Mark Cuban "There's no reason for the NCAA to exist. None."
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueLies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Mark Cuban "There's no reason for the NCAA to exist. None."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/10538276/mark-cuban-says-nba-d-league-better-option-ncaa

Quote:
"I think what will end up happening -- and this is my opinion, not that of the league -- is if the colleges don't change from the one-and-done, we'll go after the one," Cuban said. "The NCAA rules are so hypocritical, there's absolutely no reason for a kid to go [to college], because he's not going to class [and] he's actually not even able to take advantage of all the fun because the first semester he starts playing basketball. So if the goal is just to graduate to the NBA or be an NBA player, go to the D-League."

what do you guys think? i suggest you read the whole article before jumping to conclusions
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject:

I didn't read the whole article but I agree that making these top prospects go to college is dumb.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject:

I hate mark cuban so I will disagree with everything he says
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I hate mark cuban so I will disagree with everything he says

So you're useless?

I'm not sure about it. He talks about guy not even going to class, but is it that much?
A guy destined for NBA who fails (injury, too much pressure,...) can have a diploma that way... If he goes to class, he doesn't end up with nothing but a bridge to leave under.

Making guys going to college no matter what, maybe no, but the one who wants, why not?!
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject:

He's got some points. but i am confused about other sports.
should they also set up same kind of d-leagues?
if so, who wants to watch the scrubs in ncaa?
basically Cuban's idea will kill ncaa instantly.
MambaMentality
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject:

Look what additional seasoning did for Lillard, Trey Burke and Evan Turner (among others). Some kids need college, others don't. I hope they revoke the one-and-done rule, but this suggestion will so more damage than good. Not everyone is an Anthony Davis once they leave HS.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
He's got some points. but i am confused about other sports.
should they also set up same kind of d-leagues?
if so, who wants to watch the scrubs in ncaa?
basically Cuban's idea will kill ncaa instantly.

Baseball seems to have a better model, that puts a kid in college for at least 3 years, while also having a strong minor league system.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject:

This all actually falls on the NBA franchises. It's up to them who they draft. If they got rid of 19 and older rule they feel they can't help but draft young, unproven potential talent.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject:

The minimum age limit is (bleep).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject:

I've been saying essentially the same thing as Cuban for years. Big time college basketball is a farce that exists only because there is no true minor league for kids coming out of high school. It gets defended by people who want to tell the kids what is best for them, but who aren't willing to force the colleges to actually deliver on their promises.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject:

The NBA could always to extend to guarantee all 2 round draft pick contracts as well. That would offer further financial support to young athletes and make each franchise more responsible for their draft picks.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject:

I made this same argument a few months back. The NCAA is an exploitative system, and AH's comment about people wanting to tell the kids (who are legally adults) what's best for them is completely true.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject:

Isn't playing over seas a legit option?
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject:

The NCAA is a garbage organization. However until there is money in the D-League kids will keep going to college over the D-League.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
The NCAA is a garbage organization. However until there is money in the D-League kids will keep going to college over the D-League.

They would have to attract all the top coaches.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Isn't playing over seas a legit option?

Sort of. For the right kid, it could be a good option. But the typical 18 year old gym rat whose world revolves around AAU ball and the accompanying culture is not ready to move to Italy, Greece, or Israel. Heck, moving to the Rio Grande Valley in Texas would be enough culture shock for a lot of these kids, and that is still nominally the United States. In order for Europe to become a truly viable option, you would need a John Calipari type to set up a team with a support system for the players and their families.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:

Here is a serious question that none of us can really answer: Do the college coaches really matter to the kids, or are they just creations of the ex-coaches who dominate the TV networks? Coach K might matter to some kids, and the same is true for a couple others.

But let's suppose that Sammy Jammer at Saint Michael's Prep in Urbanville is presented with the following choice:

1. Go to Kansas for a year with Bill Self, play basketball without pay under the college rules, and pretend to be a student athlete

2. Go play for the Austin Toros, make $50,000, and play basketball under the NBA rules

I'm thinking that Bill Self doesn't seem that important to Sammy. Playing for the Toros as a professional would probably be at least equal if not substantially better in terms of player development.

In reality, the D League doesn't pay $50k. I think the average pay is around $17k. In order to make this work, the NBA would need to find a way to pay the equivalent of the signing bonuses that are given to the top high school baseball prospects, or something along those lines.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:

D-League would need more teams and better players
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject:

Telling someone you have to go to college for one year before becoming edible to make millions is un-American. As we have seen over and over again, players that have stayed in college and had successful careers, have not necessarily done well in retirement.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject:

Sure, but let's remember that the source of the one-year rule is the NBA, not the NCAA or anyone who gives a flip about the well being of the kids. The NBA got sick of seeing its teams fork over large amounts of money to unproven kids coming out of high school. Yes, there is truth in the NBA's stated reason: that they wanted their rookies to have been exposed to the national media for a year to help with the NBA's own marketing. But more than anything else, they were sick of paying millions of dollars to kids who never cut it in the NBA.

The one-year rule would be completely illegal, except that the NBA managed to get the union to go along with it. This is another case of David Stern's use of the player's union to bypass the antitrust laws.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:

Here is a serious question that none of us can really answer: Do the college coaches really matter to the kids, or are they just creations of the ex-coaches who dominate the TV networks? Coach K might matter to some kids, and the same is true for a couple others.

But let's suppose that Sammy Jammer at Saint Michael's Prep in Urbanville is presented with the following choice:

1. Go to Kansas for a year with Bill Self, play basketball without pay under the college rules, and pretend to be a student athlete

2. Go play for the Austin Toros, make $50,000, and play basketball under the NBA rules

I'm thinking that Bill Self doesn't seem that important to Sammy. Playing for the Toros as a professional would probably be at least equal if not substantially better in terms of player development.

In reality, the D League doesn't pay $50k. I think the average pay is around $17k. In order to make this work, the NBA would need to find a way to pay the equivalent of the signing bonuses that are given to the top high school baseball prospects, or something along those lines.

Here's the rub though, if an NBA team is going to pay a substantial amount to draw a young college recruit away from college, they may as well put him on their roster instead of the D-League.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Sure, but let's remember that the source of the one-year rule is the NBA, not the NCAA or anyone who gives a flip about the well being of the kids. The NBA got sick of seeing its teams fork over large amounts of money to unproven kids coming out of high school. Yes, there is truth in the NBA's stated reason: that they wanted their rookies to have been exposed to the national media for a year to help with the NBA's own marketing. But more than anything else, they were sick of paying millions of dollars to kids who never cut it in the NBA.

The one-year rule would be completely illegal, except that the NBA managed to get the union to go along with it. This is another case of David Stern's use of the player's union to bypass the antitrust laws.

I feel like there was more marketing potential with the unproven high schoolers. The hype around Kobe made him an All-Star when he was a 6th Man for the Lakers. People came out to see what the fuss was about. That doesn't happen with college stars like Jimmer or JJ Redick or even Kyrie Irving, unless they actually put up big time numbers in the pros.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

Either make it like the NFL or none. I support none. One year thing was stupid from the beginning.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Here's the rub though, if an NBA team is going to pay a substantial amount to draw a young college recruit away from college, they may as well put him on their roster instead of the D-League.

That's what I meant by the highlighted language. It would defeat the purpose if we let NBA teams sign kids out of high school, or if we had a separate high school draft. It would need to be something, frankly, that resembles a college scholarship. For example, the NBA could fund $25k in signing bonuses per D league team. Under that system, the Erie Bay Hawks could offer Andrew Wiggins $25k (in addition to the regular D league salary) to play a year in the D league instead of going to Kansas. Or they could spread it around. Heck, this would be a moneymaker for some of those teams. On top of that, the kids would be able to sign with agents and do other stuff on the side to make a little money.

If properly implemented, this would put John Calipari out of business. Many kids would still go to college, because they choose to go to college or because they think that they aren't ready for pro ball. This works just fine in baseball.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I made this same argument a few months back. The NCAA is an exploitative system, and AH's comment about people wanting to tell the kids (who are legally adults) what's best for them is completely true.

I agree, and the NBA can make things change. But it would take money. Why not a minor league like baseball? Pay the kids $75,000 a season to play (with the NBA kicking in supplementary relief), and let the teams draft them out of high school like MLB does. If they go undrafted, they can go to college and then apply for the college draft. Cities I have visited with minor league MLB teams go crazy over them and they are a valuable part of the community. An NBA minor league could be no different.

Who would lose in a setup like that? Not colleges, they would still field basketball teams and the fans would still attend. I was in Wichita last week and while the Shockers have little in the way of NBA talent, they are the biggest thing in that community. Residents identify with the college, not the players. The big loser would be the NCAA, and as GT has posted above, they are exploiting the hell of out these kids. So if they see their gravy train ending, F them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: