"CUPGATE" - Should Jason Kidd be Fined or Suspended? (Update: Kidd fined $50K; Pg. 7)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

"CUPGATE" - Should Jason Kidd be Fined or Suspended?
Fined
50%
 50%  [ 33 ]
Suspended
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Fined AND supsended
16%
 16%  [ 11 ]
No punishment
27%
 27%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 65

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Why should he be suspended? I mean, no different than hack a dwight which we employed.

I actually think it's pretty clever.

The only thing I can think though, is that spilling your drink like that is dangerous. Other than that, no problems with it at all.

As long as everyone else can do it, it's fair game.
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Intentional fouling is within the rules of the game. Engineering the spilling of a cup is just plain unsportsmanlike and cheating. Where do you draw the line? What if someone on the Nets bench feigned a heart attack, or pretended to faint?

If Kidd had chosen to stall by simply marching onto the court and picking a quarrel with an official, he would at least have been tossed from the game.
sandeezy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Why should he be suspended? I mean, no different than hack a dwight which we employed.

The only thing I can think though, is that spilling your drink like that is dangerous. Other than that, no problems with it at all.

It is clearly different than hack a Dwight. This is to get a free time out to draw the play that will tie the game. Hack a Dwight is only until the last 2 minutes, which afterwards it is a free throw from anyone and the ball back.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject:

osj wrote:
Intentional fouling is within the rules of the game. Engineering the spilling of a cup is just plain unsportsmanlike and cheating. Where do you draw the line? What if someone on the Nets bench feigned a heart attack, or pretended to faint?

If Kidd had chosen to stall by simply marching onto the court and picking a quarrel with an official, he would at least have been tossed from the game.

That would be awesome, and I'd put up with a loss if that happened.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject:

sandeezy wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

It is clearly different than hack a Dwight. This is to get a free time out to draw the play that will tie the game. Hack a Dwight is only until the last 2 minutes, which afterwards it is a free throw from anyone and the ball back.

Let's just be real for a moment. It's only a problem because it was done against us. Had MDA or Kobe done it, and it resulted in a beautifully drawn up game winning shot, no one would be crying foul. In fact, if Kobe had done that for us, people here would be talking about what a MENSA genius he was don't cha think? And then, if he did get suspended, it would be the NBA-hates-Kobe thing all over again.

I'll be honest. I didn't like it, but I don't like a lot of things they allow players and coaches to do. I'm not sure it is suspension worthy at all though but that's just me.
Half Baked Hero
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
osj wrote:

That would be awesome, and I'd put up with a loss if that happened.

Especially if the trainers used a defibrillator on that dude.
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
You have to admire a guy who'll go full Leslie Nielsen on you.

Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject:

Just a great move by Kidd.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
This made laugh a lot, so I'm ok with just a fine
ay, dont even give him a fine. i'm still laughing and i missed the game. wow that was hilarious. "hit me"
sandeezy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
sandeezy wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Let's just be real for a moment. It's only a problem because it was done against us. Had MDA or Kobe done it, and it resulted in a beautifully drawn up game winning shot, no one would be crying foul. In fact, if Kobe had done that for us, people here would be talking about what a MENSA genius he was don't cha think? And then, if he did get suspended, it would be the NBA-hates-Kobe thing all over again.

I'll be honest. I didn't like it, but I don't like a lot of things they allow players and coaches to do. I'm not sure it is suspension worthy at all though but that's just me.

Just to be clear, I never said he should be suspended. That could have been the difference between a win or a loss is why it is a topic and I think it is very reasonable for people to want him suspended. I know Kobe has fouled people in the final seconds winning us games, there are many dirty players who get away with fouls, etc that affect the outcome of games. I do think this is different though because it is a coach doing it. I would still think it is a dirty move if the Lakers did it, however I can honestly say that I would NEVER expect MDA or Kobe to do this. I agree, it was very smart on his behalf to do if he does only get a fine, he risked paying a fine to win the game. Whichever what you put it, a dirty move is a dirty move and this was not subtle at all. Kidd as a player I respect, Kidd as a coach.. not so much.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject:

what would the NBA fine Mr. Kidd for? spilling his drink?

LOL
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
Blake totally owned them in this drama

I love Blake. He does not back down to NOBODY.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject:

its funny since we won.. lg would still be having a meltdown in a loss.

definite fine.. and not even a small one.

next game they'll fake an injury, roll on the ground as long as you can... except 2 of their players do it at the same time.

This is why there's such a thing as "delay of game" which is also tech ft's.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I bet you guys wouldn't be laughing if we lost this game.

A million times this.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject:

osj wrote:

You could argue unsportsmanlike, but it's not cheating, but then plenty of people feel hack a * is unsportsmanlike (it's actually called an "unsportsmanlike" foul in international rules, lol).
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject:

Regardless of whether or not he gets fined or suspended... I want the other teams coach from now on to "spill" their drink against the Nets. Not in the manner of trying to get a timeout... but especially if they're going to win the game.

I can picture the winning team dribbling out the clock... have the coach "shout orders" for no reason while holding a drink. Then just spill it and make the Nets wait on the court as losers before they can go back to the locker room.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: "CUPGATE" - Should Jason Kidd be Fined or Suspended?

Notice in the OP's embedded YouTube; the Lakers players Blake and Henry both getting a good look at the play being drawn up on the sidelines near the end of the video

.... Blake was right in there next to the coach checking out the assistant coaches diagram of the play....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject:

Dirty play by Coach Kidd... he should be fined and suspended for one game. Fined for the set up and spill; suspended for lying about it.

But Steve Blake is OWNED Brooklyn's coaching staff .
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject:

how about invention of the iced timeout?

"LA Lakers for 3 seasons versus the Nets, regardless of pre/reg season or playoff (finals) games, are allowed the iced timout; additional 2min timeout usable only within the last minute of play in the 4th qtr."

As far as blake and X, since it was just a stoppage of play, I believe our team is allowed togo anywhere on the court. In fact, if the nets coach was on the actual court he was breaking another rule and should have been interrupted by refs.
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject:

Somewhere, Chris Webber is thinking, "Damn man! Why didn't we think of that???"
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:

Lol.
NoNoNav
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject:

Look at Lawrence Frank's face in the background when it goes down, he is like I cannot believe I am THIS guys assistant.
erisian
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:

Lol.

http://fierth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/leslie_nielsen.jpg

if I had better shoopin skills I'd put Kidd's face side by side with Leslie on that one.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject:

Nets had a legitimate chance of still tying the game...and their coach resorted to a cheating and dishonest act to gain an advantage the Nets should not have had.

The outcome is irrelevant... he needs to be punished for his dishonest act.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Nets had a legitimate chance of still tying the game...and their coach resorted to a cheating and dishonest act to gain an advantage the Nets should not have had.

The outcome is irrelevant... he needs to be punished for his dishonest act.

Hard to imagine the NBA punishing a coach with the only evidence of wrong-doing being guesses of what he might have said from amateur lip-readers
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: