Joel Embiid
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject:

lol Embiid is ahead of DW in terms of actual post game at the same age.

Anthony was ahead, because he was a PG with a growth spurt.

But, bigmen who develop, don't slip in the draft, are too late to get to.

I don't care about PnR play. He runs the floor. He can play up pace.

If anything, I think less of wing players, because they're all elite, and all too common. You want the one thing that'll give you an advantage over the rest of the league.

He doesn't have to be Hakeem to be a successful pick. He's already ahead of Tyson Chandler by age. He's more advanced than most NBA centers drafted early, and that includes Alex Len, Cody Zeller, and Nerlens Noel, and those were the top 3 bigs drafted in the the top 7 of last year's draft. Not exactly weak.

If the draft class wasn't so rich with talent, he would be the undisputed #1, but I've seen enough.

You can't teach motor/motivation/consistency
(Wiggins)
You can't teach athleticism.
(Parker, good, not great, in a league full of elite wings)

And I even prefer that he's still a project player of sorts. He has plenty of time to learn under proper tutelage. We just need Tyson Chandler impact. His upside is FAR more than that.

Even through free agency, Westbrook, Durant, Rondo, Kevin Love, etc. Perfect guys to put around Embiid.

But no team is giving up Anthony Davis. No team is giving up DeAndre Jordan as raw as he is. No team is giving up Andre Drummond. Pacers aren't giving up Hibbert. Miami is just recycling bigs in case of emergency.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Embid can be the next Olajuwan or the next injury riddled big man like Bynum and Oden. I would take the sure thing in Parker or a player like Smart

You could say that about anyone. It's a terrible argument.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Embid can be the next Olajuwan or the next injury riddled big man like Bynum and Oden. I would take the sure thing in Parker or a player like Smart

You could say that about anyone. It's a terrible argument.

I would say it's even less likely considering Embiid has a diversified sports background.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:

There's no doubt Embiid is going to be really good. With all due respect to Mike, I'm just not sure he's superstar material. You could have guys in this draft who would be the next Wade or Harden or better even.

To me if Embiid was as obviously good as Hakeem, Shaq or Ewing, or heck even Dwight Howard at the same age, he is #1 in this draft, easy. But he's not that good, yet. So I wonder, if it's the smartest thing to take a guy like that #1 when you have the next generation of superstars drafted below him. Guys like Embiid are unlikely to carry teams into the next decade. He will likely be that 2nd guy with the team needing to go out and find that #1 guy before they have any sort of success.

No my fear is not Bynum or Oden 2.0 (injuries) at all. It's more about drafting a top 5 C (He won't clearly be better than Dwight, Anthony Davis, Drummond, Hibbert any time soon, may be 3-5 years down the road) vs drafting potentially the next MVP caliber player in the league who could be that #1 guy within 1-2 years. I wouldn't want to miss out on that superstar perimeter player. If you guys are sure that's not the case with these guys that there is no superstar perimeter player in this draft, I'd go with Embiid at #1 as well.

Just look at all the top teams in the NBA right now

Miami - led by LBJ
Indiana - led by George
OKC - led by Durant
SAN - led by Parker

Hou, LAC , GST - all just outside of top 4 contending teams and are led by all-star perimeter players in Harden, Paul, Curry.

Lakers? Led by Kobe - another superstar perimeter player when healthy.

I'm the dude who usually argues with so many about the value of a low post big. But in the draft, I'd always pick the guy with superstar talent who could lead my team before I'd worry about my #2 or #3 or foundation defensive player.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
To me if Embiid was as obviously good as Hakeem, Shaq or Ewing, or heck even Dwight Howard at the same age, he is #1 in this draft, easy. But he's not that good, yet. So I wonder, if it's the smartest thing to take a guy like that #1 when you have the next generation of superstars drafted below him. Guys like Embiid are unlikely to carry teams into the next decade. He will likely be that 2nd guy with the team needing to go out and find that #1 guy before they have any sort of success.

But it's not like Embiid isn't putting himself in that position. DX has him 4th right now, NBADraft.net has him 1st, Chad Ford has him 4th (and trending upward), etc. Personally, I've got him third right now but he's definitely moving up the draft board and there are several people who think he's a legit chance to go first, especially with how pedestrian Wiggins has looked at times.
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
There's no doubt Embiid is going to be really good. With all due respect to Mike, I'm just not sure he's superstar material. You could have guys in this draft who would be the next Wade or Harden or better even.

No my fear is not Bynum or Oden 2.0 (injuries) at all. It's more about drafting a top 5 C (He won't clearly be better than Dwight, Anthony Davis, Drummond, Hibbert any time soon, may be 3-5 years down the road) vs drafting potentially the next MVP caliber player in the league who could be that #1 guy within 1-2 years. I wouldn't want to miss out on that superstar perimeter player. If you guys are sure that's not the case with these guys that there is no superstar perimeter player in this draft, I'd go with Embiid at #1 as well.

Just look at all the top teams in the NBA right now

Miami - led by LBJ
Indiana - led by George
OKC - led by Durant
SAN - led by Parker

Hou, LAC , GST - all just outside of top 4 contending teams and are led by all-star perimeter players in Harden, Paul, Curry.

Lakers? Led by Kobe - another superstar perimeter player when healthy.

I'm the dude who usually argues with so many about the value of a low post big. But in the draft, I'd always pick the guy with superstar talent who could lead my team before I'd worry about my #2 or #3 or foundation defensive player.

Your premise that Embiid should be #1 now is a bit unfair. Embiid has only been playing basketball for 2 or 3 years, and came into this college season with some but not much hype.

On the other hand, Wiggins was supposed to be the #1 pick for the past three years or so. Parker was supposed to be the #1 pick for 3 years or so as well until Wiggins reclassified. Additionally, Randle has been hyped for along time as well.

In a draft claimed to be as deep as this where players have been hyped for years, it is unfair to think that Embiid would supplant them so quickly. Notwithstanding, he's doing a damn good job of it. I doubt anyone's stock has soared as high as his, and he is #1 on nbadraft.net and #4 on draftexpress.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject:

Starting basketball late shouldn't be a credit to Embiid. It should be a liability. He's behind players his age in experience. I recall many of the same reasons there was so much Bynum hype a few years back. He started competitive basketball late. He has great touch. He is a man among boys. All true.

But it also comes down to who else is in that draft. If there's a certain superstar in there, why pass up? Why pass on Durant, to get Oden? Don't think POR is kicking itself now? Even if Oden had stayed healthy, we saw in that 1st year Durant was the better player. I'd argue a healthy Oden was still going to be a lesser player than Durant.

This is where I'm heading at with my point. I don't think Embiid is going to be a bad pick - anywhere. He's going to be a great pick, IMO. However, you don't want to be that team that drafts the very good big guy, when there's a GREAT perimeter player or two after him. That's my main argument. Anyone who has Embiid #1 better be damn sure that none of these other perimeter players turn out to be as good as Wade in prime, Harden, George etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

^It's a credit if there is evidence that a player is a fast learner, the opposite if he's a slower learner. Bynum showed that he could pick up things and grow rather quickly, and so being a new player was to his credit. Same circumstances surrounded Tim Duncan (swimmer) and Hakeem (soccer).

There is evidence that Embiid is on that learning curve, which is being only a recent basketball convert is used to his credit... for now.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject:

There's a difference to Embiid to Bynum.

Embiid is still playing on instinct. Even though Kansas lost today, he handled the length of SDSU relatively well and didn't cough up the ball as easily. He still finished plays that Tharpe struggled to execute cleanly. He still hit 2 FTs in the clutch.

I think people are of the opinion that Embiid, Bynum, and Oden were on the same plane in terms of learning basketball.

Not true. Oden played the longest and had the physical tools, so he was the most dominant all through the end of his HS years.

Bynum played more HS ball than Embiid, but was the roughest project of all three players. He didn't develop touch or explosion until his 3rd or 4th year in the league. He struggled with basic defensive concepts. I still contend that he burned out his body and desire by workout so hard in the off-season in the middle of Kobe's prime to contend for championships. No wonder he lacks some desire. No wonder his knees hurt.

Embiid has spent the least time on the bball floor, showing the defensive skills that Oden did as a freshman at Ohio St., yet demonstrating better footwork and more advanced post moves than both.

Even Phil Jackson questioned Bynum's motor. No one can question Embiid's.

This is why he's my #1 pick. Today's game against SDSU was proof of it. He made all of the small plays. He rotated perfectly on defense and Perry/Wiggins/Selden were all late on rotation and boxing out. Wiggins had multiple opportunities to burn his defender and only hit a few shots, mostly in transition. He played great defense, but didn't help out on the backboards when Embiid helped out.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Wolf, as to finding the next Wade or Harden, where?

Parker is the most advanced offensive player, doesn't have that ball-handling ability.

Wiggins doesn't have the handles that everyone thinks he has. He's a straight-line driver as of right now.

Exum is the only one who combines any kind of quickness/speed/ball-handling/size into one package and is in the lottery.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Mike - I've read Wade/Harden type of upside for the following players

Smart (I think very realistic for him to be an all-star)
Exum

As for the Wiggins - yes he's got weaknesses but the level of athleticism he has, you simply can not teach. You could teach him a better jumpshot smarter driving angles, better ways to manage the game. He's going to need a PG next to him, but can you imagine him with a PG that can set him up?

That said, my main argument is just that be sure that there isn't a Wade/Harden/Chris Paul type of guard in this draft, and then draft Embiid #1. Don't draft Embiid #1 just because he's a big guy and there's so few good one's in the NBA. Draft Embiid #1 if that's the guy who truly will be the the best player of this draft class, 3-4 years from now.

If you are confident in saying Embiid will be that best player of the draft 3-4 years from now, cool. If not? Then he doesn't deserve to go #1, IMO.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Exum

As for the Wiggins - yes he's got weaknesses but the level of athleticism he has, you simply can not teach. You could teach him a better jumpshot smarter driving angles, better ways to manage the game. He's going to need a PG next to him, but can you imagine him with a PG that can set him up?

That said, my main argument is just that be sure that there isn't a Wade/Harden/Chris Paul type of guard in this draft, and then draft Embiid #1. Don't draft Embiid #1 just because he's a big guy and there's so few good one's in the NBA. Draft Embiid #1 if that's the guy who truly will be the the best player of this draft class, 3-4 years from now.

If you are confident in saying Embiid will be that best player of the draft 3-4 years from now, cool. If not? Then he doesn't deserve to go #1, IMO.

Marshall?
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject:

After watching Kansas' game on sunday I would take Embiid over Wiggins.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Starting basketball late shouldn't be a credit to Embiid. It should be a liability. He's behind players his age in experience. I recall many of the same reasons there was so much Bynum hype a few years back. He started competitive basketball late. He has great touch. He is a man among boys. All true.

But it also comes down to who else is in that draft. If there's a certain superstar in there, why pass up? Why pass on Durant, to get Oden? Don't think POR is kicking itself now? Even if Oden had stayed healthy, we saw in that 1st year Durant was the better player. I'd argue a healthy Oden was still going to be a lesser player than Durant.

This is where I'm heading at with my point. I don't think Embiid is going to be a bad pick - anywhere. He's going to be a great pick, IMO. However, you don't want to be that team that drafts the very good big guy, when there's a GREAT perimeter player or two after him. That's my main argument. Anyone who has Embiid #1 better be damn sure that none of these other perimeter players turn out to be as good as Wade in prime, Harden, George etc.

I don't see how it's necessarily a liability when it shows how quickly he learns, and how much more he could learn given the time that he has not yet been afforded with the game as much as other prospects. Even if you want to ignore it, fine, look at where he is at this stage compared to most prospects at that stage (regardless of how long they've been playing the game before that) and he's still far ahead of the curve for a big. And he keeps getting better as the season goes on. Look at Wiggins at the beginning of the season and now, there's practically no difference. Embiid is a better player now than he was at the beginning of the season, that's what it means to be earlier in your learning curve, it means he has more potential/likelihood to improve from where's at than perhaps other prospects do.

Last edited by Fan0Bynum17 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Exum

I know with me, that I'm not giving him extra points for being a big. In fact, I'm probably a little more biased to the idea of a perimeter creator because of how the league is set up to completely cater to them, and how they can more easily give your team a framework/identity from the get go, but that shows you just how enamored I am with Embiid, and how worried I am with Wiggins and Parker.

Parker, I'm less worried with, but are we talking about someone that maxes out as a no.1 on a championship team with his less than stellar athleticism? I don't know. Will he be someone you have to hide defensively? Will he change the trajectory he's going with his body and tone up?

Wiggins I love to dream about, I love to hope he'll develop his off the dribble game and take off as a creator, but I think it's too way too much of a gamble with the no.1 pick. At this point, I definitely can't take him over Embiid, and I probably wouldn't take him over Parker.

Exum? I like his potential, he fits the mold of a potential franchise lead guard better than anyone else in the draft, but it's a case of limited information with him, it's difficult to gauge the odds of him achieving that potential.

Smart? Considering the Lakers still aren't officially in tank mode, and have a lot of competition with other crappy teams this year, I'd consider them very lucky to get Smart in the end, but I'm just not that high on him as I am on the other perceived tier 1 prospects (although I'd say he's probably more of a tier 1b prospect.) I don't consider him very advanced with the ball, he doesn't seem particularly creative to me, and he's not a great athlete or anything. His shot can get better, but he's a nut with his shot selection. I think with the way the league is set up, and with his size and length, he can be very successful, but it may end up being without a lot of substance, and ultimately not get you that much closer to a championship. I don't see a special scorer or playmaker, I hope I'm wrong though, because we need this draft to be as deep in special players as possible.

I think Embiid has the best potential to be a 2-way impact player in this draft at this point, and I think he has a very good chance at fulfilling his potential due to his improvement rate and his natural instincts for the game. He has superstar big instincts, things that most PF or C prospects at his stage do not have, things that don't just come with time. His weaknesses are the very standard of the things center prospects can easily get over with in time, the things you expect every center prospect to struggle with at that stage. The only legitimate knock on him IMO is that he's not an elite athlete, so that means the bar is higher for his skill development, but I would be very surprised if it didn't take off given enough time and quality coaching.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I know with me, that I'm not giving him extra points for being a big. In fact, I'm probably a little more biased to the idea of a perimeter creator because of how the league is set up to completely cater to them, and how they can more easily give your team a framework/identity from the get go, but that shows you just how enamored I am with Embiid, and how worried I am with Wiggins and Parker.

Couldn't have said it better.

I don't see the Harden/Wade type wing players in this draft except for Exum. Smart doesn't have outright blow-by ability. Wiggins doesn't have the handles for it. Parker is a 4/3 player.

The lottery is loaded with PF/C.

Wiggins has shown to be an elite defender, but I question his ability to lead a team. He tried against SDSU, but wasn't as impactful on both ends like Embiid. I would argue that Sheperd from SDSU looked more like McGrady than Wiggins did. His frame, wingspan, ball-handling, aggression to the paint ... very similar to McGrady first coming out.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

I can see Parker being at least in Harden's tier (and is Harden really proven as a no.1 guy yet? I think we may be getting a little ahead of ourselves.) I don't know if he can be a no.1 guy at the PF spot being 6'8 with an 8'8 standing reach. He may have some size to him, but I don't know if he has PF strength. I'd prefer he go in the direction of dropping some weight, tone up, and try to get quicker.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I can see Parker being at least in Harden's tier (and is Harden really proven as a no.1 guy yet? I think we may be getting a little ahead of ourselves.) I don't know if he can be a no.1 guy at the PF spot being 6'8 with an 8'8 standing reach. He may have some size to him, but I don't know if he has PF strength. I'd prefer he go in the direction of dropping some weight, tone up, and try to get quicker.

Funny, I'd rather have him bulk up and just have him strong enough to defend on the block a little. I think strength is easier to add, and he'll be a nightmare to defend if he fits at the 4 permanently. Easier to hide on defense as well.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Funny, I'd rather have him bulk up and just have him strong enough to defend on the block a little. I think strength is easier to add, and he'll be a nightmare to defend if he fits at the 4 permanently. Easier to hide on defense as well.

It would be easier, I just don't know if he can hack it in terms of the contact and length down low defensively. It pretty much requires you to get a Chandler type center at that point, and who knows if that will be enough since Parker could only be rebounding at a decent rate now because of college competition. He doesn't even have the reach that Beasley and Derrick Williams have, not that reach is everything.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

It would be easier, I just don't know if he can hack it in terms of the contact and length down low defensively. It pretty much requires you to get a Chandler type center at that point, and who knows if that will be enough since Parker could only be rebounding at a decent rate now because of college competition. He doesn't even have the reach that Beasley and Derrick Williams have, not that reach is everything.

He doesn't have the reach, but I think he boxes out and gets into position better. I think he does a surprising job getting a few rebounds in traffic.

And yes, I also agree that having him at 4 requires a swat/rebounding center, but I also think the same if he were at the 3 spot anyway.

As for Derrick Williams, I would have thought he had developed a David West-type of game from the 4 slot already.

TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Wiggins doesn't have the handles that everyone thinks he has. He's a straight-line driver as of right now.

Would you say Wiggins is very Paul George like?
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Wiggins doesn't have "it."
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Wiggins doesn't have "it."

I'm souring on Wiggins as well. He appears indifferent, does not like media attention, and lacks the motor and competitive fire to be a truly elite franchise player. He's also pretty limited offensively, lacks touch, and at this stage is basically a straight line right hand driver with a spin move. His freakish athletic ability is off the charts and his offense will improve but the lack of motor and competitiveness is very troubling.

Embiid to me is the best freshman on KU. San Diego State was doubling him on the catch just to keep him from destroying them.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Would you say Wiggins is very Paul George like?

No, because George has the intangibles and has been maximizing his potential to no other.

USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject:

I like Wiggins for the Lakers over any other player because sky's the limit with him, and it seems like with the right mentor he'll definitely reach his potential. We just so happen to have the right mentor, and a great organization on top of that. Paul George's massive improvement has a lot to do with Kobe's work ethic, and I remember reading about how Kobe helped improve Ariza's shot. His leadership and work ethic also helped Melo, LeBron and Wade coming off that 2008 Olympic team.

I think with any perimeter player we get, his improvement will be expedited by having Kobe as a teammate. They just need to have the desire and work ethic to improve, that's what we need to read before deciding who to draft. I like either Wiggins or Exum as a top pick over the front court guys. Let Kobe bring out that potential like he was the Old Kai.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: