Ryan Kelly revisited
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

the main reason bazemore's been impressive is that MDA's trusted him with ballhandling duties and he's proven to be adept at it. i still find it hard to believe that that's his future role with the team, particularly when kobe comes back. kelly on the other hand has more of a set position. he could easily fit in with ball dominant starters.

defensively kelly is way underrated, sadly i think simply because he's white.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
the main reason bazemore's been impressive is that MDA's trusted him with ballhandling duties and he's proven to be adept at it. i still find it hard to believe that that's his future role with the team, particularly when kobe comes back. kelly on the other hand has more of a set position. he could easily fit in with ball dominant starters.

bazemore succeeds out of triple threat position right at the 3point line,not off the dribble ,as well. he can drive out of that position/ he can catch and shoot / he does a pull up J out of it. plus he's a really good defender w/alot of potential on that side of the ball. for these reasons , i think he can fit next to any players. and i also think that Kobe will need alot more help creating
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

I think he is one of the only bright spots for this season, outside of whatever happens in the offseason, he's shown a lot of skills.

He has shown he is a good defender through various defensive assignments that he probably wouldn't have if we had more depth. Him bodying up lamarcus aldridge and not backing down? That was very interesting.

Now he's showing he is an adequate shotblocker. Something we definitely could use from the powerforward position.

We knew he would be a stretch forward, but his dribbling and passing abilities are ahead of the curve. He even has a pretty nice midrange game.

I like him a lot, a steal by our much maligned staff.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Kelly was basically a 1st round pick for us last year. So good to see him develop.
FromTheWestSideWithLove
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject:

So I guess trading away our first round picks aren't that big of a deal???
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject:

jorkerjork wrote:
Always liked his game. 9th in my mock draft. And he's arguably a top five rookie this year--only Mason Plumlee, Gorgui Dieng, MCW, Olynyk have higher PERs: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/rookies.

In before someone bags on PER and if they don't then only because it tells a story that they want to hear!

As for R Kelly, I like him. He reminds me of a more talented Luke Walton. I don't think you'll ever see him trying to bite off more than he can chew. And thats not a bad thing for a player to just know who he is.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jorkerjork wrote:
Always liked his game. 9th in my mock draft. And he's arguably a top five rookie this year--only Mason Plumlee, Gorgui Dieng, MCW, Olynyk have higher PERs: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/rookies.

In before someone bags on PER and if they don't then only because it tells a story that they want to hear!

As for R Kelly, I like him. He reminds me of a more talented Luke Walton. I don't think you'll ever see him trying to bite off more than he can chew. And thats not a bad thing for a player to just know who he is.

Luke was a pretty good player back in the day. Injuries slowed him down a lot. Far better passer than Kelly. Actually more comfortable and better in the post, imo.

Kelly is a better shooter and is much lankier which allows him to be a better team defender. Both are atrocious man defenders.

If Kelly had Luke's post up and play making ability he'd be really good, but he does everything solid and doesn't make mistakes. Not the most exciting prospect but I think he is solid enough.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jorkerjork wrote:

Luke was a pretty good player back in the day. Injuries slowed him down a lot. Far better passer than Kelly. Actually more comfortable and better in the post, imo.

Kelly is a better shooter and is much lankier which allows him to be a better team defender. Both are atrocious man defenders.

If Kelly had Luke's post up and play making ability he'd be really good, but he does everything solid and doesn't make mistakes. Not the most exciting prospect but I think he is solid enough.
Kelly is a lot more athletic than Luke. Luke is great at posting up smaller guards and he's a better passer, although he forces his passes a little too much at times because he can't shoot. Kelly right now is not strong enough to post up against opposing 4's, though he can take them off the dribble. It'll be interesting to see his game next year if he can add about 10-15 lbs of muscle over the summer.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject:

jorkerjork wrote:
By the way, his doppelganger in this year's draft is Frank Kaminsky (if he enters). Same style.

Good point, they play very similar actually.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
TheElectronica wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jorkerjork wrote:

Kelly is a lot more athletic than Luke. Luke is great at posting up smaller guards and he's a better passer, although he forces his passes a little too much at times because he can't shoot. Kelly right now is not strong enough to post up against opposing 4's, though he can take them off the dribble. It'll be interesting to see his game next year if he can add about 10-15 lbs of muscle over the summer.

luke couldn't shoot. he was pretty much a system/pass-only player. it's just a terrible, reverse-racist comparison. "he reminds me of the last white guy..."
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Ryan Kelly will get stronger and faster with NBA level training.

Is Dirk considered fast?

dirk is 7 feet tall with the highest shot release in the game so he doesnt have to create as much separation ; so he doesnt need the speed/quickness.

& you dont think that Kelly was doing as good of training as possible at freaking DUKE UNIVERSITY? + he's already improved in the athleticism category, how much more do you think is really attainable for Ryan Kelly?

just be happy that we drafted a solid bench piece or 5th man starter in the 2nd round, man. feel like you want him to be more than that? lol

I agree with most of this, but not 100%. Only reason is, there are plenty of guys in this league that have had great careers who werent freakish athletes. Guys like Larry Bird come to mind. Laughable athlete, but his brains and skillset and sheer will allowed him to dominate.

Before gettin all crazy, im not comparing Kelly to Larry Legend. Just pointing out that his fundamentals and BBQIQ might be third to only Nash and Kobe on this team. He also seems to have mental toughness, kinda the same way Kaman does, they got them viking genes man lol. He gets passionate and doesnt back down.

As far as NBA level training, thats where i disagree. With the money hes making and the fact that it is now his Job to train and play basketball (not go to class), he will definitely benefit in the department. Dont forget to that hes probably still growing slightly, and his body will fill out more naturally. I graduated high school at 6'4" and 180lb., by the time i was 25 i was 230lb with the same waist size, but had to wear baggy style jeans to fit my legs in em hah.

Hes not the second coming, but show me someone we drafted in the 2nd round whos better. Like others have said, some experts pegged him as a lottery pick before his foot energy. This is why. Hes got a game that is mature beyond his years...with room to improve.
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Any of you guys familiar enough with Ryan Anderson's game to try a detailed comparison? Not being all that familiar with how he does what he does, I only know Anderson by reputation- but the strengths seem similar -and very useful for most modern NBA offenses.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Ryno is taking notes on his doubters and will be busting more ass next season on a (hopefully) better team.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject:

[quote="greenfrog"]
DocK36 wrote:
TheElectronica wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jorkerjork wrote:

I was down on Kelly since he was hurt when we got him and he missed training camp. But Kelly has played like a first team all-rookie this year and has been one of the few bright spots.

I see him as a solid backup PF or a 5th starter if we had a good strong team otherwise. Imagine him as the starting PF (when's ours all basically sucked) in the glory Shaq/Kobe days. Imagine if Kelly had been the 5th player instead of Deaven Geogre back in the day.

Kelly is tall and shoots well (sort of like a Travis Knight or Slava Medadenko), well schooled in college and thinks well on the court passing and taking advanatage of matchups. (like a Luke Walton) and shows the ability to play some team defense and improve as a player (I think how Lamar Odom became a better rebounder over time, or DJ turned into Congo cash).

Could Kelly become a 8-10 ppg and 5 rebound guy? Even on a good laker team, I'd say yes.
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject:

I Like Kelly he has shown he was well coached in Duke, Doesn't do anything outside of what he knows he can, plays very good team defense and even his man on man is pretty good he just needs to bulk up a bit, he is also very adaptable and i feel he can play as well in a run n gun as he could play in a half court game, and also he has something that you can not teach he has an incredible basketball IQ.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject:

I'm still not sold on Kelly's BBQIQ though. Feels like he'll put ketchup on a steak.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject:

Kelly has a lot of solid abilities and good instincts that, if continued to be improved upon will make him a very good role-player asset.

He has continued to add muscle without getting slower, he's learning the NBA game and is really starting to take advantage of how he is being defended and (sometimes) partially ignored.

He can stand to be a little more aggressive but, that's just not in his personality because it would certainly lead to more turnovers and moments of looking lost and out of control. He still does that from time-to-time but he's not like a lot of the guys on the squad whose sole interest appears to be to put up big numbers in this very bad situation.

I like what he's done this season as well as his upside. He's just going through the NBA maturation process, something that more athletic players struggle with but he seems to really be gaining momentum in that way, which is huge.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I'm still not sold on Kelly's BBQIQ though. Feels like he'll put ketchup on a steak.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Ryan Kelly will get stronger and faster with NBA level training.

Is Dirk considered fast?

dirk is 7 feet tall with the highest shot release in the game so he doesnt have to create as much separation ; so he doesnt need the speed/quickness.

& you dont think that Kelly was doing as good of training as possible at freaking DUKE UNIVERSITY? + he's already improved in the athleticism category, how much more do you think is really attainable for Ryan Kelly?

just be happy that we drafted a solid bench piece or 5th man starter in the 2nd round, man. feel like you want him to be more than that? lol

Apparently he wasn't doing a lot of strength training at freaking DUKE UNIVERSITY....

Even Kevin Love who went to freaking UCLA came out of college as an overweight player who when he got to the NBA had to hire a personal chef to help him keep his weight down.

Sacre has come out to say that the Pro training has helped him become more athletic.

Ryan Kelly will get stronger as he matures and continues his strength training.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

He's Copernicus compared to some of the mental light weights on this team. If Wes, "Swaggy" and X had his pattern recognition and instincts they'd be all-stars.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

He's Copernicus compared to some of the mental light weights on this team. If Wes, "Swaggy" and X had his pattern recognition and instincts they'd be all-stars.

Someone may have ingested too many fumes from the grill...
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Someone may have ingested too many fumes from the grill...

doh! >himself
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

I think a more appropriate comparison would be ketchup on a sirloin, he isn't prime rib yet.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Wow, Ryan Kelly (41st draft pick) is outperforming the charlottes number 4 draft pick Cody Zeller. Kelly is averaging 7.5 points compared to Zellers 5.4 points per game.

Good steal by the Lakers!
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Kelly was 48th.
And points isn't all that matter.

Here is, on 48 minutes, a comparison between the 2:
Kelly: ..17,5 pts .8,0 rebs ..3,4 asts .1,8 blks ..1,1 stls .1,6 TO .5,5 fouls .43.2%FG .37.2% 3-pts
Zeller: 16,5 pts .12,3 rebs .3,3 asts .1,4 blks .1,4 stls .2,8 TO .5,9 fouls. 42.4%FG

Then there are the more complicated stats that I don't put because... well don't know how it works.

So Kelly is a good steal indeed.
I still want to see that in the future. I think his ceiling is way lower than Zeller's and other guys drafted higher.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: