Shabbaz Napier
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Shabbaz Napier

What a coincidence. I was thinking the Lakers should look into a small/defensive pest in Shabbaz Napier (UCONN). Lo and behold, NBADRAFT.net agrees.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

They have with the Lakers at the 49th pick. I think he can go a bit higher than that. But would be nice to have one of those 90 feet, pick-up-the-ball-handler defenders.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject:

Too small?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject:

He's a pretty lockdown defender at the PG spot. He is small though, I think he's 165 pounds with a wet t-shirt.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

BUMP.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject:

The question is, do you think he could hit those shots at the NBA level?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btyafKw_3Ao

Mike I'm utterly biased towards my UCONN Huskies. I can't possibly give you an honest response.

Interestingly, lots of similar comments against Kemba Walker (around same size IIRC, and he was picked top 10) and he's doing alright. Shabazz has much better range on his shot than Walker too. Not saying he's CP3 or anything but if we had a late 1st or 2nd I'd take a flyer. Dude is just a leader/winner. We kind of need those now.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Mike I'm utterly biased towards my UCONN Huskies. I can't possibly give you an honest response.

Interestingly, lots of similar comments against Kemba Walker (around same size IIRC, and he was picked top 10) and he's doing alright. Shabazz has much better range on his shot than Walker too. Not saying he's CP3 or anything but if we had a late 1st or 2nd I'd take a flyer. Dude is just a leader/winner. We kind of need those now.

While I think Walker is an above average PG, it's tough for him to hang with great ones out there. At least Walker had some more strength and size.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

While I think Walker is an above average PG, it's tough for him to hang with great ones out there. At least Walker had some more strength and size.

yeah. but I'm talking about late 1st, early 2nd rounder. That's good value. Shabazz came to UCONN advertised as a defensive stopper. The year he won an NCAA title he was UCONN's best perimeter defender off the bench. Look at him now. Still a good perimeter defender AND a good scorer. He's improving. I'd take a flyer on him late in the 1st.

According to DX, he and Kemba are the same height with shoes, same weight. Shazz has a slightly longer wingspan too. But these are obviously pre-draft measurements.

Something about these UCONN PGs man...
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Someone Break Down The Harrison Twins For Me

These guys seem to be making shots all over the place when I turn games on. How good are they? Are they turning pro and if so where would they be picked?

MikeLG, would you break down these guys as NBA prospects?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone Break Down The Harrison Twins For Me

LakerLanny wrote:
These guys seem to be making shots all over the place when I turn games on. How good are they? Are they turning pro and if so where would they be picked?

The Harrison twins?

I'll put it this way. They shouldn't declare for the draft yet.

As for Napier, it's a VERY VERY tough call. I keep seeing him making shots while he's guarded. When he drives, I don't know if he can get away with that jump stop to get the layup he wants.

I may eat crow, but I prefer Deonte Burton over Napier. It's very clear he can create the spacing, get his shot, and finish with elite level athleticism at the rim.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:

Remember, Napier came to UCONN as a defensive stopper. The fact he's now capable at the college level of dropping 30 a game demonstrates his sheer improvement over 4 years. I would look to get him if I had a late 1st rounder. Can't teach heart/motor like that. IIRC he leads the team in rebounds at 6'0-6'1. His jumper has improved so much over 4 years and he'll always be a good defender (though huge post up PGs like Russ would give him trouble).

He's carrying this UCONN team but in the NBA, he'd have to do less, and IMO would do well. I've watched this kid grow over the past 4 years. Very pleased.
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

My beef with Shabazz is that he takes so many shots off his own dribble when looking at his splits, he's far more effective taking spot-up shots. Dude can't finish around the rim at all, but I think he has a workable mid range and three point shooting game, but more importantly, he's savvy and really draws fouls well that belies a 6'1" 182 lb frame. He'll make it work. He's taken more of a gunner guard role in recent years, but he's got enough of a PG quality. I think he's a PG.

I think defensively, he'll struggle in the NBA. But he has a good steal rate, and he fits the mold of an aggressive scoring type who can also play PG. I've long felt that he was the best senior in this draft.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject:

jorkerjork wrote:
My beef with Shabazz is that he takes so many shots off his own dribble when looking at his splits, he's far more effective taking spot-up shots. Dude can't finish around the rim at all, but I think he has a workable mid range and three point shooting game, but more importantly, he's savvy and really draws fouls well that belies a 6'1" 182 lb frame. He'll make it work. He's taken more of a gunner guard role in recent years, but he's got enough of a PG quality. I think he's a PG.

I think defensively, he'll struggle in the NBA. But he has a good steal rate, and he fits the mold of an aggressive scoring type who can also play PG. I've long felt that he was the best senior in this draft.

Again, I'm talking about late 1st, 2nd rounder. Not lottery. Shabazz would be just fine off the bench IMO. He is such a different player than when he started off (2011 champion) at UCONN.
threetimechamps
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Shabbaz Napier

yinoma2001 wrote:
What a coincidence. I was thinking the Lakers should look into a small/defensive pest in Shabbaz Napier (UCONN). Lo and behold, NBADRAFT.net agrees.

They have with the Lakers at the 49th pick. I think he can go a bit higher than that. But would be nice to have one of those 90 feet, pick-up-the-ball-handler defenders.

I am not sure he is any different from Kemba Walker. I thought Kemba was even a more explosive scorer. So I would pass on Napier unless he is a second round pick.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Shabbaz Napier

threetimechamps wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I am not sure he is any different from Kemba Walker. I thought Kemba was even a more explosive scorer. So I would pass on Napier unless he is a second round pick.

I'm projecting him as a late 1st, early 2nd rounder.
threetimechamps
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Shabbaz Napier

yinoma2001 wrote:
threetimechamps wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I am just not a fan of small guards. Small guards are too much of a liability on the boards and on defense unless you are saying he is a superstar. I would prefer the lakers draft wing athletic players or a defensive minded Big. Jim Buss vision seems to be to get the Lakers back to that run and gun era. If that is the case we need defensive minded Bigs and athletic wing players who can hit a 3 similar to Sefolosha or Kawhi Leonard.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Shabbaz Napier

threetimechamps wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
threetimechamps wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I am just not a fan of small guards. Small guards are too much of a liability on the boards and on defense unless you are saying he is a superstar. I would prefer the lakers draft wing athletic players or a defensive minded Big. Jim Buss vision seems to be to get the Lakers back to that run and gun era. If that is the case we need defensive minded Bigs and athletic wing players who can hit a 3 similar to Sefolosha or Kawhi Leonard.

Bear in mind Shabazz leads his team (IIRC) in rebounds.
threetimechamps
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Shabbaz Napier

[quote="yinoma2001"]
threetimechamps wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
threetimechamps wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kemba: 5.4RPG last year of college
Shabazz: 5.9RPG last year of college
Kemba: 4.1RPG in NBA

Great point if you believe he can rebound at that same clip in the NBA. I do think Napier > Marshall. If that is worth anything.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Maybe he could be a rich man's isaiah thomas.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject:

And to be fair, here is some feedback on Shabazz:

Quote:
Napier has been just awesome for UConn in this tournament. He has proved to be a wizard with the ball, and his clutch 3-point shooting numbers in his past three games (12-for-23 against Villanova, Iowa State and Michigan State) and stellar defense have propelled the Huskies into the Final Four.

Shabazz Napier has averaged more than 23 points per game in the NCAA tournament. But as an NBA prospect, there are still so many questions. He's still widely regarded as an undersized combo guard. While he has made terrific plays in the tournament, his decision-making can be very inconsistent and at times borders on selfish. He hasn't really shown those flaws in the tournament, and some GMs and scouts are arguing that he has matured as a player and deserves first-round consideration. But many scouts I spoke with are wary to call him a first-rounder based just on a great run in the tournament.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/10707760/kentucky-wildcats-freshmen-improving-nba-draft-stock-thanks-ncaa-tournament-play

Again, I have repeatedly acknowledged that I would take him as a very late 1st/2nd rounder. His defense can be translated IMO to the NBA level as an off the bench PG defender at the very least.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Someone Break Down The Harrison Twins For Me

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

The Harrison twins?

Could you explain a little bit more, Mike? I am not too familiar with their games, but what do you see in them that needs more college exposure as opposed to elite NBA level training?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Someone Break Down The Harrison Twins For Me

Cutheon wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

The Harrison twins?

Could you explain a little bit more, Mike? I am not too familiar with their games, but what do you see in them that needs more college exposure as opposed to elite NBA level training?

They're both shooting guards, maybe Aaron (I think he was the more hyped one and the "PG") can be a combo guard. I heard a podcast that talked about how they basically decided when they were younger that one would be the PG and that was that.

Aaron isn't really a shot creator or explosive enough at the PG spot. His brother is less hyped but has shown to be a decent SG.

I don't see either of them in the lottery. They may benefit from another year and hopefully play more non-PG positions.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

I got my first real look at Shabazz during the tourney. I really like his game, and I don't just give out compliments that easily. What I liked was his ability to get into the paint, with what look like could be Chris Paul-esque handles. He may very well be an elite ball handler at the next level. Secondly, I saw his ability to find teammates in good position once he made his initial penetration into the lane.

This said, I haven't had a chance to completely scout his personal offensive repertoire. I do know that he'll be able to get himself shots and get to the basket, but I'll have to find more game film of him to analyze his game more.

Very interesting prospect.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
I got my first real look at Shabazz during the tourney. I really like his game, and I don't just give out compliments that easily. What I liked was his ability to get into the paint, with what look like could be Chris Paul-esque handles. He may very well be an elite ball handler at the next level. Secondly, I saw his ability to find teammates in good position once he made his initial penetration into the lane.

This said, I haven't had a chance to completely scout his personal offensive repertoire. I do know that he'll be able to get himself shots and get to the basket, but I'll have to find more game film of him to analyze his game more.

Very interesting prospect.

OS, I've watched the kid blossom before my eyes from 2011 (when he won an NCAA title as Kemba's backup) until now. He went from a bench PG who emphasized defense, to a guy capable of dropping 30 at the college level.

Some of his moves won't work in the NBA, but as a backup PG, you can't ask for more. He can still defend well against PGs (did you see the clinic he and Boatright put up against Florida's PGs?) and has the ability to be a 10ppg peformer at the NBA level. He's improved his passing as well.

Simply put, he's improved tremendously over 4 years at UCONN. He went from a non-NBA prospect to IMO a late 1st rounder to 2nd rounder. A team at the end of the draft will be happy to see him on the board. And if you get him in the 2nd round, that's gold.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Someone Break Down The Harrison Twins For Me

Cutheon wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

The Harrison twins?

Neither run a half-court offense well. Both of them get the ball and force the issue attacking the basket. While they're relatively big guards, neither of them have outstanding quickness or speed, nor do they have tremendous strength or shake to blow by defenders.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: