True Detective
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't too big a fan of the ending. Felt like you could've spread those out over the course of a season and it might've made the season better. Reminded me too much of The Town's alternate ending.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
focus wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
I'm doing something dangerous spoiler wise by posting here, but can anyone tell me if it's worth going through this season given the terrible reviews the finale is getting?

I watched the premier episode but stopped after that due to some binging on other shows.

I would say you should watch it. Myself I liked True Detective Season 2 because I took it for what it was .... a new story line with new characters.

I think the general issue is Season 1 was A+, Phenomenal, Amazing etc

So you know Season 2 had NO CHANCE to live up to such lofty expectations.

Personally I would give Season 2 a letter grade of B-

S1 was A but though at 1st I'd agreed with s2 being a B-, further thought I give it a C-. C is average not good not bad, so C- feels right.

I'd say don't watch it. Why waste limited time (only 24 hours in a day right) on even a B- show with the other good options? After Vaughn was cast, I set my expectations pretty low and treated s2 on its own merits...which were not much. Acting and story mostly weak. Binge on other shows (or life). I still haven't even seen 1 ep of Breaking Bad yet.

I thought it was going to be a better finale because I saw last couple episodes better than all the earlier ones. Not disappointed I stuck with it, because I just wanted to see the characters end up and I didn't mind some of the action scenes.

Hope season 3 has no tie to s2 or even s1.
Wishlist Cast - John Hawkes (sol from deadwood, and evil cult leader in a movie)
Kim Dickens also Deadwood, Treme
rila fukushima from Wolverine
erica tazel from Deadwood
margo martindale
Lots of women for a change.

Whose acting in particular was weak?

Vince gets the title here. I never thought McAdams was bad in her movies comedies. I think she's miscast here as a world weary detective especially in the early episodes, though others disagree. Thought she did a solid job in the last couple episodes though. Story and other aspects didn't help actors out a whole lot. A lot of minor characters were pretty decent though.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:

To me Colin Farrell did a better job in this season than anyone in True Detective season 1. He pretty much carried the season with Rachel Mcadams.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject:

I liked it, but I immediately separated season 1 from season 2 in my own head and evaluations.

Colin Farrell was especially masterful in season 2,
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject:

This season was Gawd awful. It was like watching a horny dog dry-humping air. A bunch of pointless flailing without ever hitting the mark. What a complete waste of talent. And an even bigger waste of viewers time. What exactly was the high point of the season? Could of at least gave the viewers some relief by blasting that dang annoying folk singer who kept popping up at the wierdest of moments, but noooo.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Season 2 was terrible. It was impossibly hard to follow. I mean one of the biggest motivators behind Vince Vaughn's actions was the death of Stan and no one knew who the hell Stan was. The most popular article going around regarding True Detective was a guide on understanding what was going on. The only thing more out of place than Vince Vaughn was his girlfriend. Way too many characters that they didn't spend nearly enough time developing.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
This season was Gawd awful. It was like watching a horny dog dry-humping air. A bunch of pointless flailing without ever hitting the mark. What a complete waste of talent. And an even bigger waste of viewers time. What exactly was the high point of the season? Could of at least gave the viewers some relief by blasting that dang annoying folk singer who kept popping up at the wierdest of moments, but noooo.

How many times did we need Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell staring at each other? That was half the show.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I'd give season 2 a passing grade.

Both seasons of True Detective have had amazing action sequences. The problem is that they don't happen frequent enough.
The 6 minute, single take, tracking shot of McConaughey running through low-income gang-infested houses was amazing season 1.
Season 2 had a great street firefight/massacre.

The directing in True Detective almost gives it a passing grade on its own.
Even if I found the script lacking season 2.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I liked it, but I immediately separated season 1 from season 2 in my own head and evaluations.

Colin Farrell was especially masterful in season 2,

I thought Colin did a good job. I was intrigued by wondering if his son was his. His chubby features and red hair through some off. I'm glad they cleared his paternity.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I know I shouldn't let it bother me but it does.

Those who like to bad mouth other people's creative efforts clearly have no idea what it takes to bring a show to the screen.

Most of the morons here only care to harp on a story seemingly half told, and lack the intelligence or simply just the general awareness of the amazing job that was done with the subtle yet effective cinematic elements.

The music ( Lera Lynn) and acting ( Everyone) this season was amazing, the cinematography was top shelf, the lighting was incredible, the location team (Michael, Darrin and the gang pulled off some AMAZING looks) and is what I feel a well told story that was a love and a hate affair with Southern California, a tale of treachery and a tale of lost hope.

So to all those who like to bad mouth other peoples hard work, I ask you how would you feel if you were critiqued negatively for your janitorial skills or whatever menial, brainless occupation you toil away at?

Yes, you are entitled to your stupid opinion as am I etc etc I know, dont bother....
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Hey dub why don't you tell how you really feel!!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I really do apologize to any janitors here, I do appreciate them, just a bit upset.

If you cant read between the lines i was involved personally on a few different levels this season and it just hurts a bit when I see how much work was put in.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I really do apologize to any janitors here, I do appreciate them, just a bit upset.

If you cant read between the lines i was involved personally on a few different levels this season and it just hurts a bit when I see how much work was put in.

So it's ok for me to talk about how much I loved season 1 but I can't talk about how much I hated season 2? It's a two way street.

The story is impossible to follow. Answer something for me. After the Orgy party why are they all fugitives? How do they know that Rachel McAdams was the girl who killed the guy? How do they know Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch were involved?

It took me a while to realize the black guy at the end of episode 9 was Colin Farrell's police chief. They didn't spend nearly enough time developing him if he was going to play such an important role at the end.

And then there was the who the hell is Stan debacle. Did Stan even have a speaking role?

There was the huge joke of the red headed kid being Farrell's kid at the end. I know there was supposed to be some kind of sense of emotion at the end with that scene but how am I supposed to feel any emotion when it is so blatantly obvious that kid could never be Colin Farrell's kid. At least get someone that looks a little similar.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject:

I think the criticisms I can't wrap my head around are the acting and how the story was hard to follow. I didn't think I was some kind of genius for being able to follow everything on my first viewings, but after finishing the season and then going back and reading reviews, I'm starting to wonder...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject:

I got the connection with Ani's father (David Morse) and how she got to the mental state she was in but never get the relevance of his character. She was the one left standing.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Potential True Detective Season 3 cast: Bert and Ernie.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject:

is this going to be cancelled now? the 1st season was good the 1st few episodes and then it went south... the 2nd season looks boring.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Wow, the fact that some of you stuck with Season 2 stuns me.

Season 1 was very well done across the board.

By the 4th episode of Season 2, it was clearly a pile of self-indulgent nonsense more involved with style than substance.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

By the 4th episode of Season 2, it was clearly a pile of self-indulgent nonsense more involved with style than substance.

Hey, just because I stuck with this show longer than I did with Chicago Fire...

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Hey, just because I stuck with this show longer than I did with Chicago Fire...

I didn't even stick with Chicago Fire.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys. Lighten up on criticism dub is sensitive.

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

You are correct, and I'm more upset with myself than anything else. I kept trying to give myself the excuse that "Last season was good, so this is bound to get better. There's just too much talent in play for it not to get better".

But you're right, I've nobody to blame for myself to have continued watching. What I just did is basically allow someone to pour donkey dung on my head and instead of smartly leaving, I instead kept coming back for more Donkey dung. Can't blame the donkey dung crew for that one. They didn't force me to come back for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, & 7th helping of donkey dung bathing.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:

^^^^ Don't feel bad you're not on the bus alone. I stayed with anticipation. I thought, it has to get better.

I think season 1 was the reason so many hung around. I really believe season 3 will have the same hang around affect for the same reason, season 1. Hopefully it will come close to expectations.

USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I'd give season 2 a passing grade.

Both seasons of True Detective have had amazing action sequences. The problem is that they don't happen frequent enough.
The 6 minute, single take, tracking shot of McConaughey running through low-income gang-infested houses was amazing season 1.
Season 2 had a great street firefight/massacre.

The directing in True Detective almost gives it a passing grade on its own.
Even if I found the script lacking season 2.

One of my favorite scenes in the series, and although well done, I think the gang shootout in season 2 had more suspense. You didn't know who was making it out.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:

True Detectives presents a unique problem. New story lines, new characters, new settings, new everything every season.

Season 1 set the bar kinda high. It's going to be difficult to match it. It's going to take extraordinary writing, story lines and casting.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 18 of 24
Jump to: