View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:

DonMagicWand wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
ArmchairGM wrote:
Anyone not watching this show is missing out. Its a modern day masterpiece and really exemplifies the "McConaissance"

I'm worried that they will not be able to top season 1. It's like the Beatles starting with Abbey Road as their debut album, or Radiohead starting with OK Computer. How do you top that?

yeah, they will have to take it somewhere else, maybe another country just to start off different.

Louisiana was just right with the mix of religion, witchcraft (so to speak), the geography and the history of Katrina to play a major character in the story.

Be interesting who they cast as well.

Having McConaghy star in a TV series at the height of his acting career is pretty damn amazing itself.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject:

McConaghy's reign over awards shows isn't even over yet. He dominated this awards season for his movie, next season he's a no-brainer for the Golden Globe and the Emmy.

Louisiana was a damned perfect setting for this kind of thing. They didn't even go anywhere near New Orleans and yet were still able to pull off the cadaverous bayou spook that they were going for.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
gildedgirth
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DonMagicWand wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
ArmchairGM wrote:
Anyone not watching this show is missing out. Its a modern day masterpiece and really exemplifies the "McConaissance"

I'm worried that they will not be able to top season 1. It's like the Beatles starting with Abbey Road as their debut album, or Radiohead starting with OK Computer. How do you top that?

yeah, they will have to take it somewhere else, maybe another country just to start off different.

Louisiana was just right with the mix of religion, witchcraft (so to speak), the geography and the history of Katrina to play a major character in the story.

Be interesting who they cast as well.

Having McConaghy star in a TV series at the height of his acting career is pretty damn amazing itself.

Rumors are that season 2 will feature a female character.

From a recent RollingStone article:
Quote:
McConaughey's departure may be more a function of Pizzolatto's plan for the show all along. True Detective was conceived as an anthology show, with each season telling a discrete story with a different locale and group of characters. This may include the emergence of a strong female protagonist. In a now-deleted tweet, Pizzolatto replied to one fan who requested a deeper look at the show's female characters with, "One of the detriments of only having two POV characters, both men (a structural necessity). Next season…"
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject:

It will be interesting to see what threads/format continue on next season.
2 detectives/protagonists? time jumps? mystic undertones?

Big act to follow.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm kinda worried about next season. This season will be a tough act to follow.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Yeah, I'm kinda worried about next season. This season will be a tough act to follow.

Any future goodness is a bonus, and we be treated as a stand alone. This season stands by itself.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject:

The scene between these two at the diner at the beginning reminded me of De Niro and Pacino in Heat at the cafe when they finally meet for the first time, sizing each other up.

Harrelson's acting really stood out in this one. Some hard gained wisdom and self-knowledge. And show did a great job showing how that helped him slowly in stages decide to repay their debt.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

I don't usually buy TV Blu-ray's, but I can make an exception here, especially if it's packed with special features.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

When driving in Louisiana Woody and Matt drive by some strange white markings in a field on the left. A cross and other markings. Anyone know their significance?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject:

TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject:

DonMagicWand wrote:
It will be interesting to see what threads/format continue on next season.
2 detectives/protagonists? time jumps? mystic undertones?

Big act to follow.

The key is to find great actors. If you can't find A-Listers then you find the best TV actors available. I'm sure a bunch of them would jump at the chance.

I know a few who fit the bill: Jensen Ackles and Matt Smith, both good actors who want to make the jump from their TV shows to a bigger stage. True Detective would be a good stepping stone.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject:

Mrs Hasbro did it, in the basement, with a ice pick.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Brilliant I'm speechless what a series
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Great episode, can't see how next season could be any better.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject:

"L'chaim, fat-ass"

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I was riveted the whole episode. Finally the murderer was revealed. A friendship was formed. I kept thinking damn they're both going to die! That would have been to much. I don't see how the next series can top this one. It's going to take brilliance to come close.

Far From Any Road

Click on show more to see the lyrics.

Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject:

I liked Rust's little Jesus moment at the end. And he can feel again! I'm really glad they didn't end it all depressing-like with some Cult Doctor killing them both in the hospital.

Light vs Dark...knowing that it's cool that Rust was wearing all white during his fight with Errol.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject:

No chance of MM and WH coming back for another season? Rust mentioned that they didn't get them all.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:
No chance of MM and WH coming back for another season? Rust mentioned that they didn't get them all.

Nope, I wish they would though. There may still be some cult members alive but all the killers were dealt with. Plus I think he mentioned that to reinforce the point that while there's still darkness out there, the light is slowly gaining the upper hand.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject:

What a series! I mean, damn!

pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject:

Funny reading Reddit forums those who just took it as what it was found the ending to be great and the cap to a great series, those who where trying to figure it out and had crazy theories where left feeling down, mostly because there was not a whole lot to figure out if you where aware it was more about the main characters and less about the who dun it
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

Awesome ending, great TV series.

The actor who played the bad guy did a great job, he was creepy as heck, and showed he had some intelligence, cunning and chameleon skills.

Carcosa was insane, that must have been fun to production design, the locale and setup of the buildings/tunnels was great.

Rumors are they will have a female lead next season. They are going to have to bring Streep to live up to Matt's screen presence.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Funny reading Reddit forums those who just took it as what it was found the ending to be great and the cap to a great series, those who where trying to figure it out and had crazy theories where left feeling down, mostly because there was not a whole lot to figure out if you where aware it was more about the main characters and less about the who dun it

It took a few episodes before I caught on to what the series hinged on. I saw the bonding before it actually came to fruition.

I liked the way the series ended with the two seemingly form a lifelong friendship after all they went through.

What I didn't see clarified was did Marty's family come back to stay.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

Streep, as decorated as she is, is already a step down.

pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
pmacla wrote:

It took a few episodes before I caught on to what the series hinged on. I saw the bonding before it actually came to fruition.

I liked the way the series ended with the two seemingly form a lifelong friendship after all they went through.

What I didn't see clarified was did Marty's family come back to stay.

Dont think they came back to stay but think that was there moment of forgiveness, forgiving him for being an unattentive and unavailable father and husband, Rust verbalized his moment they just visualized Marty by his reacyion to his family and his state of mind otherwise
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 10 of 24
Jump to: