YMCA 6-7yr olds bball question

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: YMCA 6-7yr olds bball question

So, I started coaching for bball for 6-7yr olds at the Y.

At this age, they don't keep score yet. Some of the kids are good while others are playing foe the first time.

So, my team has 2 good all-around players. The others on my team are tall and good defenders.

The game today was total domination. I felt kinda bad that the other team hardly got shot attempts because we kept stealing the ball or blocking shots.

So now I feel kind of bad. On one hand I love my team's competitiveness, but on the other hand it was so lopsided. I had our two best players mainly just ball handling and passing the entire second half, but our defense was the big thing. It was intense and unforgiving.

Though their coach never asked for any mercy.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

I am not a coach so I could be completely off base.

I am guessing that there is a league of some kind that you and your players are in. If that is the case, then the other team should definitely be aware that there are gonna be teams that are simply better than themselves.

If you were running up the score (I know you mention that isn't kept track of) then that would be something that you should not be doing. But, by your description, you were shutting them down and so that is fair game. I think it would be a huge detriment to the development of your players if you told them to slack off on defense.

If it was a pick up game, then that is a different matter.
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject:

I guess it's just how it is. That's why they don't keep score.
Everybody know who won, but not keeping scores is a way to say "hey it's not bad if you lost because you don't really lost".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: