Lakers in the News 2/9/14: Lakers lose Steve Nash to injury, game to Bulls, 92-86

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 2/9/14: Lakers lose Steve Nash to injury, game to Bulls, 92-86

Quote:
Preview: Lakers vs. Chicago Bulls

By Eric Pincus
February 9, 2014, 7:00 a.m.

The Lakers (18-32) have won two straight games, finishing their three-game road trip on a high note.

On Sunday, they'll play a more challenging team than the Cleveland Cavaliers (17-33) or Philadelphia 76ers (15-36), hosting the Chicago Bulls (24-25) at Staples Center.

The Bulls have climbed into the top eight in the Eastern Conference despite losing Derrick Rose to a knee injury and Luol Deng in a money-saving trade to the Cavaliers.

Even when the Bulls are short-handed, they still play well as a unit defensively.

The Lakers aren't known for defense this season, but the team has improved since getting Steve Nash and Steve Blake back from injury.

Of course, the Lakers will still be without Kobe Bryant (knee), Pau Gasol (groin), Jordan Farmar (hamstring), Nick Young (knee), Jodie Meeks (ankle) and Xavier Henry (knee).

The status of Chicago's Carlos Boozer's isn't clear. He may sit out with a calf strain.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-preview-lakers-vs-chicago-bulls-20140209,0,5177165.story#ixzz2sqOLl8y7

Last edited by Cha*n on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Bulls conclude western jaunt against Lakers

Published February 09, 2014Sports Network
(SportsNetwork.com) - The Chicago Bulls will put the finishing touches on their six-game western road trip Sunday against the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Bulls are 2-3 on the junket and dropped a 102-87 decision to Steph Curry and the Golden State Warriors on Thursday. Curry carried the Warriors with 34 points on 13-of-19 shooting and added nine assists.

Taj Gibson filled in for an injured Carlos Boozer (calf) to lead the Bulls with 26 points and also grabbed 13 rebounds. Kirk Hinrich and Jimmy Butler scored 15 and 14 points, respectively, for Chicago, losers in three of the last four games and owners of an 11-15 road ledger.

"I thought it was a winnable game down the stretch and we didn't get it done," Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau said.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/02/09/bulls-conclude-western-jaunt-against-lakers/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
BULLS-LAKERS PREVIEW
By Jeff Mezydlo | February 08, 2014

Any momentum the Los Angeles Lakers gained during a successful road trip can now be used to help end their struggles at home.

The Lakers can match a season-high three-game winning streak by avoiding a fifth consecutive home defeat Sunday against the Chicago Bulls.

Los Angeles (18-32) snapped a season-high seven-game skid with a 119-108 win at Cleveland on Wednesday and followed with Friday's 112-98 victory at Philadelphia to conclude a 2-1 trip.

"It feels great to get two wins in a row," said veteran Chris Kaman, who had 17 points, eight rebounds, three assists and three blocks Friday.

Though the Lakers have won five times in 24 contests, they've shot 51.8 percent in the last two and Friday snapped a 16-game stretch of yielding 100 points or more. They allowed an average of 112.5 during that span.

In his eighth game this season, Steve Nash scored 19 points on 8-of-15 shooting on his 40th birthday Friday.

"I thought I could play well, I could contribute," said Nash, who has played two of the last three since missing 39 straight games with back problems.

"At this point, I don't take anything for granted. It's a grind for me to get ready to play every day. I'm just thrilled I can move out there without restriction and help my team."

Assuming he's healthy to play consecutive games for the first time since early November, Nash will try to help the Lakers avoid their first five-game home skid since 2006-07.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/gameday/140209_gameday_bulls
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Nash still touting how good he feels
February, 9, 2014
FEB 9
12:55
AM PT
By Ramona Shelburne
ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Steve Nash said Saturday he felt as good physically as he has in two seasons. That would be the two seasons he has spent in Los Angeles, since coming over as a free agent in the summer of 2012.

"There were times last year where I think I started to play pretty well," Nash said. "But as far as moving, this is about as good as I've felt since I broke my leg [in the second game of the 2012-13 season]."

Nash returned to the Los Angeles Lakers last week and has averaged 13 points and seven assists in the two games he played, including a game-high 19 points against the Philadelphia 76ers on his 40th birthday on Friday.

Nash said he was "a little stiff" Saturday after a six-hour flight home from the East Coast late Friday night, but expected to be ready for the Lakers game Sunday afternoon against the Chicago Bulls.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/38831/nash-still-touting-how-good-he-feels?ex_cid=espnapi_public
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA Trade Rumors: Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns talking Pau Gasol trade again
2 0 PLUS FANCRED 0
BY JOSH HILL - FEB 9TH, 2014 AT 11:22 AM

The Los Angeles Lakers and Phoenix Suns made waves in trade rumor circles this past week when it was confirmed that the two sides had begun talking about a possible Pau Gasol trade. The Suns have made it no secret that they have assets to trade and the Lakers have been trying to trade Gasol for years it seems.

In typical Pau Gasol trade talk fashion though, things broke down in the middle of the week and the two sides shelved talks thanks to Gasol’s groin injury. But with the deadline approaching rapidly, the two sides are expected to pick up talks again and Mitch Lawrence of The New York Daily News expects the talks to heat up significantly in the next few weeks.

The Lakers were open to trading Pau Gasol until they couldn’t pry one of Phoenix’s top draft picks for this June away from the Suns. Phoenix could be getting No. 1 picks from Minnesota and Washington, and the Lakers are seeking one of those prime assets. Even as Gasol misses the next 10 days or so with a groin injury, the two teams are expected to resume talks.

http://fansided.com/2014/02/09/nba-trade-rumors-los-angeles-lakers-phoenix-suns-talking-pau-gasol-trade/#!uYE5U
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers lose Steve Nash to injury, game to Bulls, 92-86

Lakers forward Ryan Kelly strips the ball from Bulls forward Taj Gibson in the first quarter Sunday at Staples Center. (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times / March 7, 2009)

By Mike Bresnahan
February 9, 2014, 3:00 p.m.

The Lakers lost point Steve Nash to a leg injury and then a game to the Chicago Bulls, 92-86.

Nash left after sustaining nerve damage near his left knee, apparently in a collision, with five minutes left in the third quarter Sunday at Staples Center. He had eight points and two assists in 21 minutes as the Lakers' two-game winning streak came to an abrupt end.

Nash was playing in only his third game since returning from almost three months of inaction because of nerve damage in his back.

He played well last Friday against Philadelphia, accruing 19 points and five assists the same day he turned 40.

Center Chris Kaman had 27 points and 10 rebounds for the Lakers, who fell to 18-33 after never leading Sunday's game. It was Kaman's best game with the Lakers. He made 13 of 23 shots and had two blocked shots.

Lakers reserve point guard Kendall Marshall had 13 points and 11 assists, jumping back into a prominent role after Nash's departure.

Center Joakim Noah had 18 points and 13 rebounds for Chicago (25-25), which finished 3-3 on a six-game road trip.

Bulls 52, Lakers 46 (halftime)

The Lakers and Chicago Bulls can't have any in-game injuries. Or anybody fouling out.

Both teams dressed only nine players because of injuries, and the Lakers trailed at halftime, 52-46, Sunday at Staples Center.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-vs-bulls-game-updates-20140209,0,3225012.story#ixzz2stC38pxs
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Nash injury update: Lakers’ star has nerve root issue
0 0 PLUS FANCRED 0
BY ANDREW MELNICK - FEB 9TH, 2014 AT 10:44 PM

During the Los Angeles Lakers 92-86 to the Chicago Bulls, point guard Steve Nash was hit in the left leg while driving to the lane. He left the game and did not return (You can see a GIF and video of his injury here).

After the game, Trevor Wong of Lakers.com gave an update on Nash, who scored eight points, dished out two assists and grabbed two rebounds in 21 minutes before leaving the game.

“That nerve flared up and I started to compensate,” Nash said. “I wasn’t going to be very effective and I wasn’t going to risk going back on all that work I’ve done to get back on the court.”

The injury is the same that helped cause Nash to miss 30 games earlier in the season.

However, the Lakers do not think the injury is severe and don’t expect to miss any time.

“I think he’ll be OK on Tuesday,” Lakers’ head coach Mike D’Antoni said. “We’ll see. Just a freak bump of knees and his back started tightening up a little bit.”

http://fansided.com/2014/02/09/steve-nash-injury-update-lakers-star-nerve-root-issue/#!u31NA
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' Chris Kaman shows what he can do on the offensive end
A frequent advocate for more playing time, Kaman has 27 points and 10 rebounds in almost 28 minutes of the Lakers' loss to Chicago.

Lakers-Bulls highlights.

By Mike Bresnahan
February 9, 2014, 6:56 p.m.

Chris Kaman finally had the game he envisioned when he signed with the Lakers last July.

An advocate on numerous occasions for more playing time, Kaman had 27 points and 10 rebounds in almost 28 minutes of the Lakers' 92-86 loss Sunday to the Chicago Bulls.

He was strong down low, hit some mid-range shots and had his best game on offense in almost two years.

His minutes, though, will decrease again when Pau Gasol returns from a strained groin after the All-Star break, assuming Gasol isn't traded before the Feb. 20 deadline.

"The structure of the team when Pau comes back, it's tough," Coach Mike D'Antoni said before smiling at reporters. "Get ready to write a nice article and kill me. Whatever you want to do."

It's been a consistent question from Lakers fans. Why pay Kaman $3.2 million this season and bury him in the rotation most nights?

"The season has been a frustrating year for me personally," Kaman said. "As a team, I think guys are frustrated as well. It's been so up and down and so inconsistent. Part of that is having injuries and then a part of that is a lot of guys are on one-year deals, not knowing what they want to do, not knowing where they're supposed to be.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20140210,0,5030258.story#ixzz2stETVWyw
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Gibson, Noah lead Bulls to 92-86 win over Lakers

The Associated Press
Los Angeles Lakers' Steve Nash, left, shoots over Chicago Bulls' Kirk Hinrich during the first half of an NBA basketball game in Los Angeles, Sunday, Feb. 9, 2014. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)
By JOE RESNICK / Associated Press / February 9, 2014

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Joakim Noah played the final 6:53 with five fouls. Chicago coach Tom Thibodeau didn’t want to take him out with the Bulls’ double-digit lead slipping away, and that’s just the way the All-Star center wanted it.

Noah finished with 18 points and 13 rebounds, and the Bulls held off the stubborn Los Angeles Lakers 92-86 on Sunday after nearly blowing a 19-point advantage. After picking up his last foul, Noah made a key block against 7-footer Chris Kaman and got a dunk at the other end — all in a 16-second span.

‘‘It was too tight. Either we were going to win it with him, or that was going to be it,’’ Thibodeau said. ‘‘At that point, I didn’t think we could afford two or three minutes (with Noah on the bench), so we rolled the dice and were fortunate. We’re a little short-handed right now — and the way they spread you out on the perimeter, you need guys that can cover ground.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/2014/02/09/gibson-noah-lead-bulls-win-over-lakers/7IlySW8786ETSJrPvdcOIN/story.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers lose, Steve Nash hurt . . . in other words, just another day
Lakers' seemingly cursed season continues with a 92-86 loss to Chicago in which Steve Nash suffers yet another injury, to his knee.

Lakers-Bulls highlights.

By Mike Bresnahan
February 9, 2014, 6:03 p.m.

Of course it had to happen like this.

Steve Nash. Freak injury. Leaving a game in the third quarter.

The latest piece of an incomprehensible Lakers puzzle was tossed off the table Sunday when Nash exited early in a 92-86 loss to the Chicago Bulls.

BOX SCORE: Bulls 92, Lakers 86

Nash experienced nerve irritation in his left knee, the same place where he sustained a fracture last season. He later said the nerve was "on fire" when he was kneed by Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich, but he stayed in the game for about four minutes.

Nash left for good with five minutes to go in the third quarter at Staples Center.

"I don't think it's going to be a long-term thing at all," Nash said after his third game back from almost three months of inactivity because of back pain. "It wasn't like I broke it again. I just kind of irritated the nerve. . . . I think it's kind of transient and hopefully I'll wake up [Monday] and feel better."

Nash initially hurt his left knee in October 2012 when he collided with Portland guard Damian Lillard. It was a bizarre injury that included nerve damage in addition to the fracture and ultimately cost Nash 24 games last season.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-bulls-20140210,0,5871894.story#ixzz2stFYjqEM
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Pretty soon, Steve Nash will start getting injured if he's breathed on too hard.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: