No one sees that this team is well coached?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject:

team defense falls on the coach first. just because reports say in practice that MDA teaches defense, doesn't mean he teaches it well.

no NBA team should allow the kind of ppg we've allowed the past 2 months. it's embarrassing.

and that blame falls on MDA first.

i've seen other teams without great defensive talent play good to great team defense.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
team defense falls on the coach first. just because reports say in practice that MDA teaches defense, doesn't mean he teaches it well.

no NBA team should allow the kind of ppg we've allowed the past 2 months. it's embarrassing.

and that blame falls on MDA first.

i've seen other teams without great defensive talent play good to great team defense.

No team in the nba has been as hurt as we have all season. is that embarrassing too? or once again we're afraid to talk about reality for fear we may have to leave our agenda at the door?

get a healthy roster...shoot get a decent healthy roster then cry about bad coaching and defense. until then. there's nothing else to really say. that is the #1 and #2 biggest reason for how we play and why we lose and how many points are put up.

and lets tell the truth. the lakers NETrtg is 4th worse in the nba.

thats offensiveRtg-defensiveRtg.

To be 4th worse while being the 1 most injured by far, and not just most games missed for ticky tack injuries. we're talking about guys tearing and pulling ligaments left and right. this isnt a bunch of ankle sprains and jumpers knee. these are real injuries.

X, swaggy, baze, kobe, nash. have all had serious injuries.

thats 5 guys. 2 legends, your 2nd best scorer, and probably your 2 best perimeter defenders in X and baze.

yet you want us to play better defense.. HOW?

and please dont bring up the bulls and thibs.

thibs has an anchor in the middle(noah-(center) played 79 games
thibs has Taj gibson, athletic tweener PF/SF - 81 games(and he might get 82)
thibs has Butler(athletic defender SG/SF) -played 66 games
thibs has hinrich(defender/pg) -72 games played
thibs had deng for 23 games

those are defensive players he has on his team

chicago defensive players total games: 403.

start naming our defensive players.

kobe-6 games...lol

wes- 78 games (not a smart defender but good defensive tools/athleticism)

Xavier-43 games

bazemore- 23 games with the lakers(has been down since 04/06/2014)

i'll even throw J.hill a bone -71 games played

Lakers defensive players total games 198

LOL at those numbers. and we're supposed to play good defense? stop it
Nordvader
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I think I've been trying to point this out for a while in this thread. He's debating with people that agree with him that injuries sidelined this season no matter who the coach is. But he hasn't addressed why anyone would therefore conclude that MDA is a good coach and one we should keep going forward.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject:

There is only one sure thing if you talk about NBA coachs still active and his name is Gregg Popovich. He has the rings and even when they donĀ“t win it all, his teans play good and solid BB.

Lakers GM must break the bank hard making him the highest payed coach in sports to bring back our credibility. Period.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Nordvader wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think I've been trying to point this out for a while in this thread. He's debating with people that agree with him that injuries sidelined this season no matter who the coach is. But he hasn't addressed why anyone would therefore conclude that MDA is a good coach and one we should keep going forward.

People excuse MDA because of injuries but I believe MDA indirectly cause or exacerbated the injuries due to poor time management.
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
Nordvader wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

People excuse MDA because of injuries but I believe MDA indirectly cause or exacerbated the injuries due to poor time management.

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
Nordvader wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

all the sane posters are losing it. i know we're losing folks but good grief. dont let the agenda and hate for mda cloud your reality.

reality is....we had injuries from day one before the season started. nash/kobe. gasol is old.

kaman is a walking injury bug always has been.

guys started getting hurt back to back. blake, farmar, we already dont have nash. thats all of our pg's out really close together. thats not mda's fault, farmar's hammy's aint ready for nba mins and 82 games.

blake had a elbow injury you see in baseball. so stop it.
nash bumped someone's knee..stop it.

X with the knee, then the wrist. and thats on MDA how?

doesnt make sense folks.

the main reason farmar kept getting hurt is because he kept coming back to early. why? because he's on a 1 year deal and he wants to not only stay in the nba but stay on the lakers. what would you do if your dream job was THIS CLOSE. you would play hurt too and risk injury just like he did. this is probably the same issue with a few guys that have come in then gone out. that are on one year deals.

if mda's offense is injuring guys. then the entire nba needs to hang it up. cause all you do is run run run, jump jump jump.

i mean how many lobs is DJ going to catch for the clips? i know good and well he has to have jumpers knee by now. but no one is crying about doc allowing those excess lobs to be thrown. why? cause they are winning and they are not hurt. not that the style of play couldnt attribute to injury cause it could. but since they're rolling. no complaints.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:

^ still not one convincing argument that MDa is a good coach.
PauXXL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject:

The horrific defense goes back to last year when we had Dwight Howard and yes MDA was the head coach like he is now. BY any chance P&P did you happen to hear what BruceBowen said about MDA coached teams? When the Spurs played them in the play-offs they never really feard them because they knew when it came down to making stops the Suns were not capable of doing it. The story of MDA's life. It will never change. That's why he's a pathetic and lame excuse for a coach and I will be the first to be laughing when he's fired from here. Can't wait.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject:

4OnTheFloor wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
Nordvader wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Pau, Blake, and Meeks were the only players to average over 30 mpg. I'm sure'd we'd love to blame MDA for Pau's vertigo (12 games missed) and respiratory infection (5 games), but Pau's only missed time due to injury were the 7 games leading up to the trade deadline, which nobody was blaming MDA for.

Were Blake's elbow issues a result of too much running?

Farmar was an injury liability long before he met MDA.

Nash's injury issues came from a freak collision while playing defense. He's also 40 years old.

We can hardly blame MDA for Kobe's knee injury considering 1) kobe was playing less than 30 minutes and 2) he wasn't exactly running the SSOL offense when he came back.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:

PauXXL wrote:
The horrific defense goes back to last year when we had Dwight Howard and yes MDA was the head coach like he is now. BY any chance P&P did you happen to hear what BruceBowen said about MDA coached teams? When the Spurs played them in the play-offs they never really feard them because they knew when it came down to making stops the Suns were not capable of doing it. The story of MDA's life. It will never change. That's why he's a pathetic and lame excuse for a coach and I will be the first to be laughing when he's fired from here. Can't wait.

I heard that too. If you ever find a link to that Bowen convo please make a thread (or PM it to me). Bowen summed up what I've been saying about MDA. Popovich knows it too. MDA's philosophy is flawed.

Especially for our roster. If he's in Denver, clippers, or golden state. Different story.
onering
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot...

i generally agree with most of what you have to say, but I gotta admit i disagree with your stance on d'antoni being the right coach that can produce a good defensive if it weren't for injuries.

phil jackson used to piss me off in the past when he said "our defense comes from our offense". but now i see the wisdom of those words. the slow triangle was a better fit for our slow team because it encouraged a slower pace (playing out of the post to find the best shot required more shot clock). that pace effectively slowed the game down, enabling our guys to get back on defense and match-up better with opponents (less run outs, less frantic scramble to match-up, etc.)

the fast pace of d'antoni teams by definition leads to bad defensive balance. now this can be compensated for if you have super athletic freaks that have good defensive fundamentals. but it will NEVER be as effective of a defensive scheme compared to a slower paced approach with those same athletic freaks.

let's look at the latest round of phil jackson coached laker teams. guess who the defensive coach was? rambis! guess who the current defensive coach is? rambis! admittedly, our defense would be better without all of the injuries... but that said do we even have the correct holistic system (offense/defense) that is condusive to great defense?

assuming kobe and gasol come back next year (much slower than they used to be) and some of our more athletic young guys also come back, we just don't have the horses to be a good defensive team with d'antoni's fast pace offense.

d'antoni's fault is not that he is a bad defensive coach, his fault is that he insists on running his fast pace offense that creates inherently bad defensive positioning. even if we were healthy, can you honestly say that we would have the sheer athletic talent to outrun OKC, MIA, LAC?

no... the only way we can compete is if we slow the game down and pound it inside, out-rebound, out-hustle, mire the game down in the half court where the diverse offensive skill-set of Kobe and Gasol (maybe Love or Anthony) can wear down opponents. where we can take away the running advantage that the OKCs, MIAs, and LACs have.

look at IND. they slow down the game to a crawl and actually compete well against those teams. why? their offensive talent is far from comparable. they win ugly. and that is how the current version of LAL needs to be structured.

i agree with you that d'antoni is not a "bad" defensive coach. he is just not the right coach for this team.

and don't say we had a great defensive anchor for the last two championships. in fact... bynum didn't play in the first and barely played in the second. yes indiana has hibbert. and just because we don't have a great defensive anchor now, it doesn't mean we need to go the opposite direction and run a fast pace run and gun system (whether it is the true 7 seconds or less system or not).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject:

onering wrote:
postandpivot...

i generally agree with most of what you have to say, but I gotta admit i disagree with your stance on d'antoni being the right coach that can produce a good defensive if it weren't for injuries.

phil jackson used to piss me off in the past when he said "our defense comes from our offense". but now i see the wisdom of those words. the slow triangle was a better fit for our slow team because it encouraged a slower pace (playing out of the post to find the best shot required more shot clock). that pace effectively slowed the game down, enabling our guys to get back on defense and match-up better with opponents (less run outs, less frantic scramble to match-up, etc.)

the fast pace of d'antoni teams by definition leads to bad defensive balance. now this can be compensated for if you have super athletic freaks that have good defensive fundamentals. but it will NEVER be as effective of a defensive scheme compared to a slower paced approach with those same athletic freaks.

let's look at the latest round of phil jackson coached laker teams. guess who the defensive coach was? rambis! guess who the current defensive coach is? rambis! admittedly, our defense would be better without all of the injuries... but that said do we even have the correct holistic system (offense/defense) that is condusive to great defense?

assuming kobe and gasol come back next year (much slower than they used to be) and some of our more athletic young guys also come back, we just don't have the horses to be a good defensive team with d'antoni's fast pace offense.

d'antoni's fault is not that he is a bad defensive coach, his fault is that he insists on running his fast pace offense that creates inherently bad defensive positioning. even if we were healthy, can you honestly say that we would have the sheer athletic talent to outrun OKC, MIA, LAC?

no... the only way we can compete is if we slow the game down and pound it inside, out-rebound, out-hustle, mire the game down in the half court where the diverse offensive skill-set of Kobe and Gasol (maybe Love or Anthony) can wear down opponents. where we can take away the running advantage that the OKCs, MIAs, and LACs have.

look at IND. they slow down the game to a crawl and actually compete well against those teams. why? their offensive talent is far from comparable. they win ugly. and that is how the current version of LAL needs to be structured.

i agree with you that d'antoni is not a "bad" defensive coach. he is just not the right coach for this team.

and don't say we had a great defensive anchor for the last two championships. in fact... bynum didn't play in the first and barely played in the second. yes indiana has hibbert. and just because we don't have a great defensive anchor now, it doesn't mean we need to go the opposite direction and run a fast pace run and gun system (whether it is the true 7 seconds or less system or not).

+1
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject:

It's not just lack of personnel. His lack of ability to adapt is mind boggling. How is this thread still going on?
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject:

The Triangle also had a solid floor balance going for it, that gave some assurance regarding our defensive transition, even with old as dirt guys playing. The slow pace and the organized offense allows for a more predictable game for both sides, both teams have more time to settle into their O and D and in the end it's all about execution. No coach could do that much better with our roster and respective injuries but yeah, going forward he gotta have the ambition to win and compete on every game.

In the end it's all about balance, defend well and attack better, you run ocasionally when you have clear advantages on doing it and you slow it down when you face a running team. So i would argue that we dont need neither a D'Antoni (only focus is on the offensive side of the game) nor a super defensive minded coach like Thibs or Lionel Hollins. I would just steal Buddenholzer right up from the Hawks, but that's just me
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject:

onering wrote:
postandpivot...

That new rule they were calling this year would have fouled up that defensive strategy a little. Odom and Ron specifically were great at kicking the ball around after made baskets so the other teams could not push the pace. Phil's teams had a very hard time dealing with quick teams so their main defense against it was to eliminate those opportunities by preventing quick in bound plays.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It seems that there are two ways of looking at it and two groups of people representing those mindsets:

The first says that MDA is garbage as he's never proven otherwise.

The second says MDA isn't garbage as he hasn't been given a chance.

I'm in the first camp both in regards to my perspective on the coach and the team's management.

It's called the null hypothesis. They suck until they've proven otherwise. To support an unproven product is to be a shill. It's irrational.

For what it's worth I think PostandPivot just enjoys hearing himself talk and that sometimes it's fun being such a contrarian. Nobody in their right mind is supporting this guy except him.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
It's not just lack of personnel. His lack of ability to adapt is mind boggling. How is this thread still going on?

Certain people are enjoying an irrational game of "volleyball".

I don't honestly believe that even those ostensibly supporting MDA reall do "like" the guy. They're just playing devil's advocate to have something to type about.
It's a boring year for us, there has to be something to harp on.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
who said he was some great coach? i know i didnt.

he's a good coach when he has a good roster. what more do you want me to say?

mda is not a Horrible, nor a BAD coach. that is a complete falicy and non of you have made a convincing argument proving how bad he is. what you do is say "melo didnt like him, look at ny." not realizing felton was hurt, thats like pippen being hurt during the chicago run. no facilitator no triangle. thats like kobe being hurt, no facilitator no triangle. no pg no mda offense.

in addition to that. melo is a ball stopper. and always has been. is that on mda? NOPE.

melo is a non defender, so is armar, and jr plays defense when he feels like it.

all of a sudden the other coach was so much better then mda. did the knicks just miss the playoffs is the leastern conf? yep. did they just get blown out by MDA and the hurt lakers during a point where they needed every win to get in the offs? YEP

So you will point to his time with the lakers. which has been riddled in injury after injury after injury.

so like i said. i have not yet seen one convincing argument to show me he's a bad or horrible coach.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject:

divncom wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

Certain people are enjoying an irrational game of "volleyball".

I don't honestly believe that even those ostensibly supporting MDA reall do "like" the guy. They're just playing devil's advocate to have something to type about.
It's a boring year for us, there has to be something to harp on.
why play devil's advocate when you can play reality advocate?

sorry everyone isnt a crazed fan ready to jump off the bridge everytime we lose. even though the loses are based on injuries.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
The Triangle also had a solid floor balance going for it, that gave some assurance regarding our defensive transition, even with old as dirt guys playing. The slow pace and the organized offense allows for a more predictable game for both sides, both teams have more time to settle into their O and D and in the end it's all about execution. No coach could do that much better with our roster and respective injuries but yeah, going forward he gotta have the ambition to win and compete on every game.

In the end it's all about balance, defend well and attack better, you run ocasionally when you have clear advantages on doing it and you slow it down when you face a running team. So i would argue that we dont need neither a D'Antoni (only focus is on the offensive side of the game) nor a super defensive minded coach like Thibs or Lionel Hollins. I would just steal Buddenholzer right up from the Hawks, but that's just me
umm the triangle didnt support our OLD guys. our guys were NOT OLD in the tri. they are now super OLD in mda's system. its not the same thing at all. not even close.

kobe was 2 years older, gasol was 2 years older. by the time mda came thru.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject:

onering wrote:
postandpivot...

one, i have to pull this out. i've played a lot of basketball in my life. and one thing has remained constant. when a team is way over matched and said team has 3 pt shooters. they will run up the court and shoot as many 3's as they can. WHY? because the 3pt shot and your speed is the only equalizer.

the lakers are not GOOD enough to setup everytime in teh half court. do you know what happens when we do that to often vs a decent team? we go into very LONG slumps. do you know why? because we dont have a superstar to go to in those situations since he's hurt(KOBE). our plan B guy was hurt for awhile as well(swaggy). so that means any drought we go on we will stay stuck in said drought. unless we push the pass and hit some 3's. thats the only shot we have.

i still think you guys dont realize how bad our roster really was this season in comparison to the rest of the nba. as far as talent and savvy. we were young, and didnt have a lot of names that could get things done on a consistent basis.

i liked X a lot. but the guy was a shell of himself on the road. thats what young guys do.

meeks was too short to guard a legit SG.

the rest of the guys were hurt all year long. No subs = more mins = more injuries = less chemistry.

we dont know what mda would do with a healthy team that has a contending roster to boot. well actually we do know. he will win a ton of games and get to the 2nd round at minimum.
Suckmaki Walker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I find it hilarious that people are blaming MDA for all of these loses when it's blatantly obvious the Lakers were forced to tank due to all of these injuries. You complain the other team socred 120 or more points? They're trying to lose at this point. If they had only give up 95 maybe they would have scored 93. Keep hearing that he overruns his players? Kobe is just old and Pau has always been injury prone. As for everyone else, these guys all love the minutes they're getting due to contract years.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject:

Suckmaki Walker wrote:
You complain the other team socred 120 or more points? They're trying to lose at this point.

Not true. The players, MDA never tryed to lose.

I agree with PnP, MDA isn't a horrible coach nor is he a great one. He's also probably a better theorician than he's a leader of men. His offensive system was also more efficient a decade ago when most teams would go big... Nowadays he's desperatly trying to outrun faster teams.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
we dont know what mda would do with a healthy team that has a contending roster to boot. well actually we do know. he will win a ton of games and get to the 2nd round at minimum.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2008.html

Maybe back in 2007. He hasn't made it out of the first round since.

In 07-08 he had a team with nash, amare, shaq, bell, marion, barbosa, grant hill, and he couldn't make it out of the first round. Kinda reminds me of our team last year that couldn't make it out of the first round with MDA
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 23 of 25
Jump to: