Lakers in the News 3/2/14: More Provocative PJ Talk --- Kobe Warns NBA Opponents Lakers 'Revenge Will Be Sweet'

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 3/2/14: More Provocative PJ Talk --- Kobe Warns NBA Opponents Lakers 'Revenge Will Be Sweet'

Quote:
Kobe Bryant Warns NBA Opponents Lakers 'Revenge Will Be Sweet' [VIDEO]
By by Glenn Minnis | Mar 02, 2014 11:16 AM EST
TAGS:kobe bryant, pau gasol, l.a. lakers, NBA

Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant is unsure if he'll return in 2014. (Photo : Reuters)
With five NBA titles in hand, Kobe Bryant knows the look of a winner.

While conceding this year's version of the L.A. Lakers are nowhere near that level, Bryant is vowing that the organization will again soon have their day.

"Next year it ain't going to be this way," Bryant told LakersNation.com. "Appreciate it now because revenge is sweet and it's quick."

Although Bryant continues to insist he will return to the court as quickly as possible and perhaps even this season as he rehabs from a knee injury, the Hall of Fame veteran seemed to have his eye on next season as he made his boldest predictions.

The contracts of at least 10 of the players on this year's 15 man Lakers roster are in end the final year of their contracts this, including veteran center Pau Gasol, who earns nearly $20 million in salary this season. With all the money off the books and the team free to use it to entice other star players to team with a hopefully by then healthy Bryant, the Lakers are confident they can quickly rebound.

http://www.sportsworldnews.com/articles/10028/20140302/kobe-bryant-warns-nba-opponents-lakers-revenge-will-sweet-video.htm

Last edited by Cha*n on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:26 pm; edited 5 times in total
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

if kobe does not get hurt...

Last edited by deal on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Inconvenient Truth For Kobe Bryant And the Los Angeles Lakers

BY MIKE DEMOOR - MAR 2ND, 2014 AT 10:01 AM

Kobe Bryant has seen the rise and fall of an empire.

His first couple of seasons he came off the bench, learning from Eddie Jones, a fantastic two-way player who made three All-Star teams, three Second-Team All-Defensive Teams and one All-NBA Third Team.

During his first two seasons, Bryant shared the court with Shaquille O’Neal, Nick Van Exel, Elden Campbell and fellow youngster Derek Fisher. Both years, the Los Angeles Lakers were very successful during the regular season, but couldn’t break through come playoff time.

In his third season, which was the lockout-shortened 1998-99 season, Bryant started all 50 games, but the Lakers underachieved. Despite flaunting a roster that included O’Neal, Bryant, Jones, Glen Rice, Rick Fox, Dennis Rodman, Derek Harper and Fisher, the Lakers were swept in the second round of the playoffs by the eventual champs, the San Antonio Spurs.

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/03/02/inconvenient-truth-kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Nash Afraid Of Being Released From Los Angeles Lakers

March 2, 2014 9:54 am EST by Scott Groff

D. Clarke Evans-Getty Images
In a recent episode of Grantland.com’s “Finish Line,” which documents Steve Nash‘s injury struggles, he learns of the NBA‘s Stretch Provision rule. This rule states a team can waive a player signed under the new CBA and then spread the remaining salary over twice the remaining length of the contract, plus one year.
So, this allows the Los Angeles Lakers to release Nash this summer and instead of having $9.7 million on their cap next season, it would shrink to $3.23 million over the course of the next three years, giving them more cap space to sign free agents. In the episode, he actually called up his agent Bill Duffy, wanting to make sure he got the provision clarified, and his worst fears were confirmed.
Nash admittedly stated that he is in danger of this scenario materializing, and if he is indeed released he will retire, remarking he wouldn’t sign on with another team because of the need to stay with his kids full time in Los Angeles. He has been seen working even harder to attempt one last miracle comeback, continuing to believe he can still one day play at a high level despite serious nerve damage to his body.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/03/02/steve-nash-afraid-of-being-released-from-los-angeles-lakers/?hOsVd7FWRAIty8TD.99
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Xavier Henry makes second D-Fenders appearance, has 19 points in loss

By Eric Pincus
March 2, 2014, 7:41 a.m.

Xavier Henry made his second appearance with the D-Fenders (20-15) on Saturday night, scoring 19 points in a 137-126 overtime loss to the Legends (17-22) in Texas.

The Lakers assigned Henry to the NBA Development League on Thursday as part of the 6-foot-6 swingman's rehabilitation from a knee injury.

Henry was injured in a Lakers' loss on Dec. 29 to the Philadelphia 76ers, suffering a bone bruise and abnormality of the lateral meniscus.

Former Lakers guard Manny Harris scored 30 points for the D-Fenders, including a layup in the final moments of regulation to force overtime.
Jae Crowder, on assignment to the Legends from the Dallas Mavericks, notched a triple-double with 22 points, 14 rebounds and 10 assists.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-xavier-henry-d-fenders-20140301,0,2551229.story#ixzz2upjlZdOY
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe Bryant Pays Tribute To Allen Iverson On Instagram

Posted by: Matthew Moreno Posted date: March 02, 2014 In: News |

The Philadelphia 76ers retired Allen Iverson’s iconic No. 3 jersey on Saturday, which was accompanied by several current and former players sending out congratulatory messages over various social media platforms. One of which was Kobe Bryant, who thanked Iverson via his personal Instagram account, for pushing the Lakers’ guard to raise the level of his game:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kobe-bryant-pays-tribute-to-allen-iverson-on-instagram/2014/03/02/
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

The Lakers, are gonna dominate the league next year, depending on what happens with the draft and FA... Kobe is spot on... let the NBA enjoy there happiness of the Lakers struggles.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject:

It will be sweet indeed.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject:

Maybe, maybe not--but that's just who Kobe is. He's not going to approach the game with the attitude of, "Yeah, it was fun while it lasted, but now I'm just going to roll over and die."
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

Kobe may be in for an unpleasant surprise as he will very likely have to wait longer than this next season for the Lakers to even be close to contending, that is according to Mitch (not to mention the reality of the situation)......

Pau Gasol remains a Laker as Mitch Kupchak mulls team's future
NBA trading deadline: Lakers, unable to trade Pau Gasol, are headed for lottery draft pick and might have long wait for Kevin Love or Kevin Durant.

Mitch is saying he's not likely to use that much of the "immense cape space" for next year... rather is looking two to three years ahead (see bolded comments below from above link)....

Lakers not at all interested in Melo nor are they excited about Lowry....

Lakers still might consider Pau if the price is right of course....

Note below: A Suns deal involving Gasol and Okafor/pick could not be reached because Gasol would not assure the Suns he would stay with them.... (see comments below)

from link wrote:
Here's the problem: The Lakers don't know what they can get this summer. If LeBron James opts out of his contract, they'll make a phone call, but it's a longshot he'll leave Miami for the Lakers.

The Lakers are not interested in possible free agent Carmelo Anthony, who claims he won't break the New York Knicks' bank to stay with them. The Lakers also aren't looking intently at point guard Kyle Lowry, who becomes a free agent this summer, according to a person familiar with the situation.

They do like Cleveland forward Luol Deng but don't want to overpay for him this summer, meaning their eyes are firmly on Kevin Love in July 2015 and Kevin Durant in 2016.

You can almost hear Kupchak drift away to those seemingly far-off years.

"I don't think that we'll use our cap money to patch together a team for next year. We're looking to bring something [big] to Los Angeles," he said. "May take more than one year to build, I don't know. But because we have a lot of money this summer doesn't mean we'll spend it all. We'll spend it wisely.

"And if we can't, then we'll do the best we can this summer and we'll look maybe to the next summer.
We don't know who's going to be free, we don't who's going to opt in and who's going to opt out, so there's a lot of unknown. But all you can do is be in position and we feel we are positioned well for opportunity."

Bryant might have something to say about the Lakers' future, Kupchak said in a lighter moment Thursday, acknowledging that, "I'm sure he'll tell me the players he'll like to have."

Maybe Gasol, 33, is part of that future, a tough-to-envision outcome even though Kupchak says the Lakers will "absolutely" entertain thoughts of re-signing him in July. "No grudges. No hard feelings," Gasol said. "I'm just glad there are teams that are interested in me."

The Lakers tried to peddle him, hoping Phoenix would take him for Emeka Okafor's expiring contract and a relatively high first-round draft pick. But Gasol, through his representatives, never gave the Suns a guarantee he would re-sign with them when he became a free agent this summer.

Note: Blake could end up returning the the Lakers, which should make Kobe happy presumably.... also the Lakers did try to deal Jordan Hill but there were no takers.... (see bolded comments below)

from link wrote:
Meanwhile, Blake was in the middle of a career year, averaging 9.5 points and 7.6 assists when he was sent to Golden State for Kent Bazemore and MarShon Brooks, who have combined to average 4.9 points and 0.7 assists. All three players become free agents after this season, with Blake, 33, already saying he welcomes a return to the Lakers.

Brooks, 25, is with his fourth franchise in only his third NBA season, his reputation as an inaccurate gunner traveling with him wherever he goes and making Bazemore the more intriguing player to monitor.

Bazemore, 24, was a hit on the Warriors' summer league team last July, including a 26-point game against the Lakers' entry. He comes with a nose for strong defense outdone only by his work ethic.

"No doubt a tough day seeing Kent Bazemore go," guard Stephen Curry wrote on Twitter. "Gave everything 2 the team and true Warrior. I'm his biggest fan!"

The Lakers had discussions with a handful of teams about high-energy power forward Jordan Hill, but nothing materialized. Hill, 26, is averaging 8.5 points and seven rebounds in only 19.6 minutes. He is a free agent in July.

Kobe may not agree with the Lakers FO approach but I think he is going to find out that LAKERS ARE GOING TO TAKE THE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT!!!!!.... the fact remains that there is just not that much available for the Lakers that would make them a serious contender until at least after the 2015 and most likely even after the 2016 season at which time Kobe's contract will have expired hence requiring Kobe to likely have to take a contract extension that includes a serious pay-cut if he want to be a part of that scene....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
Maybe, maybe not--but that's just who Kobe is. He's not going to approach the game with the attitude of, "Yeah, it was fun while it lasted, but now I'm just going to roll over and die."

Exactly. I think it's gonna take more than 1 off-season for the Lakers to really get back on top, and be in a position where they can get revenge on all the naysayers. And I suspect the logical part of Kobe's brain knows this too.

But I love his attitude. That's what franchise players/leaders do. They're give it everything they have, even if they won't win; they don't just gonna capitulate.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure about the Lakers being able to compete for a title. I know that's doubtful.

However, I don't doubt that the Lakers can make some noise and get past the first round. Maybe even make it to the Conference Finals.

I don't bet against Kobe. I admire that competitive spirit too much. I'll be rooting the whole time for him to shut up doubters; especially the ones here.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers in the News 3/2/14: Kobe Bryant Warns NBA Opponents Lakers 'Revenge Will Be Sweet'

Cha*n wrote:
Quote:

Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant is unsure if he'll return in 2014. (Photo : Reuters)

While conceding this year's version of the L.A. Lakers are nowhere near that level, Bryant is vowing that the organization will again soon have their day.

"Next year it ain't going to be this way," Bryant told LakersNation.com. "Appreciate it now because revenge is sweet and it's quick."

Although Bryant continues to insist he will return to the court as quickly as possible and perhaps even this season as he rehabs from a knee injury, the Hall of Fame veteran seemed to have his eye on next season as he made his boldest predictions.

The contracts of at least 10 of the players on this year's 15 man Lakers roster are in end the final year of their contracts this, including veteran center Pau Gasol, who earns nearly $20 million in salary this season. With all the money off the books and the team free to use it to entice other star players to team with a hopefully by then healthy Bryant, the Lakers are confident they can quickly rebound.

http://www.sportsworldnews.com/articles/10028/20140302/kobe-bryant-warns-nba-opponents-lakers-revenge-will-sweet-video.htm

an OLD lion barks more then he can hunt. Chillax to home kobe, work out and then let ur actions do the talking
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Xavier Henry back from injury
Updated: March 2, 2014, 4:46 PM ET
By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- After missing more than two months of game action because of a right knee injury, Xavier Henry will make his return when the Los Angeles Lakers go on the road to play the Portland Trail Blazers on Monday.

"I'm pain free and feel good," Henry said Sunday after going through a full-contact practice with the Lakers. "But it's about my wind and body and being heavier than I was and trying to eat right and trying to get back into shape."

Henry flew back to L.A. on Sunday morning after a two-game rehabilitation stint in Frisco, Texas, playing with the Lakers' D-League affiliate. Henry averaged 17.0 points on 38.2 percent shooting, 2.0 rebounds and 3.5 steals in 24.5 minutes in two games with the D-Fenders.

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said that Henry has to shed some excess weight as he works his way back into the rotation. Henry said it's only "a couple of pounds."

"It's not a lot of pounds," Henry said. "But there's a difference from my legs being strong and carrying my body and my legs being off two months and I have to get my legs strong to carry everything I do. I'm pretty aggressive. I cut and run real hard. Things like that, my legs have to be strong to do that. I haven't been able to do that. Now I have to get my legs back."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10542222/los-angeles-lakers-xavier-henry-set-rejoin-lineup-injury
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Phil Jackson Q&A: 'Jesus could probably coach' Lakers
Sam Amick, USA TODAY Sports 7:51 p.m. EST March 2, 2014

(Photo: Jayne Kamin-Oncea, USA TODAY Sports)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Former Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson says NBA chances still intrigue him
11-time champion coach says he is fine with not retaking Lakers job last season despite candidacy
Former player says health issues are doing better right now but still might require procedures

BOSTON — No one has forgotten about Phil Jackson.

That much is clear as he enters this Four Seasons breakfast spot during his visit to the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.

With that familiar frame filling the doorway, the greatest coach in NBA history makes the long and classically slow walk to a table overlooking Boston's historic Public Garden. Almost immediately, the heads start to turn. The waiter, who has apparently forgiven Jackson for beating the Boston Celtics in the 2010 NBA Finals that was one of his many crowning moments, approaches as if addressing royalty.

"Good morning," he says. "What can I get you, Mr. Jackson?"

ON SHAQ: 'Clown' broke up Laker run

ON RODMAN: Last player Phil wanted

He'll have a salmon bagel and a latte at the moment, thank you very much. But as the 68-year-old 11-time champion coach would discuss with USA TODAY Sports in the 45 minutes that followed, he may still have an appetite for much more when it comes to a possible return to the NBA.

As Jackson knows better than anyone, he can't poke his head out of his retirement hole without re-sparking the conversation that has surrounded him for more than two decades now. So when he made an appearance as a guest speaker at the Sloan Conference over the weekend, granting the request of his bride-to-be (Los Angeles Lakers executive Jeanie Buss) and squeezing it into his schedule ahead of the bachelor party getaway in Montana with his youngest son this week, the chatter began anew about when and where we may see the Zen Master in action again.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/03/02/phil-jackson-qa-coaching-returning-los-angeles-lakers-jeanie-buss/5945745/
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject:

He said something similar after losing in '11. It's been 5 years. If he took $15 to $18 million, there might have been a real chance at a revenge. A good season next year will be making it as a 7th or 8th seed.
mambomamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers in the News 3/2/14: Kobe Bryant Warns NBA Opponents Lakers 'Revenge Will Be Sweet'

Jim99187 wrote:
Cha*n wrote:
Quote:

an OLD lion barks more then he can hunt. Chillax to home kobe, work out and then let ur actions do the talking

yup hate individuals who talk and talk rather than let their actions do the talking, actions speak louder than words

newsflash the past does not equal the future

what you accomplished in the past may be remarkable but it doesnt mean you will surely continue that trend
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:

Lawlz @ some of these responses.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

I don't bet against Kobe. I admire that competitive spirit too much. I'll be rooting the whole time for him to shut up doubters; especially the ones here.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject:

What revenge is this that Kobe speaks of? Mitch himself has already said we are not spending money this off season, so basically who will be coming here to play with Kobe for the 2014-2015 season? We prolly might hang around the 8 seed or whatever, but we aint winning crap!!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: