***Official*** 2014 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

I think the OT rules will change next season. After a TD the opposing team will get a shot to score.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

If you kick a field goal when the ball is on the one inch line, u dont deserve to win. Pure and simple.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
Damn, I hate the Pats.
Not a huge Seattle fan either, but they are the lesser of 2 evils

Do we over here, different sport or not, really want the Boston area to win a title? I never want those bostonbakedbeaneaters to be happy. Those clamchowdachuggers. Gotta go with Seattle, though their team is nox. Russell with his God sh, I strained my eyes rolling them back and forth.

I feel you on this 100%. The "God is good" stuff these dudes were spewing post-game was nauseating. Don't want to get this thread off the rails, but come on now... Are the Packers a bunch of devil worshippers? LOL The "us against the world" rants are lame. Ugh.... At least we should get some good commercials SB Sunday.

That "us against the world" trash is ridiculous. These ass hats were heavily favored going into the game. Just shut the (bleep) up and play.

Bunch of miserable coozes couldn't even cover against a 1 legged Rodgers at home. Thank God Tom saved the rest of my Sunday. Even better than in the hole!

I'm a Seahawks fan and very glad they made the comeback (even though it had more to do with Green Bay than Seattle), but the post-game interviews annoyed the heck out of me. Even though praising God is stupid in that situation, Wilson didn't bother me that much. He didn't go on and on about Jesus being his savior and all that stuff, ala Kurt Warner. He really did the minimum God praise. It was actually Doug Baldwin's nonsensical and downright annoying postgame comments that bothered me the most, in which he just went on and on and on and on, as if that game will determine the fate of Western civilization. He lost all perspective. And even though they made the comeback, it's not as if the deficit was 30 points in the 4th quarter. They were two scores down and benefited a lot from Green Bay imploding. All perspective was lost by some Seahawks players. With that said, I still want them to beat the Patriots, but I'm expecting a lot more of that stuff, particularly if they win a close game.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

I can understand Russell Wilson in tears after the game, he played terrible most of the game, and their defense kept them in the game which they had no business winning. A couple of lucky breaks and terrible play calling by Green Bay and they were able to get the victory most people expected.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Amazing that as conservative as GB played on offense, they took insane gambles on defense. On that touchdown pass late in the fourth quarter, they played the free safety in, (no man high/zone 0). Stupid for a couple of reasons, the most obvious was that if the CB gets beat by a receiver it is a touchdown, the second is that they didn't even disguise the coverage making it easy for Wilson to read the defense and change the play via the audible. If you're going to be that crazy, you send a linebacker to blitz or close to the line on the strong side and have the safety move into the vacated linebacker's coverage on the snap.

Bro knows football.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
He didn't go on and on about Jesus being his savior and all that stuff, ala Kurt Warner.

Oh, man. Footballers are different from the rest. You won't find a more colorful collection of prima donnas and hypocrites in any other sport. It must be like Sunday congregation in some of those locker rooms. I'm just glad God is a football fanatic. That he's being their personal saviour while the rest of the world crumbles.

Murica...............................................................................
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
Damn, I hate the Pats.

Do we over here, different sport or not, really want the Boston area to win a title? I never want those bostonbakedbeaneaters to be happy. Those clamchowdachuggers. Gotta go with Seattle, though their team is nox. Russell with his God sh, I strained my eyes rolling them back and forth.

I feel you on this 100%. The "God is good" stuff these dudes were spewing post-game was nauseating. Don't want to get this thread off the rails, but come on now... Are the Packers a bunch of devil worshippers? LOL The "us against the world" rants are lame. Ugh.... At least we should get some good commercials SB Sunday.

That "us against the world" trash is ridiculous. These ass hats were heavily favored going into the game. Just shut the (bleep) up and play.

Bunch of miserable coozes couldn't even cover against a 1 legged Rodgers at home. Thank God Tom saved the rest of my Sunday. Even better than in the hole!

I'm a Seahawks fan and very glad they made the comeback (even though it had more to do with Green Bay than Seattle), but the post-game interviews annoyed the heck out of me. Even though praising God is stupid in that situation, Wilson didn't bother me that much. He didn't go on and on about Jesus being his savior and all that stuff, ala Kurt Warner. He really did the minimum God praise. It was actually Doug Baldwin's nonsensical and downright annoying postgame comments that bothered me the most, in which he just went on and on and on and on, as if that game will determine the fate of Western civilization. He lost all perspective. And even though they made the comeback, it's not as if the deficit was 30 points in the 4th quarter. They were two scores down and benefited a lot from Green Bay imploding. All perspective was lost by some Seahawks players. With that said, I still want them to beat the Patriots, but I'm expecting a lot more of that stuff, particularly if they win a close game.

Baldwin took a shot at Deion Sanders as well

Great idea, take a shot at HOF CB who has a voice on national TV.

It honestly looked like he copied Sherman's post game rant from last years NFCC. Sherman is arguably theist CB in the league, so it's absorbed differently by the mainstream.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
Damn, I hate the Pats.

If she was divorcing you, you might be thanking Jesus too. Use > to navigate the link

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:

^^ heh heh
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
Damn, I hate the Pats.

I'm just salty they couldn't cover. I had -7.5 on Seattle at home. Figured it was a sure thing against a 1 legged Rodgers. Who woulda thought Wilson would have been historically bad in the first half. Dang...it.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Maybe there was a reason why that loss happened the way it did for the Packers...

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/01/21/brother-of-green-bay-packers-coach-mike-mccarthy-passes-away/

Quote:
Brother Of Green Bay Packers Coach Mike McCarthy Passes Away

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – An especially heartbreaking week turned tragic Wednesday after Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy’s brother passed away.
KDKA-TV has learned that 47-year-old Pine Township attorney Joe McCarthy passed away after collapsing at a local gym.
The medical examiner says McCarthy was taken to UPMC Passavant hospital in McCandless where he was pronounced dead this morning.
An autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow.
McCarthy is a former state Deputy Attorney General.
Packers head coach Mike McCarthy is a Greenfield native.
McCarthy cancelled his post-season press conference today due to personal matters.
He was hired as head coach of the Packers in 2006, and won Super Bowl XLV in 2010 over the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The Packers lost a heartbreaking game to the Seattle Seahawks just Sunday in the NFC Championship.
No funeral arrangements have been announced.
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Check this video out, it's too funny! NFL 2015--Bad lip reading:

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/24/report-colts-lb-andrew-jackson-arrested-on-suspicion-of-dui/

Quote:
Report: Colts LB Andrew Jackson arrested on suspicion of DUI

A Colts player was reportedly cited for a potential DUI charge.

According to Fox 59 in Indianapolis, inside linebacker Andrew Jackson was cited for suspicion of DUI and reckless driving early Friday morning in Kentucky. He was released later in the day, per the report.

A sixth-round pick of the Colts in the 2014 draft, the 22-year-old Jackson appeared in 13 regular season games and all three playoff contests for Indianapolis as a reserve. He played collegiately at Western Kentucky.

Per NFL guidelines, Jackson could face league discipline, depending upon the outcome of the case.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
If you kick a field goal when the ball is on the one inch line, u dont deserve to win. Pure and simple.

Hope the NFL incorporates the thinner goal posts and extra points from the 15 yard line. Make kicking more important as well as more teams going for it on 4th down. And either get rid of the kickoffs or kick it further back so there are more run backs. These rule changes would make things less predictable and less boring.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/29/dick-vermeil-recalls-how-the-marshall-faulk-trade-went-down/

Quote:
Dick Vermeil recalls how the Marshall Faulk trade went down

Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 29, 2015, 10:19 PM EST

On Thursday’s PFT Live, former Rams head coach Dick Vermeil recalled how the pivotal 1999 trade for future Hall of Fame tailback Marshall Faulk came together.

As Vermeil told it, supply, demand and a good rapport with then-Colts coach Jim Mora were the catalysts for the deal, which netted Indianapolis second- and fifth-round picks and St. Louis one of the most versatile backs of all time.

“They wanted our draft choice, and we wanted Marshall Faulk, and Jim Mora was the head coach there,” Vermeil said Thursday. “Jim and I worked together at Stanford as young assistants. Jim was my linebacker coach at UCLA, so we had a relationship.

“There was no BS in talking and negotiation and game-playing between Jim and I. Our presidents and general managers did a lot of talking and discussing and working out details, but the final decision came down between Jim and I, and we got it done, that’s all.

“And it worked great for us. It worked great for Marshall Faulk. They got the running back they wanted out of Miami who had a great career for them, Edgerrin James, had great success. They already had a great quarterback who was really starting to come on in Peyton [Manning].

“So they got what they wanted. We got we wanted.”

Added Vermeil: “The same trade today would cost a lot more.”

Vermeil’s final thought is especially interesting. In hindsight, the Rams didn’t pay a high price at all for a tailback tailor-made for their offense.

On the other hand, the tailback position perhaps isn’t valued as it was in 1999. Were a similar trade made now, it would likely draw no shortage of dissenters suggesting giving up a second-round pick — a player under club control for four seasons — would be a mistake for a running back entering his sixth NFL season, as Faulk was 16 years ago.

Nevertheless, it’s a fun topic to ponder. Clearly, the Rams made the right call. The question is, when will another club take a big swing in the trade market for a tailback — especially after the Colts’ deal for Trent Richardson didn’t work out?
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Hope the NFL incorporates the thinner goal posts and extra points from the 15 yard line. Make kicking more important as well as more teams going for it on 4th down. And either get rid of the kickoffs or kick it further back so there are more run backs. These rule changes would make things less predictable and less boring.

But, what about tradition?!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/31/report-49ers-told-jim-harbaugh-of-dismissal-after-loss-at-seattle-in-december/

Quote:
Report: 49ers informed Jim Harbaugh of dismissal after loss at Seattle in December

At the conclusion of the 49ers’ regular-season finale vs. Arizona, the club announced it would be parting ways with head coach Jim Harbaugh by mutual agreement.

However, a published report Saturday indicates Harbaugh had been previously told he would not be returning.

Citing multiple unnamed sources, Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News reported the 49ers told Harbaugh after the December 14 loss at Seattle that he would not coach the team in 2015.

The 17-7 loss to the Seahawks dropped the 49ers to 7-7 and eliminated San Francisco from playoff contention.

The report of Harbaugh being told in-season that he would not be back is reminiscent of the 49ers dismissing Mike Singletary with one game left in 2010, right after the club was knocked out of postseason contention. However, in that case, the 49ers tabbed an interim coach, with Jim Tomsula replacing Singletary for Week 17.

Tomsula was hired as Harbaugh’s full-time replacement in January. By then, Harbaugh had become head coach at Michigan
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Ann Mara, the matriarch of the NY Giants dead at 85

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ann-mara-matriarch-ny-giants-dead-85-article-1.2099338?utm_content=buffer4811d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDNSportsTw

Quote:
Ann Mara, the matriarch of the NY Giants, dead at 85
Mara, the co-owner of the Giants since her husband, Wellington, passed away more than nine years ago, died of complications from a head injury she suffered on Jan. 18 when she slipped on ice in front of her Rye, N.Y. home.

Ann Mara, the often-feisty First Lady of the Giants, died early Sunday morning. She was 85.

Mara, the co-owner of the Giants since her husband, Wellington, passed away more than nine years ago, died of complications from a head injury she suffered on Jan. 18 when she slipped on ice in front of her Rye, N.Y. home. The family was "hopeful for her recovery," her son, John Mara said, but "unfortunately there were complications."

"I am sad to say that our mother has passed away," John said in a statement released by the team. "She has been the leader of our family in every way, and we will miss her dearly.

"She loved her family, and all of us were able to spend time with her in these final days. All 11 of her children and our spouses and numerous grandchildren were with her when she passed away."

"Mrs. Mara was a tower of strength, dignity and inspiration for her family and all of us in the NFL," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "Her family and the Giants organization have always reflected Mrs. Mara's competitive spirit, integrity and wonderful sense of humor."

Ann Mara had been a part of the Giants family since she married Wellington in 1954, and behind the scenes everyone in the Giants knew about her "competitive spirit" and sense of humor. The world didn't see that, though, until the moments after the 2011 NFC championship game in San Francisco during the trophy presentation in the cramped, post-game locker room.

Fresh off her team's 20-17 overtime victory over the 49ers, Ann Mara accosted Fox broadcaster (and Hall of Fame quarterback) Terry Bradshaw by poking him on live TV and pointedly saying "You never pick the Giants!" An embarrassed Bradshaw apologized, saying "I know. I know. I'm sorry."

And with that, Ann Mara instantly became a legend to a new generation of Giants fans. But John Mara already knew how defensive of the Giants his mother could be. After the Giants' miserable 7-9 season in 2013, he was jokingly asked by a reporter if his job was safe. His answer: "Not according to my mother."

Then, in December, when he was reviewing this 6-10 season, he was asked what his mother had to say about the season.

"She is not very happy with me right now, believe me," Mara said. "She suffers through this probably even more so than I do. I am on notice as well."

She was much more than just a demanding boss and Giants fan, though. Ann and Wellington raised four sons and seven daughters and had 43 grandchildren and 16 great grand-children. Three of her sons are in Giants management, including John, the CEO; Chris, the senior VP of player evaluation; and Frank, the VP of community relations.

According to the Giants, Ann Mara also was a strong supporter of many charities, especially education organizations. The team listed Convent of the Sacred Heart, Inner City Scholarship Fund, Boys Hope Girls Hope, and Life Athletes as among her favorites. She also supported the Ronald McDonald House of New York, which helped children with cancer.

And last year, just before Super Bowl XLVIII was played in her team's home stadium, she received the Paul Tagliabue Award of Excellence from the Fritz Pollard Alliance. The award is presented to a league or team executive "who demonstrates the integrity and leadership Tagliabue exhibited in career development opportunities for minority candidates and advocacy for diversity on the league and club level."

"On behalf of my mother and sister and brother, I want to express our sympathy to John and the Mara family," said Giants co-owner Steve Tisch, son of the late Bob Tisch. "Ann Mara has been the wonderful matriarch of our franchise. Like her husband Wellington, Ann was passionate about her faith, her family and her football team. Her energy and enthusiasm for her franchise were unmatched. We will miss her and are deeply saddened for the Mara family's loss."
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

But, what about tradition?!

Good question. IMO, that went out the window when they expanded the regular season from 14 to 16 games. At that point, all-time stats from a traditional standpoint lost its meaning. I believe MLB needs to adjust their game too. Either have both leagues DH or none. At least make it the same game for every team and player. NL and AL players aren't even on the same statistical playing field. That's sad when tradition in MLB is almost solely predicated on players career stats. Anyway, the point is that tradition in sports went out the window a long time ago. Might as well reset the game rules where it would make for a better, more exciting game.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Browns sign McCown. Hopefully, frat boy Johnny is without a job in a few years.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/28/report-rita-benson-leblanc-grabbed-shook-gayle-benson-before-december-game/

Quote:
Report: Rita Benson LeBlanc grabbed, shook Gayle Benson before December game

The Benson Family Feud features hard feelings and strong opinions and high stakes and plenty of lawyers, sparked by Saints owner Tom Benson’s decision to re-write his will in a way that altered the succession plan for his NFL and NBA franchises. A new report indicates that the change from Benson’s daughter and her two children to Benson’s current wife was sparked by a December confrontation between Rita Benson LeBlanc (right in the photo) and Gayle Benson (left).

According to Jeff Duncan of the New Orleans Times Picayune, LeBlanc (Mr. Benson’s granddaughter, who previously was pegged to run the Saints after his passing) and Gayle Benson (Mr. Benson’s third wife) had a disagreement in the presence of others in a suite at the Superdome before the Week 16 game against the Falcons. Duncan reports that LeBlanc was the aggressor, and that she eventually “grabbed Gayle Benson by both shoulders and shook the then-67-year-old repeatedly during a confrontation that lasted several minutes.”

“[Rita] was shaking [Gayle] to emphasize her point and to be heard,” a source who witnessed the incident told Duncan. “It was pretty ugly.”

Duncan reports that, six days after the encounter, Mr. Benson “mailed a letter to [daughter] Renee Benson, Rita Benson LeBlanc and [grandson] Ryan LeBlanc telling them he never wanted to see them again and banning them from his business operations.”

In January, Mr. Benson finalized the change to his will that shifts ownership of the Saints and the NBA’s Pelicans to Gayle Benson after his passing. That move prompted a lawsuit from Renee Benson, Rita Benson LeBlanc, and Ryan LeBlanc challenging his mental capacity to alter his plans for the future control of the teams.

While the incident between LeBlanc and Benson has no direct relevance to the question of whether Mr. Benson had the appropriate mental capacity to alter his will, it helps explain why he made the decision — and it likely will prompt plenty of fans in New Orleans who haven’t chosen a side in the Benson Family Feud to side with Gayle Benson.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60
Page 60 of 60
Jump to: