Official [DRAFT DAY] Watch - Lakers select... JULIUS RANDLE - (p.1160) | JORDAN CLARKSON - (p.1192)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 566, 567, 568 ... 1206, 1207, 1208  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pickleweed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

So has the unnecessary panic, but that doesn't stop. I honestly believe there is a good number of posters who think we are drafting 6th.

its a reality man. better to come to reality then be disappointed in the end.

there is a reason its called lottery[/quote]

lol, yes there is a reason. and its not because we know where we're drafting...
prefuse1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject:

Jim needs to retake math100
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

pickleweed wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

So has the unnecessary panic, but that doesn't stop. I honestly believe there is a good number of posters who think we are drafting 6th.

there is a reason its called lottery

lol, yes there is a reason. and its not because we know where we're drafting...[/quote]

keep up your hopes high only to crash and burn.

I am going to keep the pick where it is: 6th.

if we get higher I would be very happy but at least I am not setting up myself to be disappointed in a month
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Purp&Gold wrote:
all we needed was the 4th spot to get a potential franchise player. man this sucks.

Why? They haven't even selected the draft order yet.

dude this is getting old now.

Ok?

No it's not.

keep telling that to yourself. maybe I should have been more correct.

a low priority? u happy with that?

but go ahead and keep telling that to urself

Yes.

We have a chance of jumping into the top 3, but we also have a chance of falling up to the 3 spots to #9. There's a chance we get #6. That's reality.

This x1000. Just chill folks and let the chips fall. We don't have a clue about the talent gap (if it exists) from 1-3, 4-6, etc.,

Say we get the 1-3 pick. This board would still be divided on who to take and would be crying foul if preferred player doesn't get selected.

Would anyone be absolutely shocked if say Wiggins goes on to be an all-star, but not the superstar that he was hyped to be? What if an athletic freak like Aaron Gordon turns out to be the top player from this draft? Wouldn't surprise me at all.

We tend to get attached to draft position or a prospect that we're so sure is a can't miss (e.g., Exum is hot on this board) that we rule out the possibility that someone out there just might turn out to be better.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:

My hope is that the FO proves us wrong by evaluating and picking the right talent, not going by hype.

Seattle picked a superstar QB in Russell Wilson
Portland picked a future superstar in Damien Lillard

These were not touted as top picks.

We really really need a future franchise player this draft, even if it takes 4-5 years to develop. This pick should not be about winning now or about Kobe.
NastyNas_87
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
My hope is that the FO proves us wrong by evaluating and picking the right talent, not going by hype.

We really really need a future franchise player this draft, even if it takes 4-5 years to develop. This pick should not be about winning now or about Kobe.

this doesn't usually happen in the nba. usually the top players are those that come with the most hype. very rare you find those diamond in the rough prospects
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject:

NastyNas_87 wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

this doesn't usually happen in the nba. usually the top players are those that come with the most hype. very rare you find those diamond in the rough prospects

Well, in the rare times we were in the Lottery (past 30 years or so), we've picked Magic, Worthy, Eddie Jones, Bynum to name a few. Pretty good record. Bynum was a diamond in the rough. Kobe was traded for, but I view that as a pseudo draft pick too. He was a diamond in the rough. Give the FO a chance with a top 10 pick.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m
Yahoo Sources: Duke's Rodney Hood will enter the NBA Draft, close to signing with an agent. http://yhoo.it/1jO7xvs

if anybody cares

I would if we had a second pick around 8-15.

ya me too. maybe we can buy a later pick? from Phoenix?

I know Sarver is cheap but not sure many teams will give up 1st rounders this year.

I could see them doing it for a proven vet. Offer up Gasol in a S&T, they didn't want him at $19 mil, maybe they would at $9 mil?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
pickleweed wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

if we get higher I would be very happy but at least I am not setting up myself to be disappointed in a month

I will continue to shoot for #1, but won't be disappointed if we get #6. That is much better than I had thought at the beginning of this season.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject:

Quick question for draft geeks. For the sake of conversation say the Lakers stay at number 6 when the draft comes. Could they theoretically trade Gasol and the 6th pick to a team that is ahead of them in exchange for said team picking a player (say Exum) and sending him to the Lakers?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:

Maybe OT, but Wilson wasn't considered a top pick because he isn't that great of a QB. I am not sure he cracks the top 10.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
NastyNas_87 wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

Well, in the rare times we were in the Lottery (past 30 years or so), we've picked Magic, Worthy, Eddie Jones, Bynum to name a few. Pretty good record. Bynum was a diamond in the rough. Kobe was traded for, but I view that as a pseudo draft pick too. He was a diamond in the rough. Give the FO a chance with a top 10 pick.

The one and only pick we have had in the lottery position that didn't work out was Lynch. The Clippers have flamed out on more lottery picks the past 10 years than the Lakers have in 30.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
Quick question for draft geeks. For the sake of conversation say the Lakers stay at number 6 when the draft comes. Could they theoretically trade Gasol and the 6th pick to a team that is ahead of them in exchange for said team picking a player (say Exum) and sending him to the Lakers?

They could after July 1, assuming the picks haven't signed. They might be able to if they have signed, but I am too lazy to look that up. Gasol can be traded after July 1 since he is a FA. Of course, the question is to who? It would have to be a S&T, so it would have to be somewhere Pau wanted to play.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:

NastyNas_87 wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

This ^^^. The NBA and NFL drafts are so much different when comes to NBA basically the top 5 prospects or so are the best players in the draft you don't find many diamonds in later picks and 2nd round. But the NFL is a total crapshoot you never know who's going to bust or turn out to be average to solid to good to great, etc. It's apples to oranges comparison between NFL and NBA draft.
pickleweed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

wow, you sound like a blast at parties. all of those things are entirely YOU problems. YOURE expectations, YOURE disappointments.

none of which has any bearing on reality, which seem to think it is.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
pickleweed wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

If the Lakers have good luck then they will move up the draft order...
If the projections hold they will stay in 6th.
If they pissed off the basketball gods, then they will draft below the 6th pick, in that case, our prospects in the near future are bleak.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

NastyNas_87 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
about randle: “While he’s a terrific rebounder, his defensive issues are frightening. Worst defensive big-man in the draft.”

worse than parker?

in terms of guarding 4s. yes. parker is worse in terms of lateral movement when it comes to guarding guys on the perimeter. but he does have more length than randle while being the same height. he also gets more blocks and steals which is a indicator of his superior length.

when he was protecting the rim in the tourney, sans cauley-stein, i thought he did a decent job, but that's pretty much irrelevant on the next level. just the fact that's he's a stubby 3-4 tweener would be enough to scare me off at 5 or 6. other than zach randolph it's hard to think of any who have been successful in the last 10 to 15 years.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:

Oh really?

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=147315
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
NastyNas_87 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
about randle: “While he’s a terrific rebounder, his defensive issues are frightening. Worst defensive big-man in the draft.”

worse than parker?

in terms of guarding 4s. yes. parker is worse in terms of lateral movement when it comes to guarding guys on the perimeter. but he does have more length than randle while being the same height. he also gets more blocks and steals which is a indicator of his superior length.

when he was protecting the rim in the tourney, sans cauley-stein, i thought he did a decent job, but that's pretty much irrelevant on the next level. just the fact that's he's a stubby 3-4 tweener would be enough to scare me off at 5 or 6. other than zach randolph it's hard to think of any who have been successful in the last 10 to 15 years.

Position defense is being overlooked and underrated. Neither guy is a rim protector, but Randle can at least prevent guys from getting to the rim in the first place. I'd rather have Randle on defense.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

pickleweed wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

wow, you sound like a blast at parties. all of those things are entirely YOU problems. YOURE expectations, YOURE disappointments.

none of which has any bearing on reality, which seem to think it is.

Huh?

Here are the chances:

1st pick: 6.3%
2nd pick 7.1%
3rd pick 8.1
6th pick 43.9%
7th pick 30.5%
8th pick 4.0%
9th pick 0.1

and somehow i am delusional ok

Last edited by Jim99187 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject:

chrisca91 wrote:
Exum is like westbrook

Do you watch basketball?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
chrisca91 wrote:
Exum is like westbrook

Do you watch basketball?

he reminds me of westbrook too. have you watched Exum? he always pushes the tempo and also attacks the rim and he's quick. their games do resemble eachother a bit.
ill prove they resemble eachother enough that your insult was unwarranted, certainly.
-- the plays at 1:40 , youre telling me theres no resemblance in how he puts his head down and is all first-step -- just the way they move in these regards look similar.
3:45 - he's a one man fastbreak and finishes it keeping the ball high , Westbrook does the same move to keep the ball high on the break.
the very next play - he blows by the defender in 2 dribbles in long strides -- Westbrook has the same long strides
the play at 4:23+ , that bounce pass doesnt look exactly like a westbrook bounce pass in transition???

theyre fast long point guards who get to the rim w/speed and push the pace - they should resemble each other.

lol
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NastyNas_87 wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

The one and only pick we have had in the lottery position that didn't work out was Lynch. The Clippers have flamed out on more lottery picks the past 10 years than the Lakers have in 30.

Lynch wasn't a lottery pick. The Lakers barely squeaked into the playoffs that year with a sub .500 record. Lynch was never more than a serviceable role player, but I don't think he was a bad pick especially when you look at the rest of the draft. The only notable player drafted after him in the first round was Sam Cassell, which wasn't a big miss on the Lakers' part since they also ended up getting Van Exel in the 2nd round. The only other notable player in the 2nd round was Bryon Russell. In hindsight, the Lakers did about as well as they could do in that draft.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject:

I think Smart's stock has unfairly dropped. IMO, he's a two-way guard who will be a better pro than he was a college player, which says something. My guess is my top 3 (Wiggens, Embiid and Exum) will all be gone by #6, so, if true, and the Celtics don't take Smart, I hope we grab him. He may be gone by #5 though anyway.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dmills wrote:

They could after July 1, assuming the picks haven't signed. They might be able to if they have signed, but I am too lazy to look that up. Gasol can be traded after July 1 since he is a FA. Of course, the question is to who? It would have to be a S&T, so it would have to be somewhere Pau wanted to play.

So it couldn't be done in the manner that Kobe was sent to LA by Charlotte?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 566, 567, 568 ... 1206, 1207, 1208  Next
Page 567 of 1208
Jump to: