Ryan Kelly revisited
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan Kelly revisited

Lakerpark wrote:
I wanted to revisit the topic of Ryan Kelly.

I know I talked about him when he first started getting playing time and was so impressed I named him to the the heir apparent to Pau who at the time was playing so uninspired...and many here jumped all over me.

First off, I have to admit that Pau has been playing very well on the offensive side and has stepped it up on defense also...I guess we'll never know what his problem was back then.

But anyways, I have been happy to see continuous growth in Ryan Kelly. He is shooting the ball more aggressively and also driving to the hoop. He has been making good passes, played smart, some people say he has been playing decent defense..even blocking some shots.

While he may not be the successor to Pau, I see him as a combination of Pau and Lamar...actually taking the best attributes of each of them to form a nice hybrid forward.

Ryan Kelly has:
Some height like Gasol
Can pass like Gasol...(I'm not saying as good as Pau, but he does make some nice passes.
Can handle the ball some like Lamar
Can rebound like both but definitely has room to improve.

Kelly can shoot outside better than both Pau and Lamar

Doesn't have bonehead momets like LO
Is starting to show some inside moves....lots of room for improvement here.

Anyways, I'm optimistic about Ryan's future...he's very versatile.

Anyone feel the same?

Ryan is a nice role player to be sure, but stop comparing him to Pau Gasol. Aside from a hairy face, thin frame and being tall, they are nothing alike as players. It's insulting to Pau that you keep doing that.

He's also not a combination of Pau and Lamar ... two extremely skilled and versatile players. I don't care how good Ryan has looked for being the last pick in the draft, he has not at any moment ever looked like star caliber player or like he could or would one day become a star caliber player. He has looked like a nice rotation player who still rebounds far too anemically for my liking. Lamar looked like top 5 talent even before he was drafted ... he just lacked the drive to be great at all times. Pau has always looked like an elite big man from the moment he was drafted ... he just denies his inner black swan most of the time.

I say let's just appreciate players for what they are instead of making unrealistic comparisons to players whose level they won't reach and don't much resemble. Not all tall guys who can dribble are a Lamar Odom type of player (Ryan doesn't even have a whiff of LO's court vision, passing abilities or level of handle). Not all tall, skinny, hairy guys are a Pau Gasol (no part of Ryan's game resembles Pau's at all, only his messy Euro look does).

Having said that, Ryan has been a very pleasant surprise and much better than anyone thought he would be ... much better than Derek Character ultimately proved to be with his late selection in the draft.
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Kelly can't rebound like Gasol or Odom. He is not a very good rebounder.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I say let's just appreciate players for what they are instead of making unrealistic comparisons to players whose level they won't reach and don't much resemble. Not all tall guys who can dribble are a Lamar Odom type of player (Ryan doesn't even have a whiff of LO's court vision, passing abilities or level of handle). Not all tall, skinny, hairy guys are a Pau Gasol (no part of Ryan's game resembles Pau's at all, only his messy Euro look does).

well what good is all that talent if you don't know to use it? plenty of people in prison are talented. i agree that he's nothing like pau, but he's already a better slasher and driver than lamar. that guy was an offensive foul waiting to happen, nor was he ever a "star" unless you count marrying a kardashian.

as far as the handle and passing ability, lamar's low basketball IQ prevented him from ever truly utilizing those skills. kelly is obviously not going to be a point forward, but neither was lamar.
KB24DB
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't sure of him at the time he got drafted but he's a little better than expected. Could see him become a very good role player.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan Kelly revisited

LakerJam wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

I know I talked about him when he first started getting playing time and was so impressed I named him to the the heir apparent to Pau who at the time was playing so uninspired...and many here jumped all over me.

First off, I have to admit that Pau has been playing very well on the offensive side and has stepped it up on defense also...I guess we'll never know what his problem was back then.

But anyways, I have been happy to see continuous growth in Ryan Kelly. He is shooting the ball more aggressively and also driving to the hoop. He has been making good passes, played smart, some people say he has been playing decent defense..even blocking some shots.

While he may not be the successor to Pau, I see him as a combination of Pau and Lamar...actually taking the best attributes of each of them to form a nice hybrid forward.

Ryan Kelly has:
Some height like Gasol
Can pass like Gasol...(I'm not saying as good as Pau, but he does make some nice passes.

Anyone feel the same?

Ryan is a nice role player to be sure, but stop comparing him to Pau Gasol. Aside from a hairy face, thin frame and being tall, they are nothing alike as players. It's insulting to Pau that you keep doing that.

He's also not a combination of Pau and Lamar ... two extremely skilled and versatile players. I don't care how good Ryan has looked for being the last pick in the draft, he has not at any moment ever looked like star caliber player or like he could or would one day become a star caliber player. He has looked like a nice rotation player who still rebounds far too anemically for my liking. Lamar looked like top 5 talent even before he was drafted ... he just lacked the drive to be great at all times. Pau has always looked like an elite big man from the moment he was drafted ... he just denies his inner black swan most of the time.

Having said that, Ryan has been a very pleasant surprise and much better than anyone thought he would be ... much better than Derek Character ultimately proved to be with his late selection in the draft.

Some of us thought he might be this good...
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan Kelly revisited

24 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Ryan Kelly has:
Some height like Gasol

Anyone feel the same?

I rather not get into a debate...although that is what these forums are for....

Sometimes I wish people would read the original posts more carefully before critiquing it.

I was pointing out similarities between the players. In most of my comments I actually had a disclaimer or caveat, such as "...(I'm not saying as good as Pau, but he does make some nice passes.
" or " but definitely has room to improve".

Anyways, it was an opinion and everyone the right to their opinion.

Where was this great court vision that some claim Lamar had? I never saw it....Lamar was a great defensive rebounder and had very good handles for someone his size...I can't say I ever saw him handle the ball under great pressure. The fact that he is tall allowed him to see over the defense and pass out of upcoming pressure.....but he was no Ernie D or Steve Nash or even Magic Johnson.

IMO, Kelly has already shown a more versatile offensive game than Lamar and I never saw Pau play when he was young...

Kelly has shown himself to be a very intelligent player who has the ability to learn....How much did Lamar improve over his years with the Lakers or overall in his career? (I'm asking, not telling). And Ryan is just in his first year.

Ryan Kelly is not Pau or Lamar, but he has some common skills and has potential if he develops them.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan Kelly revisited

LakerJam wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Ryan Kelly has:
Some height like Gasol

Anyone feel the same?

And also, nowhere in the original post did I say he plays like Pau...

"....While he may not be the successor to Pau, I see him as a combination of Pau and Lamar...actually taking the best attributes of each of them to form a nice hybrid forward....."

My apologies to everyone...but I'm getting tired of getting flamed by guys who don't read my wording carefully.

My apologies to Lakerjam, I do not mean to start a war with you.

respectfully,

LP
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan Kelly revisited

Lakerpark wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Ryan Kelly has:
Some height like Gasol

Anyone feel the same?

And also, nowhere in the original post did I say he plays like Pau...

"....While he may not be the successor to Pau, I see him as a combination of Pau and Lamar...actually taking the best attributes of each of them to form a nice hybrid forward....."

My apologies to everyone...but I'm getting tired of getting flamed by guys who don't read my wording carefully.

My apologies to Lakerjam, I do not mean to start a war with you.

respectfully,

LP

You say that he might combine the best attributes of both Pau and Lamar. That statement strongly implies that if they have all of those two players greatest strengths, but don't really have their weaknesses, then he will end up being at least as good as either of those players.

I think you need to do a more detailed analysis if you want us to understand what you are trying to say. Please include Kelly's weaknesses and make sure you don't overstate Pau's and LO's weaknesses.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan Kelly revisited

Lakerpark wrote:
24 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Ryan Kelly has:
Some height like Gasol

Anyone feel the same?

I rather not get into a debate...although that is what these forums are for....

Sometimes I wish people would read the original posts more carefully before critiquing it.

I was pointing out similarities between the players. In most of my comments I actually had a disclaimer or caveat, such as "...(I'm not saying as good as Pau, but he does make some nice passes.
" or " but definitely has room to improve".

Anyways, it was an opinion and everyone the right to their opinion.

Where was this great court vision that some claim Lamar had? I never saw it....Lamar was a great defensive rebounder and had very good handles for someone his size...I can't say I ever saw him handle the ball under great pressure. The fact that he is tall allowed him to see over the defense and pass out of upcoming pressure.....but he was no Ernie D or Steve Nash or even Magic Johnson.

IMO, Kelly has already shown a more versatile offensive game than Lamar and I never saw Pau play when he was young...

Kelly has shown himself to be a very intelligent player who has the ability to learn....How much did Lamar improve over his years with the Lakers or overall in his career? (I'm asking, not telling). And Ryan is just in his first year.

Ryan Kelly is not Pau or Lamar, but he has some common skills and has potential if he develops them.

he improved quite a bit defensively and on the boards IMO from when he was on the clippers, which was probably inevitable as his body filled out. that's about it. i doubt kelly ever becomes as good in those areas, but that doesn't mean he wont improve in his own way. offensively, for all the hype lamar had, i think kelly actually has a higher ceiling, especially in this day and age of the stretch 4.
threetimechamps
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan Kelly revisited

Lakerpark wrote:

Ryan Kelly has:
Some height like Gasol

Anyone feel the same?

Absolutely NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!He is neither Gasol nor Odom. He cannot post, handle the ball, nor pass like either one. Lets just allow R.Kelly to grow a bit and see what he does next year. He needs to get stronger physically and develop a more consistent parameter shot.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

Read the draft thread, I was thrilled when we got him. I said at the time that we got a first round player in the second round. And I see the comparisons of his game with that of Pau. Kelly will never be as good as Pau, but the PF who creates for others fits them both. They both are just as likely to set up a teammate as they are to score themselves.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Read the draft thread, I was thrilled when we got him. I said at the time that we got a first round player in the second round. And I see the comparisons of his game with that of Pau. Kelly will never be as good as Pau, but the PF who creates for others fits them both. They both are just as likely to set up a teammate as they are to score themselves.

did kelly get any post-ups in college? all i remember, when he wasn't injured, was him shooting 3's
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Thank you!
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

ok now I have heard everything.....ryan Kelley is a 3rd string player at best. I know the talent has been really bad on the lakers but to now make ryan Kelley something he is not....there should be no threads on ryan Kelley.
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Somehow, Ilardi's offensive rater gave him a higher offensive rating than Blake Griffin. But still: this guy's offense is the real deal. Defensively is a whole 'nother story.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Gosh, we're not saying he is as good as Gasol or even Lamar....some of us are just saying he has similar skills like Pau or even Lamar....like being a good and willing passer and having above average ball handling skills for a big man.

Stop thinking in absolutes....we're talking about degrees....("...Only a Sith thinks in absolutes...")

It would be like if someone asked you which NBA player plays the same style as you do. If you said Pau, you wouldn't mean you are as good as him, just that you have a similar playing style.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

did kelly get any post-ups in college? all i remember, when he wasn't injured, was him shooting 3's

Not very much. And the knock on him coming out was the he wasn't a very good rebounder.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Okay so I did, and you are full of it. Here are your two post pick comments..

"Apparently he is engaged to Bill Cower's daughter."

"Got our stretch PF."

Is that trilled or am I missing something? No need to make stuff up. You jumped on the bandwagon after others started hyping him in other threads. Here's the truth, Jackobe was the only one pre-pick who called it.... he wrote before the draft

"Ryan Kelly or Seth Curry.

Kelly can be a good stretch 4

Seth can be a 3p specialist."

In the draft thread Jackobe, Lakerlanny, thereal1, and Atticus can all claim to be very pro-pick dragging the rest of us along. Hey, Kelly was a damaged goods pick, dropped on injury out of the first round, the kind of thing most non-NBA scouts have little info on, so can't fault that, but only a handful posted on this call.
busym
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Kelly w a great pick. Since he played at Duke he knows how to play
He has some skill s and is smart. He will only improve. I am glad he is on the Laker team.,
PauXXL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Kelly has no business playing in the NBA
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Romano338 wrote:
Kelly can't rebound like Gasol or Odom. He is not a very good rebounder.

His activity on the glass is pathetic. He gets pushed around and taken advantage of. He doesn't have the tools or the skillset to properly box out.

He's a better perimeter defender and a shot blocker though. He's surprisingly athletic and I think he could he taught to be a decent team defender. He's more suited to playing the three than the four though.

On offense, he's a lot better. Good moves, decent footwork and a good improvisational skills. But his shot lacks range and he's a bit of a one trick pony with that shot fake and drive thing he does.
SemperMalum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject:

I want to keep him because of this:

Ryan Kelly sings I Believe I can Fly
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Kelly has good basketball instincts and skills..... however he is not a good rebounder, his 42% fg is not good and he is not a good defender. I do believe he will improve his shooting, however because of his slight build rebounding will be a challenge, and if he plays as a pf that will always be a problem, if he plays as a sf rebounding will be less of a problem. Kelly needs to get stronger in order to become a regular role player. It will be interesting to see how Kelly develops. He has NBA skills but his slight build is a problem.

The one thing that Kelly has that you can't teach, is he always plays team basketball and he plays hard.
cyclo7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Kelly has good basketball instincts and skills..... however he is not a good rebounder, his 42% fg is not good and he is not a good defender. I do believe he will improve his shooting, however because of his slight build rebounding will be a challenge, and if he plays as a pf that will always be a problem, if he plays as a sf rebounding will be less of a problem. Kelly needs to get stronger in order to become a regular role player. It will be interesting to see how Kelly develops. He has NBA skills but his slight build is a problem.

The one thing that Kelly has that you can't teach, is he always plays team basketball and he plays hard.

He plays hard yet refuses to rebound? What's your definition of plays hard? One who tries to get open on the perimeter for a 3-point shot?

Is rebounding a talent or a matter of effort?
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject:

cyclo7 wrote:
Voices wrote:

He plays hard yet refuses to rebound? What's your definition of plays hard? One who tries to get open on the perimeter for a 3-point shot?

Is rebounding a talent or a matter of effort?

Why do you say he refuses to rebound? When you are long and lean it makes it difficult to rebound in the NBA. Does not matter how hard you play if you get pushed around. At 6' 11" 230 pounds his base is not very sturdy, his center of gravity is to high. Rebounding is a combination of effort strength and talent. Kelly weakness is rebounding if he does not get stronger he may find it hard to get playing time in the NBA.
And keep in mind he plays for MDA....shooting the three is a major part of MDA system, don't blame Kelly for doing what his coach want him to do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: