What Roster can BUss/Mitch put together to Challenge OKC next year....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L.A. Pride
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: What Roster can BUss/Mitch put together to Challenge OKC next year....

A lot of people on this board don't think we can compete for the next few years before Kobe retires. I believe that is false. If you think the Lakers gave Kobe that contract just to be a side show until he retires, that is not smart thinking. That contract was given out, with a specific plan for kobe last years, and the future.

The Miami heat I believe, will have their last run this year. I don't think they will win it. Their team will be too old next year to get to the finals. THe Spurs will compete, but their last run was last year, when they choked in game 6. OKC is the powerhouse that will emerge. Durant will get better...he will be the best in the nba, if not next year...the year after that. THey have young athletic pieces, and they have been together for years. THey will be next up. I think the Lakers can compete, and also build for the future by building a team to knock off OKC. It won't be easy, but there's plenty of options.

THe key is a great draft pick, A free agent signing, new coach, & getting a great role playing cast around Kobe, and The new free agent. Which we wil have tons of options, for cheap, short term talent. Leaving plenty of money to go after the next batch of Free agents.

I was watching a few older Miami heat vs thunder games, and I was surprised at how well Chalmers defended Westbrook. He didn't stop him, but he shot horrible percentages...made him work really hard. That's the first step, you need a point guard, who can hawk westbrook all game. Mario Chalmers would be great. THen you need somebody to make Durant actually play defense. Usually they pass the assignment of the best wing to Sefolosha. But if you have a combo of wings, where he has to defend somebody...it will wear him down during the game. Durant usually coast all game on defense, and has energy for offense. We have to make him work. I love Lance stepheson at that SF position. He is like a 6'6 Rajon Rondo. He does it all. If he gets a more consistent 3 pt. shot....he will be a problem. I had no idea he was only 23. I can see a James Harden type leap, if he was given more opportunity. Maybe not as good as Harden. But he plays much better defense than harden. Also has a brick for a frame. Strong, at 240 lbs. Can guard Sf position.

I am a big fan of getting Carmel this off season. I Love Carmelo at the 4....he is a inch shorter than David West, and thats who I think he could be like, a more explosive barkley/david west type at the 4. Plus Carmelo is not a finesse player....he can actually can bang down their a bit. He's a good rebounder....I like him over Kevin Love, which I have stated before. But... If the Lakers can get Kevin Love and Stephenson(7 million) for the price of Carmelo?....I'm going Love and Stephenson. Which it looks like the Lakers are high on Kevin Love.

Roster I vision is now shaping up.....Lets' compare it to the INdiana Pacers

Mario Chalmers(27 years old) George Hill(27 years old)
Kobe BRyant(35 years old) Lance stephenson(23 years old)
Lance Stephenson(23 years old) Paul george(23 years old)
Kevin Love(25 years old) David West(34 years old)
? Roy hibbert(27 years old)

Now comes the HUGE momentum swing. Who can be the defensive anchor for this team. I compared the Pacers...because that is the team, I personally think the Lakers should be similar too. A team not reliant on some pg driven system. Where everybody stands around as the point guard dribbles, & dribbles w/ pick n roll....but a system of multiple playmakers. If you notice....WE would have 3 playmakers in Chalmers, Bryant, & Stephenson. Even Love is improving his passing...All can handle the ball, shoot 3's, & defend(Kobe in stretches). THen you have kevin Love at the 4....to bring Ibaka out the paint. Now we can go at Perkins. If OKC goes small....then we can also use that to our advantage as well. The Draft, and the next few months will shape up everything.

THe draft pick is key. If its Embid, who I personally want...then our lineup could be:

Mario chalmers
Kobe Bryant
Lance Stephenson
Kevin Love
Joel Embiid

If its Exum. Then maybe don't go after chalmers...and you plug him into the Pg role, and take money and get a short term center.

Dante Exum
Kobe Bryant
Lance Steohenson
Kevin Love
OMar ASik, etc.

What if we can get Wiggins? THen maybe you don't pay for a lance stephenson.

Mario CHalmers
KObe Bryant
Andrew Wiggins
Kevin Love
?

So many variables. If you can trade Pau and get a pick. Them maybe you try to get Kevin Love, and Dante Exum for next year. It's so many ways you can do this....Very exciting time for Laker fans.

PLus with the new cba....role player salaries are being squeezed. Another advantage for the Lakers. Role players say to them selves...if im only going to get 2 million dollars, and bad teams aren't over paying...then I might as well go to the lakers. Trust me....we will have a great bench next year.

Now comes the coaching part. If we got Joel Embiid. What better coach to teach him...than the coach who in my opinion made Dwight Howard....Stan Van gundy. Imagine him, coaching up Embid. Embid is taller than dwight, great frame. I worry about his knees a bit, but he already has a great form on his shot. For the next few years....all he has to do, is defend, rebound, and finish plays. Maybe get in the post a little bit. GIves him a few years to get adjusted to the nba. Now 2 years later, Kobe retires...and know you have Westbrook, and Durant to go with Kevin Love. along with the other pieces.

I think we can compete next year. THe powerhouses will be broken up a bit, and OKC will stand in the front. Our next team needs to be able to give them problems. We need Athletes all up and down the roster. We need to be able to exploit their weaknesses.

If you ask me, can we win a championship in Kobes last year. I'll be honest, I don't think so. But if have a chance, we need to kind of be like the Dallas Mavericks in 2011. A cast that helps all of Kobe's weaknesses. But just competing, and being in the conversation, will be better than this year.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Ideally, Okafor could be a defensive center. But he would need to be healthy.

Other defensive options are:

Tyson Chandler (old), Larry Sanders, Gorgui Dieng (rookie)

But all of them are under contract and would have to be acquired by trade.

But Stan van gundy as coach? Really?
L.A. Pride
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle...I didn't think of Okafor....He could be great...but man if we could get Embiid....That would be great. It wouldn't be any pressure for him to perform right away. He would be with a great organization, and allowed to grow year by year. Also some decent bigs we could get for the veteran minimum next year also....

But don't sleep on Stan van gundy... Rick Carlisle is who I think would be great for the Lakers. But Other than Phil jackson, Greg Popavich, or Doc RIvers....Stan Van gundy is under-rated man. I know he looks like ROn jeremy, and you see him screaming on the side-line, but he can coach. He also coaches both sides of the floor. If you think about it, he really made Howard look better than he was. Shaq stated something similiar on tv....

You don't want MDA coaching Embiid, if we are lucky to get him. I know we'll need some big losses to get him....but should be a fun summer.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject:

How would we get Love before next year?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

There are a lot of ways to go about this. But at the center of it all, is the assumption that Kobe will be a top 7 player going into 35-36 years of age (plus injury, mileage, etc.).

That's too much of an assumption for me. It'll be tough because we'll need a reliable scorer (Melo, Love) but we'll also have major defensive worries as well.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Put down the pipe. We won't be challenging OKC anytime soon. Perhaps after Kobe retires and it frees up salary.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Kobe
Lebron
Draft pick
Pray
Pray
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
There are a lot of ways to go about this. But at the center of it all, is the assumption that Kobe will be a top 7 player going into 35-36 years of age (plus injury, mileage, etc.).

That's too much of an assumption for me. It'll be tough because we'll need a reliable scorer (Melo, Love) but we'll also have major defensive worries as well.

I think Kobe could settle into a nice post role, the kind of guy who does a bit of 1/3 P&R, high post (where he can back in if he wants or face up), horns action, and a bit of wing ISO that he can turn into a post opportunity. If he can do that, his touch, footwork, and all around skill set make him deadly even if he isn't terribly explosive or spry.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Chalmers
Kobe
Wes
Melo
Embiid

Most important thing is the coach. That should be a strong defensive team with the right coach. Balanced offense/defense.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Kobe
Lebron
Draft pick
Pray
Pray

divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject:

I think your hypothetical rosters are realistic, but I still don't think any of those rosters compete with OKC.

The rapid decline of Kobe will coincide with the (hopeful) development of our draft pick ... which means we'll never have the both of them in their prime together ... which is what you need to win big (a one two punch).

The only theoretical one-two punch I can envision is Love + Draft pick, which is a highly unstable and theoretical proposition at best.

Love + #5 draft pick will be our core most likely ... that's not enough to get by a team with Durant and Westbrook in the core years of their prime along with all the rest that team has.

If something else was to happen in addition to Love + Draft pick, potentially we could compete ... still not enough to get past OKC with just that imo.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject:

The only way the Lakers could really do it is by getting Lebronze... getting Boozer amnestied on the cheap. Then get Meka on the cheap post injury. Sign probably Bynum as well on the cheap.

Seeing Nash seems to be entirely against retiring... Have someone like Sessions signed for when he breaks down.... Farmar would probably want to stay...

So
Nash/Sessions/Farmar
Kobe/Nick Young
Lebron/Draft Pick
Boozer/Draft pick
Bynum/Meka

That's probably about the best the Lakers could hope for next off season.

But lets be honest... No Lebronze... no chance.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
L.A. Pride
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Divncom....I agree that we still might not be able to compete with Okc. Other than all the other mysteries surrounding this summer, we still don't know how Kobe will look. I will admit the sample size this year, was much too small....We might not be able to hang with Okc, but as long as we can field a decent team for the last two years of Kobe, and also march forward with a rebuild...I think it's a win-win. Being a Laker fan, you get spoiled...but championships don't come easy, and it usually involves having the best player in the nba....in which kobe's obviously past his prime, and now it lebron, with Durant taking the crown soon.

But I think the lakers have a interesting situation, in which they can stagger contracts, and compete with a decent team...and also free up money to prepare themselves for the future.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Embiid
Hill
Lebron
Kobe
Nash

Healthy of course. I think Kobe comes back healthy. Nash, if he isnt, you can have lebron run point at any time and have the PG be a shooter, like chalmers.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Embiid
Lebron
Stevenson
Kobe
Lawry
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Kobe
Lebron
Draft pick
Pray
Pray

hahahahaha, the answer to the Op's question is; none...

The lakers will not contend for now. Kobe will play out his last 2.5 seasons and then we'll see...
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Uh,the Lakers wont be good again untill 2015-2016. I don't see the Lakers competing at all next season.
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

i don't know how you guys think we will have any shot at embiid, we are not bad enough to get the 1st overall pick, its a moot point
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject:

There is no way we are competing with OKC next year unless both Durant and Westbrook go down with season ending injuries...
L.A. Pride
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Lebron James isn't coming. When the Lakers gave Kobe 24 million dollars...That should have let you know, they had no shot at Lebron. Now even though I think the Heat will be on their last run...Why would Lebron leave the Eastern conference, and a organization head up by Pat Riley for the lakers? So he has to get by okc every year just to get to the finals? At least you have Chris bosh in his prime in miami....I don't see it happening. Kobe and Lebron's brands are too big to mix. Lebron wants to be seen bigger than Kobe...Lebron is gunning for Jordan status. It won't happen.

I'll be honest....I don't even think the Lakers have a shot at Kevin Durant either. You also better hope he doesn't win a title this year or next....Because he can be seen as a God in okc if he gets them to a title. So to me Durant is pipe too.

WEstbrook is another story. I think he would welcome coming to the lakers...but that's in 2017....which in basketball years...is a eternity.

I just think the Lakers need to have a look at stephenson...and great role players along with hitting a home run in the draft this year. It's not a sure thing that we get these big name free agents in the next few years.

But I think the lakers have a great opportunity to at least get a team that garners some excitement again.

I'll be honest...when dwight/nash got here last year....I still didn't think they could win it, but at least we were in the conversation.

I think with the right moves....We could at least we in the conversation of the Top 4 oe 5 teams in the west. That would be a win in my book.
L.A. Pride
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Lebron James isn't coming. When the Lakers gave Kobe 24 million dollars...That should have let you know, they had no shot at Lebron. Now even though I think the Heat will be on their last run...Why would Lebron leave the Eastern conference, and a organization head up by Pat Riley for the lakers? So he has to get by okc every year just to get to the finals? At least you have Chris bosh in his prime in miami....I don't see it happening. Kobe and Lebron's brands are too big to mix. Lebron wants to be seen bigger than Kobe...Lebron is gunning for Jordan status. It won't happen.

I'll be honest....I don't even think the Lakers have a shot at Kevin Durant either. You also better hope he doesn't win a title this year or next....Because he can be seen as a God in okc if he gets them to a title. So to me Durant is pipe too.

WEstbrook is another story. I think he would welcome coming to the lakers...but that's in 2017....which in basketball years...is a eternity.

I just think the Lakers need to have a look at stephenson...and great role players along with hitting a home run in the draft this year. It's not a sure thing that we get these big name free agents in the next few years.

But I think the lakers have a great opportunity to at least get a team that garners some excitement again.

I'll be honest...when dwight/nash got here last year....I still didn't think they could win it, but at least we were in the conversation.

I think with the right moves....We could at least we in the conversation of the Top 4 oe 5 teams in the west. That would be a win in my book.
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

L.A. Pride wrote:

But wasn't Shaq a pipe dream also?
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Look, I would very happy if Lebron James came to the Lakers...But if you step back, and ask yourself the benefit of Lebron coming to the Lakers for LEBRON....You'll see if doesn't make since. If Kobe is 28 to 30 in his prime....like Dwayne wade was...maybe. But it just doesn't make any since for Lebron to come to the Lakers.

I guess we have to wait and see....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think Kobe could settle into a nice post role, the kind of guy who does a bit of 1/3 P&R, high post (where he can back in if he wants or face up), horns action, and a bit of wing ISO that he can turn into a post opportunity. If he can do that, his touch, footwork, and all around skill set make him deadly even if he isn't terribly explosive or spry.

At this point it's not about skills. Kobe's probably the most or one of the most skilled all time. It's durability and how reliable his body will be for a long playoff run.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

At this point it's not about skills. Kobe's probably the most or one of the most skilled all time. It's durability and how reliable his body will be for a long playoff run.

Yeah, that's fair, but he may have a run in him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: