Official [DRAFT DAY] Watch - Lakers select... JULIUS RANDLE - (p.1160) | JORDAN CLARKSON - (p.1192)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 567, 568, 569 ... 1206, 1207, 1208  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think Smart's stock has unfairly dropped. IMO, he's a two-way guard who will be a better pro than he was a college player, which says something. My guess is my top 3 (Wiggens, Embiid and Exum) will all be gone by #6, so, if true, and the Celtics don't take Smart, I hope we grab him. He may be gone by #5 though anyway.

Smart has that Westbrook fight in him, I like that. Don't know what he'll turn out to be on offense, but his defense and hustle alone will change the tide of some games. You need that type of player in the playoffs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dmills wrote:
Quick question for draft geeks. For the sake of conversation say the Lakers stay at number 6 when the draft comes. Could they theoretically trade Gasol and the 6th pick to a team that is ahead of them in exchange for said team picking a player (say Exum) and sending him to the Lakers?

They could after July 1, assuming the picks haven't signed. They might be able to if they have signed, but I am too lazy to look that up. Gasol can be traded after July 1 since he is a FA. Of course, the question is to who? It would have to be a S&T, so it would have to be somewhere Pau wanted to play.

So it couldn't be done in the manner that Kobe was sent to LA by Charlotte?

FAs can't be traded after the deadline. If Pau weren't a FA, he could be traded after the Laker's season was over. But we could agree with the other team and Pau now, have that team draft for us, and complete the trade after July 1.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:

Lynch wasn't a lottery pick. The Lakers barely squeaked into the playoffs that year with a sub .500 record. Lynch was never more than a serviceable role player, but I don't think he was a bad pick especially when you look at the rest of the draft. The only notable player drafted after him in the first round was Sam Cassell, which wasn't a big miss on the Lakers' part since they also ended up getting Van Exel in the 2nd round. The only other notable player in the 2nd round was Bryon Russell. In hindsight, the Lakers did about as well as they could do in that draft.

Thanks, I though he was lottery for some reason. And I agree, not a bad pick, just not in the same class as the others.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dmills wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dmills wrote:
Quick question for draft geeks. For the sake of conversation say the Lakers stay at number 6 when the draft comes. Could they theoretically trade Gasol and the 6th pick to a team that is ahead of them in exchange for said team picking a player (say Exum) and sending him to the Lakers?

They could after July 1, assuming the picks haven't signed. They might be able to if they have signed, but I am too lazy to look that up. Gasol can be traded after July 1 since he is a FA. Of course, the question is to who? It would have to be a S&T, so it would have to be somewhere Pau wanted to play.

FAs can't be traded after the deadline. If Pau weren't a FA, he could be traded after the Laker's season was over. But we could agree with the other team and Pau now, have that team draft for us, and complete the trade after July 1.

Could they (Lakers) sign Pau to a deal prior to July?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dmills wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dmills wrote:

Could they (Lakers) sign Pau to a deal prior to July?

No.
SickwithIt1010
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I think Smart's stock has unfairly dropped. IMO, he's a two-way guard who will be a better pro than he was a college player, which says something. My guess is my top 3 (Wiggens, Embiid and Exum) will all be gone by #6, so, if true, and the Celtics don't take Smart, I hope we grab him. He may be gone by #5 though anyway.

Smart has that Westbrook fight in him, I like that. Don't know what he'll turn out to be on offense, but his defense and hustle alone will change the tide of some games. You need that type of player in the playoffs.

I am more than happy with Smart being a Laker.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

SickwithIt1010 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Smart may have the heart of a lion, but the guy is not even close to Westbrook in terms of athletic ability
SickwithIt1010
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
SickwithIt1010 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Smart may have the heart of a lion, but the guy is not even close to Westbrook in terms of athletic ability

I never said that. I believe he is similar, though. I would say he's a poor mans Wade.

Thats my comparison.
roboshrimp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

SickwithIt1010 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
SickwithIt1010 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I never said that. I believe he is similar, though. I would say he's a poor mans Wade.

Thats my comparison.

I heard someone say that Smart is like a taller version of Kyle Lowry. I agree with this comparison. Both are really tough guys that play with a lot of heart.
SickwithIt1010
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject:

roboshrimp wrote:
SickwithIt1010 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
SickwithIt1010 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Thats my comparison.

I heard someone say that Smart is like a taller version of Kyle Lowry. I agree with this comparison. Both are really tough guys that play with a lot of heart.

I could see that. Lowry, Westbrook, and Smart all play with a chip on their shoulder that is for sure. Smart, Westbrook and Wade all have the same style of play. Combo guards that have good bounce and inconsistent jumpers.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:

If Smart turned out be another Lowry and we drafted him, I would be very satisfied with that. I think Smart will be better than Lowry, however. Just a hunch.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject:

I have no problems with Smart. I would rather sign Lowry and draft a different position, but if Smart is the best option we should go with him.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I have no problems with Smart. I would rather sign Lowry and draft a different position, but if Smart is the best option we should go with him.

same. sign lowry, draft a different position
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I don't know if we would want to pay Lowry the money he is seeking. I think its more likely we bring back Farmar to play PG.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I don't know if we would want to pay Lowry the money he is seeking. I think its more likely we bring back Farmar to play PG.

I honestly see Farmar as a Lowry-lite player right now. When he was healthy he looked REALLY GOOD this year. I'd start him next year, give Kendall the backup PG minutes, and give Bazemore/Henry the 3rd string PG minutes if necessary.

Spend the capspace and draft pick on sf/pf/c players. We don't have any certain future at those positions outside of backup C with Sacre.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

farmar is a chucker, and doesnt create enough for this limited version of Kobe. Lowry is worth 10mil, thats fine. he's a legit 3rd option / at times a 2nd option. add Klove to that or Parker and you have all the scoring you need just like that. put defensive players around that and youve got a real winning team
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I honestly see Farmar as a Lowry-lite player right now. When he was healthy he looked REALLY GOOD this year. I'd start him next year, give Kendall the backup PG minutes, and give Bazemore/Henry the 3rd string PG minutes if necessary.

Spend the capspace and draft pick on sf/pf/c players. We don't have any certain future at those positions outside of backup C with Sacre.

And hence the problem with relying on Farmar. Now if Nash can play 65 games at 18-20 mpg, then I would feel different.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm also high on Lowry. Late bloomer like Billups. Can shoot, penetrate, defend, above average athlete. How many more prime years you think he has left? 3? 4? I'd throw 4 yrs 30 mil at him. But I'd also be more than okay with Smart and then throwing money at Stephenson. If we got Lowry then I'd like for us to get Parker.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm also high on Lowry. Late bloomer like Billups. Can shoot, penetrate, defend, above average athlete. How many more prime years you think he has left? 3? 4? I'd throw 4 yrs 30 mil at him. But I'd also be more than okay with Smart and then throwing money at Stephenson. If we got Lowry then I'd like for us to get Parker.

Lowry needs ball in his hands to be effective & will be playing with Kobe for the next 2 years.

Kobe needs ball in his hands and will get it.

taking this into consideration who do you prefer?

Lowry
Stephenson
Avery Bradley
Bledsoe - have to overpay him which I don't want to do
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject:

kobe's going to be passing the ball/playing team ball more than ever in his last two years. players will have to create off of what he creates for them ; and at other times they'll have to create for him or for themselves because Kob' gon need alot of help
AIRZOOMKOBE2k5
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Sorry but Aaron gordon over anyone in the #6-9 range. He's the second best athlete next to wiggins.

I really think he will put up Kawhi Leonard numbers and efficiency. A guy who would be extremely needed and critical for a team full of alphas(kobe, maybe Melo/kd in 16 or love in 15)

Last edited by AIRZOOMKOBE2k5 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Lowry needs ball in his hands to be effective & will be playing with Kobe for the next 2 years.

Kobe needs ball in his hands and will get it.

taking this into consideration who do you prefer?

Lowry
Stephenson
Avery Bradley
Bledsoe - have to overpay him which I don't want to do

Well that would depend on the draft. If we draft a PG then why would we want Lowry or Bledsoe? Are we also going on the assumption Kobe won't come back broken?
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject:

stephenson
kobe
ariza
hill
pau
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject:

AIRZOOMKOBE2k5 wrote:
Sorry but Aaron gordon over anyone in the #6-9 range. He's the second best athlete next to wiggins.

I really think he will put up Kawhi Leonard numbers and efficiency. A guy who would be extremely needed and critical for a team full of alphas(kobe, maybe Melo/kd in 16 or love in 15)

ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather go Smart than Gordon at 6. However, I wouldn't be mad if we selected Gordon.

I don't want Vonleh

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 567, 568, 569 ... 1206, 1207, 1208  Next
Page 568 of 1208
Jump to: