Bynum out indefinitely!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Bynum should just retire, his knees are shot and so is his value now.
Long as there are teams willing to pay him a contract, why would Bynum retire, I mean afterall, there's a bank in every city.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:

Looks like the Pacers are cutting ties.

USAToday

Quote:
"We want to thank Andrew and our medical staff for trying to get the issues with his knee resolved," said Larry Bird, the Pacers President of Basketball Operations. "We wish him the best in the future."

Sounds like the typical follow up speech after someone gets fired.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

Chances of Bynum going international? Theres ATM's in Istanbul too...
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

Was he even courtside during the playoffs?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Was he even courtside during the playoffs?

Nope. Haven't seen him at all with the Pacers ever since he got injured.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject:

go to college andrew, you're still young.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject:

[quote="j-dawg"]
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Bynum was one of the most under appreciated Lakers during the championship run. The only guy that took more than him from the fans here was probably Fisher. He had some nice blocks and buckets during our run. But his biggest impact is not measured in stats. He alleviated pressure from the other impact players by drawing attention, both offensively and defensively. If you account for that, he was anywhere from our 2nd-4th best player on any given night and (like Bryant, Gasol and Odom) those championships may not have been without those contributions.

Fully agree. And guys like postandpivot were among the first to say this. His pressure relief role during those two championships were super critical. Pau did a great job on Howard by himself, but Bynum was the only one other than Odom on occasion who gave KG fits.
I had a lot of problems on this board with those who couldn't understand the immense value of guys like Bynum, Odom, barnes, Artest. I still don't like how Artest went out, and I still think he's the greatest perimeter defender since Pippen, and in some ways even better than him...his ability to poke balls out at crazy angles and suffocate guards is something. anyway...
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject:

Larry Bird knows something about talent, NBA centers and about player character. That he too at last gave up on Bynum comes as no surprise - to me. Recall of the tangles I indulged in at this site come to mind. Far too many exchanges with impassioned-yet-blinded LGers who called for - as recently as 2011 - the Buss family to build the Laker roster around this supposed new franchise player. I never saw much hope for the Lakers in that direction myself.

There's some strange element of guilty pleasure in the personal satisfaction for again seeing Andrew Bynum tumble closer to NBA irrelevance. The guy's a rich man, but I don't envy him one bit. I'd hate myself as him, for wasting such opportunities for achievement and sports greatness.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject:

I think Bynum is headed to New York this off season.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Larry Bird knows something about talent, NBA centers and about player character. That he too at last gave up on Bynum comes as no surprise - to me. Recall of the tangles I indulged in at this site come to mind. Far too many exchanges with impassioned-yet-blinded LGers who called for - as recently as 2011 - the Buss family to build the Laker roster around this supposed new franchise player. I never saw much hope for the Lakers in that direction myself.

There's some strange element of guilty pleasure in the personal satisfaction for again seeing Andrew Bynum tumble closer to NBA irrelevance. The guy's a rich man, but I don't envy him one bit. I'd hate myself as him, for wasting such opportunities for achievement and sports greatness.
wow, really.

we are going to act like the guy has knees to play on? as if he's eddie curry, just sitting up getting fat and not carrying. i mean we're treating him like a fat stanley roberts. or Roy hibbert(who isnt hurt and hasnt been but has been in a super funk for some time now.)

when drew had the knees, he balled. its that simple.

so now its his fault he has knee issues. lol
as they say "haters gone hate"

larry bird recognized like philly found out the hard way. drew doesnt have the knees to play on. pure and simple. no reason to keep a guy around who has NO knees. it has nothing to do with anything else. of course a man's attitude might be piss poor if he's frustrated due to being injured all the time knowing he could be the best center in the nba hands down. that has to be frustrating.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject:

Best and only thing about the Howard trade: we didn't re-sign Bynum to a 5 year possibly $100m extension.
PupNamedHector
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

He doesn't have knees, plain and simple.

Did you see his 2 games he played with Indiana? He was unstoppable.

You have no clue.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

PupNamedHector wrote:
70sdude wrote:

You have no clue.

Riiight. I guess you missed the part about the Lakers and Sixers and Cavs - and now Pacers - dumping him for attitude problems that dwarfed his salary, his injury, and most notably his contributions. If you want to focus on his knee injury now (itself a shining example of his near-complete lack of work ethic), blind yourself. That's not why he's sent packing from any of these clubs. He's the same goof-off he was here, always lazy, sometimes willing to work, and now rich, an immature young man who's made $670M in the past five years for being available half the time. It's good work when you can find it.

I called him out for this stuff in his second season, and I was right. The Lakers needed a few more years to learn it too, perhaps a huge factor in their current problems.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:

At least no team offered a long term free contract when he was a FA or they would be pretty screwed now. Lakers did dodge a bullet, despite a lot of people here would have kept him over Dwight. At least with Dwight gone we have cap space.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
At least no team offered a long term free contract when he was a FA or they would be pretty screwed now. Lakers did dodge a bullet, despite a lot of people here would have kept him over Dwight. At least with Dwight gone we have cap space.

Exactly.

Imagine Kobe's extension (around 24m/year) and Bynum (say $20m/year) taking up 2 years plus of cap space. Yikes.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
drew was on the last year of his contract. we were not going to resign him cause our docs knew he had bad knees that were not repairable. so no matter what happened(dwight or no dwight) drew would not be in a laker uniform today.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
PupNamedHector wrote:
70sdude wrote:

You have no clue.

Riiight. I guess you missed the part about the Lakers and Sixers and Cavs - and now Pacers - dumping him for attitude problems that dwarfed his salary, his injury, and most notably his contributions. If you want to focus on his knee injury now (itself a shining example of his near-complete lack of work ethic), blind yourself. That's not why he's sent packing from any of these clubs. He's the same goof-off he was here, always lazy, sometimes willing to work, and now rich, an immature young man who's made $670M in the past five years for being available half the time. It's good work when you can find it.

I called him out for this stuff in his second season, and I was right. The Lakers needed a few more years to learn it too, perhaps a huge factor in their current problems.
the guy is supposed to play basketball. if you CANT play due to injury, that wont cease. that will in most cases put you in a depressed mind state aka bad attitude. its one thing if he could fix it and he chose not to like some other lazy players we've seen in the past. thats not the case with him. he has gone thru two major surgeries on both knees and came back from both and became an allstar. you dont do that if you're lazy. now the knees cant stay healthy for more then a few games. that is depressing. in addition constant pain makes most people a bit less happy. thats a known fact as well. you put the two together and you have a giant 7 footer hanging around the locker room that isnt doing anything positive for the team. its not like he's an old school fish, in great shape but to old to really contribute on the court. but he's healthy and he know's he's too old to do much. so he is ok with his role as pine warmer and ra ra vet guy.

drew is young and was just an allstar and he's looking at these clowns at the Center position thinking "If i could only stay healthy i would terrorize the nba." and its true. we all know its true. that would tick anyone off knowing they are that close to something they will NEVER have all due to something outside of their control. most people dont do well in those scenarios when it comes to their attitude. so the truth is. its all about the KNEES. the attitude gets worse because the knees get worse.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Fallout wrote:
drew was on the last year of his contract. we were not going to resign him cause our docs knew he had bad knees that were not repairable. so no matter what happened(dwight or no dwight) drew would not be in a laker uniform today.

So, what's the ethical grounds for then packaging him to the 76ers, fully knowing he was hurt?

I'm fairly certain the team would entertain re-signing Bynum.
Janggoon8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:

Guy just needs to give it up. Unfortunately, someone will end up signing him in a couple years.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:

The Clippers and Heat must be glad they didn't sign him. Those two teams didn't make much of an effort to get him which surprised some people.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The Clippers and Heat must be glad they didn't sign him. Those two teams didn't make much of an effort to get him which surprised some people.

The Heat already have Oden who barely plays, so they probably didn't see the point of signing another big.
The Clippers being the Staples Center co-tenant probably know more about Laker players than any other NBA team out there. So they passed on him for that reason.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:

drew is young and was just an allstar and he's looking at these clowns at the Center position thinking "If i could only stay healthy i would terrorize the nba." and its true. we all know its true.

People have been saying this for a long, long time. Never happened. Even when healthy he was never a "terrorizing" player. Do you know how many games he's scored 30 or more points in, for his career? A whopping 8. He never dominated the glass. Never dominated the paint. He was a pretty good Center for today's standards, but never had the capacity to be as great as his fans believed he "could" have been.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

drew is young and was just an allstar and he's looking at these clowns at the Center position thinking "If i could only stay healthy i would terrorize the nba." and its true. we all know its true.

People have been saying this for a long, long time. Never happened. Even when healthy he was never a "terrorizing" player. Do you know how many games he's scored 30 or more points in, for his career? A whopping 8. He never dominated the glass. Never dominated the paint. He was a pretty good Center for today's standards, but never had the capacity to be as great as his fans believed he "could" have been.

Yep, he's been thru 3 teams in 2 years. 3 teams out there believed he could get healthy and it blew up in their face. If he was so great the Lakers would be giving him a 2nd look.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Fallout wrote:

So, what's the ethical grounds for then packaging him to the 76ers, fully knowing he was hurt?

I'm fairly certain the team would entertain re-signing Bynum.
ethical? lol. look we knew the knees were shaky at best and we all knew that we only HOPED his injuries were in the past cause he gave us one good solid season. but even during that season he was getting those lube the knees, shots. that right there tells you all you need to know. anytime you have to get extra crap just to keep the suspect knees going after 2 surgeries . odds are he will break down again, sooner then later. maybe not next season. but probably soon. so the lakers knew this. philly should have known. they had his injury records, knee MRI's, XRAYS. chart notes,etc. philly just wanted a big man so bad. they didnt care and PRAYED he wouldnt fall apart on them in a couple of season. but dang this guy didnt play one game for them.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

oh really. so you're trying to tell me when he became an allstar he didnt have games that showed what he was about to become if he ever stayed healthy? cut it out van.

no drew in the nba got yall thinking DJ is a great center or something. "man DJ is really good." NO.. HE"S NOT. he has hops. and thats about it.

drew made DJ look like a clown.

oh what about lock down defender J.Noah?

^^thats broke knees drew. he looked like it hurt to jump on every play. and he still out classed a great defender in JN.

do you think he was just going to stop progressing after his allstar year? even if he did. do you not realize with us looking at dwight as who he really is. not a superstar. who's there to fill that void at center? it would've been DREW. not hibbert. DREW.

the guy had 2 rings and an allstar appearance. on top of the fact he was extremely good with his feet and soft hands. healthy knees, drew was the best center in the nba without discussion. especially back 2 the basket big.
what happens once he officially developed that jumpshot? oh boy.

what happens if he had learned how to pass out of the triple teams(you saw some of this when he was in cleveland. he looked like he actually passed a lot quicker out of doubles.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: