Official [DRAFT DAY] Watch - Lakers select... JULIUS RANDLE - (p.1160) | JORDAN CLARKSON - (p.1192)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 593, 594, 595 ... 1206, 1207, 1208  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

NastyNas_87 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
Any similarities to brand for randle. We all say zbo but could he be a Elton type career

why do people keep comparing him to guys with wingspans well above 7'2"? the only succesful PFs with Randle alligator arms are David Lee, Blake Griffin, and Kevin Love. they are the only PFs without wingspans well above 7 feet that have been successful.

I don't see his game as similar to any of them, which is why I think he'll be a bust.

Maybe because wingspan is not the end all/be all?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Starting to like the idea of getting Noah Vonleh at #6

Watching video of him the kid plays "smart". Hands up all the time on defense, very controlled game, runs the floor well.

Top it off w/freakish length and size.

I agree, walking away this offseason with Vonleh, Stephenson or Lowry, and Collison if we don't get Lowry, would be a good offseason.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

I totally understand the wingspan argument against Randle. And here's a good article about that.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/1/2/5258332/julius-randle-nba-draft-prospect-2013

I think it will be an obstacle for him, but not one that will render him useless in the NBA. For comparison's sake:

Al Horford: 8'11 (standing reach); 7'0 (wingspan)
Blake Griffin: 8'9, 6'11
RANDLE: 8'9.5, 6'11
Kevin Love: 8'10, 6'11
Udonis Haslem: 8'11, 6'11.

Kobe has small hands. Did that prevent him from being an all-time great?
Blake/Love have unfavorable measurements for PF; both are all NBA players.

Horford was a multi-All Star and Haslem has carved out a nice career despite being "undersized."

It's about how the player deals with their "deficiency." Randle has shown that he won't shirk away from obstacles.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
Lol, how come Randle is so underrated? He should be a top 3 pick easily. The guy is a sure thing. There is not a single aspect of his game that's worse than Zach Randolph's. We're talking a perrenial all star here, guys.

Because this draft is loaded in terms of talent despite everyone trying to say it is overrated. Randle is not top 3 because Wiggins, Parker, and Embiid are just better prospects. All 3 have shown just as much as Randle did but have higher upside. However, that is not a slight on Randle.

I just find it ridiculous that people are willing to write off Randle for an inch or two shortness of his wingspan yet completely give Parker a pass. Parker has a 7'0 wingspan and a 8'8 standing reach. Randle has 6'11 wingspan and 8'9.5 standing reach. Parker's a consensus top 4 on all of the draft boards yet Randle drops down to as low as 8 or 9? One article someone posted said Randle's a late lottery prospect? Or how Gordon has the same exact wingspan and half an inch advantage and the Randle detractors have Gordon in the top 6, Randle in the top 9 only?
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject:

Any of top 4 prospects Wiggins, Embidd, Exum and Parker would be ecstatic if any of those four became Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Lol, how come Randle is so underrated? He should be a top 3 pick easily. The guy is a sure thing. There is not a single aspect of his game that's worse than Zach Randolph's. We're talking a perrenial all star here, guys.

Because this draft is loaded in terms of talent despite everyone trying to say it is overrated. Randle is not top 3 because Wiggins, Parker, and Embiid are just better prospects. All 3 have shown just as much as Randle did but have higher upside. However, that is not a slight on Randle.

I just find it ridiculous that people are willing to write off Randle for an inch or two shortness of his wingspan yet completely give Parker a pass. Parker has a 7'0 wingspan and a 8'8 standing reach. Randle has 6'11 wingspan and 8'9.5 standing reach. Parker's a consensus top 4 on all of the draft boards yet Randle drops down to as low as 8 or 9? One article someone posted said Randle's a late lottery prospect? Or how Gordon has the same exact wingspan and half an inch advantage and the Randle detractors have Gordon in the top 6, Randle in the top 9 only?

Excellent points.

Re: Parker, I guess most people already concede that he will be a defensive nightmare but believe he has a mismatch on the offensive end.
SickwithIt1010
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:

Except the whole part where he isn't.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Watching video of him the kid plays "smart". Hands up all the time on defense, very controlled game, runs the floor well.

I agree, walking away this offseason with Vonleh, Stephenson or Lowry, and Collison if we don't get Lowry, would be a good offseason.

The only players that have higher upside than Vonleh in the draft are Wiggins, Embiid, and Exum.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

The only players that have higher upside than Vonleh in the draft are Wiggins, Embiid, and Exum.

I know it isn't a technical measurement like wingspan, but watching a lot of Indiana games, Vonleh has the ability to always be around the ball on both sides of the floor. That isn't something that can be taught or coached or even measured, it is basic instinct. That is the reason I am more impressed with him than some others.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

I know it isn't a technical measurement like wingspan, but watching a lot of Indiana games, Vonleh has the ability to always be around the ball on both sides of the floor. That isn't something that can be taught or coached or even measured, it is basic instinct. That is the reason I am more impressed with him than some others.

YES, that's what I meant by a very controlled game. He has a knack to be in the right position at the right time. He has good instincts in a two man game. Imagine a healthy Kobe running a two man game w/this kid. SICK!
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

He would be a great fit if we had a better roster around us. To me he's PJ Brown/Horace Grant, and every championship team needs one of those kinds of players. But we are lacking in star power too, and Vonleh isn't one of those players.

But if we are at 7-8 pick, he would be the best pick at that range no doubt.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

I know exactly what you mean, and completely agree. It's a skill in and of itself. (can't speak to Vonleh in this respect though, as I didn't watch a full game of him this year)
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

Looks like Exum is as good as gone:

Quote:
Jameer Nelson's time as the Magic's starting point guard may be coming to an end soon, as ESPN's Chad Ford believes the Magic will take a point guard in the upcoming draft.
"They want a point guard," said Ford. "They experimented with Victor Oladipo there, but preferably they get a young player that is more of a true point. [Dante] Exum and Marcus Smart are the guys for them." With Nelson's contract only guaranteed for $2 million, he may be an expendable commodity this summer. The Magic have a 15.6 percent chance of winning the lottery, making it likely they will have the opportunity to draft either Smart or Exum this June.

Source: Orlando Magic Daily Apr 24 - 3:02 PM
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

If we kept Pau at a reasonable rate (no more than $8-9M), and got a guy like Vonleh playing next to him, with legit length and strength, and either Melo (or maybe Deng) at the 3, I think we'd be in much better shape than this year.

We simply do not have any legit, quality FORWARDS on this team. Wes is a rotation player, at best, and Kelly doesn't board well enough for his size.

Put a Swiss-Army knife type guy at the 4 to fill in the gaps in Pau's game, and a quality starter at the 3, and we're back in the playoffs.

MIM
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

Star power is so fickle. It is very possible that none of these guys develop into a star. But several very well could. There are so many variables that go into making a player a star beyond that player's talents. Obviously work ethic and desire, but also what franchise the player goes to. Kyrie Irving might be a top player in the league with a different franchise, but in Cleveland he (reportedly) can do what he wants and know there are no ramifications. Does one think that Kwame would have developed into the same players if he had been drafted by the Lakers? Instead of being chided and ignored like he was in Washington, imagine if he worked with Kareem from the beginning.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

I'm just saying some people have Vonleh pegged to be a 20/10, star scoring power forward (even some saying he's a center). I'd temper that with more conservative projections of a slightly better scoring PJ Brown/Ho Grant, two very good players.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

He would be a great fit if we had a better roster around us. To me he's PJ Brown/Horace Grant, and every championship team needs one of those kinds of players. But we are lacking in star power too, and Vonleh isn't one of those players.

I like the Horford comparison better than those two, but I can see some of Grant/Brown in him. I don't think he's ever going to be a first option scorer, but he has a lot of tools. Will be interesting to see where he measures out. I have a hard time buying that standing reach figure.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

I think the 10 is possible, but doubt the 20. 14 and 10 with good defense and I will be thrilled.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

I like the Horford comparison better than those two, but I can see some of Grant/Brown in him. I don't think he's ever going to be a first option scorer, but he has a lot of tools. Will be interesting to see where he measures out. I have a hard time buying that standing reach figure.

Yeah. Seemed strange that his standing reach was that low. But he needs to figure out whether to be bulky or light and agile. The bulk really hurt his game this season IMO. He looked lethargic a bit and slower than he was advertised.

Horford isn't a bad comparison, but Horford was regularly handling the ball at Florida. I haven't seen Vonleh do that so I can't comment.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
If we kept Pau at a reasonable rate (no more than $8-9M), and got a guy like Vonleh playing next to him, with legit length and strength, and either Melo (or maybe Deng) at the 3, I think we'd be in much better shape than this year.

We simply do not have any legit, quality FORWARDS on this team. Wes is a rotation player, at best, and Kelly doesn't board well enough for his size.

Put a Swiss-Army knife type guy at the 4 to fill in the gaps in Pau's game, and a quality starter at the 3, and we're back in the playoffs.

MIM

If LA wants to take a run at someone like Love later, but still compete now, you could go with Pau on a 1 year deal (or 2 if you want to scrimp elsewhere for a year, remembering that you can only carry about 15 mil in contracts forward into 2015 with Kobe and the DP in order to have room for Love), maybe add a guy like Brand, and mix them in with Vonleh, Kelly, and Sacre.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Wow! I had no idea Collison could be a free agent this summer. I agree though, if we add Vonleh, Stephenson and one of those two PGs we will be much better next year.

Can Vonleh play center?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Wow! I had no idea Collison could be a free agent this summer. I agree though, if we add Vonleh, Stephenson and one of those two PGs we will be much better next year.

Can Vonleh play center?

I don't think Vonleh should play center full time. More like a backup center role. He put on 20-25 pounds this year and it hampered his quickness/vertical game. If we had him, I'd rather see him condition his body to be a more agile PF.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Can Vonleh play center?

I don't think Vonleh should play center full time. More like a backup center role. He put on 20-25 pounds this year and it hampered his quickness/vertical game. If we had him, I'd rather see him condition his body to be a more agile PF.

Or maybe he was going through a growth spurt that hampered his explosiveness.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Can Vonleh play center?

He bulked up, probably b/c Indiana wanted him to play center. Compare his college/high school tapes and you see a stark difference in explosiveness. At his size, bulking up too much isn't beneficial IMO. He should be aiming to play more PF than NBA center.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Can Vonleh play center?

He bulked up, probably b/c Indiana wanted him to play center. Compare his college/high school tapes and you see a stark difference in explosiveness. At his size, bulking up too much isn't beneficial IMO. He should be aiming to play more PF than NBA center.

I know, but didn't he also grow 2 inches? That could be factor as well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 593, 594, 595 ... 1206, 1207, 1208  Next
Page 594 of 1208
Jump to: