scouting players and potential?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: scouting players and potential?

The word potential gets thrown around a lot and it confuses me a bit. How do we judge this in someone?

It seems like we reward the more athletic guy with less skill because we feel he can gain this same skill. So we take the athlete over the player and hope we can turn him into this skillful player.

Does he just have more potential because he is more athletic and has more room to grow seeing that he is not as skilled. So if he becomes skilled he then has both the athletic ability and the skill?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject:

size, athleticism, intangibles...

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: scouting players and potential?

Potato-Mania wrote:
The word potential gets thrown around a lot and it confuses me a bit. How do we judge this in someone?

It seems like we reward the more athletic guy with less skill because we feel he can gain this same skill. So we take the athlete over the player and hope we can turn him into this skillful player.

Does he just have more potential because he is more athletic and has more room to grow seeing that he is not as skilled. So if he becomes skilled he then has both the athletic ability and the skill?

Let me elaborate with a more effective answer.

He has more potential because it's easier for his learned skills to create results.

Who is the better shotblocker? Andrew Bynum? Or Robert Sacre? Bynum has the wingspan and two-foot explosiveness. Both are taught the same exact fundamentals about help defense in the paint. But, it's Bynum that gets the rebounds and swats over Sacre, because the physical tools he has helped create better results. It's the difference between a blocked shot and a contested shot or foul. It's the difference between a defensive rebound, or a tap out loose ball.

Andre Miller has all the PG skills in the world, and yet he's no longer considered an elite PG. Why? He doesn't have the quickness that he used to, and never had the vert. Who is beating him? Every single elitely athletic PG out there with half or 3/4 of his general skill level.

Even if the only skills are taught are 3pt shooting and defense, it makes for excellent role players. Ariza. Sefalosha. Dorell Wright. Brandon Rush. Travis Outlaw. Gerald Wallace had more skill, but was just as raw. What does Harrison Barnes do? Play D, hit 3s, finish. He's rarely creating his own offense.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: