If we had 1st pick in this years draft, would you trade it for Kyrie Irving?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

he hasnt had an injury free year since HS, would rather roll the dice with this years draft
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

So basically, if we got Kyrie Irving out of this year's draft with the #1 pick, people would consider that a bust.

Wow.

Its the injury concerns that worry me. But if I can have Kyrie at rookie price and without injuries? I would take that in a heartbeat.

People would rather gamble and then when the gamble becomes Anthony Bennett, they'll blame ol Jimbo.

So, that's why people are willing to gamble because they have someone to blame already if they make the wrong decision.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject:

No.

Kyrie is a bad defender. More of a scoring PG than one that makes his teammates better. Injury concerns.

Also lets not forget that he would be on the last year of his rookie contract looking for a max deal the following year. Which would interfere with our chances are signing Kevin Love since Kyrie would likely be getting that bigger extension like Rose got. Our pick will be on a rookie contract for 4 years before we have to sign him to a big deal. Which means more cap space in the upcoming years.

Definitely wouldn't do that trade.

Last edited by eureca on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject:

doubt we get the #1 pick, it will probably be somewhere between 3-7 so if that's the case yes I would do it! Then sign Melo and Love in 2015

Irving/Kobe/Melo/Love/need a shotblocker at C
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

NO!!!!!! Joel Embiid will be another one of our legendary centers. Book it.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:

I am always in favor of trading a pick for the sure thing.

If the Lakers can add Kyrie this summer, sign Love next summer, they're in contention for a ring in 2015 during Kobe's farewell tour.

And Lakers won't have the #1 pick so Embiid ain't happening.
Megatron24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Yes. Kyrie is a proven elite NBA all star with potential still to be a superstar. Every one in the draft this year is still a question mark whether they will actually be an all star caliber player in the NBA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Artesties wrote:
I am always in favor of trading a pick for the sure thing.

If the Lakers can add Kyrie this summer, sign Love next summer, they're in contention for a ring in 2015 during Kobe's farewell tour.

And Lakers won't have the #1 pick so Embiid ain't happening.

We're in contention for the best Pepsi commercial.
ComputerBlue
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
According to BSPN's Chad Ford

Quote:
Tim (Los Angeles)

How hot are the collective seats of Chris Grant and Mike Brown? And who do you think the Cavs are most likely to target at the deadline?
Chad Ford
(1:05 PM)

Virtually every GM in the league believes that Grant will be gone this summer if things don't get turned around this season. He doesn't have much time. The thinking is that there's no way Dan Gilbert is going to let him make another lottery pick if that's the direction the Cavs end up heading. Grant's goal (via his owner) is to get this team competitive and into the playoffs. The Deng move was supposed to help. But so far ... nothing. Chemistry is a major issue there and some of that is on Mike Brown. But more of it is on the collection of players in Cleveland at the moment. Something has to happen quick. Kyrie Irving has been telling people privately he wants out. Cleveland can't afford to lose him and LeBron. They know the urgency. I expect them to be major players at the deadline.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/49933

Here we go!
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject:

No way, and not because I don't like Irving, because I do. It would just be a total waste of resources.

Not that Marshall is as good as Irving, but people are really failing to see the good fortune that dropped in the Lakers' lap when they picked him up. You need to focus on other positions in the draft (or in trade, or in free agency) in order to build up a better team.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Irving isn't the next guy up in this discussion. The more realistic question may be would you trade a top 5 pick for Kevin Love?

The Wolves are going to miss the playoffs again this year, have no cap space and still owe a first to Phoenix (top 13 protected). That means little to no help on the way at the same time Love is on a one year contract. Plus Rubio is eligible for a contract extension this offseason and has proven he isn't worth the 'franchise' max you didn't give Love

The rumblings that LA and NY are ready to make a hard free agent push for Love in 2015 have already started. If Minny doesn't deal Love by the deadline or at the draft, next season is going to be dominated by the narrative of his upcoming free agency, especially given the interest from the two largest media markets. By this time next year, Love's pending free agency coupled with at least one of LA or NY having cap space to sign him means the Wolves will have almost no leverage. It will be too late.

As for LA, does landing Love a year earlier merit giving up a blue chipper on rookie deal? If you take a 5-year view and you're confident you can land Love in free agency, it's not such a good idea. But as they say, sometimes a bird in hand. IMO if LA lands pick 5-9, it makes sense to push for Love now. But if you get a top 3 or 4 pick in this draft, the CBA ramification of getting an All-Star level player on a rookie contract outweigh the benefit of Love a year early (and perhaps even at all).

If there was a deal to be made by this deadline, here's an outside the box idea:

LAL: Gasol, Nash, Hill, 2014 1st round pick -for- Love, Ben Gordon, 2014 1st round pick (POR via CHA)

No more shot at Embiid, Wiggins or Parker. But you get Love now and still have near max cap room. The Portland pick in this draft gives you a rotation player at around the min contract footprint. Depending on how LA wanted to use their remaining cap room, the Gordon contract could even be flipped as an expiring.

CHA: Ben Gordon, 2014 1st round pick (POR) for Hill, Budinger, Barea
Hill is from South Carolina and would give them a quality 3rd big man for a playoff push. Both Budinger and Barea are on modest, short term contracts and could really help them in scoring which is a team need.

MIN: Love, Barea, Budinger -for- 2014 1st round pick LAL, Gasol, Nash
This deal means they probably end up with two top-10 pick in a deep draft (LA's and their own) which is a hell of a way to rebuild. They could potentially hold onto Pau and re-sign Rubio at a decent number. Nash could either mentor Rubio or find his way out of town somehow.
NastyNas_87
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject:

unless its LeBron or KD, I wouldn't trade the #1 pick
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:

The guy hasn't had a healthy season since high school, there is no way I would trade the #1 pick for him.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't. If we're in the top 3, the pick is untouchable. Outside of that, I'd be willing to make a deal.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Irving isn't the next guy up in this discussion. The more realistic question may be would you trade a top 5 pick for Kevin Love?

The Wolves are going to miss the playoffs again this year, have no cap space and still owe a first to Phoenix (top 13 protected). That means little to no help on the way at the same time Love is on a one year contract. Plus Rubio is eligible for a contract extension this offseason and has proven he isn't worth the 'franchise' max you didn't give Love

The rumblings that LA and NY are ready to make a hard free agent push for Love in 2015 have already started. If Minny doesn't deal Love by the deadline or at the draft, next season is going to be dominated by the narrative of his upcoming free agency, especially given the interest from the two largest media markets. By this time next year, Love's pending free agency coupled with at least one of LA or NY having cap space to sign him means the Wolves will have almost no leverage. It will be too late.

As for LA, does landing Love a year earlier merit giving up a blue chipper on rookie deal? If you take a 5-year view and you're confident you can land Love in free agency, it's not such a good idea. But as they say, sometimes a bird in hand. IMO if LA lands pick 5-9, it makes sense to push for Love now. But if you get a top 3 or 4 pick in this draft, the CBA ramification of getting an All-Star level player on a rookie contract outweigh the benefit of Love a year early (and perhaps even at all).

If there was a deal to be made by this deadline, here's an outside the box idea:

LAL: Gasol, Nash, Hill, 2014 1st round pick -for- Love, Ben Gordon, 2014 1st round pick (POR via CHA)

No more shot at Embiid, Wiggins or Parker. But you get Love now and still have near max cap room. The Portland pick in this draft gives you a rotation player at around the min contract footprint. Depending on how LA wanted to use their remaining cap room, the Gordon contract could even be flipped as an expiring.

CHA: Ben Gordon, 2014 1st round pick (POR) for Hill, Budinger, Barea
Hill is from South Carolina and would give them a quality 3rd big man for a playoff push. Both Budinger and Barea are on modest, short term contracts and could really help them in scoring which is a team need.

MIN: Love, Barea, Budinger -for- 2014 1st round pick LAL, Gasol, Nash
This deal means they probably end up with two top-10 pick in a deep draft (LA's and their own) which is a hell of a way to rebuild. They could potentially hold onto Pau and re-sign Rubio at a decent number. Nash could either mentor Rubio or find his way out of town somehow.

you realize by NBA rules Lakers cant trade their 2014 pick and Gasol cant be traded after the season because his contract is up
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject:

It could be a S&T, but that would mean that Pau would have to willingly want to go to Minny.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
you realize by NBA rules Lakers cant trade their 2014 pick and Gasol cant be traded after the season because his contract is up

I think you possibly can you just have to receive a 2014 1st rounder or a 2015 1st rounder in return in that same trade. The rules are you have to have a 1st rounder in one of the next 2 drafts at all times.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Hell (bleep) no.

!...
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
pmacla wrote:

I think you possibly can you just have to receive a 2014 1st rounder or a 2015 1st rounder in return in that same trade. The rules are you have to have a 1st rounder in one of the next 2 drafts at all times.

Yes, receiving the 2014 Portland pick makes it legal. The pick is protected and I believe the league can disallow the deal if they feel the protection makes conference of the pick unlikely (and t/f leaving LA without a future 1st round pick for two consequitive years). But otherwise this deal should pass the Stephien rule.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject:

no
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
Trap8600
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely not.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't trade the #1 or #2 pick for Kyrie.

But if we don't have a chance to get Wiggins or Embiid then on draft night I'd trade our pick plus Marshall for Kyrie and a couple of second round picks.

If we could get Kyrie and sign Carmelo then that would be a great offseason.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, if Cleveland has the #2 pick.

Kyrie + #2 or get outta here.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:

No for any 1 thru 7

Yes for anything lower then 10th ( mostly good borderline all stars and solid role players after 10th).
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject:

As much as I like Kyrie, I don't know if he'd be worthy of trading for the 1st overall selection in this year's draft. The draft is just too deep with too much potential.

You can probably acquire another all star type PG similar to Kyrie in this draft, but when you have players like Emblid, Parker and Wiggins, those are special players who you just can't pass up.

I don't know it would be a hard call, Kyrie is a special player as well, but knowing that we have Kobe for 2/3 more years trying to win a title, I think the familiar formula works best.

Inside out with a ball dominant Kobe and a good Big down low. We've yet to see Nash and Kobe in any real significance and I doubt it would be very successful anyway. But if we could get Kyrie some other way, I say we go for it!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: