Paul George the Next Michael Jordan / Kobe Bryant? (39pts / 11rbs Game 4) pg. 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: PG Back?

fan4life wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
PG still trying to wrestle that torch from Kobe...

27 points, 12 boards, and 7 assists on 4/2/14 against detroit....

crazy long distance 4 point shot...

There's a reason you couldn't bump this for an entire month....

This thread is unintentional comedy.

Meanwhile MVP Kevin Durant keeps trucking along at 32, 5, 7 on 50% 2pt, 41% 3pt, 87% FT.

That's pedestrian FT numbers for him. That guy was so close to doing the 40/50/90%'s while STILL averaging 32/5/7. Just absurd.
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
LeBron has the torch locked away in a safe in the basement of his mansion.

Durant is looking at the safe, trying to figure out how to open it.

Paul George just got in to LeBron's house.

I think we can now update to

Durant has started bashing the safe open with a hammer and blowtorch
Paul George got lost and ended up in the backyard
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

ChrisCrossed wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

Paul George is in the wrong city.

Thread is an insult to Kobe. How would this affect this legacy?
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Durant is the best offensive player in he NBA right now. Paul George is the best 2-way player right now.

Pacers / OKC in the finals would be a great showcase for Paul George and Kevin Durant to battle it out for Kobe's torch...
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Paul George is a one way player a lot of nights. His shooting percentage has been dropping precipitously ever since his hot start.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject:

One would think George would have to be in one of the top 3 spots to get the torch passed to him. I don't think he's in any of them and damn sure not the top two.

Hell, George haven't done enough to even be mentioned as a person who can carry this league. At least get to the finals.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
One would think George would have to be in one of the top 3 spots to get the torch passed to him. I don't think he's in any of them and damn sure not the top two.

Hell, George haven't done enough to even be mentioned as a person who can carry this league. At least get to the finals.

He's shown he can do it in many games this season. Skill level however is there. He's been shooting over 90% from the free throw line. He has been a monster on rebounds as well. If you look at his full highlights, you see the skill level.

The ability to shoot one on one is what separates paul george. The fade away, knocking it down with a guy right on you, mid-range, long-range...it's all there, the complete package...look at the shots he takes in Detroit, a lot of them are not easy...kobe-esque shots.

Consistency is where he will need to improve, and that comes with maturity and growing as a player.

We forget he's only 23. It's obvious with all the off-court issues, this guy isn't completely focused on basketball. Once he is, he'll probably be the best player in the NBA.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject:

The funny thing about this thread is the so called passing of the torch, which obviously James now has. So Kobe really can't pass something he no longer has.

We can see these torch passing ceremonies - kinda like a relay team.

Mikan to Russell/Wilt to Jabbar to Magic/Bird to Jordan to Bryant to George? KD and LeBron must have retired or something. He's 23 and he has the skill set. So did many others that came into the league and couldn't deliver; not saying he won't but as of the money time in this 2014 season, he's not worthy.

Hopefully the playoffs will be better for him. By time he gets a chance to gain that so called torch, James may be winding down and he'll have to fight KD for it.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject:

I like how the game went 2OT in Miami today. Hopefully Miami will get gassed trying to keep the 1st seed in this last stretch.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject:

The torch went from Kobe to Lebron some time ago. It will go from Lebron to Durant by either this Finals or next year. It's without question KD's time coming. If PG wants it, he'll have to take it from him.

Personally, I think PG is a Scottie pippen than a MJ. KD could be a top 10 player in history. That's Kobe level. That's Lebron level. I don't think Paul George will ever get there. But, he'll get close enough.

I see him more on a Paul Pierce - Dirk Nowitski level. Top 50-25 in NBA history is his ceiling

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

He's shown he can do it in many games this season. Skill level however is there. He's been shooting over 90% from the free throw line. He has been a monster on rebounds as well. If you look at his full highlights, you see the skill level.

The ability to shoot one on one is what separates paul george. The fade away, knocking it down with a guy right on you, mid-range, long-range...it's all there, the complete package...look at the shots he takes in Detroit, a lot of them are not easy...kobe-esque shots.

Consistency is where he will need to improve, and that comes with maturity and growing as a player.

We forget he's only 23. It's obvious with all the off-court issues, this guy isn't completely focused on basketball. Once he is, he'll probably be the best player in the NBA.

This is what you bank on? 90% from free throw doesn't help when you shoot 42% from the field.

We've yet to see an explanation on why PG is better than Durant skill wise, or Lebron production wise.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject:

ChrisCrossed wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

This is what you bank on? 90% from free throw doesn't help when you shoot 42% from the field.

We've yet to see an explanation on why PG is better than Durant skill wise, or Lebron production wise.

An explanation doesn't exist. Paul George is a great young player, but he will not, barring injury, be a better player than KD. Nor Lebron. What 'separates Paul George' doesn't separate him from KD, unless in the other direction. But he could have some great seasons coming up, maybe some that match up with good Durant or Lebron seasons, and maybe a ring too. I see his mental game needing to step up, bc he seems to get frustrated and impatient within a game if things are not going well. Maybe with maturity this comes, but maybe he's too emotional. Jurys out.

He started out great, MVP leader early on, but clearly he has declined. I never forget he's 23, nor that KD is 25. Let's see what PG does in the playoffs, on the road in Miami. And beyond that, if they get that far (huge if), in the Finals. He kind of exploded to a new level last year's playoffs, maybe we'll see some more. I hope so personally. I would like Indy to beat Miami, and if OKC is in the Finals to beat them. (I want KD to come here and never winning a ring in OKC might help him get out of there).
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

An explanation doesn't exist. Paul George is a great young player, but he will not, barring injury, be a better player than KD. Nor Lebron. What 'separates Paul George' doesn't separate him from KD, unless in the other direction. But he could have some great seasons coming up, maybe some that match up with good Durant or Lebron seasons, and maybe a ring too. I see his mental game needing to step up, bc he seems to get frustrated and impatient within a game if things are not going well. Maybe with maturity this comes, but maybe he's too emotional. Jurys out.

He started out great, MVP leader early on, but clearly he has declined. I never forget he's 23, nor that KD is 25. Let's see what PG does in the playoffs, on the road in Miami. And beyond that, if they get that far (huge if), in the Finals. He kind of exploded to a new level last year's playoffs, maybe we'll see some more. I hope so personally. I would like Indy to beat Miami, and if OKC is in the Finals to beat them. (I want KD to come here and never winning a ring in OKC might help him get out of there).

This is the best statement regarding this.

We're all making fun of the thread, cause quite honestly it is something to make fun of. However PG is a superstar in the making, 6th or 7th best in the league at age 23 is no joke. Is he a transcendent talent like KD, Kobe or Lebron - of course not. However those only come once or twice a generation.

He's only a tier below the Chris Paul and Melo and is in the same tier as Kevin Love, Anthony Davis and James Harden. He might step up and get into the Melo, Paul tier which is good considering both are probably future HOFers.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject:

ChrisCrossed wrote:
focus wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

This is the best statement regarding this.

We're all making fun of the thread, cause quite honestly it is something to make fun of. However PG is a superstar in the making, 6th or 7th best in the league at age 23 is no joke. Is he a transcendent talent like KD, Kobe or Lebron - of course not. However those only come once or twice a generation.

He's only a tier below the Chris Paul and Melo and is in the same tier as Kevin Love, Anthony Davis and James Harden. He might step up and get into the Melo, Paul tier which is good considering both are probably future HOFers.

In a way, the playoffs will end up separating who's who. Maybe Indy did get bored/tired/whatever and are just kicking around waiting for the intensity of the playoffs, and then PG goes off, along with his team and beats Miami at least. Maybe Blake Griffin and CP3 go out in the first round to Golden State with splash brothers on fire. How does his #3 regular season MVP position matter then? Or what if Clips get to the Finals (TV off), getting through a brutal Western Conf?

Anyway, playoffs will tell the tale. A year ago at this time, did anyone forsee how we would be discussing Paul George today? He was just another role player, then he met his moment vs Miami. Suddenly
we are talking about him in the MVP hunt. Playoffs without the Lakers (contending) suck, but this year's should still be really exciting for the quality of play. Someone is going to step up OVER other great players and will emerge as a star among stars. And will get all the confidence in the future that it brings.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject:

PG is like Kobe in a lot of ways. He steps up in the big moments. He'll have his chance in the post season.
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject:

That's odd, isn't your shtick to avoid this thread like the plague when he loses and performs poorly then bump it only when he does good?
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

ChrisCrossed wrote:
That's odd, isn't your shtick to avoid this thread like the plague when he loses and performs poorly then bump it only when he does good?

That would make about as much sense as starting a Lebron thread and bumping it every time he travels.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

Durant passed Jordan with his 41st straight game of scoring 25+ points, Oscar is next on the list. Wilt will never be caught.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject:

^^^^

Probably not. But the streak is pretty amazing when you consider the difference in game pace.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

It is, like you mentioned, the only ones ahead of him played when the game was at a jail break pace. I am assuming he catches Oscar at 46 games.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

ChrisCrossed wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

aint that the truth. lol.

like i said in this thread. at THAT TIME he may have been. but as of today..>NOPE
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

aint that the truth. lol.

like i said in this thread. at THAT TIME he may have been. but as of today..>NOPE

Maybe next year.

Actually, would be quite impressive if he dominates in the playoffs and gets to the Finals, given this terrible downturn. If he can get finals mvp (big if), who cares about regular season. Dirk didnt that year he got swept.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

not impressed with Paul George this year.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
The torch went from Kobe to Lebron some time ago. It will go from Lebron to Durant by either this Finals or next year. It's without question KD's time coming. If PG wants it, he'll have to take it from him.

Personally, I think PG is a Scottie pippen than a MJ. KD could be a top 10 player in history. That's Kobe level. That's Lebron level. I don't think Paul George will ever get there. But, he'll get close enough.

I see him more on a Paul Pierce - Dirk Nowitski level. Top 50-25 in NBA history is his ceiling

The only thing now is whether Durant can translate those great individual numbers and performances into a championship.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject:

I gotta say, that three against the Pistons by PG24 was ridiculous. If he missed it would have been a terrible shot (still was honestly), but that was so damn nice.

Edit: Never mind just realized that the clock did not reset at first, so it wasn't a terrible shot
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9
Jump to: