Where does Anthony Davis rank among big men?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:

ChrisCrossed wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
shnxx wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
He's not #1, but considering what he is doing at his age I would only trade him for LeBron or Durant.

Who is number one?

Among big men?

Howard is still the best. No other big impacts the game like he does on both sides of the ball. But I still wouldn't trade Davis for him.

Davis isn't a two way player?

He is, but he still doesn't have Howards impact. I doubt the Pelicans would be in the lotto now if Howard were there instead of Davis. It's only his 2nd year though.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Davis defensively is in about the same place Ibaka was 3 years ago (same age too), amazing shot blocker but a little lost out there.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Davis is better than Howard right now... Davis reminds me of Kevin Garnett... and if Davis is able to absorb contact better, he will be like a clone of KG.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject:

If I were starting a team... I'd pick Ant Davis over Blake Griffin.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Great defender. 6 blocks tonight against the Clippers, and blew up the final play where the Clippers had a chance to tie or go ahead at the buzzer.
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:
If I were starting a team... I'd pick Ant Davis over Blake Griffin.

I would take him over a lot of players.
The fact that I like him is also a reason, but a 1) young 2) terrific 3) big guy 4) that can more like crazy, who 5) is very good on both ends and 6) seems like a down to Earth, nice kid, yes I would pick him over a lot of guys.
MoriArty
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject:

Ant Davis is a top 5 big in the game right this second. In the future, barring injury ... I feel like he'll be the clear-cut #1. He still has a shot and handle from growing up playing as a guard prior to the growth spurt. Speaking of which:

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/529ca4f169bedd8a57851f3d/new-orleans-pelicans-center-anthony-davis-out-indefinitely-with-a-broken-hand.jpg

Look at the frame. He's not done filling out. I think dude's gonna be a force for years to come.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject:

At this moment, I would only say Love is having a better season as a big man, as I consider LeBron, due to his splitting of minutes, to still be a tweener.

Davis is second to Love in Net Production, PER, WS/48, third behind Love and Griffin in Win Shares due to his injury, so he, and maybe Griffin, are duking it out for the #2 big man. Then comes the Noah, Hibbert, Howard, Jordan, BLopez, Nowitski, Duncan (at 37 just as good as Howard in his prime) group, with Cousins trying to get in.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject:

Love is only having a good season stat wise, not performance wise. He has lost many games for the timberwolves in the fourth quarter.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Love is only having a good season stat wise, not performance wise. He has lost many games for the timberwolves in the fourth quarter.

Hard to imagine that his stats and his performance are that much difference. His 82game +/- is 18.8, the best in the league. His on/off as measured by basketball reference is +14.9 http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/loveke01/on-off/2014/ and though they don't have a list of players, is at or near the best (Davis is at +2.5, Durant +6.7, LeBron +4.6, Griffin +10.1, Howard, +2.3 and Harden +9.3 for comparison) (though to be fair, Corey Brewer +11.7 and Ricky Rubio +13.6, also have high on/offs).

So, at the very least, his unit is much better on than off, and within the unit, he is the best, by far, player.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

As of now, top 5 or even top 3 big men (I am including both C's and PF's here)

In the future? First ballot HoF and one of the greatest players the game will ever have.

He is a Transcendent talent.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject:

He's knocking on the door of being the best big man in the league. He's got all the skills, he's just got to learn the mental aspects.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Individually it seems Anthony Davis is better than most bigs in the NBA. But his team doesn't win. That's important. He has to get his team in the playoffs. By year 3, guys like KG/Dwight etc. were at least carrying their team to the playoffs.

I'd easily say Anthony Davis is one of the best players in the NBA right now to have as a foundation player. I wouldn't trade him for any other player in the league right now, I think. However, he has to start winning more games as the team's best player. Not like he is playing with LA Laker type of supporting talent.

Holiday (Was an AS last year, didn't suit AD's game)
Eric Gordon (20 ppg SG)
Anderson (Dwight made him look amazing)

I think he has enough talent to be in the playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
K0b3Bry4nT
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Eric Gordon (20 ppg SG)

Agreed, but look at how many games all of those guys have missed with injury this season. I think they would be contending for the playoffs if not for that. They were a completely different team with Ryan Anderson.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject:

One thing i'll have to say is that patience is crucial with draft picks. Wall and Davis are two examples of #1's who I thought were really overrated, but have slowly developed into really good players.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject:

#1 for ugliest.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Individually it seems Anthony Davis is better than most bigs in the NBA. But his team doesn't win. That's important. He has to get his team in the playoffs. By year 3, guys like KG/Dwight etc. were at least carrying their team to the playoffs.

I'd easily say Anthony Davis is one of the best players in the NBA right now to have as a foundation player. I wouldn't trade him for any other player in the league right now, I think. However, he has to start winning more games as the team's best player. Not like he is playing with LA Laker type of supporting talent.

Eric Gordon (20 ppg SG)

Except they practically didn't even play all season so there goes that.

Jrue Holiday has missed hasn't played in the last 40 games to date.

Ryan Anderson has missed nearly the entire season.

Losing the second and third best player on the team for nearly the entire season is kind of major. Gordon is garbage imo. I wouldn't even take him on THIS Lakers team.
lakersfan22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
shnxx wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
He's not #1, but considering what he is doing at his age I would only trade him for LeBron or Durant.

Who is number one?

Among big men?

Howard is still the best. No other big impacts the game like he does on both sides of the ball. But I still wouldn't trade Davis for him.

He is, but he still doesn't have Howards impact. I doubt the Pelicans would be in the lotto now if Howard were there instead of Davis. It's only his 2nd year though.
Take out Kobe last year, and were in the lotto
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:

He is, but he still doesn't have Howards impact. I doubt the Pelicans would be in the lotto now if Howard were there instead of Davis.

lol
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

lakersfan22 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
shnxx wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Who is number one?

Among big men?

Put this year's AD on last year's Lakers squad and who knows what happens! Would have definitely had a much better record
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

lakersfan22 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
shnxx wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Who is number one?

Among big men?

True. However, take out Howard last year and y'all are still in the lotto even with Kobe playing as well as he was. When I watch the Pelicans I see Davis dropping numbers but not having as much of an impact in winning as Howard does when I watch Houston play. I think they would be in the playoffs with a healthy Howard, as his teams have been pretyt much every season he has been healthy and old enough to drink.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
lakersfan22 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
shnxx wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Who is number one?

Among big men?

True. However, take out Howard last year and y'all are still in the lotto even with Kobe playing as well as he was. When I watch the Pelicans I see Davis dropping numbers but not having as much of an impact in winning as Howard does when I watch Houston play. I think they would be in the playoffs with a healthy Howard, as his teams have been pretyt much every season he has been healthy and old enough to drink.

So they'd be in the playoffs with Stiesma instead of Ryan Anderson all season and Brian Roberts instead of Jrue Holiday? Howard would have carried a lineup of Roberts, Stiesma, Gordon, Evans and the vaunted Aminu off the bench to the playoffs in the Western Conference. Yeah. Right. Seems some of you guys just missed that part when "watching" the games.

Btw, I mentioned before that Eric Gordon is an overrated net negative to the team. He went down last 6 games. They're 4-2 in those games with a win over the Clippers, a streaking Nets team and Miami to boot.

Is he yet at Howard's impact? I'd say probably not. But some of you guys saying he doesn't affect wins clearly are exposing who is actually watching the games and who's box score watching.

Or we can just recite the starting lineup and say "wow so much talent and he can't win".
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
lakersfan22 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
shnxx wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Who is number one?

Among big men?

So they'd be in the playoffs with Stiesma instead of Ryan Anderson all season and Brian Roberts instead of Jrue Holiday? Howard would have carried a lineup of Roberts, Stiesma, Gordon, Evans and the vaunted Aminu off the bench to the playoffs in the Western Conference. Yeah. Right. Seems some of you guys just missed that part when "watching" the games.

Btw, I mentioned before that Eric Gordon is an overrated net negative to the team. He went down last 6 games. They're 4-2 in those games with a win over the Clippers, a streaking Nets team and Miami to boot.

Is he yet at Howard's impact? I'd say probably not. But some of you guys saying he doesn't affect wins clearly are exposing who is actually watching the games and who's box score watching.

Or we can just recite the starting lineup and say "wow so much talent and he can't win".

I didn't say he doesn't impact wins. I said he doesn't impact wins as much as Howard does. Yes, I think the Pelicans would be in the playoffs with Howard.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: