PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If the implication satisfies you OK. It was only a implication. He may be still alive. I'm not sure.

It was an implication in the sense that we never actually see it happen.

But it was very clearly set up the way the scenes played out. Farrell says that the rapist was never caught. But in the very next scene we see Farrell, the COP, being given the rapist's identity. It's very obvious what happened. There's no way that Farrell simply passed that info onto some detectives who were never able to make the case. Farrell obviously took things into his own hands. And given what we have seen about him and his aggressiveness, it's obvious he didn't just tell the rapist that if he would just disappear, he wouldn't arrest him.

Could be. I'm still not convinced. It still leaves who's the father of his son.

Ok, whatever. But you're going to miss out on a lot of this series if you don't follow what the story is clearly telling you.

I'm not going to miss out on anything.

I'm fine with what the story's telling me. It's not telling me the same thing it's telling you. Not saying you're wrong.

Tell you what, you watch it your way, draw your conclusions, I'll watch it my way and draw mine.

By all means do so.

I'm just saying there's a reason why Writers and Editors lay out things the way we do - there's often story that is being told by words and circumstance that you don't see played out before your eyes. Especially on a show like this.

You're going to get much more out of a show like this if you take the time to try and absorb the obvious subtleties that are being laid out in the storytelling rather than waiting for all the events to play out before your eyes.

I mean seriously. You admitted you overlooked one of the most important scenes of the opening episode where Farrell and Vaughn meet for the first time and Vaughn gives Farrell the rapist.

Given that fact, you'd likely benefit from accepting what others have observed that escaped "your way of watching"

But I get it, as you say, you are proudly stubborn. Better to ignore the helpful observation than to help yourself fill in the pieces.

Why are you so obsessed with how I watch and enjoy a show?

I'm not "obsessed" with how you watch.

I'm just urging you to watch more closely because I like you and I would like you to get the most out of the experience of watching the show.

YOU asked if you had missed something - which you did. You admitted that you missed an important part of the first episode - the first scene where Vaughn and Farrell meet. An important scene.

I'm just trying to help. But I won't anymore. Obviously you are much more interested in watching your way. So I will ignore it when your way leads you to ask questions.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If the implication satisfies you OK. It was only a implication. He may be still alive. I'm not sure.

It was an implication in the sense that we never actually see it happen.

But it was very clearly set up the way the scenes played out. Farrell says that the rapist was never caught. But in the very next scene we see Farrell, the COP, being given the rapist's identity. It's very obvious what happened. There's no way that Farrell simply passed that info onto some detectives who were never able to make the case. Farrell obviously took things into his own hands. And given what we have seen about him and his aggressiveness, it's obvious he didn't just tell the rapist that if he would just disappear, he wouldn't arrest him.

Could be. I'm still not convinced. It still leaves who's the father of his son.

Ok, whatever. But you're going to miss out on a lot of this series if you don't follow what the story is clearly telling you.

I'm not going to miss out on anything.

I'm fine with what the story's telling me. It's not telling me the same thing it's telling you. Not saying you're wrong.

Tell you what, you watch it your way, draw your conclusions, I'll watch it my way and draw mine.

By all means do so.

I'm just saying there's a reason why Writers and Editors lay out things the way we do - there's often story that is being told by words and circumstance that you don't see played out before your eyes. Especially on a show like this.

You're going to get much more out of a show like this if you take the time to try and absorb the obvious subtleties that are being laid out in the storytelling rather than waiting for all the events to play out before your eyes.

I mean seriously. You admitted you overlooked one of the most important scenes of the opening episode where Farrell and Vaughn meet for the first time and Vaughn gives Farrell the rapist.

Given that fact, you'd likely benefit from accepting what others have observed that escaped "your way of watching"

But I get it, as you say, you are proudly stubborn. Better to ignore the helpful observation than to help yourself fill in the pieces.

Why are you so obsessed with how I watch and enjoy a show?

I'm not "obsessed" with how you watch.

I'm just urging you to watch more closely because I like you and I would like you to get the most out of the experience of watching the show.

YOU asked if you had missed something - which you did. You admitted that you missed an important part of the first episode - the first scene where Vaughn and Farrell meet. An important scene.

I'm just trying to help. But I won't anymore. Obviously you are much more interested in watching your way. So I will ignore it when your way leads you to ask questions.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet most who've witnessed our exchanges don't believe we really like one another.

Don't worry I'll get the most out of the experience of watching the show, I'll just do it my way.

OK, ignore it, someone will answer.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

If I were a betting man, I'd bet most who've witnessed our exchanges don't believe we really like one another.

I don't care what others think. You know that as well as anyone.

Quote:
Don't worry I'll get the most out of the experience of watching the show, I'll just do it my way.

OK, someone will answer.

Have at it. Just watch closely and you won't have questions. You might even have some answers.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't care what others think. You know that as well as anyone.

Quote:

OK, someone will answer.

Have at it. Just watch closely and you won't have questions. You might even have some answers.

Yes sir Mr DMR. In the future I'll be more diligent.

Quote:

Yes, I admitted as much. Remember I missed the man flying through the air in front of the police cruiser when the cop used his car as a weapon. I miss a lotta ish.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject:

The second season is focusing too much on plot intricacies and not enough on character development. There aren't any amusing aspects to the characters or their interactions, and the writing is not giving me any reason to care about what happens to the characters.

Vaughn did a good job with the monologue about his traumatic childhood experience, but what does that have to do with the man he is now or his relationships with other characters that are featured in the story? It was a stand-alone scene. Every time he talked to his business associates I was waiting for the scenes to end.

This season has been pretty boring so far. I didn't even care about what happened in the last scene.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
The second season is focusing too much on plot intricacies and not enough on character development. There aren't any amusing aspects to the characters or their interactions, and the writing is not giving me any reason to care about what happens to the characters.

Vaughn did a good job with the monologue about his traumatic childhood experience, but what does that have to do with the man he is now or his relationships with other characters that are featured in the story? It was a stand-alone scene. Every time he talked to his business associates I was waiting for the scenes to end.

This season has been pretty boring so far. The last scene tried to pull a Game of Thrones Sean Bean shocker, but the problem is in this case I don't care about the character.

My view is 180 deg from yours. I thought Vaughn's opening monologue was awful, but thought the show improved this week from last. I think that was Dan from Deadwood as Farrell's drunk slob partner, good to see. The CHP guy is getting interesting, though I hope that's not the last from his gf. Vaughn and the lines are big mistakes, though the constant freeway views are getting on my nerves. But show didn't seem quite as dull as last week, seemed like it got a little momentum. That corrupt as heck Vinci mayor is pretty good as a sleazeball. Actually the less important actors are doing a good job, like the henchmen, scarred waitress with Farrell, CHP weird mom. Thought Farrell did a good job with his less strong material.

But if I see that singer at the end of next week's episode at the bar again, I might be done.
AceFresh
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject:

So I'm assuming Farrell had kevlar on
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

This season has been pretty boring so far. I didn't even care about what happened in the last scene.

The monologue was a metaphor of his current situation. What he feared as a child is where he is now, vulnerable, and with predators (some known and some unknown) circling. He's coming to realize that his five mil might be the least of the things he could lose.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject:

Rachael McAdams is a revelation. Her face and posture so much more telling than her dialogue.
AceFresh
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Rachael McAdams is a revelation. Her face and posture so much more telling than her dialogue.

Could see some kind of Cult tie in with her tumultuous past and her "hippy" father. . .
Also the "5" she mentioned could possibly include Kitsch's character..?
rockyp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject:

AceFresh wrote:

Doesn't strike me as a character that would be wearing kevlar. Anyways, I was falling asleep towards the end, so I wasn't paying attention. Who's house was at?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject:

AceFresh wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. What's with the bird head the shooter was wearing?

I'm interested in why he was so hurt when his wife threatened him with a paternity test.

I sense some incest in the making with Woodrugh and his mother.

DMR I'm paying more attention to what Ray says. I'm leaning more toward he killed the guy who raped his wife. I got that from his conversation with his wife. He told her after all he did for her and she said he's a bad person.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
The second season is focusing too much on plot intricacies and not enough on character development.

And compounding the problem with heavily cliched characters and performances. If I have to watch one more minute of that comically ridiculous drunk Mayor I think I'm going to puke.

Quote:
There aren't any amusing aspects to the characters or their interactions, and the writing is not giving me any reason to care about what happens to the characters.

I've actually been more amused by counting the appearances by actors who have been on other shows I have worked on.

Quote:
Vaughn did a good job with the monologue about his traumatic childhood experience, but what does that have to do with the man he is now or his relationships with other characters that are featured in the story? It was a stand-alone scene.

It was interesting, but I got taken out of it by some of the mismatching cuts. Another scene that I felt was either truncated, or Vaughn just wasn't consistent between takes.

The gimmick at the end of tying the water stains into Caspers acid burns was cool though.

Quote:
Every time he talked to his business associates I was waiting for the scenes to end.

And some of the scenes just ended so cheesely. That scene where they visit Caspers "shrink" ended on such a bad note it was just amateurish. Not only was the whole thing where the guy asks her whether she was related to her Father silly dialogue, but it was the first time (I believe) that we found out her first name was Antigone - Antigone? Oh please, how spot on is that?

Just about everything so fast is ridiculously over the top or embarrassingly spot on.

Quote:

I cared, but only in the sense that I know I won't have to watched Farrell's hackneyed performance of a ridiculous character anymore.

Not even having the guy who shoots him wear some kind of crow costume made it moire interesting than that.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

The only saving grace really for me, other the noir imagery, which is still keeping me going through the other nonsense.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

This season has been pretty boring so far. The last scene tried to pull a Game of Thrones Sean Bean shocker, but the problem is in this case I don't care about the character.

My view is 180 deg from yours. I thought Vaughn's opening monologue was awful, but thought the show improved this week from last. I think that was Dan from Deadwood as Farrell's drunk slob partner, good to see. The CHP guy is getting interesting, though I hope that's not the last from his gf.

He's one of the worst parts. Between, his, "When it's over, do I get to go back to the bike" and his pulp fiction miserable Mom who with her crush on him? Oh please, I wish he'd just killed himself when he tried.

Quote:
Vaughn and the lines are big mistakes, though the constant freeway views are getting on my nerves. But show didn't seem quite as dull as last week, seemed like it got a little momentum. That corrupt as heck Vinci mayor is pretty good as a sleazeball. Actually the less important actors are doing a good job, like the henchmen, scarred waitress with Farrell, CHP weird mom. Thought Farrell did a good job with his less strong material.

She's the only one I'm interested in hearing a backstory on, though I am afraid if we hear it that it will be as equally disappointing in it's lack of originality as the rest of this mess.

Quote:
But if I see that singer at the end of next week's episode at the bar again, I might be done.

Now THERE we are on the same page.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject:

rockyp wrote:
AceFresh wrote:

Doesn't strike me as a character that would be wearing kevlar. Anyways, I was falling asleep towards the end, so I wasn't paying attention. Who's house was at?

Yep. Way too out of it and he's given up. Doubtful his sense of self preservation and attention to detail lead to a decision like that - and if it did, it's just another example of bad, and convenient writing.

As far as whose house it was, it was Casper's Hollywood house where he "entertained" his young escorts.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

DMR I'm paying more attention to what Ray says. I'm leaning more toward he killed the guy who assaulted his wife. I got that from his conversation with his wife. He told her after all he did for her and she said he's a bad person.

Just leaning? Between his wife and the Vince Vaughn scene threatening to divulge to the cops how he helped dump the rapist's body, it's not even a question.

"Leaning"???
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I'm interested in why he was so hurt when his wife threatened him with a paternity test.

Both he and his wife know the boy is not his, and was conceived due to her rape. They just have been ignoring it for obvious reasons of personal convenience. The writing makes it clear, and I think the casting of a dark-eyed brunette along with Farrell's look is meant emphasize the point that the fair-skinned red-head is not Farrell's kid.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Both he and his wife know the boy is not his, and was conceived due to her assault. They just have been ignoring it for obvious reasons of personal convenience. The writing makes it clear, and I think the casting of a dark-eyed brunette along with Farrell's look is meant emphasize the point that the fair-skinned red-head is not Farrell's kid.

See there, you'll help a codger out even if you say you won't.

dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject:

Just watched the second episode, had a couple of really busy days. Colin Farrell dead after two episodes?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
Just watched the second episode, had a couple of really busy days. Colin Farrell dead after two episodes?

He may not be dead . . . yet. Remember that whoever killed Casper tortured him first. So we may see a little of that.

Though it'd be tough to survive a point blank shotgun gun blast to the midsection.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Both he and his wife know the boy is not his, and was conceived due to her assault. They just have been ignoring it for obvious reasons of personal convenience. The writing makes it clear, and I think the casting of a dark-eyed brunette along with Farrell's look is meant emphasize the point that the fair-skinned red-head is not Farrell's kid.

See there, you'll help a codger out even if you say you won't.

Maybe I'm steering you down the wrong path.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:

He may not be dead . . . yet. Remember that whoever killed Casper tortured him first. So we may see a little of that.

Though it'd be tough to survive a point blank shotgun gun blast to the midsection.

If he did shoot him simply to incapacitate him, then he must have used rock salts. I originally thought that - particularly because he is billed for all 8 episodes - but Farrell's interview on Fallon has me thinking otherwise. In any event, he is either sidelined for the season in a hospital or going to appear solely in flashbacks.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:

If he did shoot him simply to incapacitate him, then he must have used rock salts. I originally thought that - particularly because he is billed for all 8 episodes - but Farrell's interview on Fallon has me thinking otherwise. In any event, he is either sidelined for the season in a hospital or going to appear solely in flashbacks.

That's a function of the way credits work for principle actors and doesn't mean he will be in all of them. When you are a principle for a series season, you get billing for every episode regardless of whether you are in an episode or not.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:

That's a function of the way credits work for principle actors and doesn't mean he will be in all of them. When you are a principle for a series season, you get billing for every episode regardless of whether you are in an episode or not.

I see. Thanks for the insight. Did you (or anyone) see the Farrell interview on Fallon?

Link

I won't quote it - I don't want to spoil anything - but he makes an interesting remark about working with the cast around the 1:20 mark. Leads me to think that he is probably gone
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 15 of 24
Jump to: