Radio broadcaster suspended for calling college athlete "King Kong"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Radio broadcaster suspended for calling college athlete "King Kong"

Iowa broadcaster suspended after King Kong comment about Terps’ Bruno Fernando

Quote:
An Iowa basketball play-by-play announcer has been suspended through the end of the season, after referring to Maryland’s Bruno Fernando as “King Kong” during a recent radio broadcast.

Gary Dolphin, who has called Iowa football and men’s basketball games since 1996, remarked that, “Fernando was King Kong at the end of the game,” when the No. 24 Terrapins beat the No. 21 Hawkeyes, 66-65, on Tuesday night in Iowa City.

LINK

Sometimes I get it....then other times like this one, I just do not get it. It seems like some people go out their way to be offended. The announcer used "King Kong" describing how a near 7' college star dominated the end of a game with his excellent performance. I routinely refer to athletes as "beasts" and "animals" when they are being physically dominant. I also claim players have "dog" in them to describe their aggressiveness.

I do not use "King Kong" because it just feels dated....more of a description my mother would give because she is a fan of those movies. Is it just the ape/monkey thing? Would it have been ok if he said Fernando was "Godzilla" out there? When I hear "King Kong", I think of big and strong....not that King Kong is an ape, which is a primate, and how that relates to the anthropoid suborder....and somehow get back to this must be a racist comment!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

Sometimes multiple things may be true. It may be true that he did not intend any harm, while also being true that he used a stereotype so ingrained and hateful that it cannot he separated from its ill will. Black folk have been repeatedly and hatefully been both lampooned as and outright called apes for about as long as whites people have known about the existence of both. And what is King Kong? He’s a big black ape. Not exactly the words you want to use about a large black man.

There’s a larger meditation here on privilege and why this is an example of it, both in saying it and in wondering why it’s a big deal, but I have come to understand that a little sensitivity toward groups that have been disparaged by the larger power structure goes a long way, and instead of outrage as a (privileged) reaction to someone taking offense, it is not that hard to assimilate the feelings of that person or people and realize how easy it is simply to accommodate their wish not to be subjected to terms they find offensive. As a bonus, beginning to watch your language enacts a bit of illumination on your thought processes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Sometimes multiple things may be true. It may be true that he did not intend any harm, while also being true that he used a stereotype so ingrained and hateful that it cannot he separated from its ill will. Black folk have been repeatedly and hatefully been both lampooned as and outright called apes for about as long as whites people have known about the existence of both. And what is King Kong? He’s a big black ape. Not exactly the words you want to use about a large black man.

There’s a larger meditation here on privilege and why this is an example of it, both in saying it and in wondering why it’s a big deal, but I have come to understand that a little sensitivity toward groups that have been disparaged by the larger power structure goes a long way, and instead of outrage as a (privileged) reaction to someone taking offense, it is not that hard to assimilate the feelings of that person or people and realize how easy it is simply to accommodate their wish not to be subjected to terms they find offensive. As a bonus, beginning to watch your language enacts a bit of illumination on your thought processes.

I was kind of with you until you invoked the "privileged" language. I just do not subscribe to this being related to that. Also, keep in mind, the player has made no comment that he was offended by the comment.....the school he plays for has made no comment they felt offended by the comment. It was a few listeners (who I would strongly speculate that this is not their first rodeo) that jumped on social media with accusations, which resulted in a hungry internet mob of people calling for his job.....99.9% of them never actually even heard the man make the statement on the radio.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

The name already taken by the way, King Kong is Luis Ortiz, almost knocked out Wilder.

Non blacks should refrain from calling black athletes King Kong no matter how well intended
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I was kind of with you until you invoked the "privileged" language. I just do not subscribe to this being related to that. Also, keep in mind, the player has made no comment that he was offended by the comment.....the school he plays for has made no comment they felt offended by the comment. It was a few listeners (who I would strongly speculate that this is not their first rodeo) that jumped on social media with accusations, which resulted in a hungry internet mob of people calling for his job.....99.9% of them never actually even heard the man make the statement on the radio.

I know the word privilege rules people up, mostly because it feels like an accusation. But it isn’t. It’s a statement about the ignorance that people in the dominant culture have about the non dominant culture(s). It leads white people to think they should tell black people what they should or shouldn’t be offended by, for example. Not out of malice, but out of a perspective that doesn’t know important things about the other person’s perspective.

The key is empathy, and empathy is not derived from applying my perspective to someone else’s situation. It is me listening to and applying theirs. Privilege is the assumption that my perspective is the natural and all encompassing one.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject:

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I know the word privilege rules people up, mostly because it feels like an accusation. But it isn’t. It’s a statement about the ignorance that people in the dominant culture have about the non dominant culture(s). It leads white people to think they should tell black people what they should or shouldn’t be offended by, for example. Not out of malice, but out of a perspective that doesn’t know important things about the other person’s perspective.

The key is empathy, and empathy is not derived from applying my perspective to someone else’s situation. It is me listening to and applying theirs. Privilege is the assumption that my perspective is the natural and all encompassing one.

Elegantly stated.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio broadcaster suspended for calling college athlete "King Kong"

Adkindo. How are you okay with this king kong comment.
But you were offended by Lebron singing the 21 Savage lyric, "I'm getting that Jewish money everything is kosher".

Seems inconsistent. But maybe there's some nuance I'm not understanding.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio broadcaster suspended for calling college athlete "King Kong"

kikanga wrote:
But you were offended by Lebron singing the 21 Savage lyric, "I'm getting that Jewish money everything is kosher".

Was Lebron fired for that? Where was the social media outpouring for James to be punished by losing his means or supporting this family. I think he's still emplyed, right?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio broadcaster suspended for calling college athlete "King Kong"

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Was Lebron fired for that? Where was the social media outpouring for James to be punished by losing his means or supporting this family. I think he's still emplyed, right?

Adkindo didn't say he was mad because Lebron wasn't properly punished. He said he was disappointed specifically because Lebron sang that rap line (initially). Adkindo implied Lebron's apology was suffice. But singing that lyric was inappropriate, and he shouldn't have said it in the first place.

Which is at odds with what he's saying in this thread.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

It's about the interpreters interpretation. If you're offended take a look in the mirror. If you're not , take a look in the mirror. What you see is a reflection of self. Honestly ask yourself about the Man In The Mirror.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

If the man truly is not racist (which is likely the case) and simply had a brain cramp and thought of a large beastly creature that popped into his head to describe the positive exploits of a large player, OK, I can accept his apology totally and would have been fine with something like a one-game suspension. Assuming he's not racist, I feel like a suspension for the rest of the season is too harsh, and certainly any calls for his job are way too harsh. To be clear, if anything were uncovered to show that he has racist/prejudiced views, then his ass should be fired and there should be no tolerance for that.

That all said, there is just no justification for using that type of phrasing to describe a person of color in 2019. Just can't do it. But if it's a mistake, OK, we should be willing to accept a sincere apology and move on. Chick Hearn once made an on-air gaffe like this. Intent matters.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Should've compared him to Godzilla.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
If the man truly is not racist (which is likely the case) and simply had a brain cramp and thought of a large beastly creature that popped into his head to describe the positive exploits of a large player, OK, I can accept his apology totally and would have been fine with something like a one-game suspension. Assuming he's not racist, I feel like a suspension for the rest of the season is too harsh, and certainly any calls for his job are way too harsh. To be clear, if anything were uncovered to show that he has racist/prejudiced views, then his ass should be fired and there should be no tolerance for that.

That all said, there is just no justification for using that type of phrasing to describe a person of color in 2019. Just can't do it. But if it's a mistake, OK, we should be willing to accept a sincere apology and move on. Chick Hearn once made an on-air gaffe like this. Intent matters.

Chick Hern needed to check his privilege. I'm assuming you're referring to him saying a black player was hanging on the rim "like a monkey " after a dunk?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject:

Terrorizing some radio personality because of a minor infraction is worse than the infraction itself

Justified Rage ??
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I know the word privilege rules people up, mostly because it feels like an accusation. But it isn’t. It’s a statement about the ignorance that people in the dominant culture have about the non dominant culture(s).

So it's not an accusation, but an insult. Hooray for you. It's basically a discussion-stopper. Once you start talking about "privilege," the AOC crowd cheers and slaps you on the back, while the people you are insulting flip you the middle finger and stop listening. This gives you a sense of moral superiority while accomplishing nothing.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I know the word privilege rules people up, mostly because it feels like an accusation. But it isn’t. It’s a statement about the ignorance that people in the dominant culture have about the non dominant culture(s).

So it's not an accusation, but an insult. Hooray for you. It's basically a discussion-stopper. Once you start talking about "privilege," the AOC crowd cheers and slaps you on the back, while the people you are insulting flip you the middle finger and stop listening. This gives you a sense of moral superiority while accomplishing nothing.

Can't call a spade a spade. Because it's a "discussion-stopper".
I don't like that line on reasoning. Reminds me of China's actions in regards to the Muslim genocide going on in that country.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-censor-uighur-muslim-detention-camps-bbc-news-report-xinjiang-a8792486.html

Can't talk about it! Or else China will give you the middle finger. And YOU are the (bleep) for bringing it up just to satiate your own sense of moral superiority.

That line of reasoning seems like a slippery slope.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Can't call a spade a spade. Otherwise it's a "discussion-stopper".
I don't like that line on reasoning. Reminds me of China's actions in regards to the Muslim genocide going on in that country.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-censor-uighur-muslim-detention-camps-bbc-news-report-xinjiang-a8792486.html

Can't talk about it! Or else China will give you the middle finger. And YOU are the (bleep) for bringing it up just to satiate your own sense of moral superiority.

It's a slippery slope argument.

Bull. You can address an issue without deliberately being divisive. Or you can just insult all the people who have a different viewpoint, then deny that you are being divisive because you are just "calling a spade a spade." Your choice.

This is one of the fundamental problems with political discourse in this country and, for that matter, the West as a whole. People are more interested in hurling vitriol at the other side than in actually talking. Which is really more inflammatory: Comparing a seven foot tall basketball player to King Kong, or calling the people who object "privileged"? If you don't see the comparison, then you need to get out of your bubble more.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

That’s strange. There’s no insult there.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Comparing a seven foot tall basketball player to King Kong, or calling the people who object "privileged"? If you don't see the comparison, then you need to get out of your bubble more.

Are you the same person who said this? (When Lebron sang the 21 Savage lyric, "Getting that Jewish money everything is kosher").

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Eh. Combining “Jewish” and “money” does not sound much like a compliment. Lebron should have known better.

At least be consistent.

Why did Lebron's comment bother you and this didn't? HMMMM. I wonder. I'm sure it has nothing to do with conservative media's coverage of both incidents.
But I'm in the bubble.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Comparing a seven foot tall basketball player to King Kong, or calling the people who object "privileged"? If you don't see the comparison, then you need to get out of your bubble more.

Are you the same person who said this? (When Lebron sang the 21 Savage lyric, "Getting that Jewish money everything is kosher").

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Eh. Combining “Jewish” and “money” does not sound much like a compliment. Lebron should have known better.

At least be consistent.

Why did Lebron's comment bother you and this didn't? HMMMM. I wonder. I'm sure it has nothing to do with conservative media's coverage of both incidents.
But I'm in the bubble.

Yeah, like I follow the conservative media. Sure thing. Like everyone else outside the bubble, I just sit around all day and watch Fox News, then spend an hour reading Breitbart before going to bed.

It was terrible that Lebron got suspended for making that comment, wasn't it? Oh, wait, nothing happened to him. He just said "my bad," and everyone moved on. That's not a great example to make your case. As you say, let's be consistent.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Fwiw, if the announcer says my bad, I think most will move on there too.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Did you think he didn't? It happened before this thread started.

Quote:
Dolphin released a statement in the release, apologizing for his language.

“During the broadcast, I used a comparison when trying to describe a talented Maryland basketball player. In no way did I intend to offend or disparage the player," Dolphin said. "I take full responsibility for my inappropriate word choice and offer a sincere apology to him and anyone else who was offended. I wish the Iowa Hawkeye players, coaches and fans all the very best as they head into the final stretch of the season. I will use this as an opportunity to grow as a person and learn more about unconscious bias."

Link
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Did you think he didn't? It happened before this thread started.

Quote:
Dolphin released a statement in the release, apologizing for his language.

“During the broadcast, I used a comparison when trying to describe a talented Maryland basketball player. In no way did I intend to offend or disparage the player," Dolphin said. "I take full responsibility for my inappropriate word choice and offer a sincere apology to him and anyone else who was offended. I wish the Iowa Hawkeye players, coaches and fans all the very best as they head into the final stretch of the season. I will use this as an opportunity to grow as a person and learn more about unconscious bias."

Link

Right, and I’m perfectly happy with him keeping his job. I think a short suspension and an apology and moving on is the right thing here, from my perspective. I’m open to other views, especially views from people for whom being called an ape is a real thing. The only reason we aren’t moving on here is that first we had to hear what a nothingburger calling a black man a big bad ape is, and that people are just looking to be outraged, and then of course the outrage over being told that might be a privileged kind of position to take.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Ahem, the announcer had just been suspended for 2 games on November 29th. Clearly he was on thin ice. They had 5 games remaining on their schedule. Suspension for the remainder of the season was the only plausible result for a guy that had just been warned to tone down his antics. (Granted his prior suspension were for comments made after a game when he didn't know a mike was hot).

The guy wasn't fired, and by all accounts will be right back in front of the mike to start the Hawkeyes football season. Geese. It's not a big deal. It's not like he's getting a paid vacation after shooting an innocent citizen...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: