OFFICIAL KOBE BRYANT CONTRACT DISCUSSION: P&M and Second Guessing Here --->
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 216, 217, 218  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobe4mvp24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: OFFICIAL KOBE BRYANT CONTRACT DISCUSSION: P&M and Second Guessing Here --->

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201286951708462&set=vb.144917055340&type=2&theater

They have players asking the fans to go to the games. The lakers use to be the hottest ticket in town. With no Kobe, who wants to go?
So when kobe wants 20+ next year, ull understand why they will give it to him.

Last edited by kobe4mvp24 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject:

jeanie buss
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject:

I know Kobe has been around for 17 years or so, but let me explain something to fans purely during the Kobe era...

The Lakers are bigger than any one player.

The Lakers goal in years they can't compete for a title is an entertaining product. I'm confident it'll be an entertaining team next year - even without Kobe.

Heck, two games so far this season were more entertaining than the games from the last two years combined.

I barely can remember the Lakers without Kobe anymore... but I remember I loved them as did LA.

That being said... If Bronze and Melo don't surprise everyone and do a package deal to LA... or Bronze do a package deal with anyone... I'd rather give Kobe a 1-2 year deal and roll with a dallas-esque roster.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject:

^ actually all 3 of our wins were great

Beat Clips!
Beat Rox!
The Atlanta game was a nail biter
Mustaine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject:

I became a Lakers fan because of Kobe, in 2001. And, like me, there so many around the world. Man, I can't and I don't wanna even imagine how is NBA without my biggest idol.

I'm 100% hetero, but I love Kobe.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject:

Damn the Lakers never do this, why is this happening? I blame social media.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:

because doc buss is no longer running the show. jeanie buss is in charge of these things now.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject:

The NBA is a business and selling tickets is part of it. I just hope the Lakers don't overpay Kobe on his next contract just to sell tickets.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
I know Kobe has been around for 17 years or so, but let me explain something to fans purely during the Kobe era...

The Lakers are bigger than any one player.

Winning is more important than anything.

It's pointless to try to lobby on behalf of any viewpoint putting the team/city/whole first anymore.

Anyone who puts the good of the whole above the good of the individual is profoundly insane.

When Kobe retires in the next year or two, the generation who grew up weaned on him will get to contend with the group weaned on the next hero.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject:

divncom wrote:

When Kobe retires in the next year or two, the generation who grew up weaned on him will get to contend with the group weaned on the next hero.

That's a good way of putting it. There are a large number of people on this board -- understandably -- who think Kobe is the Lakers. For them it's Kobe first and all the time.

If you've been around longer -- seen Wilt, West, Magic, Kareem -- you know Kobe, as great as he is, is just part of the parade. And eventually, like everyone else, he'll be a retired jersey. The people who came of age watching him will always have a special place in their hearts for him, just as the Magic people did for him.

But that's life -- every generation seems to love to say how their thing was so much better than the thing that came before and after them. And they're kind of right. For them. Because it's their moment.
Tek9Designs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Yes, the Lakers are bigger than any single player. However, its the culmination of these players that creates the Lakers legacy. Kobe knows the Lakers are bigger than him, and the Lakers know Kobe's legacy is their own.

That being said, with the new collective bargaining agreement, there is no way that the Lakers can give Kobe what he wants (and deserves) in a max contract and still field a competitive team. I don't expect Kobe to sign a max contract, nor ask for one.

But nobody knows what Kobe will return as. His work ethic is unparalleled so everybody expects him to return to near the same form... Which I think he can. But I also think he is incredibly susceptible to further injury. For the first time in over a decade Kobe will be missing significant time to injury... Can he bounce back and remain injury free?

I'm more concerned with that aspect of his return than any contract related matters.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: You know why the Lakers will pay Kobe anything that he asks for??

kobe4mvp24 wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201286951708462&set=vb.144917055340&type=2&theater

They have players asking the fans to go to the games. The lakers use to be the hottest ticket in town. With no Kobe, who wants to go?

I think it's odd that people put up these posts before Kobe even returns to his surgery and we see how he plays. We're all hoping for the best, but it seems the really hardcore Kobe zealots want to pretend he's 25 rather than 35 and coming off seriously surgery.

Personally, I think if Kobe is making $20 million plus next year, the Lakers wll suck as a team.
MambaMentality
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Doctor Buss himself said that Kobe makes the franchise more than $100M. That justifies whatever Kobe might ask from the Lakers.

Last edited by MambaMentality on Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Marginal Labor Product
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject:

I don't even feel like watching the games without Kobe.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Ridiculous to pay Kobe "whatever he wants"...

Laker need a winnig team, not a Kobe centered team that can't compete. We pay to win and Kobe is "part" of that but not all if it.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: You know why the Lakers will pay Kobe anything that he asks for??

activeverb wrote:
kobe4mvp24 wrote:

I think it's odd that people put up these posts before Kobe even returns to his surgery and we see how he plays. We're all hoping for the best, but it seems the really hardcore Kobe zealots want to pretend he's 25 rather than 35 and coming off seriously surgery.

Personally, I think if Kobe is making $20 million plus next year, the Lakers wll suck as a team.

Well, judging from Pau's current form, paying Pau $6,750,000 alone will suck the team. Paying $20m to Kobe is not yet proved sucking.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Mustaine wrote:
I became a Lakers fan because of Kobe, in 2001. And, like me, there so many around the world. Man, I can't and I don't wanna even imagine how is NBA without my biggest idol.

I'm 100% hetero, but I love Kobe.
well imagine how we felt when magic woke up with aids one morning. at least you got to see kb do it until he was done. even if the injury sits him down for god. magic did not go out like he was supposed to because of the aids.
laker fans could've lived with us getting old and slow and not winning again. but magic just leaving us like that. it was a bit much for us to handle. then to be so afraid he may literally leave this earth made it worse.

but we moved on. it took awhile. but we figured it out. we always do. and thats what the "i only know kobe" fans should realized. the buss family have always figured it out. it might take 10 years. but they will figure it out. and think, 10 years after 5 rings. aint bad at all. its actually better then any other team out there. 5 rings then a 10 year drought, 5 more then a 10 year drought. if you asked me if i would rather win 5 rings if i have to go on a 10 year drought afterwards. i take that all day and everyday.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Ridiculous to pay Kobe "whatever he wants"...

Laker need a winnig team, not a Kobe centered team that can't compete. We pay to win and Kobe is "part" of that but not all if it.

Impossible to pay Kobe "whatever he wants". So from this thread, are we to assume that the Lakers are also doing something wrong by placing commercials on TV advertising their games? I guess I missed where that became a no no. And since they are consistently averaging 19,000 in attendance, why would they need to ask fans to buy tickets?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: You know why the Lakers will pay Kobe anything that he asks for??

moonriver24 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kobe4mvp24 wrote:

Well, judging from Pau's current form, paying Pau $6,750,000 alone will suck the team. Paying $20m to Kobe is not yet proved sucking.

We're not talking about Pau. How much Kobe should get paid will depend on (1) how he looks when he returns and (2) our other options. If Kobe looks OK, and we can't get any top free agents, I'd be OK with giving him a one-year big money deal. I wouldn't pay him just for the sake of what he's done in the past if better options are available.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject:

MambaMentality wrote:
Doctor Buss himself said that Kobe makes the franchise more than $100M. That justifies whatever Kobe might ask from the Lakers.

To be accurate, Buss never said this in public. There were a couple of newspaper reports that people overheard him say something like this at cocktail parties. The amount seem to change - I've read $70 million and $80 million. So it seems like a random number that was thrown out there, rather than based on any real analysis

But who knows what it means? Might have been aimless cocktail party chatter. Might have been referring to the big TV deal -- but that money's already in the bank, so you don't need to pay Kobe for it now.

Last edited by activeverb on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
divncom wrote:

That's a good way of putting it. There are a large number of people on this board -- understandably -- who think Kobe is the Lakers. For them it's Kobe first and all the time.

If you've been around longer -- seen Wilt, West, Magic, Kareem -- you know Kobe, as great as he is, is just part of the parade. And eventually, like everyone else, he'll be a retired jersey. The people who came of age watching him will always have a special place in their hearts for him, just as the Magic people did for him.

But that's life -- every generation seems to love to say how their thing was so much better than the thing that came before and after them. And they're kind of right. For them. Because it's their moment.

As you can see by my name here I love Kobe....but I love the Lakers more! Without Kobe I still root for my team the same....still never miss a game.

If Kobe retires or leaves we will still draw crowds as long as we get 1 or 2 other Superstars and win games!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:

Advertising through social media? I think that is a great idea by the FO.
GP1_KB24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject:

nobody wants to see this see play.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: You know why the Lakers will pay Kobe anything that he asks for??

kobe4mvp24 wrote:

This year, the Lakers are mediocre. Even with Kobe, you'll have players asking fans to attend.

LA fans are pretty fickle. Doesn't matter if it's the Dodgers, Lakers, Kings, etc. If that team isn't winning, people don't show.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 216, 217, 218  Next
Page 1 of 218
Jump to: