Lakers in the News 2/26/14: "Report: NBA personnel concerned Exum will force way to Lakers" ---- "Pau Gasol and Lakers to part after the Season"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA Draft: Is Dante Exum destined to be a Laker?

Sean Deveney Sporting News

We are still a long way from the NBA draft—just about four months, in fact—but already, questions have arisen about the intentions of star Australian guard Dante Exum. Already, Exum has acknowledged that he is a fan of Kobe Bryant, and signed with agent Rob Pelinka, who also represents Bryant. And Exum has said he’d love to play in Los Angeles.

But would Exum go so far as to try to angle his way onto the Lakers, who currently have the fifth-worst record in the NBA? That’s the concern among some front-office executives around the league.

Kentucky's Julius Randle (AP Photo)
MORE: Collins has best-selling jersey | LeBron gets WWE belts for teammates

“When you hear some of what he says, it does make you wonder how the process is going to go as far as workouts and that sort of thing,” one general manager told Sporting News. “We have seen this story before, of course. I am not sure a player can have that kind of control, though.”

And, in recent times, at least, the story has not exactly worked out the way the player hoped. When Ricky Rubio attempted to land himself with the Thunder, Clippers or Kings in ’09, all three teams passed on him and he wound up going to Minnesota.

In 2007, when Yi Jianlian was trying to select his market, he only worked out in front of the Hawks, Celtics, Bulls, Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Warriors and Sixers. Three teams with Top 7 picks—Milwaukee, Memphis and Minnesota—were not invited to watch him. The Bucks drafted Yi anyway.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-02-26/2014-nba-draft-dante-exum-los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant-andrew-wiggins-julius-randle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers Both Ready to Part Ways After Turbulent Season

The trap door is no longer a threat to Pau Gasol.

He will finish in a couple months on his own two feet, in a manner befitting his grace. It’ll end when the Los Angeles Lakers’ regular-season schedule does, not via surprise trade to an unknown destination.

This summer, Gasol will move on to some other NBA franchise where, along with his two championship rings, the fresh fans will respect all that is clearly good in him—much as Lakers fans saw generosity in his heart when Memphis Grizzlies fans only saw Gasol wasn’t selfish enough to prop up a team all by himself.

It’s even possible he might do the Lakers one last good deed on his way out, considering a sign-and-trade deal could still give the Lakers a substantial boost in their rebuilding around and after Kobe Bryant.

Both the Lakers and Gasol, who’ve had a working relationship marked by a refreshing sort of maturity, understand it’s time to part.

As bad as the Lakers are now as they lose and lose with Gasol again unable to prop this team up by himself, it’s certainly not going to end well for the Spanish big man.

But it’s going to end OK.

There might be ongoing disagreement in philosophy with Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni—to be expected when D’Antoni came in and so catered to Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Bryant all ahead of Gasol. There will not be anything more than that, however.

Gasol has no malicious intent toward the franchise that tried to trade him so many times. He is beyond open-minded in being mindful that they must’ve declined to trade him plenty, too.

Gasol has no interest in torching this Lakers nation he has served as aristocrat and warrior for six-and-a-half years, the exact same tenure he first lasted in Memphis. He returns to Memphis on Wednesday for his expected last appearance here as a Laker, and it was on the Lakers’ other trip here this season that Gasol’s farewell season got derailed.

Link to read full article
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Has Pau looked at our record? It's over, relax. This is just a tryout for next season now, Pau shouldn't play more than 25 mpg @ this point. No sense in grinding guys into the ground any further.

Tell that to the reporter who asked him the question. It's tough to answer a silly question like that about the game after a loss during a lost season. It really is tough, but the reporter got what he wanted and Pau took the bait.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
ShotInTheDark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Pau Gasol, Lakers next Head Coach?

:cheers:

Pau might make a good GM someday...

Interesting timing by Pau to express himself. Almost like he wants to gently let Lakerland he isn't coming back, and to let Memphis know that he will be available.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers Both Ready to Part Ways After Turbulent Season

The trap door is no longer a threat to Pau Gasol.

He will finish in a couple months on his own two feet, in a manner befitting his grace. It’ll end when the Los Angeles Lakers’ regular-season schedule does, not via surprise trade to an unknown destination.

This summer, Gasol will move on to some other NBA franchise where, along with his two championship rings, the fresh fans will respect all that is clearly good in him—much as Lakers fans saw generosity in his heart when Memphis Grizzlies fans only saw Gasol wasn’t selfish enough to prop up a team all by himself.

It’s even possible he might do the Lakers one last good deed on his way out, considering a sign-and-trade deal could still give the Lakers a substantial boost in their rebuilding around and after Kobe Bryant.

Both the Lakers and Gasol, who’ve had a working relationship marked by a refreshing sort of maturity, understand it’s time to part.

As bad as the Lakers are now as they lose and lose with Gasol again unable to prop this team up by himself, it’s certainly not going to end well for the Spanish big man.

But it’s going to end OK.

There might be ongoing disagreement in philosophy with Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni—to be expected when D’Antoni came in and so catered to Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Bryant all ahead of Gasol. There will not be anything more than that, however.

Gasol has no malicious intent toward the franchise that tried to trade him so many times. He is beyond open-minded in being mindful that they must’ve declined to trade him plenty, too.

Gasol has no interest in torching this Lakers nation he has served as aristocrat and warrior for six-and-a-half years, the exact same tenure he first lasted in Memphis. He returns to Memphis on Wednesday for his expected last appearance here as a Laker, and it was on the Lakers’ other trip here this season that Gasol’s farewell season got derailed.

Link to read full article

I don't say it too often but what a great pleasure it was to have Pau play for us and really put us back on the map after the Shaq debacle. Can't wait for the night that #16 goes up in the rafters forever.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Peoples Hernandez wrote:
I don't say it too often but what a great pleasure it was to have Pau play for us and really put us back on the map after the Shaq debacle. Can't wait for the night that #16 goes up in the rafters forever.

Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Report: NBA personnel concerned Exum will force way to Lakers
By Matt Moore | NBA writer
February 26, 2014 5:18 pm ET

When projected first-rounder Australian guard Dante Exum told an Australian paper that he planned to speak with Lakers star Kobe Bryant about the transition to the NBA and signed with Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, there was a degree of concern that this could be foreshadowing. There were rumors, after all, later denied by Bryant and some executives, that as a high school phenom Bryant had threatened to play in Europe if anyone but the Lakers tried to draft him.

Now the Sporting News reports that some personnel are concerned about the same thing with Exum.

But would Exum go so far as to try to angle his way onto the Lakers, who currently have the fifth-worst record in the NBA? That's the concern among some front-office executives around the league.

“When you hear some of what he says, it does make you wonder how the process is going to go as far as workouts and that sort of thing,” one general manager told Sporting News. “We have seen this story before, of course. I am not sure a player can have that kind of control, though.”

via NBA Draft: Is Dante Exum destined to be a Laker? - NBA - Sporting News.

Pulling that kind of stunt now as opposed to when Bryant did it in the late-90's is a different deal, now. Not only is there more reporting and more scrutiny with the internet and social media, but Adam Silver played a huge hand in the CBA negotiations towards leveling the playing field for small markets to prevent exactly this kind of thing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24457934/report-nba-personnel-concerned-exum-will-try-to-force-his-way-to-lakers
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:

K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:

People Hernandez wrote:

I agree.

it was a great ride, which came to end unfortunate end.... I hope whoever we draft puts us in the same position as Gasol did even if it takes a few years.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Peoples Hernandez wrote:

I'll be wearing my Pau jersey that night.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Retire 16. Pau gasol sweet 16 laker for life
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject:

It's premature to start saying our goodbyes to Pau. Despite what Kevin Ding says, no one can say for sure where he'll be playing next year. And given how many times his obituary in L.A. has been written, I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes his career here, albeit making somewhat less than what he's making now.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:

I'll be wearing my Pau jersey that night.

No doubt. It's been excrutiating seeing the 3 year break up though.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject:

Draft Exum or Randle and sign Stephenson in offseason 2014.

Sign Mark Gasol or Love in offseason in 2015.

Sign Durant to replace Kobe in offseason 2016. If he refuses sign Westbrook in offseason 2017.

This all assumes no Lebron by the way...
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject:

What a crappy way to end this way, it's really unfortunate and it's been this bad since 2010
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I hope Pau takes a pay cut & remains a Laker. However with MDA around & a heftier offer from a contender the chances of PG staying after all this mess is nil.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject:

MDA doesn't know how to coach bigs. It's just that simple.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
I hope Pau takes a pay cut & remains a Laker. However with MDA around & a heftier offer from a contender the chances of PG staying after all this mess is nil.

That's what makes me cringe, losing Pau because he wasn't used the right way, and instead holding onto a coach who isn't willing to learn how to use bigs. Its a shame.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject:

My gut feeling is Pau stays, MDA goes.
Jajwanda
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject:

I could see Pau and Kobe doing well in a post-up offense under Lionel Hollins.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
What a crappy way to end this way, it's really unfortunate and it's been this bad since 2010

He was awesome in 2011, he just ran out of gas in the playoffs.
crackadon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject:

wtf?

all season LG has been putting Pau on blast for his weak defense, weak inside presence, lack of leadership/intensity, passive-aggressive comments, and overall failure to carry or inspire this squad, now we're all sad he might leave us next year? we all want his jersey retired now?

i'm appreciative for everything he's done for this team. i've rooted for him throughout the years and honestly think he comes across like a good guy/professional, but i'm not gonna act like i haven't wanted him gone for over 2 seasons now.

you guys sure flip-flop a lot.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject:

smokecrack wrote:
what the heck?

all season LG has been putting Pau on blast for his weak defense, weak inside presence, lack of leadership/intensity, passive-aggressive comments, and overall failure to carry or inspire this squad, now we're all sad he might leave us next year? we all want his jersey retired now?

i'm appreciative for everything he's done for this team. i've rooted for him throughout the years and honestly think he comes across like a good guy/professional, but i'm not gonna act like i haven't wanted him gone for over 2 seasons now.

you guys sure flip-flop a lot.

I still really want him gone. I'm tired of his crap.

But I do think they should retire his jersey. I've always thought that.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject:

Jajwanda wrote:
I could see Pau and Kobe doing well in a post-up offense under Lionel Hollins.

I couldn't, they have to play the other end of basketball too
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: