Shanesha Taylor, Homeless Single Mom, Arrested After Leaving Kids In Car While On Job Interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Here comes glass half full.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Shanesha, by her own volition, is in desperate times.

What she did indicates she's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier but I believe her intentions were good.

I know there are probably some who'll say, the road to hell is paved by good intentions, I understand their position, I also think I understand hers.

Her intentions were to get a legitimate job to be able to take care of herself and her children. I give her points for not getting on welfare, for trying to do it on her own.

The web has shown compassion, she has extra funds to at least get off the streets. Hopefully someone in a position to give he a job will do so.

I know I wouldn't give her a job.

So you're willing to perpetuate homelessness, unemployment, putting children into the system instead of showing some compassion and offering a down and out person a chance to be productive? Why?

There are plenty of down and out homeless parents who wouldn't leave 2 defenseless babies in a hot car for over an hour for ANY reason.

Yeah. I feel for this woman's plight. But it's still no excuse for terrible and dangerous decision making involving two very young children. The woman's primary concern at this point should be making sure the kids are properly cared for - even if it means separating from them while she gets her act together and gets a job and has resources that mean she doesn't have to put her kids in danger.

It has nothing to do with being "willing to perpetuate homelessness, unemployment, putting children into the system". It has everything to do with the well being of two kids who are in position to fend for themselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Shanesha, by her own volition, is in desperate times.

What she did indicates she's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier but I believe her intentions were good.

I know there are probably some who'll say, the road to hell is paved by good intentions, I understand their position, I also think I understand hers.

Her intentions were to get a legitimate job to be able to take care of herself and her children. I give her points for not getting on welfare, for trying to do it on her own.

The web has shown compassion, she has extra funds to at least get off the streets. Hopefully someone in a position to give he a job will do so.

So you're willing to perpetuate homelessness, unemployment, putting children into the system instead of showing some compassion and offering a down and out person a chance to be productive? Why?

There are plenty of down and out homeless parents who wouldn't leave 2 defenseless babies in a hot car for over an hour for ANY reason.

I'm not giving her a pass. I'm advocating a chance to right her life. She made a huge error, she doesn't deserve the death penalty.

Who said anything about a death penalty? Although if no one had walked by and heard those poor babies crying in that hot car, it would be a whole different discussion probably one involving the death penalty. Would you still be singing the same tune? 'Oh, she didn't mean to kill her kids. She was going on a job interview!'

Death penalty was a overstatement. Used for dramatics.

Again, I'm not saying what she did was in any way right. I only champion a chance to for her to straighten her life.

Of course if the kids had expired I would not be asking to give her a chance to unbend her life. They didn't, I think another chance is in order.

If I had a job to offer, I'd offer it. Would you?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm not giving her a pass. I'm advocating a chance to right her life. She made a huge error, she doesn't deserve the death penalty.

Who said anything about a death penalty? Although if no one had walked by and heard those poor babies crying in that hot car, it would be a whole different discussion probably one involving the death penalty. Would you still be singing the same tune? 'Oh, she didn't mean to kill her kids. She was going on a job interview!'

Again, I'm not saying what she did was in any way right. I only champion a chance to for her to straighten her life.

Of course if the kids had expired I would not be asking to give her a chance to unbend her life. They didn't, I think another chance is in order.

No. I'd offer her a bed in a mental hospital and a forever family for her babies.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

No. I'd offer her a bed in a mental hospital and a forever family for her babies.

Wow Hoops, I never had you pegged to be that mean.

I respect your passion but disagree with your method to correct a sad situation.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject:

And let me further explain myself, Jodeke. A JOB is the least of this woman's problems. A mother's instinct to PROTECT her children, not put them in harm's way. You can't hardly find a mother who will leave a baby alone in the next room, much less in a locked car. She had no one to watch her babies. How in the hell was she going a work a job everyday when she couldn't even find someone to look after her kids for an HOUR??? I know people look down on welfare, but dammit, this is a woman who needed it. Those resources are available.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject:

You can't leave kids in a hot car. Period. There's no excuse for it.

That being said, I hope she gets probation rather than a prison term, and I hope her kids don't end up in the foster care system.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
And let me further explain myself, Jodeke. A JOB is the least of this woman's problems. A mother's instinct to PROTECT her children, not put them in harm's way. You can't hardly find a mother who will leave a baby alone in the next room, much less in a locked car. She had no one to watch her babies. How in the hell was she going a work a job everyday when she couldn't even find someone to look after her kids for an HOUR??? I know people look down on welfare, but dammit, this is a woman who needed it. Those resources are available.

I understand your position and passion. I side with you.

Again, I'm not giving her a pass. I only ask she be given a chance to right her path.

Are you against that?

By the Bye In this case maybe welfare is the way to go.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Wow Hoops, I never had you pegged to be that mean.

I respect your passion but disagree with your method to correct a sad situation.

It's not "mean". It's reasonable approach to protecting young children whose mother is unable to properly care for them. Their welfare trumps all. No matter how "sad" this situation is. It doesn't have to be a "forever family", but the kids should have shelter and dedicated care until this woman is capable of providing that for herself.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Again, I'm not giving her a pass. I only ask she be given a chance to right her path.

Are you against that?

She's gonna have a chance to atone no matter how this all plays out. Unfortunately in the meantime, she won't have her kids. They are somewhere in the system where she can't supervise or monitor their well being. They could be in a good home or bad home. They could be together or split apart. Her bad decision is what did all this. And because she did the wrong thing, she's gonna have to fight like hell just to get to see them. That could be weeks or months down the road. Felony child endangerment is not something that gives a family court judge warm fuzzy feelings. That money people are donating better get her a GOOD lawyer.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Are you against that?

She's gonna have a chance to atone no matter how this all plays out. Unfortunately in the meantime, she won't have her kids. They are somewhere in the system where she can't supervise or monitor their well being. They could be in a good home or bad home. They could be together or split apart. Her bad decision is what did all this. And because she did the wrong thing, she's gonna have to fight like hell just to get to see them. That could be weeks or months down the road. Felony child endangerment is not something that gives a family court judge warm fuzzy feelings. That money people are donating better get her a GOOD lawyer.

Now that's more like the Hoops we've all grown to love.

She has 27,000, that should get her a decent barrister.

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject:

Kobe2Dwight12 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Kobe2Dwight12 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
So the cops thought it was a sad situation but still proceeded to arrest her? How about just helping her.

This. I understand calling CPS or a similar agency for the kids, but arresting he mother does nobody any good.

Yes it does. You don't leave your kids in a car alone period. She doesn't deserve special treatment because she's homeless.

If you can't take care of your kids, don't have.

A wise man once told me "If you can't feem 'em, don't breed 'em."

Yeah, given that this was an Arizona, I hate to say it but it's particularly unacceptable because of the heat factor. Even without the heat factor, that's just a dangerous thing to do. But I feel for her because she was ultimately trying to do the right thing by getting a job, and she'll now probably feel like what's the point and turn to something else.

I think the problem with your quote though, is that a lot of people don't know that they CAN'T feed them. (I mean, what's the criteria). I mean who actually believes that they cannot feed their future kids and then has them anyway? I don't think anybody does that.

Plenty of people have kids even though they have no financial security or education. Have kids when you know you afford to take care of them by yourself.
you are correct plenty of people just have kids not thinking. now this lady's situation may be different. what happens when you use to work and could afford your kids. and have been out of work for over a year? no one is hiring you and its getting worse the longer you're out of work. see thats where your statement doesnt fit. you cant always have 2 years of salary saved up for a just in case situation. unless you make so much money you only need half your salary to survive with your kids.

what people should be doing is trying to figure out what should she have done? cause that interview had to happen. and those kids cant be left in the car. so what should she do?
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Are you against that?

hoops. if she gets a job. perhaps she can afford day care. perhaps if she gets a job she can get a place to stay which gives her a real address. so now she can send her kids to school without the govvy taking them from her.

they're not going to send your welfare check to a PO box. so how do you get said check if you dont have a legit address? you dont.

you have to have family/friend you can trust. everyone doesnt have this.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
She absolutely should have been arrested and charged. Please read the article. These are babies, 2 years old and 6 months old, completely unable to fend for themselves for any period of time. There were left alone in a locked hot car in ARIZONA with the windows barely cracked. By the time the cops got there, they had been in the car for 30 minutes. It took mommy dearest another 45 MINUTES to come back after the cops showed up.

No interview is worth the safety of innocent babies. Even if she got the job, if she can't find someone to watch them for an hour, what the heck was she gonna do with them for 8 hours a day? I'm not without sympathy, but my God, this was not a viable option. Now, she don't have her babies. She's gonna have a horrible time trying to get them back. She's got 2 felony child abuse charges hanging over her head (good luck getting a job now). The whole thing both enrages me and saddens me.

She was in a (bleep) situation. Yes, she (bleep) up royally, but arresting her doesn't do any good. She made a horrible decision, but she had no real good options, and I'm sure she was facing an insane amount of stress having no home, and no job, little or no money, and two kids to try to provide for. People tend not to make the best decisions when they're stressed, especially when they feel they are out of options, which I'm sure she did.

Take her kids away and put them in protective care with a good foster family, sure, but why waste resources trying to punish someone who is already going through massive amounts of (bleep), and who made a mistake not out of any apparent maliciousness, but from sheer desperation. It doesn't help her, it doesn't help her kids, and it sure doesn't help us as a society either.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Are you against that?

hoops. if she gets a job. perhaps she can afford day care. perhaps if she gets a job she can get a place to stay which gives her a real address. so now she can send her kids to school without the govvy taking them from her.

they're not going to send your welfare check to a PO box. so how do you get said check if you dont have a legit address? you dont.

you have to have family/friend you can trust. everyone doesnt have this.

You don't just get money in your hands when you get a job. You gotta work 2 or 3 weeks before you see a first check. What happens with the kids in the meantime? And daycare in a given month is at least much as RENT.

Getting a place? When's the last time you moved? You know how much money it takes to move? Deposit, first month's rent, other expenses...you talking $1500-$2000 easy on a matchbox apartment that you have to have UP FRONT. The average job isn't going to put that kinda cash in your hand in 1-2 checks.

And the part about needing a physical address to get welfare.... True and not true. Homeless people get welfare. The county helps them with that. In fact right here in Los Angeles County, you can use the local hubs as an address and you can go there to pick up any communications. Besides, most systems (whether you're talking about Cash Aid or Food Stamps or Unemployment) have converted to the EBT card program and they load the funds on certain days of the month.

This is a woman who needed major assistance. A job was not gonna get her out of the hole she was in. Unfortunately because of the bad choice she made, the govvy is all up in her beeswax now and her kids are GONE. Things are 10 times more difficult now.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
She absolutely should have been arrested and charged. Please read the article. These are babies, 2 years old and 6 months old, completely unable to fend for themselves for any period of time. There were left alone in a locked hot car in ARIZONA with the windows barely cracked. By the time the cops got there, they had been in the car for 30 minutes. It took mommy dearest another 45 MINUTES to come back after the cops showed up.

No interview is worth the safety of innocent babies. Even if she got the job, if she can't find someone to watch them for an hour, what the heck was she gonna do with them for 8 hours a day? I'm not without sympathy, but my God, this was not a viable option. Now, she don't have her babies. She's gonna have a horrible time trying to get them back. She's got 2 felony child abuse charges hanging over her head (good luck getting a job now). The whole thing both enrages me and saddens me.

She was in a (bleep) situation. Yes, she (bleep) up royally, but arresting her doesn't do any good. She made a horrible decision, but she had no real good options, and I'm sure she was facing an insane amount of stress having no home, and no job, little or no money, and two kids to try to provide for. People tend not to make the best decisions when they're stressed, especially when they feel they are out of options, which I'm sure she did.

Take her kids away and put them in protective care with a good foster family, sure, but why waste resources trying to punish someone who is already going through massive amounts of (bleep), and who made a mistake not out of any apparent maliciousness, but from sheer desperation. It doesn't help her, it doesn't help her kids, and it sure doesn't help us as a society either.

Ultimately, she's gonna catch a break when it's all said and done criminally. She'll probably plead out to a couple of misdemeanors, and hopefully come out with probation in lieu of jail time. But you can't give someone a total pass who endangers the life of defenseless babies, even if it's their own and they love them. You just can't.

And whether or not something is done out of malice versus sheer desperation in this case is irrelevant. Like I asked Jodeke - Mommy was gone for over an hour. It wasn't like she ran into the store for 10 minutes. If those babies had perished in that hot car, would they be any less dead because Mommy had good intentions?
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
24 wrote:
Anybody else find it obscene to raise 27k for lawyers but there isn't enough money to keep kids from living in cars?

Yeah this is really bizarre

Not to get too off topic but.......
The top 85 richest people in the world have as much wealth as 3.5 billion of the worlds poorest- roughly half of the entire world population. Something has to give eventually.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:
24 wrote:
Anybody else find it obscene to raise 27k for lawyers but there isn't enough money to keep kids from living in cars?

The top 85 richest people in the world have as much wealth as 3.5 billion of the worlds poorest- roughly half of the entire world population. Something has to give eventually.

And when they do give, they give to lawyers...
Statcat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Where's the father? Why isn't he helping with the children?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:
24 wrote:

And when they do give, they give to lawyers...

''The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

- William Shakespeare

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Statcat wrote:
Where's the father? Why isn't he helping with the children?

Could be in jail/homeless too. Those poor kids were doomed.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject:

Kobe2Dwight12 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Kobe2Dwight12 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
So the cops thought it was a sad situation but still proceeded to arrest her? How about just helping her.

This. I understand calling CPS or a similar agency for the kids, but arresting he mother does nobody any good.

Yes it does. You don't leave your kids in a car alone period. She doesn't deserve special treatment because she's homeless.

If you can't take care of your kids, don't have.

A wise man once told me "If you can't feem 'em, don't breed 'em."

Yeah, given that this was an Arizona, I hate to say it but it's particularly unacceptable because of the heat factor. Even without the heat factor, that's just a dangerous thing to do. But I feel for her because she was ultimately trying to do the right thing by getting a job, and she'll now probably feel like what's the point and turn to something else.

I think the problem with your quote though, is that a lot of people don't know that they CAN'T feed them. (I mean, what's the criteria). I mean who actually believes that they cannot feed their future kids and then has them anyway? I don't think anybody does that.

Plenty of people have kids even though they have no financial security or education. Have kids when you know you afford to take care of them by yourself.

I think you missed my point.

I think people think they can afford to take care of a child but then reality sets in once they actually have the child. I don't believe people run the numbers, conclude that the math shows they cannot afford children and then go ahead and have them anyway.

It's the same with pets. Easy to say don't get a dog unless you have the time to take care of it. A lot of people think they have the time (or don't think about it at all), get a dog, and then realize oh man, I really don't have time for this. Nobody says ok I know I don't have time for a dog but I'm gonna get one anyway.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject:

Not to mention the fact that circumstances change.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Not to mention the fact that circumstances change.

Well, and that too. Plus, does anyone know how to calculate this? There are so many variables at play.

Is there some DTI ratio one needs to be at? Maybe some percentage of expenses to income? How do you KNOW you can afford a kid?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

It's really not so much if you can afford a kid. There's enough help out there where kids can survive as long as the parent is remotely responsible and really cares about their kid.

The tragedy here isn't how poor the lady is. It's not about her being desperate. The real tragedy is that a mother would be willing to let her babies stay in a locked car in Arizona for over an hour. She literally risked their lives in a big way.

It was even worse than leaving the kids unattended in a junkyard full of dangerous objects. These kids were put in the car by their mother and left to bake.

This lady doesn't deserve to be a mother.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject:

I'm sure there are mothers in the forum who will side with, a mistake of gargantuan proportions was made. I also think those same mothers know what measures they'd go to, too protect and care for their young.

Shanesha made a mistake, though epic, I think forgivable. If any mother in the forum, not fully cognizant of the cicumstances, was in her place, ask yourself, what would you do?

We don't know if there was any family or any other person to take care of the children. I believe another choice would have been safer but was there one?

Shouldn't the chance to make right her wrong, along with a better chance to raise her children decently be given? I think so.

I, nor anyone in the forum, know what kind of mother this woman is. We're making judgements based on one error. I don't think that's fair.

I think because there are resources in place that are geared to help those in Shanesha Taylor's predicament, they should first be tried before taking children from they biological parent.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: