Colts owner Jim Irsay arrested for DUI, possession of controlled substance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

Why is Irsay being given a pass? If this were a player the league would have done something, suspended, chastised, sent to rehab, something. Are owners punished differently?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/23/justice/indianapolis-colts-owner-charged/index.html

Quote:
Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay charged with impaired driving

Jim Irsay was arrested in March after police noticed him driving slowly, stopping in a roadway and failing to use his turn signal. The Colts owner has been charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated and possession of a controlled substance.
Jim Irsay was arrested in March after police noticed him driving slowly, stopping in a roadway and failing to use his turn signal. The Colts owner has been charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated and possession of a controlled substance.

NEW: NFL says its policies apply "to all league personnel," vows it'll take "appropriate action"
Jim Irsay is charged with driving while intoxicated, possession of a controlled substance
The Colts owner checked into a treatment facility a day after the March 16 incident
His legal team credits the prosecutor's office for not pressing felony charges

(CNN) -- Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay was charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated and possession of a controlled substance on Friday, just over two months after his arrest, a prosecutor said.
The misdemeanor charges filed Friday are pending in Hamilton County, Indiana, Superior Court, Prosecuting Attorney D. Lee Buckingham's office said in a press release. The drug was identified in a court filing as oxycodone and/or hydrocordone.
Irsay's initial hearing on both counts is scheduled for June 19.
The Colts owner and CEO's legal team, in a statement after the charges were announced, thanked the Hamilton County prosecutor's office "for its professionalism in its investigation." The statement pointed out that authorities determined that "the facts in this matter did not warrant the filing of felony charges relative to Mr. Irsay's prescription medications.
"Mr. Irsay will deal with the remaining misdemeanor charges through the judicial process," the statement added.
Team owners behaving badly Team owners behaving badly
Police in Carmel had earlier said that Irsay was stopped at 11:41 p.m. on March 16 for driving slowly, stopping in a roadway and failing to use his turn signal.
The probable cause affidavit indicates that the Colts owner's speech was "slow and slurred," his eyes were "red and glassy" and his balance was "very unsteady." He failed a number of field sobriety tests, had trouble reciting the alphabet and told an officer "that he was having a hard time finding his house."
In addition, a search of his vehicle found prescription drugs in bottles, police said in a press release. The drugs were not associated with any prescription bottles in the vehicle, according to police.
The next day, Irsay "voluntary checked into a highly respected health care facility," according to the Colts.
"(He) is committed committed to undergoing the treatment and care necessary to help him meet his challenges head-on," added the team.
Irsay is the first National Football League owner to face criminal charges since Eddie DeBartolo of the San Francisco 49ers was indicted on federal racketeering charges in 1997.
In that time, the league -- including its current commissioner, Roger Goodell -- have frequently punished players for off-the-field indiscretions that landed them in court.
It remains to be seen what will happen, then, to the 54-year-old Irsay, who has largely stayed out of the public spotlight -- except for regular tweets -- since his arrest.
In a brief statement Friday, the league said, "The NFL's Personal Conduct Policy applies to all league personnel and holds all of us accountable. We are reviewing the matter and will take appropriate action in accordance with the policy.
The Colts owner -- whose father, Robert Irsay, owned the team before him -- has spoken publicly about his struggles with substance abuse as well as his efforts to stay sober.
In a tweet last December, Jim Irsay said that he didn't drink: "(S)orry to ruin your theories ... but I don't drink ... at all," he posted on his official account.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Take it to trial.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11037343/jim-irsay-indianapolis-colts-owner-license-suspended-one-year

Quote:
Jim Irsay's license suspended 1 year

NOBLESVILLE, Ind. -- A court has suspended Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay's driver's license for one year following his arrest for driving while intoxicated.

The Indianapolis Star reports that recently released documents in Hamilton County confirm the license suspension effective starting May 27. Police and prosecutors have declined to discuss the case.

Irsay refused a blood test after his March 16 arrest in Carmel, a suburb of Indianapolis. Indiana law requires a one-year license suspension for refusing such a test. Police later obtained a warrant ordering Irsay to submit to a blood draw.

Irsay faces a June 19 initial hearing on two misdemeanor counts of impaired driving. A probable cause affidavit said Irsay was driving under the influence of powerful painkillers.

A message seeking comment was left with a spokeswoman for Irsay.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject:

Like I suspected a punishment that doesn't really mean a whole lot but I rather they just ban him from Twitter

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/07/report-league-insiders-expect-6-8-game-suspension-for-irsay/

Quote:
Report: League insiders expect 6-8 game suspension for Irsay

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has not yet handed down discipline to Colts owner Jim Irsay, who was arrested and currently faces charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. But there’s an expectation around the league that when Goodell does act, he’ll suspend Irsay for about half a season.

That’s the word from Adam Schefter of ESPN, who reported that people around the league believe Goodell will give Irsay a suspension of six to eight games and a fine of about $1 million.

We still don’t know what a suspension of an owner would constitute. Would Irsay just be prevented from attending games? Would he be banned from the team facility throughout the suspension? If he’s suspended during a meeting of NFL owners, would the Colts lose their vote? Would the Colts lose their share of the league’s TV revenues from those six to eight weeks, just as players who are suspended lose their salaries for those weeks? Losing half a season’s worth of revenue would be a whole lot more than a $1 million fine. A $1 million fine is a rounding error to a billionaire like Irsay.

Whatever Goodell decides, it’s sure to be hotly debated around the NFL. And if Goodell doesn’t come down hard on Irsay, he’s sure to face harsh criticism from the players who say he seems a lot more eager to punish players than owners.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/06/10/bob-kravitz-exclusive-colts-owner-jim-irsay-opens-up-about-alcoholism-addiction-and-more/10282707/

Quote:
Bob Kravitz exclusive: Jim Irsay opens up about alcoholism, addiction and more

His eyes are clear, clearer than before. His posture, which saw him stooped over like an old man, is much improved. His complexion, once red and blotchy, has been replaced by a healthy looking tan.

In his first extended interview since his DUI arrest in March, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay remained circumspect about what happened that night and what he's been through since then. But he addressed several topics on the record with The Star, which may or may not shed light on his current state of mind as he deals with the ongoing disease of addiction, not to mention the chronic pain he feels in his hip and lower back as a result of old injuries and surgeries.

"These diseases, both alcoholism and addiction, much like bipolar or depression and different illnesses, are still not seen as real diseases," Irsay said during a two-hour interview in his office Monday. "People shy away from seeking help because it's viewed as being somewhat morally off the path, that they've lost their way. I really think the disease aspect gets lost when you're talking about alcoholism and addiction; it's not like you're battling leukemia or a heart problem; it is that. But even in 2014, there's still this stigma.

"...That stigma gets carried forward and it's unfortunate because people die and families get affected and people don't seek treatment. It's an unusual disease in the sense that the person has to diagnose himself. He has to realize that there's this genetic disease you have to deal with through treatment. My grandfather and father both died of the disease, and you realize you've spent a lot of time on this path. Certainly, I have. But with the disease, surgery and pain management can be very tricky waters."

Irsay wouldn't get into specifics, but suffice to say, he believes that because of his significant pain issues he began to lose his way with pain medication. This is not very different from what's happened in the past, what happens with millions of people in this country who deal with chronic pain. One day, a single Vicodin does the trick. Down the road, it takes several Vicodin. And Oxycodone. And more. And next thing you know, you're in the throes of addiction once again.

After attending rehab in several spots around the country in recent months, Irsay acknowledges he is still on some pain medication for his hip and back, but he's having it closely monitored by his doctors, who will eventually wean him off those meds if the pain abates. (Which might require surgery, but that's a different story.) He also has agreed to random drug testing with the prosecutor's office, with those results being shared with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's office.

Meanwhile, Irsay says he has remained alcohol-free for more than a decade and continues to attend AA meetings around town and around the country.

"It's all been a blessing, just being able to focus on my health and redouble the efforts on recovery,'' Irsay said. "It's been a long path. I still have chronic pain. But it was the good thing… In some ways, (going through rehab) is my greatest moment. It takes courage to try and overcome the difficulties you have. For some reason, it's seen as unheroic. When someone beats cancer, it's like, `Wow, that's so heroic,' but when someone has this illness, it's treated like you're a leper because that person is morally corrupt, and that's not the case.

"... It's an ongoing thing in one's life when recovering from any disease. The disease never sleeps so you have to be proactive when dealing with it. But the journey is great because it forced you to grow spiritually. There's a lot of gratitude and spiritual growth. And it's rewarding because it makes you more virtuous when you have success."

Irsay describes the meds he is taking for pain as "the least invasive from an addiction standpoint and the most helpful from an orthopedic standpoint."

Of course, none of this answers some of the questions we wanted answered:

What exactly happened the night he was arrested? Was he addled on pain medication? Why did he fail field sobriety tests? Irsay declined to discuss the details for public consumption. (Sorry.)

What have his conversations with Goodell been like, and is there any credence to Adam Schefter's ESPN report that Irsay will be hit with a 6- to 8-game suspension and a $1 million fine? Again, he declined to discuss on the record.

Will he reach a plea deal or fight to clear his name? At this point, that's still all up in the air and between him and his lawyer, James Voyles.

There were other questions asked in his office Monday, but Irsay was understandably disinclined to answer them publicly. Two reasons: One, the case is still pending; two, recovery is a very private, personal thing.

He did, however, shed some light on some other subjects.

Like the 29 grand he had in his vehicle when he was arrested. Fact is, Irsay said, it's not unusual for him to have that kind of cash. Unafraid of making the point, he showed me a briefcase on his desk. When he opened it, I saw stacks and stacks of $100 bills.

"I don't know why that was leaked to the press or what it had to do with anything," he said. "You're talking about someone who is extremely generous, and I say that humbly. That's the way I try to live my life and it has nothing to do with the law. What's been reported out there, there's been a sensationalizing about things that have nothing to do with the law. It shouldn't be an issue."

He was asked what he would like to say to Colts fans who've been concerned about his welfare and his ability to run the franchise.

"I'd say my focus is on the season, my focus is on making the Colts the best team in the NFL," he said. "I'm completely engaged and have always been engaged, even when I was in rehab. Your paper acted like my kids were running the team and I was in some kind of coma and that's just not the truth."

Technically, his daughters stepped in to run the team in his absence. But Irsay said he was still very much engaged in the team's operations.

"You don't tell a player you can't monitor your investments for a month," he said. "There's no way you're going to have a billion-dollar investment and never fail to monitor it for a period of time.

"I would also say I'm deeply invested in continuing to make the Colts great. All my passion and efforts have been behind that. And I really appreciate all the support they've shown me writing letters, sending notes, people saying they wanted me to be healthy and ready to go, and that's where I'm at. I really appreciate everything. I've always felt like I had a personal relationship with fans. I'm not afraid to be emotional or vulnerable or humble. Mostly, though, I want to say that this journey we've been on, heading into another generation of greatness, I'm truly excited about this year and where we're at."

I asked him if he felt he needed to apologize, to Colts fans, to the league, to anybody.

"I don't think that's something I'll address right now," he said. "There are certain things I want to say that I can't say. We need to let the process go forward and I'll address that later. I'm a human being; if there's something I have to apologize for, I would, but at this point, it wouldn't be appropriate. It sets me up, like if you don't say you're sorry, then why aren't you saying you're sorry, and if you say you're sorry, then you must have done something wrong."

On whether an owner should be held to a higher standard than a player:

"Being an owner, I hold myself to the highest of standards. As a father, as a grandfather, as someone who by nature of their work has this public stage, my nature is to always take that standard seriously."

But should Goodell come down harder on an owner than he does on, say, a player who is charged with a DUI?

Irsay had an opinion, but not one he wanted to share with the public.

After all of this, he turns 55 years old Friday.

He smiled.

"I'd like to think I have many good years left," he said.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/09/jim-irsay-ordered-to-testify-in-child-custody-case/#comments

Quote:
Jim Irsay ordered to testify in child custody case

A father who does not want his children exposed to Colts owner Jim Irsay has successfully requested that a judge order Irsay to testify in a custody hearing.

The Indianapolis Star reports that Irsay has been ordered to testify in a case involving the children of a woman who lives in a home owned by Irsay. The woman’s ex-husband believes Irsay is a substance abuser who should not be around his children.

“As a father, I do not want my children subjected to this type of behavior and lifestyle,” Greg Martin wrote in a letter to the court, adding that “money does not buy morals or self-respect.”

Irsay was arrested and is still facing charges of impaired driving in connection with an incident on March 16, and Martin says that his children were with his ex-wife at the time, in the home that Irsay owns, just blocks away from where Irsay was arrested.

Martin says Irsay’s testimony “will shed light on the atmosphere my children are living in.” Martin also wants Irsay’s medical records “to verify any addictions that the minor children would be subjected to while being around Mr. Irsay.”

No date has been set for Irsay’s testimony
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/19/irsays-operating-while-intoxicated-trial-pushed-back/

Quote:
Irsay’s operating while intoxicated trial pushed back

Colts owner Jim Irsay may get his court date pushed back, but he’s expected to have to face charges while his team is playing this season.

According to the Indianapolis Star, Irsay’s court date on operating while intoxicated charges will likely come in late October or early November.

His attorney asked for a continuance, and the D.A. is not opposed to the move.

But before that one, he may have to appear at a conference involving the custody of two children who live with their mother in a million-dollar home Irsay paid for earlier this year.

The case was brought by the ex-husband of the mother, who said he was concerned about the safety of the children in Irsay’s presence.

“As a father, I do not want my children subjected to this type of behavior and lifestyle,” Greg Martin wrote in a letter to the court. He added that “money does not buy morals or self-respect.”

The league has only said that Irsay was “under review,” as many wonder whether they’ll apply the same firm standards to an owner as they do players.

The silence from New York as to whether that’s true seems deafening, but the delay at least gives Roger Goodell time to consider how to punish one of his 32 bosses.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/21/irsay-trial-postponed-to-october-30/

Quote:

Irsay trial postponed to October 30

Colts owner Jim Irsay has received a two-month reprieve in a court of law. That may not matter much in the Court of Goodell.

Per the Associated Press, a judge has postponed from August 28 until October 30 Irsay’s trial on misdemeanor charges of driving while intoxicated and driving with a Schedule I or II controlled substance in his body.

For a player with a first offense, the NFL typically would defer the imposition of discipline until after the criminal case is resolved. With the NFL hoping to show that owners are held to a higher standard, Commissioner Roger Goodell possibly will impose a suspension or other discipline on Irsay before the start of the 2014 regular season. Adam Schefter of ESPN previously reported that league insiders believe a six-to-eight-game suspension will be imposed.

And while that indeed would amount to a higher standard for owners, the NFL has declined to address whether Irsay will be placed in the same substance-abuse testing program that applies to plays. If/when that ever happens, Irsay would be subjected to the same protocol of up to 10 urine tests per month, and eventually a one-year suspension, if violations would continue.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11432818/indianapolis-colts-owner-jim-irsay-reaches-plea-deal

Quote:
Jim Irsay reaches plea agreement

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay has reached a plea agreement in his impaired driving case, the Indianapolis Star reported Friday, citing court officials.

With Jim Irsay reaching a plea agreement Friday, players are getting closer to finding out if the NFL really has a double standard dispensing punishment, writes Mike Wells. Story

Details of the agreement were not immediately released. Irsay was arrested in March on two misdemeanor charges and was scheduled for an Oct. 30 trial.

But the Star, citing online court records, reported that a change of plea hearing has been scheduled for Tuesday.

"I cannot provide any details of -- or even verify the existence of -- an agreement unless and until one would be tendered to the Court at such a hearing," Andre Miksha, a spokesman for the Hamilton County prosecutor, said.

Once a plea agreement is reached, it would allow NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to begin rendering punishment for Irsay.

Irsay was arrested March 16 near his home in the Indianapolis suburb of Carmel after he was spotted driving slowly, stopping in the roadway and failing to use a turn signal. Officers said he had trouble reciting the alphabet and failed other field sobriety tests.

A police report said various prescription drugs were found in his vehicle, along with more than $29,000 in cash.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: