Eyes on the Prospects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Since I think we need to take a risk on a franchise type player potential, I would take either of...if possible.

Wiggins
Exum

Parker and Randle have 20-10 potential I think but neither looks like they will be two way players. Parker is down right bad on D. Embiid looks like a defensive presence and maybe 10-10. He doesn't strike me as a super star potential.

Randle is a much much better defender than Parker. Not even close.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Since I think we need to take a risk on a franchise type player potential, I would take either of...if possible.

Wiggins
Exum

Parker and Randle have 20-10 potential I think but neither looks like they will be two way players. Parker is down right bad on D. Embiid looks like a defensive presence and maybe 10-10. He doesn't strike me as a super star potential.

Disagree.

Randle can be a two way player. Despite media bias, the physical tools are there. Laterally quick for a guy his size. Strong. Won't block shots but can stay in front of his man. It's on coaching to make him a defender. Jabari? Best case scenario is that he becomes a great team defender.

Embiid is going to be a star if he is healthy. Look at what Bynum did in the short time he was healthy. I'd say Embiid is arguably developing at a faster rate than Bynum with better physical tools. Bynum may be bigger but he was so uncoordinated down low he didn't use that strength on offense at all. Embiid is quicker and more fluid and has better balance on the catch.

Defensively he can be an anchor.

Simply put, I'd say some of the most untradeable young stars are all bigs. Guys like Drummond, Cousins, and Jonas are all not exactly "Allstars" but it will take an Allstar like package of a deal to get those guys. Why? Because the need for a big man is still high in this league. Davis isn't the 3rd best player in the league but he is easily the 3rd most untouchable. If healthy you don't pass on Embiid.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:
defense wrote:

Wiggins
Exum

Disagree.

Randle can be a two way player. Despite media bias, the physical tools are there. Laterally quick for a guy his size. Strong. Won't block shots but can stay in front of his man. It's on coaching to make him a defender. Jabari? Best case scenario is that he becomes a great team defender.

Embiid is going to be a star if he is healthy. Look at what Bynum did in the short time he was healthy. I'd say Embiid is arguably developing at a faster rate than Bynum with better physical tools. Bynum may be bigger but he was so uncoordinated down low he didn't use that strength on offense at all. Embiid is quicker and more fluid and has better balance on the catch.

Simply put, I'd say some of the most untradeable young stars are all bigs. Guys like Drummond, Cousins, and Jonas are all not exactly "Allstars" but it will take an Allstar like package of a deal to get those guys. Why? Because the need for a big man is still high in this league. Davis isn't the 3rd best player in the league but he is easily the 3rd most untouchable. If healthy you don't pass on Embiid.

I agree with everything you said except the part where you compare Embiid to Bynum. I think Bynum was able to get away with what he did because he was so big. I think Bynum was like 285 coming in. I just don't see Embiid becoming a guy to can go to on the block through out a game. Maybe I am wrong though, we shall see.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:

Wiggins
Exum

I agree Randle is much better than Parker but that's not saying much because Parker is horrible. You like your bigs to be able to defend and Randle needs to improve quite a bit I think.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:

Wiggins
Exum

I agree Randle is much better than Parker but that's not saying much because Parker is horrible. You like your bigs to be able to defend and Randle needs to improve quite a bit I think.

I was impressed by Randle's defense in the NCAA tourney, and particularly after WCS went down. I think a lot of players on that team played lazy defense knowing a 7 footer was back there.

I think he will be at worst an average NBA defender at the PF spot. He's a lot more agile/athletic than I thought.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
TheElectronica wrote:
defense wrote:

Wiggins
Exum

Disagree.

I agree with everything you said except the part where you compare Embiid to Bynum. I think Bynum was able to get away with what he did because he was so big. I think Bynum was like 285 coming in. I just don't see Embiid becoming a guy to can go to on the block through out a game. Maybe I am wrong though, we shall see.

Embiid is about 30 pounds lighter but much more quicker.

The issue I had with Bynum regarding his size was that a) it was detrimental to his knees and b) he didn't utilize it offensively. Against string beans like DJ he was able to go to work, but guys like Howard and Perkins kept him out of the paint relatively easy. Why? His center of gravity wasn't low at all. It went back to his stance when catching the ball as well as his ability to "throw" his weight around if you will. You saw Shaq at 285 and he was absolutely dominate. He pushed guys around. You even see Randle at 250 and he is able to push players around and get to that spot. Bynum at 285 had a huge weight advantage but rarely did you see him bump and turn around. He relied on his footwork much more than he did his size on offense. It obviously helped, but for Embiid I don't see it as that big of an issue. He's lighter which means less pressure on his knees as well as better mobility on the defensive end.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:
defense wrote:
TheElectronica wrote:
defense wrote:

Wiggins
Exum

Disagree.

Embiid is about 30 pounds lighter but much more quicker.

The issue I had with Bynum regarding his size was that a) it was detrimental to his knees and b) he didn't utilize it offensively. Against string beans like DJ he was able to go to work, but guys like Howard and Perkins kept him out of the paint relatively easy. Why? His center of gravity wasn't low at all. It went back to his stance when catching the ball as well as his ability to "throw" his weight around if you will. You saw Shaq at 285 and he was absolutely dominate. He pushed guys around. You even see Randle at 250 and he is able to push players around and get to that spot. Bynum at 285 had a huge weight advantage but rarely did you see him bump and turn around. He relied on his footwork much more than he did his size on offense. It obviously helped, but for Embiid I don't see it as that big of an issue. He's lighter which means less pressure on his knees as well as better mobility on the defensive end.

They are definitely not two of a kind. Embiid is mobile (Olajuwon), Bynum is lumbering(Robert Parrish). I'll take mobile without the back issues for 2014 Alex...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject:

jorkerjork wrote:
If anyone wants to know the players I'm fans of, here's my link:
http://jorkvsbball.blogspot.com/2014/03/mock-draft-2014-scouting-report-based.html

I have been wondering how Nurcik would fare in the NBA.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject:

Just curious to hear what people think of Adreian Payne.

If his game translates, I think he could be a fantastic pro - especially on defense.

Is he good enough to trade down for??
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:

If his game translates, I think he could be a fantastic pro - especially on defense.

I think he'll be a solid contributor in the NBA, but not a major impact player. Plus, he's almost 24 (?) going up against much younger competition (not that he's a bad player, but makes it tough to gauge sometimes).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:

The right inbetween of LaMarcus Aldridge and Brian Cook.

I still like him a lot as a player. All three guys don't have the best post bases.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
B_P wrote:

I still like him a lot as a player. All three guys don't have the best post bases.

How were Payne's measurements? Without knowing it, he looks like he has Taj Gibson's size, but a LMA style game (with college 3 point range).
thetruthteller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject:

A guy I like a lot, and who I feel was maybe the NCAA Tournaments best PF, and that was Tennessee Jarnell Stokes. A big powerful strong guy who brings a Attitude to the floor. And is a great passer as well. If he goes in round 2, someone will get a huge steal there.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject:

thetruthteller wrote:
A guy I like a lot, and who I feel was maybe the NCAA Tournaments best PF, and that was Tennessee Jarnell Stokes. A big powerful strong guy who brings a Attitude to the floor. And is a great passer as well. If he goes in round 2, someone will get a huge steal there.

Could have used that passing on the last play against Tennessee!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
B_P wrote:

How were Payne's measurements? Without knowing it, he looks like he has Taj Gibson's size, but a LMA style game (with college 3 point range).

6'9" 7' wingspan 240+lbs.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject:

thetruthteller wrote:

Look who nbadraft.net has us taking in the 2nd round:
http://nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

We don't have a second round pick.
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:
We don't have a second round pick.

True, my mistake.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Are Wiggins' game and MKG's game comparable/similar?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
Are Wiggins' game and MKG's game comparable/similar?

Not even close. I could beat mkg In a game of horse with my off shooting hand.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18
Jump to: