True Detective
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm loving Rust's cerebral approach. He breaks things down to the real with such impunity it's surprisingly refreshing.

I'm waiting for the explosion between Hart and Cohle. I thought it was going to go down tonight.

When will a suspect of some sort surface? 5 episodes left.

I suspect we'll get to the "doer" in the next couple of weeks.

Did you guys miss the last shot?

I must have. Did it allude to a suspect?

So you didn't see the bizarre, half naked man wearing the mask and carrying the big machette?

Yeah, OK. For some reason that didn't connect. I was looking for a mystery. If he is the killer it will take a lot from the series, for me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Favorite lines tonight:

Hart: You are incapable of admittingdoubt, which results in denial.

Cohle: I doubt that.

Yeah, I also liked:

"Do you ever wonder if you're a bad man?" -Hart

"No, I don't wonder, Marty. World needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door." -Cohle

There's a great dynamic going on in that relationship - all the relationships in fact.

I like the contradiction of sorts that has Cohle as the apparently "crazy" guy and Marty as the relatively by the book, straightforward guy. In reality it's clear that Marty is the out of control loose cannon and Cohle's actually focused and on-point if a bit eccentric.

It'll be interesting to see what may trasnpire between Maggie and Rust - there's clearly an attraction on her part. She was visibly hurt when Rust shut her down on the phone.

Still trying to sort out the obvious fact that Hart and Cohle aren't simply being interviewed about the old case. They are clearly being interrogated to a degree - with cameras recording them, suspicious questions etc.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm loving Rust's cerebral approach. He breaks things down to the real with such impunity it's surprisingly refreshing.

I'm waiting for the explosion between Hart and Cohle. I thought it was going to go down tonight.

So you didn't see the bizarre, half naked man wearing the mask and carrying the big machette?

Yeah, OK. For some reason that didn't connect. I was looking for a mystery. If he is the killer it will take a lot from the series, for me.

Why? There's nothing mysterious about a large man wearing nothing but a loin cloth and a gas-mask, casually carrying a large machete and looking menacingly around him in suspicion?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Why? There's nothing mysterious about a large man wearing nothing but a loin cloth and a gas-mask, casually carrying a large machete and looking menacingly around him in suspicion?

I wasn't looking for that. I'm still looking for a more conventional killer, like the preacher. If the man coming out in the scene you're talking about turns out to be the killer, it will be a disappointment for me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I wasn't looking for that. I'm still looking for a more conventional killer, like the preacher. If the man coming out in the scene you're talking about turns out to be the killer, it will be a disappointment for me.

I wouldn't anticipate anything too conventional to be coming.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What 24 does on his spare time isn't relevant to this show. Oh wait.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

So there's flashbacks to 1995 when Harrelson and McConaughey are trying to solve the case. Something goes wrong in their relationship in 2002 and they're no longer partners. They're being interviewed by the two young black detectives in 2012.

The murders have started happening again, and I think they're interviewing Harrelson and McConaughey to get some help in solving it. But this show is not really about the killer, it is about the relationship between Harrelson and McConaughey. Their interaction and character arcs are a big part of what makes this show great. The serial killer thing is just a backdrop for those characters.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
So there's flashbacks to 1995 when Harrelson and McConaughey are trying to solve the case. Something goes wrong in their relationship in 2002 and they're no longer partners. They're being interviewed by the two young black detectives in 2012.

The murders have started happening again, and I think they're interviewing Harrelson and McConaughey to get some help in solving it. But this show is not really about the killer, it is about the relationship between Harrelson and McConaughey. Their interaction and character arcs are a big part of what makes this show great. The serial killer thing is just a backdrop for those characters.

I agree about the Chole and Hart characters being focal. They are diametrically opposed. I've been waiting for them to collide. It came close in the last episode when Chole was at Hart's house and cut his lawn. Hart's cheating, his wife seems aware. I thought she was trying to give Chole a path to a relationship.

You may be right about the serial killer being a backdrop for the characters. If so it will take a lot from my expectations. I went in looking for a mystery, a who done it. If the killer hasn't been a part of the show it will be a disappointment for me.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I wouldn't anticipate anything too conventional to be coming.

I'm in a wait and see mode.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
Favorite lines tonight:

Yeah, I also liked:

"No, I don't wonder, Marty. World needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door." -Cohle

There's a great dynamic going on in that relationship - all the relationships in fact.

I like the contradiction of sorts that has Cohle as the apparently "crazy" guy and Marty as the relatively by the book, straightforward guy. In reality it's clear that Marty is the out of control loose cannon and Cohle's actually focused and on-point if a bit eccentric.

It'll be interesting to see what may trasnpire between Maggie and Rust - there's clearly an attraction on her part. She was visibly hurt when Rust shut her down on the phone.

Still trying to sort out the obvious fact that Hart and Cohle aren't simply being interviewed about the old case. They are clearly being interrogated to a degree - with cameras recording them, suspicious questions etc.

Saw a revue with a great line: the two detectives have such a contentious relationship because their dark sides fell in love at first sight (paraphrased).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
Favorite lines tonight:

Yeah, I also liked:

Saw a revue with a great line: the two detectives have such a contentious relationship because their dark sides fell in love at first sight (paraphrased).

Gotta link there ole' Veinticuatro ? Sounds like an interesting review.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
Favorite lines tonight:

Yeah, I also liked:

Gotta link there ole' Veinticuatro ? Sounds like an interesting review.

Sorry, can't find it.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject:

if somehow Rust and Martin are not suspects, then I'd say, the two detectives investigating the new case are very ineffective. no point in asking about Rust and Martin's lives, why not just go straight to the point and talk about things related to the case...
3 episodes and they are mainly talking about the lives of Rust and Martin... very poor pacing. it's like when you cook and you try to be too chefy, you tend to miss bold flavors...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
if somehow Rust and Martin are not suspects, then I'd say, the two detectives investigating the new case are very ineffective. no point in asking about Rust and Martin's lives, why not just go straight to the point and talk about things related to the case...
3 episodes and they are mainly talking about the lives of Rust and Martin... very poor pacing. it's like when you cook and you try to be too chefy, you tend to miss bold flavors...

They are talking about things related to the case. They're questioning them about how they worked the serial killer case starting in 1995.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

The discussion of their lives IS the pacing of the show. It is pretty evident that it is not getting in the way of the story, but it IS the story.

The show isn't about the murder. The murder is a vehicle for the lead characters' stories. Just like Breaking Bad wasn't a show about cooking meth. It was a show about a common man's descent into evil.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm beginning to think I may be looking for something that's not really important regarding what the shows message is.

I've always felt the leads had opposing personality's. I never gave thought to that being the shows impetus.

Their alone dialogs have been interesting. I've been waiting for the clash since the story began. 5 more to go.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke - you're doing yourself a disservice by expecting some particular climax and counting down the episodes. Now, some shows were designed to be viewed this way, in which everything happens in the next episode i.e. Breaking Bad. Not this one. Just enjoy the show.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:

The discussion of their lives IS the pacing of the show. It is pretty evident that it is not getting in the way of the story, but it IS the story.

The show isn't about the murder. The murder is a vehicle for the lead characters' stories. Just like Breaking Bad wasn't a show about cooking meth. It was a show about a common man's descent into evil.

It's called a character study, and thus far, it's damned brilliant.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Oh really? I wasn't aware there was a term for this kind of stuff.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:

I know YOU know. Quick question for you: Do you think the fact that there is only one writer and one director for all episodes is a big part of the reason the tone and dialogue is so spot on and consistent feeling (aside from the talent of those people of course)?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

It's ok. You don't work in the industry.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Watching it again. So may good quotes:

"...people rather put a coin in a wishing well then buy dinner."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:

I know YOU know. Quick question for you: Do you think the fact that there is only one writer and one director for all episodes is a big part of the reason the tone and dialogue is so spot on and consistent feeling (aside from the talent of those people of course)?

Definitely. While it's certainly possible to maintain a consistent vision when there are multiple writers and directors, I think the logistics of collaboration inevitably leads to a loss of simplicity and directness when it comes to maintaining it. I think what happens is that things can get over-thought when a collective needs to work together to keep each other "on track". It can work beautifully when well done, but the consistencies become obvious themes rather than subtleties - sort of like trying to maintain color themes in Breaking Bad. They did a great job of working out the intricacies of all that, but at the same, there's a rigidity and predictability that comes from all the entities trying to maintain the "rules".

I think novels are a great example. You have one mind guiding you through the story and that mind is well aware of what it wants you to know and how, and it knows the language it's using to guide you through it. It doesn't have to find ways to bring several interpretations into a single voice - the voice is an organic result of the vision. When you have several people discussing how to say the same thing, the elegance can easily get lost.
liltinybus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Side point: Did it bother anyone else in the second or third episode when Hart and Maggie are about to talk to their daughter about her drawings, that the game in the background is a Laker game against the Bulls obviously from the 80's, yet this takes place in 1995? I'm weird that way.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

liltinybus wrote:
Side point: Did it bother anyone else in the second or third episode when Hart and Maggie are about to talk to their daughter about her drawings, that the game in the background is a Laker game against the Bulls obviously from the 80's, yet this takes place in 1995? I'm weird that way.

I couldn't tell who it was. It couldn't have been LSU?

Great show so for. "For just a little bit".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24
Jump to: