Wesley Johnson is pretty good.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject:

He's like a taller Shannon Brown in terms of athleticism.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Johnson is very good player. Awesome D, rebounding, hustle, and jumping ability. It's a breath of fresh air having an athletic team on multiple positions again.
aachan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject:

Aside from taking a few ill advised shots in the first couple games of the season, I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Good defender, slashes, decent 3-ball, fights for rebounds, hustles for loose balls and great athleticism.

I'm excited to see what it'll look like watching Kobe play next to an athletic wing
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
It's ironic that Williams and Johnson have been getting playing time from MDA because of defense, in spite of their offense.
its because they can both shoot. and the defense knows it. so they have to guard them both on the perimeter. put jhill in and he does a hand off play at the 3pt line. if he has the ball the defense sags into the paint 5 feet daring him to shoot that. the defense wont do that to wes or williams. they guard them. making more room for cutters off the ball or slashers on the ball(xavier/meeks)
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

except athletically he's nothing like Shannon Brown..... Shannon was a freak of an athlete, Wesley Johnson is a good athlete.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject:

He is a very raw marion at this point. At times the chemistry between him and Nash has given me flashbacks to some of the actions that Nash and Marion used to run.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

except athletically he's nothing like Shannon Brown..... Shannon was a freak of an athlete, Wesley Johnson is a good athlete.

Disagree. People perceive Shannon to be a freak athlete because he was short and could jump really high. but that was about it. Johnson is tall but incredibly bouncy and quick. I can understand thinking Wesley is perhaps less of an athlete, but "nothing like" seems to be a stretch.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject:

It's called signing players that have youth and actual potential vs. old players and players with an extremely low ceilings(morris, ebanks, etc.).

I don't know how this season is going to go, but the chemistry is also a help. He's been rejected by two teams and yet he's with the best franchise in the world and given another shot at it all. That's also an ego boost even if he isn't lights out on O. Do like how he cuts and D has been solid so far. Getting 3s is a bonus at times.

Bye.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject:

Wes is on pace to have a break out year.... I really hope he keeps it up... just imagine what the Wolves and Suns will think... if Wes becomes a Star here.
CigaretteProtein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Disagree. People perceive Shannon to be a freak athlete because he was short and could jump really high. but that was about it. Johnson is tall but incredibly bouncy and quick. I can understand thinking Wesley is perhaps less of an athlete, but "nothing like" seems to be a stretch.

I have to agree that Wesley isn't quite on Shannon's level athletically. If he were, he'd pretty much be a Shawn Marion.

Vertical leaps between the 3

Shannon 43 inch
Marion 42 inch
Wesley 37 inch

Wesley is however very quick off his feet and his no step vertical is excellent. 32 inch. I'd say he's a great athlete, no doubt. Much better than Ariza for example. But I do have to agree he isn't quite a freak athlete like Shannon or the real Shawn Marion.

All in all, Wesley Johnson and Ellias Harris are the best athletes on our team.
Can't go wrong with picking either. According to all draft measurements, Harris might have a slight edge but they're really close. I think. Johnson's better standing reach gives him some advantage over Harris. And Johnson is also deceptively strong.
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject:

Johnson needs to get more consistent with his shot and he needs to get a dribbling move that he can fall back to when he attack his man.

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject:

CigaretteProtein wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

I have to agree that Wesley isn't quite on Shannon's level athletically. If he were, he'd pretty much be a Shawn Marion.

Shannon 43 inch
Marion 42 inch
Wesley 37 inch

Wesley is however very quick off his feet and his no step vertical is excellent. 32 inch. I'd say he's a great athlete, no doubt. Much better than Ariza for example. But I do have to agree he isn't quite a freak athlete like Shannon or the real Shawn Marion.

Can't go wrong with picking either. According to all draft measurements, Harris might have a slight edge but they're really close. I think. Johnson's better standing reach gives him some advantage over Harris. And Johnson is also deceptively strong.

when does the D-League start? harris needs to get some playing time
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
He and Williams have surprised me, they are much better than I thought they would be.
You mean Henry right? I mean Williams has been stinking it up.

I guess you might think that if you don't watch defense. Both his man D and help D has been as good as anyone on the team. As for Henry, I watched him play in Memphis, he isn't surprising me at all.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
It's ironic that Williams and Johnson have been getting playing time from MDA because of defense, in spite of their offense.

True, I am sure that revelation would send some over the edge.
CigaretteProtein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
CigaretteProtein wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Shannon 43 inch
Marion 42 inch
Wesley 37 inch

when does the D-League start? harris needs to get some playing time

Saturday, 23rd of this month is the first game for the DFenders. I also want Harris to get some exposure, Kelly as well. It would be awesome if Harris could contribute right away because then we could move Wesley to the starting line up, utilize pick and roll between him and Nash, something they can be deadly at....and yet you wouldn't lose a bit of energy or athleticism with Harris in there.
However, realistically, Harris is likely 2 or 3 years away from contributing.

I gotta hand it to Mitch though. Just excellent choices. Excellent pickups. Focus on athleticism. It's the way to go.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject:

CigaretteProtein wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Shannon 43 inch
Marion 42 inch
Wesley 37 inch

Also need to note, that even though shannon a has a higher vertical leap, Wesley will out just him anytime because of the height difference and wingspan.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

LOL.

I'd say he was like a shorter, thinner, Shaquille O'Neal but with better FT shooting, more range, and a poorer post game and less physical dominance.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject:

when Kobe is back wouldnt mind seeing Wes closing games at either SG or SF to be defensive stopper to Kobes offensive closer
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject:

CigaretteProtein wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Shannon 43 inch
Marion 42 inch
Wesley 37 inch

Maybe Wes' vertical leap improved - i havnt seen many players get up like him in recent years
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Gotta give MDA some props, thus far Wes has looked pretty ideal in a Shawn. Marion type role. I'd like to see a little more if him at the three to see how he does, but he's been thriving. Hopefully he keeps it up and doesn't fall into one of the funks he's infamous for in his career.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Agree with this. Shannon was actually a pretty explosive athlete. Deceptively quick too, and had huge hands, which really helped him finish off lobs and fast break dunks.

Wes is also a very good athlete too though, and probably is the better player of the two, as Shannon's downfall was his love of the early shot clock perimeter contested J

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Really, really good game from him last night. Did all of the defensive/rebounding stuff that's gotten him minutes, and very little of the boneheaded offensive plays that have driven me crazy thus far. The only one was a bad Corner 3 attempt in the 4th.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject:

i'd be very surprised if wes doesn't start when kobe returns.
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject:

He needs to bulk up to play at the #4 could defiantly play the 2 & 3 best positions for him IMO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Really, really good game from him last night. Did all of the defensive/rebounding stuff that's gotten him minutes, and very little of the boneheaded offensive plays that have driven me crazy thus far. The only one was a bad Corner 3 attempt in the 4th.

He appears to be settling down a bit, realizing that he doesn't have to put up shots to stay on the floor.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: