Adam Silver: Sponsor Logos Likely in 5 Years
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 13933
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Adam Silver: Sponsor Logos Likely in 5 Years

We all knew it was going to happen when they started wearing those horrible short-sleeve jerseys.

LINK
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 28536
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject:

Momma I'm about to kill a man
_________________
also sprach magic johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 46560
Location: Coming soon and striking at your borders.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

I'm guessing the price of "classic" jerseys will go up?
_________________
LAVAR 3:16...

Hypebeasts we know aboutchea'
Don't rep the Lakers unless they popular...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
marga86
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 3381

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:

I've never understood the american resistance towards sponsors.

Some of them honestly look cool.. but soccer culture is deeply engraved in me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 80263

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

Not a deal breaker. I mean, how can some of these owners live on millions and millions of $? Think of them!!!
_________________
2 Max Scenarios:

-JC out for $0/Deng stretched = 57.6m in 2018 cap space
-Same as above and Jules renounced/traded for $0 = 69.9m in 2018 cap space

2 of 4 of these players will be Lakers in 2018 (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 27368

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
I've never understood the american resistance towards sponsors.

Some of them honestly look cool.. but soccer culture is deeply engraved in me.


Because the jerseys are the one area in which aren't littered with company brand names. Football, baseball, and basketball have kept their jerseys corporate logo free other than the jersey maker. You look at the stadium, to scoreboards, to the LCD's around the stadiums and arenas they are all splashed with corporate sponsors, even more so than in soccer.Even our stadiums are built with corporate sponsors in mind, with the large number of box seats built into new stadiums and arenas, much more than European venues.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 15905

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
marga86 wrote:
I've never understood the american resistance towards sponsors.

Some of them honestly look cool.. but soccer culture is deeply engraved in me.


Because the jerseys are the one area in which aren't littered with company brand names. Football, baseball, and basketball have kept their jerseys corporate logo free other than the jersey maker. You look at the stadium, to scoreboards, to the LCD's around the stadiums and arenas they are all splashed with corporate sponsors, even more so than in soccer.Even our stadiums are built with corporate sponsors in mind, with the large number of box seats built into new stadiums and arenas, much more than European venues.


It wasn't always like that. The advertisers are slowly colonizing all the free space they can find. Its going to happen sooner or later. http://test.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/NBA-Jerseys.jpg

More ads > more BRI > more income for payers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cathy78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Posts: 795

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

I guess there is no way sopping this and the money involved.
But please make it look good and don't put stupid sponsors on there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 5129

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject:

Cant wait to see THAT Pollo Loco logo on Lakers shirts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Posts: 2494

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Cant wait to see THAT Pollo Loco logo on Lakers shirts


or Jack in the Box, maybe Del Taco. In & Out.
_________________
Smrek 2, Nevitt 1, Barkley 0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 2274

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

I guess those 5 years is when all the tv/advertisement deals issues end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 2867

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

The end is near
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 14805

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

smh

I can't stand this idea
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
999
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 19591

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
smh

I can't stand this idea


don't why the NBA has to do it.... NFL MLB and NHL don't do this... why does the NBA have to be whores to big corporations
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 14805

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
22 wrote:
smh

I can't stand this idea


don't why the NBA has to do it.... NFL MLB and NHL don't do this... why does the NBA have to be whores to big corporations


Exactly. Have some class NBA. No need to sell out at every opportunity
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MvP24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Sep 2009
Posts: 830
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Dumbest idea right after the sleeved jerseys. I hate the way the future is looking for the NBA....dumb ass commissioner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SlickVic
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Posts: 2853

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The current idea for the NBA is to allow a single patch for each team. Each sponsor patch would be 2 inches by 2 inches.


If that's all it is I'd probably be okay with it. What I find tacky are the Euro Soccer jerseys with the huge corporate logos on the chest that are 50 times bigger than the actual team logo on the jersey. But at the same time, I understand why they do it there. Compare to US Pro Sports, Euro Soccer has significantly less breaks for commercials, so the marketing and ads have to be prominent during the game. That means big corporate logos on player's jerseys and hundreds of ad banners surrounding the field.

My hope is the NBA doesn't come to the point of huge sponsor logos take over the spot where team logos are currently on the jersey. Because I certainly don't expect the NBA will be dialing down on their existing revenue sources (i.e. commercials and more commercials) anytime soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 27368

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject:

SlickVic wrote:
Quote:
The current idea for the NBA is to allow a single patch for each team. Each sponsor patch would be 2 inches by 2 inches.


If that's all it is I'd probably be okay with it. What I find tacky are the Euro Soccer jerseys with the huge corporate logos on the chest that are 50 times bigger than the actual team logo on the jersey. But at the same time, I understand why they do it there. Compare to US Pro Sports, Euro Soccer has significantly less breaks for commercials, so the marketing and ads have to be prominent during the game. That means big corporate logos on player's jerseys and hundreds of ad banners surrounding the field.

My hope is the NBA doesn't come to the point of huge sponsor logos take over the spot where team logos are currently on the jersey. Because I certainly don't expect the NBA will be dialing down on their existing revenue sources (i.e. commercials and more commercials) anytime soon.


Exactly...Any casual fan watching a Man U game would probably think it was Team AON out there....if they didn't know anything about the sport.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 4373

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject:

didn't know NBA is that desperate for money, i thought the business is booming with LeBron as face of the league and all. oops, i forgot, too many freeloaders in the league. this is why NBA will never surpass NFL in terms of popularity and TV ratings, NBA markets the entire league on couple star players, while NFL markets the league on tradition of each team. even the smallest market in NFL has strong fanbase (Jacksonville is an exception) generations after generations. can't say the same for NBA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 25343

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject:

should not really be a big deal... nothing wrong with it...
I look forward to the Nets wearing trojan ads on the jerseys....
_________________
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
spideysense
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Posts: 2206

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject:

just get rid of the stupid sleeved jerseys
_________________
"Rome wasn't built in a day"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 4952

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject:

We can squawk all we want, but it's inevitable. May as well get in the spirit now.

Fly Emirates!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 80263

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:

The day NBA players have to wear KY Jelly adds on their shorts...
_________________
2 Max Scenarios:

-JC out for $0/Deng stretched = 57.6m in 2018 cap space
-Same as above and Jules renounced/traded for $0 = 69.9m in 2018 cap space

2 of 4 of these players will be Lakers in 2018 (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
danzag
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 9512
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

I hope I don't see that day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Posts: 2494

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
didn't know NBA is that desperate for money, i thought the business is booming with LeBron as face of the league and all. oops, i forgot, too many freeloaders in the league. this is why NBA will never surpass NFL in terms of popularity and TV ratings, NBA markets the entire league on couple star players, while NFL markets the league on tradition of each team. even the smallest market in NFL has strong fanbase (Jacksonville is an exception) generations after generations. can't say the same for NBA.


The population identifies with the NFL for two key reasons IMO: overweight people and violence.
_________________
Smrek 2, Nevitt 1, Barkley 0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB