kobe's defense is overated(from a kobe fan)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
rpadma12 wrote:
whatever. I'm not the only one who saw Wade blowing by Kobe and Kobe not being able to keep Wade in front of him.

Again, do the research before you make silly comments. I'm ignoring you now.

You can be as condescending as you'd like to this guy, but the fact is, he's right. Wade blew by Kobe on a consistent basis just as Kobe blew by Wade (or anyone that guarded him).

I've also noticed Kobe's decreasing level of defense, but I think it's a bit unfair to expect him to be lockdown defender he was in the championship years. He expends sooooooooo much energy on the offensive end, his defense is bound to suffer. If the Lakers were to get another dependable scoring option, I believe you would see Kobe's defense back at an elite level.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Also...in a crucial possesion in the kings game...when devean went to help Luke...who was getting torched...kobe gambled for a steal...the pass went to the corner to his man...garcia...for an open 3. I agree when kobe is guarding a "no name" he goes into freelance mode defensively. The lakers for the most part have good rotation...but gambles quicken the react time...and get our bigs in foul trouble.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's defense definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

He's noticeably slower on defense than he was in past years although I must admit that besides the first year when he made the first team all defense, his defense has never been consistent.

What Kobe really needs is a lock-down defender at the 3 spot (note: not Odumb) who can guard the opposition's best perimeter player.
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
Wow, that first post seems like a textbook example of trolling. It's an obvious attempt to get under people's skin. Try to hide your intentions better next time, ajaxxxxxxx.

Love the avatar, though.

You call it trolling I call it keeping it real.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:

THIS IS RIDICOULOUS. Give ajaxx a break. He shared his opinion and thats it. Kobe does slack off on defense everyone knows that, but it is hard to play offense and defense at a constant high rate (too much energy), but kobe should play defense even if its a scrub. Another thing some guy here just said that artest and possibly bruce bowen are better defenders then kobe. Artest no doubt and bowen no doubt, not possibly. Some people on here making me crack up
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject:

There are certain defensive fundamentals, that should always be practiced... It doesn't matter how tired you are, or how much energy you have to save up. I see too much coasting, at times... Shaq would do it too.
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
THIS IS RIDICOULOUS. Give ajaxx a break. He shared his opinion and thats it. Kobe does slack off on defense everyone knows that, but it is hard to play offense and defense at a constant high rate (too much energy), but kobe should play defense even if its a scrub. Another thing some guy here just said that artest and possibly bruce bowen are better defenders then kobe. Artest no doubt and bowen no doubt, not possibly. Some people on here making me crack up

thanks akk7, Kobe's my favorite player and I wish I didn't have to post this
but I just call it like I see it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's defensive ability isn't overrated, but he is overrated in the sense that he doesn't bring that intensity on defense every night. You can totally see the difference in his defensive attitude when he's playing someone like LeBron, T-Mac, Michael Redd, etc. as opposed to just a regular SG. If he brought it every game like he does against those guys, this wouldn't be a discussion.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject:

His defense is very bad, but in his defense he is a one man team. Can't carry the entire team on offense and be a one man defensive lock down unit also unless you are "roided up"
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
His defense is very bad, but in his defense he is a one man team. Can't carry the entire team on offense and be a one man defensive lock down unit also unless you are "roided up"

I couldn't of said it better myself.(unless I was roided up )
FBP Si 2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
please, then why do a bunch of other players around the league say kobe is a great defender...personally I'll take what players who have actually played against him have said, than someone sitting on their computer screen, thats just me though
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:

He is a great defender im not questioning that, but his desire to play defense against a regular player is not that great.

just example

jrich- good player he scores somehwere in the 30
vince -better offensivly then j rich 10 points
lakerfin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:

KoolMo wrote:
"...for the past three seasons he has been a horrible defender....'

1. You're wrong and saying you're "a kobe fan" doesn't make you objective.

2. Bring some facts to the table before you give us crap.

3. He is better defensively than Wade, Lebron, McGrady, Carter, Jefferson...get the picture.

4. Defenders better than kobe: Artest and possibly Bruce Bowen.

I have to agree. Also by the way, when someone says I'm a "Kobe fan", kind of smacks of " Oh yeah, I have a lot of black friends". Sounds disingenuous. Maybe they are, but it don't sound good. Probably better to leave it out.
Kobe is a very good defender. Granted maybe has dropped a bit because of the offensive load he has to carry, but make no mistake, if you want a player that plays on both ends, it's hard to find someone better than Kobe. And as this team improves, and hopefully they will, you'll see him pick up even more on the defensive end. And finally, when Kobe blows by someone and dunks or passes, it doesn't always mean the man guarding him is horrible defensively. Often it means he just made a better offensive move. People can think whatever they want, but to say Kobe has been a horrible defender the last three seasons is just plain stupid. And a big part of defense is about keeping your guy from scoring and forcing him pass the ball.
lakers_less_340+
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject:

Arsenal wrote:
His 3 point D is terrible. He let JRich open 3's all night. He only plays elite defense once in a blue moon. The other times is average to very bad.

So who do you think is responsible for the Lakers leading the NBA in lowest opp 3 pt fg%?
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject:

lakers_less_340+ wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
His 3 point D is terrible. He let JRich open 3's all night. He only plays elite defense once in a blue moon. The other times is average to very bad.

So who do you think is responsible for the Lakers leading the NBA in lowest opp 3 pt fg%?

Second ... damn those Pistons. Anyways, Kobe as a single player is not doing well defensively this season due to all his energy being put on the offensive end... tell me one player who puts up 25+ppg while defends the other teams leading scorer...?

Kobe can be as good as he wants to be, he is just either exhausted or really lazy, I guess it can be a bit of both. He lacks the motivation to fight through screens at times and just let's his man blow by, and tries to get him back on the other end. Kobe also gambles of course, as do most of the Lakers... That's why getting a guy like Artest... hell even Banks will help immensely.
Kobe-Wan Kenobi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject:

lol @ people even acting like there's something to argue about... sad
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject:

Its funny how many people don't know what the word overrated means.
Kobe being overrated as a defender simply means he's a good defender
just not as good as advertise.
VEN_150
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

kobe can shut down anyone, he just doesn't put the effort sometimes, i think ray allen and vince carter would disagree with this thread
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:

rpadma12 wrote:
You don't understand defense if you think it's all about stopping a guy from scoring. Wade repeatedly blew by Kobe to find his teammates and set up his teammates well.. 11-24 is not bad either. I'm sure you would be praising Kobe if he did that.

You are the one who is caught up with stats and acting as if you didn't watch the game.. If you did watch the game, you would have seen how easily Wade went past Kobe.

Did you watch last night spurs-heat game? Did you see how easily wade went past bruce bowen for a layup? and wade shot 14 for 29. Does this make bowen a bad defender too?
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Just wondering who was guarding josh smith
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject:

ajaxxx, you might be right but try not to rub it against the fellow fans here.

I mean, Kobe has some flaws (shot selection, poor efforts on defense and rebounding occasionally) but still he's the lone bright spot for this team so naturally people, myself included, do not want to hear about how terrible he is, how much he has regressed, how his athleticism has gone down, etc.

After all, when it's all said and done, I still think Kobe's the best perimeter player on both ends so we cannot ask for much more than that.
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject:

sorry kobe is God
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:

ajaxxx wrote:
sorry kobe is God

Yeah!!!

(damn his shot selection)
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:

ajaxxx wrote:
Just wondering who was guarding josh smith

Did you watch the game? Kobe was on Joe Johnson. So I really wonder why this was bumped.
lakerfansd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Ajaxxx, I agree with you. Criticizing Kobe shouldn't = being called a troll. When Kobe is motivated (ie playing against Wade, McGrady, etc), he plays great defense. Otherwise, he roams around allowing players wide open shots. I remember Stu said Kobe doesn't give you respect in terms of guarding you until you start making shots. I personally don't agree with that philosophy and I've seen Kobe allow guys wide open shots even after they've made a few. You can't spew facts to back it up because it comes from simply watching the game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: