Mark Jackson Forces Reassignment of Asst Coach Brian Scalabrine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Mark Jackson Forces Reassignment of Asst Coach Brian Scalabrine

LINK

Didn't know all this stuff was brewing behind the scenes. I thought Jackson has done a great job since his hiring. It just makes me wonder how Scalabrine has caught the eye of management after less than a season unless players were privately complaining to them about Jackson. Then again, I used to wonder how Scalabrine lasted as long as a player as he did.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

This is interesting because a couple years ago, Jalen Rose also made a cryptic comment regarding Scalabrine and why he's even on the Boston team. He got into trouble for that comment, and since then he doesn't really talk like that anymore publicly. I agree with Jalen and think Scalabrine must be someone's pet favorite guy. Kerr is one of these guys too, but at least he could knock a three down.
LakerHabib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject:

I'm a bit confused as to what the controversy is about here. Can somebody please explain?

Amen to that!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject:

Someone in the organization is throwing Jackson under the bus. These comments suggest that he is pretty much of a lame duck coach, which makes no sense. It sounds like someone got inflated expectations about the team and now is blaming the finger at Jackson. So if you want someone to swing a hatchet for you, who do you call? Adrian Woj.

Woj wrote:
Jackson, in his third year at the helm of the Warriors, has one year left on his contract, but has come under increased scrutiny within the organization for how he has run the team and worked on the job. There have been no conversations about an extension for Jackson – nor are they expected to take place, sources said.

Jackson, 48, had tried and failed to get involved with several head-coaching openings over the past year, including the Los Angeles Clippers and Brooklyn Nets, league sources said.

Wow.
singlecamVTEC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

Well, at least Steph Curry is backing Mark Jackson. Good luck to him.., don't know why Scal is such an important piece to the Warriors.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Someone in the organization is throwing Jackson under the bus. These comments suggest that he is pretty much of a lame duck coach, which makes no sense. It sounds like someone got inflated expectations about the team and now is blaming the finger at Jackson. So if you want someone to swing a hatchet for you, who do you call? Adrian Woj.

Woj wrote:
Jackson, in his third year at the helm of the Warriors, has one year left on his contract, but has come under increased scrutiny within the organization for how he has run the team and worked on the job. There have been no conversations about an extension for Jackson – nor are they expected to take place, sources said.

Jackson, 48, had tried and failed to get involved with several head-coaching openings over the past year, including the Los Angeles Clippers and Brooklyn Nets, league sources said.

Wow.

Yeah ... that does look like some Middle school stuff.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Mark Jackson is way over his head. the guy makes Doc Rivers look like Dean Smith. all Mark does during timeouts are rah rah talk, no X's and O's, just a glorified cheer leader. i bet he's licking his chops at that soon-to-be vacant Knick job.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Woj wrote:

Wow.

People look at a young team and automatically make the assumption that they'll take it to the next level.

What I saw? I saw a team that shot LIGHTS OUT just to make it as far as they did during their run last year. If even one of the two perimeter cats (both awesome but grossly overrated) have a let down shooting, they're toast.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Woj wrote:

Wow.

I consider Jackson a lame duck coach. I don't really see anything that makes him a good coach. He is definitely a rah rah coach but I don't consider that good coaching.

A majority, or possibly a very vocal minority, of warrior fans also feel this way about him. According to what I have read from warrior fans they feel that his rotations suck, his timeouts are never used properly, and (I don't know if I believe this little tidbit here but you never know) he gives minutes based on how religious you are.

The reason that warrior team is winning is because they are extremely talented.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Sacreligious wrote:
According to what I have read from warrior fans they feel that his rotations suck, his timeouts are never used properly, and (I don't know if I believe this little tidbit here but you never know) he gives minutes based on how religious you are.

I don't follow the Warriors enough to comment on this, but I sure did hear a lot of the same stuff being said around here (other than the religious stuff) about Phil Jackson.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Meh. Mere power struggle. If the title had been Mark Jackson Forces Gender Reassignment of Asst Coach Brian Scalabrine, then there'll be something to talk about.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, not that big of a deal. From what I heard, the GSW organization seems to like Scal and have temporily stashed him on the Santa Cruz Warriors while Mark Jackson goes stomping around town unleashing his atomic breath on those who get in his way. Scalabrine was seen last night on the sidelines of the Santa Cruz Warriors at the Dfenders game, sauces say if Mark Jackson finds his way to NY to coach the Knicks, Scal might have a shot at it if there's a vacancy.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Warriors notebook: Jermaine O'Neal calls talk of firing Mark Jackson 'ridiculous'

By Diamond Leung

dleung (@) bayareanewsgroup.com
Posted: 03/29/2014 07:09:26 PM PDT
Updated: 03/29/2014 10:20:35 PM PDT

OAKLAND -- Warriors veteran big man Jermaine O'Neal called any talk of firing coach Mark Jackson "ridiculous" and "unfair" before offering a vote of confidence unique to his own NBA career.

O'Neal is considering retirement, and if the 35-year-old were to decide to play next season, he said it would be because of Jackson and that the team he would choose would be the Warriors.

"It's a couple reasons why I will come back," O'Neal said Saturday. "This fan base, this organization is first class, and obviously my teammates are great, as well.

"But the No. 1 reason that I will come back and play another year is because of Coach Jackson. I'm absolutely, 100 percent positive about that. He makes it easy to come in this gym every day, and there's not a lot of coaches that do that."

O'Neal, whom Jackson noted was "underpaid" and "a steal" while playing on a $2 million, one-year contract, said he would choose Golden State despite the distance from family because Jackson has shown just how much he cares about his players.

Offering up an example, the business-minded O'Neal said Jackson allowed him to miss practice Tuesday so he could go to Mountain View to attend Y Combinator's Demo Day, which features startup companies making presentations.

O'Neal also appreciated how Jackson has been mindful of putting too much of a physical burden on him because of his age and experience.

With Andrew Bogut going down with a pelvic contusion in Friday's win against Memphis, O'Neal's presence in the lineup could be needed once again for Sunday's game against New York as the Warriors look to close out a playoff berth with 10 games left.

"To me, it's one of the most unfair things that I've seen in a long time," O'Neal said. "And it truly is a team that's 18 games over .500. Eighteen. And we're talking about firing a coach with 10, 11 games left?

"Here's the facts. To everybody that's negative out there, you may not ever see this again. I know that firsthand because I've been in the position. It may take 10 years to be back in that position, so do you want to accept us with open arms and continue to show the support?"

Jackson faced scrutiny earlier this week after the reassignment of assistant coach Brian Scalabrine. Told of O'Neal's support, Jackson reiterated his most important purpose in coaching was to impact lives in a positive way.

"People don't want to hear it, but it is what it is," Jackson said. "I think the wins follow when you do that."

Just how much was Bogut hurting from getting kneed in the groin by the Grizzlies' Marc Gasol? He jokingly tweeted early Saturday after the game, "On a side (note) hopefully I can have kids one day."

Bogut was scheduled Saturday to undergo an MRI, with the result expected to be revealed Sunday.

"He's still hurting," Jackson said. "Watching the edit of it, it was a severe blow he took, so he's still in plenty of pain this morning."

Against the Knicks, the Warriors could be missing their top two rebounders as David Lee remains questionable due to a strained right hamstring. The Warriors are 3-1 this season with neither Bogut nor Lee in the lineup.

"You take any team in this league and you take away their starting power forward and center, they're not going to be the same team," Jackson said. "With us, standard line. No excuses."

http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_25450203/warriors-notebook-jermaine-oneal-calls-talk-firing-mark
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Not the way you treat the "White Mamba."
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Mark Jackson is way over his head. the guy makes Doc Rivers look like Dean Smith. all Mark does during timeouts are rah rah talk, no X's and O's, just a glorified cheer leader. i bet he's licking his chops at that soon-to-be vacant Knick job.

Exactly, this probably works when the Warriors were going nowhere and were mired in mediocrity. But now they have expectations and are playing against tougher competition and expected to advance further in the playoffs with the talent they have. Rah rah speeches only work for so long until somebody realizes the facade. With Phil as GM, my bet is he tries to get one of his former assistants a head coaching job to employ the triangle. I don't see that as a landing spot for Mark Jackson no matter how much he may want that job.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Exactly, this probably works when the Warriors were going nowhere and were mired in mediocrity. But now they have expectations and are playing against tougher competition and expected to advance further in the playoffs with the talent they have. Rah rah speeches only work for so long until somebody realizes the facade. With Phil as GM, my bet is he tries to get one of his former assistants a head coaching job to employ the triangle. I don't see that as a landing spot for Mark Jackson no matter how much he may want that job.

The Warriors never won nothing after ther playoff win against the Mavs, not till Jackson came there as coach. I would say he has done a good job, the team is winning. He may not be the perfect coach, but not everyone is a Phil Jackson or Doc Rivers. His team is winning. I enjoy watch GSW, they play an exciting brand of basketball
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Woj wrote:

Wow.

Listening to First Take this morning. SAS said his sources told him Jerry West is not enamored with Jackson. The team likes him, super stars included.

I have a feeling Scalabrine will be head coach of the Warriors next season.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Woj wrote:

Wow.

Listening to First Take this morning. SAS said his sources told him Jerry West is not enamored with Jackson. The team likes him, super stars included.

I have a feeling Scalabrine will be head coach of the Warriors next season.

Well, if they want to go back to the years of not making the playoffs, they can pull that move. Jackson has been good for that team. If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!!!
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject:

^For some reason the Warriors FO sees him as future head coach material, so he's hiding out with the Santa Cruz affiliate until Mark is sent on his way.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Mark's doing a great job. The team likes him. If he's let go it's going to affect the team. Scalabrine's going to have a hard time getting the team to follow him.

I wonder if Mark's religious approach has anything to do with him not being liked, if that is in fact true.

I don't know if anyone saw Eddie, starring Whoppie Goldberg and a plethora of NBA players, Rick Fox, John Salley the much traveled Dwayne Schintzius to name a few.

There was a scene where Whoopie cursed and Mark said, "Aw come on coach" she said "Sorry Preacher"

I didn't realize it at the time but Mark Jackson in a ordained minister, he has his own church. He delivers sermons when ever possible.

I've heard stories about West and his personality that, if true, are disturbing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Mark's doing a great job. The team likes him. If he's let go it's going to affect the team. Scalabrine's going to have a hard time getting the team to follow him.

I wonder if Mark's religious approach has anything to do with him not being liked, if that is in fact true.

I don't know if anyone saw Eddie, starring Whoppie Goldberg and a plethora of NBA players, Rick Fox, John Salley the much traveled Dwayne Schintzius to name a few.

There was a scene where Whoopie cursed and Mark said, "Aw come on coach" she said "Sorry Preacher"

I didn't realize it at the time but Mark Jackson in a ordained minister, he has his own church. He delivers sermons when ever possible.

I've heard stories about West and his personality that, if true, are disturbing.

Yeah, Jackson is a real Saint.

Quote:
It seems Jackson and Adams had an affair six years ago, when Jackson was a Nets announcer and Adams worked as a stripper in New York. That affair lasted less than a year. Jackson has been married for more than 20 years. He and his wife have four children, and they serve as co-pastors of a church in Los Angeles.

http://deadspin.com/5922066/fbi-ex-stripper-mistress-of-warriors-coach-mark-jackson-extorted-him-with-his-own-dong-shots/all
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

http://uowblogs.com/studentlife/files/2013/05/Stories-that-dont-go-anywhere-1twaew9.gif

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:
It seems Jackson and Adams had an affair six years ago, when Jackson was a Nets announcer and Adams worked as a stripper in New York. That affair lasted less than a year. Jackson has been married for more than 20 years. He and his wife have four children, and they serve as co-pastors of a church in Los Angeles.

http://deadspin.com/5922066/fbi-ex-stripper-mistress-of-warriors-coach-mark-jackson-extorted-him-with-his-own-dong-shots/all

I never said Jackson was a saint, I queried could be a reason he and West don't get along, if in fact they don't get along.

Mark is human, humans make mistakes. What does that have to do with his ability to coach.

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

I never said Jackson was a saint, I queried could be a reason he and West don't get along, if in fact they don't get along.

Mark is human, humans make mistakes. What does that have to do with his ability to coach.

I'd say it has more to do with his ability to preach things he doesn't follow in his own life. He cheated and lied to his entire family. He's a fraud. Can't trust guys like that in the locker room.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

I'd say it has more to do with his ability to preach things he doesn't follow in his own life. He cheated and lied to his entire family. He's a fraud. Can't trust guys like that in the locker room.

Jodeke, I think your points are interesting. Vanexcelent, one of the tenets of christianity is that man are inherent sinners. It could be that Jackson finds solace in religion due to his past mistakes, not as an attempt to be holier than thou hypocrite.

As an atheist, I would feel alienated in his locker room if he did use religion as a motivating tool, but I don't know if any of his players feel that way. It could be and cause a serious issue (btw, Buddhism is not anywhere similar to judeo-christian religions, so don't bring up Phil Jackson. Buddhism is non-theistic).

All in all, I think Jackson is doing a good job. Let's see how they do in the playoffs before casting stones.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: