Jeff Pearlman's new book will be about Showtime Lakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Jeff Pearlman's new book will be about Showtime Lakers

Jeff Pearlman -- author of the Walter Payton bio, '86 Mets, 90s Cowboys books -- has a new book coming out in March:

Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s.

496 pages.

Few thoughts:

* On one hand can't wait to read it. Have really enjoyed Pearlman's other books. Recommend them for anyone.

* Little leery of how much sex and off-court stuff there might be. Not that I'm really against that but at this stage I'd rather read insights about the on-court stuff instead of a rehashing of, say, Magic's conquests in an elevator. Six chicks at once!

* Wondering if there really is a need for this book? I mean there are ALOT of books about those teams, whether you're talking books by Magic or Kareem. Or books by Mark Heisler. Or the superb Winnin' Times. Or Roland Lazenby's books, including the awesome oral history that certainly covered that era. Just not sure what more can be added (unless, again, there's some off-court stuff we don't know about).

Saw that he did over 300 interviews for it.

But yeah, I'll be buying it the day it comes out.

Last edited by spflakers on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject:

There are a ton of books about the Showtime Lakers. Not sure if this will have any new information or interviews. Hopefully it does.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject:

I read the book he wrote on the Cowboys definately had some interesting off the field stuff about these guys so yeah he'd go there.

It was a fast read
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:
There are a ton of books about the Showtime Lakers. Not sure if this will have any new information or interviews. Hopefully it does.

Surprised to see the thread title, I thought it might have been about an older book, but sure enough it's a new book about Showtime.

Last time there was a thread about Showtime, bought Lazenby's book, "The Show: The Inside Story of the Spectacular Los Angeles Lakers in the Words of Those Who Lived It." (To be fair, it covered the Showtime era and also had interviews w/ Shaq Kobe)
JeffPearlman
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:

Hey, my name is Jeff Pearlman. I'm the author of the new Showtime book, which comes out 3.4. This is me: www.jeffpearlman.com

I just wanted to say I'd be happy/honored/whatever to answer any questions anyone has about the book, the process, etc. I spent more than two years researching and writing. It's my sixth book, and an absolute labor of love.

I can also be reached via e-mail at anngold22 [AT] gmail.com.

Anyhow, great forum. Happy to be here.

Jeff
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:

Interesting so how long is this one the Cowboys book was fast reading and it was around 500 pages.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:

will you write about all the coke and sex parties, jeff?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Interesting so how long is this one the Cowboys book was fast reading and it was around 500 pages.

The OP stated 496 pages.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:

I was referring to the Cowboys book that was about 500 pages.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I was referring to the Cowboys book that was about 500 pages.

And the OP still stated that this one was going to be 496.
JeffPearlman
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject:

The book is 496 pages. I spent about 2 1/2 years on the project. It spans from 1979 to 1991; delves deep into the myriad characters, coaches, players, etc. Does it go into the partying? Sure. But it's much more than that.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:

JeffPearlman wrote:
Hey, my name is Jeff Pearlman. I'm the author of the new Showtime book, which comes out 3.4. This is me: www.jeffpearlman.com

I just wanted to say I'd be happy/honored/whatever to answer any questions anyone has about the book, the process, etc. I spent more than two years researching and writing. It's my sixth book, and an absolute labor of love.

I can also be reached via e-mail at anngold22 AT gmail.com.

Anyhow, great forum. Happy to be here.

Jeff

Welcome Jeff!
JeffPearlman
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, all. And really, I'll happily answer any/all questions. Feel free to hit me up at anngold22 AT gmail.com ...
theunknownsoldier
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

All my Laker games from the 1980s I still have on vhs buried in boxes. Those were the days when showtime was showtime.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Sounds interesting, Jeff.

How did you come up with the idea? How long have you been a writer? I'm an aspiring writer, myself.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Good luck with the book sales, Jeff, and thanks for covering the Showtime Lakers.

My interview with the author would include these questions:

1) What surprised you most as you got into writing the book?

2) After all the interviews, who did you come away personally admiring the most?

3) Any good Chick Hearn stories come out in the course of your research?
JeffPearlman
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject:

To answer ...

1. I've been a writer for about 20 years. Graduated from the U of Delaware in 1994; started as a food and fashion writer at The Tennessean in Nashville. Moved to sports—then Sports Illustrated. First book in 2004—about the 1986 Mets.

2. Why Showtime? I'm a child of the 80s. Though I grew up in NY, the NBA was Lakers-Celts. And I sided with the Lakers. Had a Magic Converse poster hanging in my room. So, here I am years later, and there hadn't been a great Laker book (of the era) in a looooong time; probably since Winnin' Times in 1986.

3. Biggest surprise: Probably the horrible, nightmarish plight of Jack McKinney, the first Showtime coach. I wonder how many Laker fans even know the tragic details. So heartbreaking.

4. Biggest admiration: Honestly, Jeanie Buss. Wonderful person. Just wonderful.

5. Yes, RE: Chick. Many. He was actually an interestingly thin-skinned and vulnerable man; guarded his turf like a lion. Was loved-disliked by media peers. There's more, obviously. Great man, but difficult, too.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:

JeffPearlman wrote:
To answer ...

1. I've been a writer for about 20 years. Graduated from the U of Delaware in 1994; started as a food and fashion writer at The Tennessean in Nashville. Moved to sports—then Sports Illustrated. First book in 2004—about the 1986 Mets.

2. Why Showtime? I'm a child of the 80s. Though I grew up in NY, the NBA was Lakers-Celts. And I sided with the Lakers. Had a Magic Converse poster hanging in my room. So, here I am years later, and there hadn't been a great Laker book (of the era) in a looooong time; probably since Winnin' Times in 1986.

3. Biggest surprise: Probably the horrible, nightmarish plight of Jack McKinney, the first Showtime coach. I wonder how many Laker fans even know the tragic details. So heartbreaking.

4. Biggest admiration: Honestly, Jeanie Buss. Wonderful person. Just wonderful.

5. Yes, RE: Chick. Many. He was actually an interestingly thin-skinned and vulnerable man; guarded his turf like a lion. Was loved-disliked by media peers. There's more, obviously. Great man, but difficult, too.

Thanks. It's going to be a great read. Good luck again.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Just read a few chapters -- the history is familiar, but Pearlman's narrative is fantastic, and there are definitely layers of great detail behind all the stories we've come to love about the Showtime Lakers.
JeffPearlman
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: from: Jeff Pearlman

In the name of self-preservation, just wanna say the book comes out 3.4. LA Times gave it a great review earlier this week ...

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-jc-jeff-pearlman-20140223,0,6681258.story
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Interesting. I actually never heard this story (just googled it). I'll check this book out.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

We know everything about showtime thus maybe a few things here and there. Its been said a 100 times. Even Phil's 11 rings book, 3/4 of it was the same crap from The Last Season.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Jeff,

Appreciate the opportunity you've given us to ask questions about your new book. I'm interested in learning about the relationship between Magic and Jim during the show time era. Their relationship today is quite adverse. Has there always been this "sibling" rivalry between them? I would love to hear the back story between these two guys.

Thanks!
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Just pre-ordered off Amazon. Look forward to reading it.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject:

I'm interested can't wait till it arrives at my library hopefully soon.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: