*** 2013-2014 General NBA Discussion Thread ***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject:

The NBA seems dead set against ever moving a team, especially since the whole Thunder thing. Maybe Adam Silver is more open to it. Who knows.

!...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

Sure. You can expect to hear the E word in the next few years. If the league can take care of all of the arena issues and the like in places like Milwaukee (a/k/a extorting the taxpayers), then the league can look at putting E-word teams in places like Seattle, San Jose, and maybe Nashville.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
PrairieAve wrote:
https://twitter.com/Complex_Tech/status/467311551134044160/photo/1
We can only hope.

get em the (bleep) out of LA, please.

yes! PLEASE GET THE (bleep) OUT OF LA!!!!
jim93
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Isnt that a loose ball foul on Wade?
jim93
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Hill does the Durant sweep yet doesnt get the call?
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Series over.
Indy sucks

F you Indiana
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:

That's (bleep) amazing
https://twitter.com/4Gressy14/status/468938909154832387/photo/1
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject:

ronnyjeremy wrote:
That's (bleep) amazing

You don't need a statistical test to see that this is an anomaly.
What is the explanation?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
What is the explanation?

Well, for starters, it may or may not be accurate. Lebron has played 149 career playoff games. The numbers don't add up. He could have a disproportionate number of wins with Crawford, though. I remember seeing numbers like that kicked around for various teams and players in the past, though nothing quite that extreme.
LHQ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Spurs winning by 30?
bryants2hot2handle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject:

ronnyjeremy wrote:
That's (bleep) amazing

(bleep) the heat. This league is so corrupt. Look for James to somehow end up back in CLE after they get another #1 pick next year, and eventually become a powerhouse. James making a return to the team he backstabbed = good press/story lines + $$$ in revenue
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
shnxx wrote:
What is the explanation?

Well, for starters, it may or may not be accurate. Lebron has played 149 career playoff games. The numbers don't add up. He could have a disproportionate number of wins with Crawford, though. I remember seeing numbers like that kicked around for various teams and players in the past, though nothing quite that extreme.

After extremely limited research, the supposed information has been kicked around since last year. In any event, someone wrote an article wherein he claims to have done the research this year and states that Bron hasn't even played in 27 playoff games officiated by Joey.

Quote:
While unfounded, many of these claims will pick up steam and result in people quoting them in fact. Just out of interest, I wanted to see if those numbers were true. After about 5 seconds of research, I found that the numbers in that tweet were false, as they totaled to just 119 (or 120, as the tweets original math was even off). Throughout his career, James has played 147 games, so my knowledge of elementary school math confirmed that this tweet was indeed false.

I was still interested, though, in if Crawford truly did favor LeBron in the games that he officiated. I didn’t really have any expectations going into it, but I came out a little bit surprised with the findings:

Contrary to popular belief, James was winning percentage dropped by a pretty solid margin (from .669 to .521) in games in which Crawford was an official. Though it’s an admittedly small sample size, I would have to say that any notion of Crawford being biased towards James would have to be thrown out the window.

There may be an argument to be had regarding the overall competency of officiating in the NBA as a whole, but one thing can be said for certain: Joey Crawford does not help LeBron James win basketball games.

http://truschoolsports.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/lebron-james-actual-playoff-record-with-and-without-joey-crawford/

I'm running on my phone and can't get the article to open, which I do recall reading, and was purportedly written in 2011, but here's a summation and a quote from the article:

Quote:
When it comes to the Dallas Mavericks, referee Danny Crawford is as fair and balanced as Fox News. Over the years, Crawford has caught the ire of the Mavericks and their fans for good reason. It seems that Crawford is just a tad biased when it comes to calling playoff games that feature Dallas. Well, only if you believe in math and facts and whatnot. Tim MacMahon of ESPN Dallas ran the numbers:

The Mavs have a 2-16 record in playoff games officiated by Crawford, including 16 losses in the last 17 games. Dallas is 48-41 in the rest of their playoff games during the ownership tenure of Mark Cuban, who has been fined millions of dollars in the last 11 years for publicly complaining about officiating.

“Not saying a word,” Cuban wrote in an email when asked to comment on the Mavs’ playoff history with Crawford.

An NBA spokesman did not immediately reply to an email requesting comment about whether the league has reviewed the Mavericks playoff games officiated by Crawford or considered not using him in a Dallas series due to a record that is at least a statistical outlier.

I recall making this post a few years ago:

Lowest Merion wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

So youre telling me youve never seen the refs "even it up" in the last 5 or 6 minutes of a game? When it no longer matters?

You a new fan by chance? (<-- sarcasm, in case you missed it)

Am I a new fan? Oh, that's hilarious. Let me write that one down so I can use it in the future. Okay. Done. Cool. To your question.

As to the refs "evening it up" in the last 5 or 6 minutes of a game. When it "no longer matters?" Even assuming this occurs, which I'm not saying it does, why would it matter if the refs "evened it up" when it no longer matters? If it "doesn't matter" then by definition the outcome of the game hasn't been affected. That's not a very interesting question in that I don't think the answer to the question would indicate any league wide conspiracy. It may indicate that a particular ref is interested in the point spread, but that's about it.

And sure, there's at least one example I know of that's a little disconcerting in that regard. Prior to the start of the 2010 playoffs, and since the 2001 playoffs, against the spread, the Mavs are 4-14 with Joey Crawford officiating and 45-40 in all other playoff games. That could of course be coincidence, but, it's decent circumstantial evidence that it's not. Put it this way, if I were a gambler, and Joey Crawford were officiating a Mavs' playoff game, I wouldn't take the Mavs and the spread if Crawford were officiating. And the supposed bad blood between Joey Crawford and the Spurs. Aware of that too.

And yeah, I'm aware of other weirdness, including Danny Crawford's bizarre history with the Mavs. The Mavs are 2-16 in playoff games officiated by Crawford since 2001 and 46-39 in all other playoff games. That is certainly crazy. That includes games 3 and 6 of the 2006 Finals against the Heat where Wade shot 39 free throws combined. Is this indicative of a direct order from Stern to Crawford to job the Mavs, or does Crawford just hate Cuban, Dirk, or the city of Dallas? I don't know.

Another example. The ongoing weirdness between Bill Kennedy and Doc Rivers. You may remember the game where Rivers got tossed by Kennedy and Kennedy was thereafter fined by the league for doing so. Donaghy has stated that there's bad blood between Kennedy and Rivers because, according to Donaghy, Kennedy is gay, and Rivers allegedly called him a gay slur, and that Kennedy has had it out for Rivers ever since. I don't know if Donaghy's allegations are true, but Kennedy and Rivers definitely have a history. Again, I'm not seeing how this is indicative of a Stern mandated conspiracy. This instance would just seem to be bad blood between Kennedy and the Celtics. I don't see Laker fans complaining about a ref that purportedly has it out for the Celtics

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=3644975#3644975
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Another HEAT cakewalk to the finals. *Sigh*

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject:

In retrospect I rather have the Pacers lose to the Hawks at least I don't hate them.

To lose to the Heat for the 3rd year in a row.

ESPN needs to stop with the rivalry because its nonexistent not to mention the series is a complete dud.
bryants2hot2handle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Kobe > Paul George >> Lebron James when officiating is not a factor.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject:

bryants2hot2handle wrote:
Kobe > Paul George >> Lebron James when officiating is not a factor.

How do you define when officiating is a factor? The two most lopsided foul games were the two games the Pacers won.
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
That's (bleep) amazing

What is the explanation?

Question. How many of those games Crawford ref'd were Heat or Cav's home games? Still appears awfully lopsided though.
usa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Might be the easiest 3peat any team has done.
bryants2hot2handle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject:

GINOBILI for THREE and the STEAL. 15.9 seconds from the NBA Finals
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject:

usa wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Might be the easiest 3peat any team has done.

Especially when you factor in the lockout.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject:

Chick-N-Stew wrote:
shnxx wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
That's (bleep) amazing

What is the explanation?

Question. How many of those games Crawford ref'd were Heat or Cav's home games? Still appears awfully lopsided though.

See LM's post above. The tweet was just plain wrong. Lebron does worse in games refereed by Joey Crawford.
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Old Man Dunkin'
PhillyDoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Champs pull off another steal in draft as Anderson drops to 30

SAN ANTONIO SPURS | GRADE: A

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11139035/2014-nba-draft-grades-every-team?refresh=true
Round 1: Kyle Anderson (30)

Round 2: None

Analysis: I think it was fate that the closest player we've ever seen to Boris Diaw just happened to be drafted by the Spurs the year Diaw hits the free-agent market. I suspect the Spurs will re-sign Diaw and empower him to mentor Anderson. Both guys are essentially huge point guards who see the floor as well as any little guy in the league.

Anderson can rebound and even proved this season he can shoot it a bit. He can't defend anyone, which is a problem, but I love this fit. If he's going to succeed in the NBA, this is the team to do it with.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Champs pull off another steal in draft as Anderson drops to 30

PhillyDoc wrote:
SAN ANTONIO SPURS | GRADE: A

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11139035/2014-nba-draft-grades-every-team?refresh=true
Round 1: Kyle Anderson (30)

Round 2: None

Analysis: I think it was fate that the closest player we've ever seen to Boris Diaw just happened to be drafted by the Spurs the year Diaw hits the free-agent market. I suspect the Spurs will re-sign Diaw and empower him to mentor Anderson. Both guys are essentially huge point guards who see the floor as well as any little guy in the league.

Anderson can rebound and even proved this season he can shoot it a bit. He can't defend anyone, which is a problem, but I love this fit. If he's going to succeed in the NBA, this is the team to do it with.

Still can't believe this guy fell to you guys.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Just locked down two seats (Lower Level Section 121 @ the Thomas And Mack Center) for me and my son to watch TEAM USA play against each other this Friday.

Super pumped up.
I get to use some of my PTO this Friday from work to hit up Vegas this weekend for some fun.

Durant, Paul George, Lillard, Irving, Anthony Davis and the return of Derrick Rose.

I hope they all play and not pull a Blake Griffin or Kevin Love. LoL

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 72 of 73
Jump to: