Lakers in the News 2/10/14 & 2/11/14: Lakers take another step towards the lottery in loss to Utah Jazz, 96-79

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 2/10/14 & 2/11/14: Lakers take another step towards the lottery in loss to Utah Jazz, 96-79

Quote:
Kobe Bryant adamant about return to Lakers this season, not sure when
By Zach Harper | NBA writer
February 10, 2014 12:43 pm ET

Kobe Bryant won't entertain the thought of not returning this season. (USATSI)
You're not going to be able to keep Kobe Bryant out of a Los Angeles Lakers uniform and that's not just because of the contract extension he received earlier this season. Bryant has been sidelined with a fracture of the lateral tibial plateau since December 17, and with the Lakers struggling to be competitive most nights, there are thoughts that he should sit out the rest of the season and be ready for next season.

That's not on Bryant's agenda. The Lakers' superstar remains adamant that he'll return to the team this season because it's his job. He's still focused on healing and doing the rehab work to try to get better and back on the court. However, he doesn't quite know when that will be because he has to wait for everything to heal and strengthen. From ESPN Los Angeles:

"My plan hasn't changed," Bryant said Sunday at an event to promote his newest signature sneaker, the Nike Kobe 9 Elite Masterpiece. "I'm just going about it every single day just trying to get better. That's my job. My job is to get my butt back out there on the court when I'm healthy enough to play and that hasn't changed."

The 18-year veteran is scheduled to be re-evaluated after the All-Star Game next week, but wouldn't venture a guess as to when he could actually return to game action.

"That I don't know," Bryant said. "It's completely out of my control. I really got to sit here and just wait until this thing heals up and then go out there and do what I do."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24438650/kobe-bryant-adamant-about-return-to-lakers-this-season-not-sure-when

Last edited by Cha*n on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 pm; edited 7 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers bumped from national TV yet again

The Lakers won't be represented on the court during the Feb. 16 All-Star game in New Orleans thanks to a knee injury that will keep Kobe Bryant, left (with Pau Gasl) out of the game. (Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles Times / January 5, 2014)
By Eric Pincus
February 10, 2014, 11:52 a.m.

With Kobe Bryant off the court with a knee injury, the Lakers aren't quite the national draw they typically have been the last 17 years.

ESPN announced on Monday that they're pulling the Feb. 23 Brooklyn Nets visit to the Lakers from their schedule, opting instead to show the Houston Rockets play the Suns in Phoenix.

The Lakers recently saw their Jan. 20 visit to the Chicago Bulls bumped from the national TNT broadcast. The team's Jan. 8 visit to the Houston Rockets was also pulled from ESPN.

Bryant, in his 18th year, has played in just six games this season after recovering from an Achilles injury. His comeback was brief after a fall resulted in a fracture of the lateral tibial plateau in his left knee.

Bryant will be re-evaluated after this weekend's All-Star break.

Without their star, along with a lengthy list of injuries across the roster, the Lakers are just 18-33 with 31 games left to play.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-nationally-televised-game-bumped-20140210,0,7188953.story#ixzz2sxcj3xjD
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers: A “Nashty” return

February 10, 2014 by Landon Small

What words come to mind when you think of the Los Angeles Lakers this season? I would have to include: sad, resourceful, injured, old, or any of the like. They’re hard to watch, but the hardest part is that you have no idea which team you’re going to see. Not one Laker has played in every single game this season, so I guess we could add “changing” to that running list.

One positive change that the Lakers did see last week was the return of Steve Nash, who has only been a part of nine games this season. Since his return, he’s played in three games for an average of 25 minutes, scoring eleven and dishing five apiece, but if you have to ask, the answer is no, they still aren’t winning, but it does give them some hope. Most would expect the word “hope” to come with some wins, but from their perspective, it may not have to.

It isn’t healthy for a team to continually shuffle players in and out. When members of a squad are repeatedly being shipped in and out of the locker room from the d-league or free agency pool, there’s no knowing who will be starting the following day. Fans stop coming because apart from their team not winning, they aren’t even able to watch a consistent five take the floor. The players stop believing in their coach because it can be perceived of a lack of trust in his part, and that can single-handedly destroy a franchise.

Take a look at the Knicks for example. Today’s headline story on Bleacher Report reads:

http://isportsweb.com/2014/02/10/los-angeles-lakers-nashty-return/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe Bryant: (Knee) Examination After Break
Posted on February 10, 2014 at 1:57 PM

NEWS UPDATE
Bryant (knee) will be evaluated following the All-Star break, the Los Angeles Daily News reports.

http://news.rotowire.com/Kobe-Bryant-googid193073-spnba.htm
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jazz-Lakers Preview
By NOEY KUPCHAN (STATS Writer)
40 minutes ago
AP - Sports

The injury-plagued Los Angeles Lakers are on the verge of matching the longest home losing streak in club history.

They'll get to face last-place Utah as they try to avoid that dubious feat, though the Jazz just beat the two-time defending NBA champs.

The Lakers look to avert a sixth consecutive home loss Tuesday night when they face the Jazz, losers in 20 of the last 25 road games in the series.

After posting back-to-back road wins over Cleveland and Philadelphia, the Lakers (18-33) opened a six-game homestand with Sunday's 92-86 loss to Chicago.

Los Angeles has given up an average of 112.6 points during its five-game skid at Staples Center. The Lakers haven't dropped six in a row on their own court since March 7-26, 1993, their longest single-season slide since the team moved to Los Angeles in 1960.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jazz-lakers-preview-214230141--nba.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
L.A. Lakers Rumors: Steve Nash Re-Injures Leg, Kobe Bryant ‘Hasn’t Changed Plan’ To Return This Season

By Jordan Webb j.webb _at_ hngn.com | Feb 10, 2014 03:26 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash (R) re-aggravated his left leg injury during Sunday's loss to Chicago. (Photo : Reuters)
Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash re-injured his left leg on Sunday against the Chicago Bulls. Despite the Lakers appearing destined for the NBA draft lottery, Kobe Bryant is adamant about returning to play this season.

Nash exited the game on Sunday as a precaution after experiencing nerve irritation in his left leg, according to ESPN. The irritation flared up when Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich inadvertently made contact with Nash's left leg in the third quarter of Los Angeles' 92-86 loss.

"I just took a knee to the spot where I broke my leg," Nash said after the game, via ESPN. "Ever since I did that I've had a lot of nerve issues there and it just really flared up on me. I don't think it's going to be a long-term thing at all. Hopefully it's something that can just settle down this week, hopefully by Tuesday."

http://www.hngn.com/articles/24108/20140210/la-lakers-rumors-steve-nash-injures-leg-kobe-bryant-return.htm
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Not surprising that those are Kobe's sentiments. We'll see if Vitti feels the same way.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Nash expects to play vs. Jazz
February 11, 2014
DAVE MCMENAMIN via ESPN

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash participated in limited drills during practice Monday and expects to play Tuesday when the Lakers host the Utah Jazz.

Nash exited the Lakers' 92-86 loss to the Chicago Bulls on Sunday with 5:00 remaining in the third quarter and did not return because of nerve irritation in his left leg and tightness in his back stemming from contact with Chicago's Kirk Hinrich.

"It's a little irritated, the nerve, but I'm hoping I can be better tomorrow and can play," said Nash, who is averaging 11.3 points and 5.3 assists in 24.7 minutes over three games since returning from nerve root irritation in his back and hamstrings that sidelined him for nearly three months.
Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said it was encouraging that the 40-year-old Nash could recover so quickly after experiencing nerve discomfort after he was hit in almost the exact same spot in his left leg where he suffered a fracture last season.

"You know that he's going to go through things like that, until he gets his footing, until he can play regular minutes and get his body right," D'Antoni said. "But it's good that he can bounce back."

Nash admitted that he does not expect to go injury free for the rest of the season, but he can learn to navigate the setbacks.

"I would say it's probably going to flare up from time to time," Nash said. "I don't know if I'll ever [get over it]. I'll probably deal with this for the rest of my life in some way."

How much longer will Nash spend playing in the NBA? The 18-year veteran is set to make $9.7 million in his final year of his contract with the Lakers next season. However, the team can waive Nash via the stretch provision and only owe about $3.2 million a year for the next three years against the salary cap.

"Not yet," Nash said when asked if he has thought about retirement. "We'll see. But I still enjoy being back there on the court so much that this [nerve irritation] is nothing compared to that feeling of being one of the guys and being on the team and trying to win games. So, it's still well worth it to me."

D'Antoni said he has not broached the subject with his point guard that he first started coaching a decade ago in Phoenix.

"I think it's too early for him," D'Antoni said. "He'll have to decide that. He'll feel it in his heart and his head and I'm sure he's getting good advice. Right now we're just trying to get to the next game and play well."

Added Nash: "Just work as hard as I can every day to perform and just going every day until I'm not playing anymore. Right now, I have no intentions to stop playing."

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/steve-nash-expects-play-jazz/story?id=22452382
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Not surprising that those are Kobe's sentiments. We'll see if Vitti feels the same way.

Yea, Kobe's always been a warrior and I hope he comes back when he's really ready.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' Steve Nash plans to play Tuesday against Utah
The point guard left Sunday's game against Chicago because of nerve irritation in his left knee and subsequent back pain.

Veteran point guards Steve Blake (5) and Steve Nash (10) have battled through injuries to try to play this season. Says the 40-year-old Nash: "Right now I have no intentions to stop playing." (Christian Petersen / Getty Images / March 18, 2013)

Up next for the Lakers: Tuesday vs. Utah

Lakers lose, Steve Nash hurt . . . in other words, just another day

Lakers' Chris Kaman shows what he can do on the offensive end

By Mike Bresnahan
February 10, 2014, 6:53 p.m.
There was some positive injury news Monday for the Lakers, which led to one immediate reaction.

Couldn't be true.

But Steve Nash said he would play Tuesday against Utah after leaving Sunday's game because of nerve irritation in his left knee and subsequent back pain from limping too heavily.

Nash, who turned 40 on Friday, also said he had not considered retirement despite his latest injury.

"Right now I have no intentions to stop playing," Nash said.

Assuming he plays one more game, his $9.7-million salary next season would not come off the Lakers' books after this season if he was forced into medical retirement because of persistent back pain.

Until last week, Nash had played only six games this season because of nerve damage in his back.

Nash exited Sunday's game after banging knees with Chicago guard Kirk Hinrich while driving to the basket in the third quarter of the Lakers' 92-86 loss to the Bulls. He originally injured the knee in October 2010 after a collision with Portland's Damian Lillard, which caused a fracture at the time and, later, nerve damage in Nash's knee.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20140211,0,5095795.story#ixzz2syv4OF35
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Report: Nash may retire after this season
By The Sports Xchange
5 hours ago

Nash has another year remaining on his contract that would pay him $9.7 million next season.
On Tuesday, Nash suggested he is not ready to retire.
"Right now I have no intentions to stop playing," he said, according to Lakers.com.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-nash-may-retire-season-211421134--nba.html
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject:

So much for cap relief
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Utah Jazz expect to face Lakers’ Steve Nash tonight
By Aaron Falk | The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published 10 minutes ago • Updated 10 minutes ago
Los Angeles • Pain is something NBA players have to deal with.

Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke has been dealing with a sore back — something that he first noticed after Saturday’s win over Miami. But the rookie is expected to play tonight against the Lakers.

Tuesday, 8:30 p.m.

TV: ROOT Sports

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment
"He looked pretty good" during shootaround, Jazz coach Ty Corbin said Tuesday morning. "Everybody’s a little sore with something this time of year."

Few teams are more familiar with that than the Lakers.

With the All-Star break approaching, L.A.’s roster has already combined to miss 176 games due to injury.

Kobe Bryant (13.8 points per game), Pau Gasol (17), Nick Young (16.9), Jodie Meeks (14.4) and Xavier Henry (10.1) are five of the team’s top six scorers. All of them will be sidelined tonight due to one injury or another.

The Lakers have seen a little bit of good news come out of their camp recently. Point guard Steve Nash is expected to suit up against the Jazz tonight, despite a nerve irritation that has lingered since fracturing his leg last season.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/57530139-87/jazz-lakers-nash-tonight.html.csp
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers hope to rebound at home vs. Jazz

FEBRUARY 11, 2014, AT 10:33 AM ET

(SportsNetwork.com) - The Los Angeles Lakers had a small winning streak snuffed out their last time on the floor, but they'll try to start a new one Tuesday night when they welcome the Utah Jazz to Staples Center.

The Lakers had won two in a row until a 92-86 setback Sunday night against the Chicago Bulls.

Chris Kaman had a season-high 27 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks for the Lakers, who have lost five in a row at home. Jordan Hill and Kendall Marshall donated 15 and 13 points, respectively.

Los Angeles guard Steve Nash, playing his third game after missing 39 because of a nerve problem in his back, played just over 21 minutes before leaving in the third quarter because of irritation in his left leg.

The two-time former MVP expects to play on Tuesday against the Jazz.

"I wasn't that scared initially because it was such an innocuous play," Nash said after practice Monday. "It didn't really hurt that much on the contact. When I tried to push off, I felt the nerve really light up. Kind of frustrating more than anything. It's something that we can, I hope, get under control quickly here because it doesn't feel like something that's too serious.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lakers+hope+rebound+home+Jazz/9494323/story.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Utah Jazz: Lakers don’t get sympathy from Jazz
NBA » Once-mighty Los Angeles has 18-33 record as Utah visits.
By Aaron Falk | The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Feb 10 2014 11:11 pm • Updated 7 hours ago
Los Angeles • This year for the first time, the banners, Staples Center’s golden sentinels, have been covered up during Clipper games, replaced by larger-than-life portraits of Blake Griffin, Chris Paul and the city’s up-and-coming basketball stars.

In October, back when hopes were high that Kobe Bryant would triumphantly return from injury, joining Steve Nash and Pau Gasol in another playoff push, the decision to cover them — 16 championship banners and the jerseys of nine Laker Hall of Famers — was seen as an affront.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/57525775-87/lakers-jazz-games-injury.html.csp
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Marshall's new long-range plan
February, 10, 2014
FEB 10
4:46
PM PT
By Dave McMenamin

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Kendall Marshall has turned the one supposed weakness in his game into a strength that is on par with any other player in the league.

Marshall has hit 44-for-89 3s in 23 games with the Los Angeles Lakers since being called up from the D-League earlier this season. He has been particularly hot as of late, shooting 9-for-12 in his past four games since assuming a reserve role after Steve Nash, Steve Blake and Jordan Farmar returned to the lineup.

"It's unbelievable, isn't it?" Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said after practice, marveling at Marshall's accuracy. "Kendall is shooting the ball extremely well. He's playing well."

Marshall said that having a reputation as a sharpshooter actually is a return to his roots. Before he was known as a pass-first point guard, he was an outside gunner in high school.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/38851/marshalls-outside-shooting-keeping-him-inside-the-rotation
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Chris Kaman to start for Lakers against Jazz

Chris Kaman takes on Chicago's Joakim Noah during the Lakers' 92-86 loss to the Bulls. (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times / February 9, 2014)
By Mike Bresnahan
February 11, 2014, 12:58 p.m.

Chris Kaman supporters finally are getting their wish.

He will start at center for the Lakers on Tuesday against Utah.

He complained about playing time on a few occasions this season and was backed by a surprisingly vocal group of Lakers fans taking to email and Twitter.

Kaman had 27 points Sunday against Chicago, setting the stage for the inevitable.

"Chris has been playing well," Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni said. "Offensively, we've struggled a little bit to start the game, so he'll help there."

Kaman takes the place of defense-minded Robert Sacre.

Power forward Shawne Williams also moves to the starting lineup a few days after being signed to a 10-day contract. Ryan Kelly will go back to reserve status.

Steve Nash said he would play Tuesday despite leaving Sunday's game with nerve irritation in his left knee. Nash's back also tightened up on him in that game, a 92-86 Lakers loss to the Chicago Bulls at Staples Center

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-chris-kaman-20140211,0,5925926.story#ixzz2t3epalb8
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Nash on considering retirement: 'Not yet'
By Royce Young | NBA writer
February 11, 2014 2:37 pm ET

Steve Nash says he hasn't thought about retirement. (USATSI)
With Steve Nash recently turning 40, and battling injuries while playing for a mostly hopeless team this season, the natural assumption is that he'll finally consider hanging up the sneakers.

But he says he hasn't thought about it yet.

"Not yet," Nash said via ESPNLA when asked if he has thought about retirement. "We'll see. But I still enjoy being back there on the court so much that this [nerve irritation] is nothing compared to that feeling of being one of the guys and being on the team and trying to win games. So, it's still well worth it to me."

Like Nash said, retirement is permanent, unless you're Michael Jordan or Brett Favre, but mostly, when you're done, it's done. And for a basketball player like Nash, even though he's had a long, incredible, Hall-of-Fame-level career, there's still more to be done.

But he's been fighting injuries the past two seasons, with his troublesome back and now recent leg injury.

"I would say it's probably going to flare up from time to time," Nash said of his injuries. "I don't know if I'll ever [get over it]. I'll probably deal with this for the rest of my life in some way."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24439384/steve-nash-on-considering-retirement-not-yet
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers struggle in loss to Utah Jazz, 96-79

Steve Nash fails to make it to the second half as the Lakers lose second game in a row.

By Eric Pincus
February 11, 2014, 9:54 p.m.

Utah Jazz 96 - Lakers 79 (end of regulation)

The good news for the Lakers -- they gained in the lottery chase to one of their direct competitors. The bad news -- Steve Nash couldn't get through a full game (back) and the Lakers lost at home to the Utah Jazz, 96-79.

After pulling ahead in the first quarter by 15, the Lakers were out-scored by 22 in the second. While they closed the gap slightly in the third, Utah had little trouble putting the Lakers away at Staples Center on Tuesday night.

Alec Burks scored 24 off the bench to lead the Jazz. Gordon Hayward contributed 15 points, eight rebounds and seven assists. The Jazz had a 25-13 free throw attempt advantage while out-rebounding the Lakers by 15 (55-40).

Chris Kaman notched a double-double with 25 points and 14 rebounds, but needed 24 shot attempts to get to 25. Wesley Johnson scored 15 and Shawne Williams, with 11, was the only other Laker in double figures.

Derrick Favors also managed a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Enes Kanter had 11 rebounds off the bench.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-utah-jazz-live-updates-20140211,0,2808795.story#ixzz2t5g4HNFn
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Utah Jazz: Jazz roll past injury-ravaged Lakers, end Staples Center losing streak

By Randy Hollis, Deseret News

Published: Tuesday, Feb. 11 2014 8:50 p.m. MST

Updated: 37 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES — They call this place the "City of Angels."

But don't tell that to the Utah Jazz because, over the last 14 months, they've had an absolute devil of a time winning here.

Until Tuesday night, that is.

That's when the Jazz exorcised their demons and finally put an end to their Staples Center misery, a losing streak that had stretched back six games, including four losses to the Clippers and two more to the Lakers.

This time, Utah roared back from a 15-point, first-quarter deficit with strong performances from several members of its lineup who took turns contributing to the comeback in an eventual 96-79 victory that gave the Jazz (18-33) just their seventh road win of the season.

"Just the resilience of the guys," Utah coach Tyrone Corbin of what impressed him most about his team's last two victories. "When we make a mistake and don't play our best in stretches, we tend to get back on board pretty quickly."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865596246/Utah-Jazz-Jazz-shake-off-slow-Lakers-run-to-lead-Los-Angeles-48-37-at-the-half.html
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject:

YEA! Utah is on a roll
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: