Captain America: CIVIL WAR (May 5, 2016) - Final Trailer (Spider-Man) p.10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject:

8.5/10. One of the best CBM's but not close to the best. The villain was solid but could've been made to be more powerful and ruthless. I loved Black Panther and Spiderman. The fight scenes were great.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject:

I didn't see this yet, but I agree with one of the previous posters about Spiderman. How am I supposed to get excited about him when he sounds like a prepubescent little boy?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I didn't see this yet, but I agree with one of the previous posters about Spiderman. How am I supposed to get excited about him when he sounds like a prepubescent little boy?

because he pretty much is lol. I think he's supposed to be like 15-16 in the movie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

He is canonically a kid...

You have just gotten used to 30 year olds playing high schoolers in the previous Spidey movies
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

You have just gotten used to 30 year olds playing high schoolers in the previous Spidey movies

Yup.

And him being a kid is a HUGE breath of fresh air too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Saw it yesterday and loved it. Such a refreshing change from Joss Whedon's style of the Avengers smashing a horde of mindless CGI characters that was a big part of both of his movies.

Like Winter Soldier, really enjoyed the stunt work especially what they did with the Falcon. He isn't just flying around shooting people with his machine guns this time.

When we first starting talking about this movie several months ago and it was revealed how the original sequel to Winter Soldier had morphed into Civil War it sounded like it was going to be a mess. Hats off to the Russos and the screenwriters for pulling it off.

I had no problem with the ending. Marvel has learned not to close the door on any of their characters.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Is there a technical term to describe the blurry / fast forward action scenes. I really disliked those scenes where everything was in fast motion...anyone know what I'm talking about? Even simple hand to hand combat scenes were super fast, unlike in the dark knight series or in the Jason Bourne trilogies where it seems like it's in real time...not sure if anyone will understand what I just said
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Saw it yesterday and loved it. Such a refreshing change from Joss Whedon's style of the Avengers smashing a horde of mindless CGI characters that was a big part of both of his movies.

Like Winter Soldier, really enjoyed the stunt work especially what they did with the Falcon. He isn't just flying around shooting people with his machine guns this time.

When we first starting talking about this movie several months ago and it was revealed how the original sequel to Winter Soldier had morphed into Civil War it sounded like it was going to be a mess. Hats off to the Russos and the screenwriters for pulling it off.

I had no problem with the ending. Marvel has learned not to close the door on any of their characters.

Excellent post!
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

I for one, am glad that we no longer had to deal with Whedon's constant need for one-liners.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject:

One of best marvel movies: everything done right where batman v superman failed. The fight scenes are great with surprises. There's a few cool action scenes that is impressive. The comic book is a pretty long story arc and was darker but think they did a pretty good job.

People talk of superhero fatigue but if a movie is well done, people will still watch it
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
dood23 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Yup.

Just got back from seeing the movie and thought it was awesome and highly entertaining. And seeing Spiderman as the kid that he originally was the biggest treat in film.

In fact, his introductory scene was the point that movie actually really kicked in. It was good enough up to that point, but was somewhat lacking in any really energy and lightness. His youthful innocence and exuberance was the perfect counterpoint to all the the brooding testosterone and machoness - there's only so long you can go playing the same beats over and over. Without Spidey and Antman that movie would have become pretty tedious.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject:

For those asking why the Vision wasn't involved much in the airport battle:

The Vision has the power to basically kill everyone as seen when he accidentally blasts War Machine with the mind stone. He knows he is the most powerful of the Avengers and takes a passive approach throughout the whole movie. Imo he was more likely there to make sure 1) they stopped team cap and 2) nobody was killed in the process.

Neither side was really trying to really hurt each other except for BP and Winter soldier. There was a line when Black Widow and Hawk Eye were fighting was something like " we are still friends right?" - and another about "pulling punches". Or when Ant Man throws the fuel truck and says "oops I thought it was a water truck".

Imho the quips and one liners were needed to add levity and reassure the casual fans that the two sides were not trying to kill each other.

As for the movie as a whole I thought it was really well done and really enjoyed it. Spiderman was awesome and Giant Man, great surprise!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
The comic book is a pretty long story arc and was darker but think they did a pretty good job.

I read the Civil War series after this movie was first announced. By itself, it would have been difficult for Marvel to pull it off. They don't own the rights to characters who were essential to the comic version like the Fantastic Four and the sheer number of characters on both sides. The MCU is so much smaller than the comics. Other than some of the moral compromises that were made in comics that caused both sides to rethink their positions, I think they got the essence of the story.

The MCU was saddled with the additional burdens of having to bring the Winter Soldier story to some resolution and to advance their Phase 3 initiatives by introducing new characters who will have their own movies soon.

Last edited by numero-ocho on Sun May 08, 2016 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Pacing and editing was great. Which was my biggest nitpick about BvS. We actually CARE about these characters and have built up to this over the course of many films. BvS felt way too forced and was garbage in comparison.

Sure there are some things to criticize here, but I give it a 8.5 / 10. Would have liked to have seen Zemo in costume and more formidable. But that wasn't the point. He added to the Civil War-- Stark vs Rogers battle and it was handled well, imo.

Spidey was amazing and EXACTLY how he should have been portrayed from the get go. Black Panther was awesome too. I look forward to more from the Russo's moving forward. Marvel is in good hands. The DCEU? Not so much.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

*** there were AT LEAST 3 or 4 moments in the film when my 8 year old son reacted with a "WOW" or "oooohh"... I don't think he did that once with BvS. There were a bunch of great shots and action beats in this one. Yet, with BvS and 2 of the most awesome characters of all time, we get forgettable imagery and basically NO money shots. The comparisons are inevitable and I dont mean to start a geek-war, but this just makes me feel even worse about BvS.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

The Vision has the power to basically kill everyone as seen when he accidentally blasts War Machine with the mind stone. He knows he is the most powerful of the Avengers and takes a passive approach throughout the whole movie. Imo he was more likely there to make sure 1) they stopped team cap and 2) nobody was killed in the process.

So you're telling me he could have literally flown down, grabbed Bucky(who would have been utterly powerless to stop him) and then flown him into custody somewhere, but he instead decides to allow everyone to fight each other(which was only a "safe" thing because plot), and then only at the end when Bucky is about to escape, decides to intervene and blast the hangar bay?

That makes about as much sense as Tony recruiting a teenage boy to help apprehend someone he knows is a violent killer, someone he thinks bombed a building full of people just days prior. Again, Spider-Man is only safe in this instance because plot. But it doesn't take away from the absurdity of Tony putting a teenage boy's life on the line for his own crusade, only days after being confronted by a grieving mother whose son was killed in TA combat.

But that makes more sense than the plot of the movie, which involved the smartest man on the planet ceding control of the Avengers to the UN in an effort to stop collateral damage, as though that would actually solve the problem.

I know they don't want to dive deeper into the politics because then the movie becomes too heavy for the 10 year olds these movies were made for, but to not have anybody question the logic behind team Iron Man? The solution to collateral damage is training, like what Professor X does with the X-Men, not allowing untrained people into the field. I don't recall anyone bringing this up, even though it's the solution.

There isn't any sense to the political logic in this movie. I can see the Government using collateral damage as some half assed attempted to gain control of the Avengers, I cannot see that actually flying with any of its members. But for plot purposes, it did.

They missed a huge opportunity to get into the real meat of super heroes vs government control. This movie could have had meaning. But they decided to skate over the political side of the equation and dumbed down a story that had a lot of potential, and then didn't even provide anything close to a resolution to the conflict it introduced.

In TWS, we saw the destruction of Hydra and the abolition of Shield in the end. In CW, we saw...well, what did we see? I'm inclined to say, almost nothing.

I think they should have held off on the CW plotline. I read it was a reactionary move due to BvS. That actually makes sense, because it's the least organic part of the movie. The Russo brothers did an excellent job on TWS. I feel if they had just followed along with a natural sequel instead of upping the scale because of what DC was doing, it would have been better in the end. This is a much better movie with just Bucky and Black Panther at the forefront.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
22 wrote:
dood23 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Yup.

Just got back from seeing the movie and thought it was awesome and highly entertaining. And seeing Spiderman as the kid that he originally was the biggest treat in film.

In fact, his introductory scene was the point that movie actually really kicked in. It was good enough up to that point, but was somewhat lacking in any really energy and lightness. His youthful innocence and exuberance was the perfect counterpoint to all the the brooding testosterone and machoness - there's only so long you can go playing the same beats over and over. Without Spidey and Antman that movie would have become pretty tedious.

I agree 100% Spider-man was my favorite part of the movie (a nice contrast to his previous iterations on film) and Ant-Man was my second favorite part. So much packed into the movie, but (as compared to BvS) it definitely worked. They did a great job of growing the Ant-Man and Black Panther brands, and now I am looking forward to more from them. Here's to hoping that Sony doesn't mess up what Disney started with Spider-Man.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

So you're telling me he could have literally flown down, grabbed Bucky(who would have been utterly powerless to stop him) and then flown him into custody somewhere, but he instead decides to allow everyone to fight each other(which was only a "safe" thing because plot), and then only at the end when Bucky is about to escape, decides to intervene and blast the hangar bay?

That makes about as much sense as Tony recruiting a teenage boy to help apprehend someone he knows is a violent killer, someone he thinks bombed a building full of people just days prior. Again, Spider-Man is only safe in this instance because plot. But it doesn't take away from the absurdity of Tony putting a teenage boy's life on the line for his own crusade, only days after being confronted by a grieving mother whose son was killed in TA combat.

But that makes more sense than the plot of the movie, which involved the smartest man on the planet ceding control of the Avengers to the UN in an effort to stop collateral damage, as though that would actually solve the problem.

I know they don't want to dive deeper into the politics because then the movie becomes too heavy for the 10 year olds these movies were made for, but to not have anybody question the logic behind team Iron Man? The solution to collateral damage is training, like what Professor X does with the X-Men, not allowing untrained people into the field. I don't recall anyone bringing this up, even though it's the solution.

There isn't any sense to the political logic in this movie. I can see the Government using collateral damage as some half assed attempted to gain control of the Avengers, I cannot see that actually flying with any of its members. But for plot purposes, it did.

They missed a huge opportunity to get into the real meat of super heroes vs government control. This movie could have had meaning. But they decided to skate over the political side of the equation and dumbed down a story that had a lot of potential, and then didn't even provide anything close to a resolution to the conflict it introduced.

In TWS, we saw the destruction of Hydra and the abolition of Shield in the end. In CW, we saw...well, what did we see? I'm inclined to say, almost nothing.

I think they should have held off on the CW plotline. I read it was a reactionary move due to BvS. That actually makes sense, because it's the least organic part of the movie. The Russo brothers did an excellent job on TWS. I feel if they had just followed along with a natural sequel instead of upping the scale because of what DC was doing, it would have been better in the end. This is a much better movie with just Bucky and Black Panther at the forefront.

You always have to suspend belief with movies of this nature. Though I thoroughly enjoyed the character, I also thought the inclusion of Spidey was contrived. The biggest hangup I had though was that

spoiler alert (highlight to read) wrote:
the villain planned an elaborate scheme to basically show Tony a video in the end. Ever heard of UPS or YouTube?

PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

So... DC fanboy, eh?

Being overly critical here aren't you? Jeezus.
Civil War was announced and planned first... BvS and Justice League being forced so soon is all reactionary.
mswift44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

So... DC fanboy, eh?

Being overly critical here aren't you? Jeezus.
Civil War was announced and planned first... BvS and Justice League being forced so soon is all reactionary.

Hate to break it to you.

Quote:
For our part, when we finished Winter Soldier two years ago and we were thinking about doing the next one, the only thing that seemed interesting to us was to deconstruct the Marvel Universe — because where else can we go at this point? There have been 11 or 12 movies so far, all with a fairly traditional structure. Our pitch to them was: People will tell you they love chocolate ice cream — until you give it to them five days a week. It’s time to give them some rainbow sherbet. Kevin [Feige] is a maverick and he’s very sensitive to how people are responding to his content. He said he thought we might be right. And after they announced Batman v. Superman, he said, ‘you guys are absolutely right.’ We needed to do something challenging with the material or we were going to start to lose the audience.

http://screenrant.com/captain-america-civil-war-batman-v-superman-inspired/

Loved CW, btw.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

I mean yeah if you want to dissect the movie under a microscope then I suppose you have a few valid points. But we are talking about a comic book movie here not an Oscar nominee. Lol your friends must absolutely hate going to the movies with you!
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

Easiest explanation is Wanda

She's team Cap's trump card to Vision.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
22 wrote:
dood23 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Yup.

I agree 100% Spider-man was my favorite part of the movie (a nice contrast to his previous iterations on film) and Ant-Man was my second favorite part. So much packed into the movie, but (as compared to BvS) it definitely worked. They did a great job of growing the Ant-Man and Black Panther brands, and now I am looking forward to more from them. Here's to hoping that Sony doesn't mess up what Disney started with Spider-Man.

Fantastic posts
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I enjoyed it. Great fight scenes and special effects. My complaint is the same for Batman vs. Superman- these movies are too long! Too much boring dialogue and characters forced into the story. For example, I really loved Spiderman in this but the whole set up was dumb and it was just forced in to sell tickets and set up a new franchise.

Still, 8/10 will watch buy on blu ray.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Saw it, loved it.

!...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14
Jump to: