Which currently active player could potentially get a quadruple double?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:

My sleeper pick would be Rubio.
MambaMentality
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Davis and Noah in points, rebounds, assists and either blocks or steals
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Wilt probably would of had a bunch of them if they kept stats like blocks back then.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

I don't understand most of the suggestions, especially the plethora of Lebron answers.

When have they / he ever gotten even one 10 block or 10 steal game?

At least Joakim Noah has had tripple double or double double nights with blocks.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject:

Carter Williams is the closest of current nba players isnt he?
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

2015 Bump

Anthony Davis has 30 points, 11 rebounds, 7 assists and 8 blocks going into OT with Nuggets. He probably won't get it but yea he is definitely a threat to be the next one to do it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook came within one turnover against the Raptors. However, I doubt that the OP was thinking about that kind of quadruple double.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Westbrook came within one turnover against the Raptors. However, I doubt that the OP was thinking about that kind of quadruple double.

True. But he is definitely the player playing today most likely to have a QD the good way.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
2015 Bump

Anthony Davis has 30 points, 11 rebounds, 7 assists and 8 blocks going into OT with Nuggets. He probably won't get it but yea he is definitely a threat to be the next one to do it.

Just from a logical standpoint, there's a higher chance of 10 blocks than 10 steals (since there's more shots in your vicinity as an anchor than passes you can pick), the only guy i can think of with steals is Alvin Robertson (and that guy gambled on everything)
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
Anthony Davis is my candidate. I think Anthony Davis could do it with Points, Rebounds, Blocks, Assists. Could even rack up the steals.

I don't think Blake Griffin can do this, unless its with steals.

Davis was the first guy to come to mind, especially because he's in his young and video gm athletic phase (even the greatest players stay there for a finite amount of years). LeBron too, but I would've thought he'd be a likelier candidate when he was a few ticks younger than he is now, maybe a few years ago when he covered such an ungodly amount of area from floor to rim>. Back then, there were zero questions of anything relating to his body and minutes.

Alvin Robertson doing this on steals shows how unlikely that route is because he was to the steal what Rodman was to the board (idiot savants in that one specific area). He had a 6 yr streak of 3.0 steals avg with 5 of them at 3.0 or above and one at 2.6. He was at 3.7 in 1986, which is the all-time single season SPG avg. You have that many years at that kind of rate, and you're a candidate for a QD, proof's in the puddin. He had a combination of hand-eye coordination, quick hands, general quickness, and anticipation that Stockton didn't possess even though Johnny got more total steals via 19 years and slapping it out of opponents' hands 3/4ths of the time. I have many Laker-Spurs gms from that old era and Robertson was clearly hunting for steals from tipoff to final buzzer (Telleris above was dead on, I can vouch for it). Maybe a little too much, but for example, on the first possession of an 88 playoff gm, Byron saw him coming and put it over his head with both hands to keep it away and Alvin still jumped up and perfectly took it away and ran down for the open dunk. I remember a clip of him taking it from the guy he knew Mark Eaton was gonna tap it to. Eaton tapped it and he calmly took it from the hands of the guy who caught it for the solo dunk downcourt. I've never seen that idea used before or since. He could anticipate passes, jump into passing lane, slap it away, take it away, tip it away and retrieve it, anything. Just a very savvy guy on D, not a lockdown defender, but one of those annoying, nonstop motor guys. Steals won't happen if that's the only guy who has ever managed to do it that way. Bird almost got there once with a triple double plus 8 steals, but didn't get the 10. I would think that Scottie Pippen must've whiffed one or two in his day, but even he didn't. That shows how truly rare that feat is if he or JorDon didn't do it once. Prime Jason Kidd if he had just lucked out on the steals one night probably had as good a shot as anyone. Prime Gary Payton is another one. He could do any of the 4 cats on a given night, but they never aligned into a single performance.

If DRob and Hakeem got it on blocks, it's almost as foreboding for anyone else. I recall Kemp getting 10 against the Lakers once and Josh Smith or AK getting close, but these guys weren't the total packages that most superstars are. It may not be the blocks, but the assists might be the problem. Dikembe got 10 blocks a number of times, but the assists and scoring kept him out of that category unlike DRob and Akeem. Shaq had a 23/28 and 15 blocks gm at NJ in his 2nd or 3rd year, but it was the assists.

Got no idea what Thurmond did, prior to my time, but shirley went the blocks route. Maybe the moon and stars aligned that night to give him the 10 assists.

It's not undoable, it just might take a talented mofo plus a bit of luck. Could be like Klay Thompson out of nowhere breaking the quarter scoring mark that dated back to 78. Who thought that was ever gonna be broken if Mike or Kobe didn't already do it?

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:44 am; edited 4 times in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject:

Hakeem once had 38 PTS/ 17 RBS/ 12 BLKS/ 7 STLS/ 6 ASSTS

That's probably the most complete game ever.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject:

Nerlens Noel is another guy to mention as a possibility. Only player in the league who is in the top 10 in blocks and steals. Pelicans would have an incredible defense if they had kept him and paired him next to Davis.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
Nerlens Noel is another guy to mention as a possibility. Only player in the league who is in the top 10 in blocks and steals. Pelicans would have an incredible defense if they had kept him and paired him next to Davis.

We'll have to see how he develops. Right now, he isn't averaging 10 ppg, 8 rpg, or 2 spg, bpg, or apg. He's averaging over 30 minutes, so it isn't like he's not getting playing time. I haven't seen him play enough to form much of an opinion. He might blossom like Anthony Davis, but unlike Davis, Noel hasn't struck me as a guy who was likely to blossom.

Anyway, I agree with KBCB that Westbrook is the guy who is most likely to pull a quadruple double at some point. He's ball dominant and a bit shameless, for better or worse.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject:

I have to go with Khris Middleton, obviously ...

But on a more serious note, why not our good friend Creflo Augustus Dollar? He may not even play in the NBA, but he's apparently in the throes of raising enough $$$ to acquire or accumulate at least ten of just about anything.

Spoiler Alert (do not read if your favorite genre = "fairy tales"): Given his earnest constituency, he'll have no problem getting buckets (of crispy cash). Meanwhile, nobody rebounds like a salvation peddler; and I doubt he's going to struggle racking up steals. But as any alert witness to an effective communicator under the banner of faith knows all-too-well, the assists tally might suffer since giving is much less part of his actual "gameplay" than receiving.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

WE NEED TO STEAL DAVIS FROM NEW ORLEANS
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

He was listed at 7 feet too. He was so good, they just spotted him those 2 extra inches. He wakes up one day and says, "I wanna stick an H onto my first name," and we all say, "Anything you say, HAAK-eem." Didn't you used to overpronounce the H in the beginning as you also did with Horry? Horry's H was far more silent than Hakeem's supposedly was.

He was so good, he said on camera that his owner was a "cowahd" (coward) and demanded a trade. They suspended him for behaviour unbecoming the values and expectations of noble and intelligent Rocket fans like Dreamshake. Yet, we STILL!! gave him a historic pass!! Kobe didn't even get one of those!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

Anthony Davis or Westbrook.

http://www.slamonline.com/media/slam-tv/anthony-davis-near-quadruple-double-video/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

He was listed at 7 feet too. He was so good, they just spotted him those 2 extra inches. He wakes up one day and says, "I wanna stick an H onto my first name," and we all say, "Anything you say, HAAK-eem." Didn't you used to overpronounce the H in the beginning as you also did with Horry? Horry's H was far more silent than Hakeem's supposedly was.

He was so good, he said on camera that his owner was a "cowahd" (coward) and demanded a trade. They suspended him for behaviour unbecoming the values and expectations of noble and intelligent Rocket fans like Dreamshake. Yet, we STILL!! gave him a historic pass!! Kobe didn't even get one of those!

Akeem
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Akeem

This Akeem
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Akeem

This Akeem

Son, I'm only going to tell you this one time: you want to keep working here...stay off the drugs.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Just from a logical standpoint, there's a higher chance of 10 blocks than 10 steals (since there's more shots in your vicinity as an anchor than passes you can pick), the only guy i can think of with steals is Alvin Robertson (and that guy gambled on everything)

Yeah, but it's only happened 4 times in some 45,000 games since they started recorded blocks/steals, so on the rare chance it happens it's going to be some fluky thing anyway.

If I had the choice of picking either (a) someone currently in the NBA will have a quadruple double in their career or (b) no quadruple triple will happen before everyone currently in the NBA retires, I'd bet on B.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

Akeem

That might've been the reason NBA Akeem added the H. It was in deference to the WWF Akeem (The OTHER African Dream).

Garnett was another potential candidate in his prime, but no Auerbach cigar.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Akeem

That might've been the reason NBA Akeem added the H. It was in deference to the WWF Akeem (The OTHER African Dream).

Hakeem was a Dream, and Christian Okoye was a Nightmare. What is it about African players that makes the media tie the unconscious to their nicknames?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Akeem

Hakeem was a Dream, and Christian Okoye was a Nightmare. What is it about African players that makes the media tie the unconscious to their nicknames?

Rhymes (Hakeem the Dream) and alliteration (the Nigerian Nightmare).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: