Ryan Kelly revisited
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject:

SemperMalum wrote:
I want to keep him because of this:

Ryan Kelly sings I Believe I can Fly

Awesome
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
cyclo7 wrote:
Voices wrote:
Kelly has good basketball instincts and skills..... however he is not a good rebounder, his 42% fg is not good and he is not a good defender. I do believe he will improve his shooting, however because of his slight build rebounding will be a challenge, and if he plays as a pf that will always be a problem, if he plays as a sf rebounding will be less of a problem. Kelly needs to get stronger in order to become a regular role player. It will be interesting to see how Kelly develops. He has NBA skills but his slight build is a problem.

The one thing that Kelly has that you can't teach, is he always plays team basketball and he plays hard.

He plays hard yet refuses to rebound? What's your definition of plays hard? One who tries to get open on the perimeter for a 3-point shot?

Is rebounding a talent or a matter of effort?

Why do you say he refuses to rebound? When you are long and lean it makes it difficult to rebound in the NBA. Does not matter how hard you play if you get pushed around. At 6' 11" 230 pounds his base is not very sturdy, his center of gravity is to high. Rebounding is a combination of effort strength and talent. Kelly weakness is rebounding if he does not get stronger he may find it hard to get playing time in the NBA.
And keep in mind he plays for MDA....shooting the three is a major part of MDA system, don't blame Kelly for doing what his coach want him to do.

What were Pau and Dirk like when they were rookies? Were they tall and thin? Did they bulk up over the years? Pau is still kind of frail and he rebounds fairly well.

I would expect with proper training and nutrition I would hope he should get up around 250 eventually.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
Voices wrote:
cyclo7 wrote:
Voices wrote:
Kelly has good basketball instincts and skills..... however he is not a good rebounder, his 42% fg is not good and he is not a good defender. I do believe he will improve his shooting, however because of his slight build rebounding will be a challenge, and if he plays as a pf that will always be a problem, if he plays as a sf rebounding will be less of a problem. Kelly needs to get stronger in order to become a regular role player. It will be interesting to see how Kelly develops. He has NBA skills but his slight build is a problem.

The one thing that Kelly has that you can't teach, is he always plays team basketball and he plays hard.

He plays hard yet refuses to rebound? What's your definition of plays hard? One who tries to get open on the perimeter for a 3-point shot?

Is rebounding a talent or a matter of effort?

Why do you say he refuses to rebound? When you are long and lean it makes it difficult to rebound in the NBA. Does not matter how hard you play if you get pushed around. At 6' 11" 230 pounds his base is not very sturdy, his center of gravity is to high. Rebounding is a combination of effort strength and talent. Kelly weakness is rebounding if he does not get stronger he may find it hard to get playing time in the NBA.
And keep in mind he plays for MDA....shooting the three is a major part of MDA system, don't blame Kelly for doing what his coach want him to do.

What were Pau and Dirk like when they were rookies? Were they tall and thin? Did they bulk up over the years? Pau is still kind of frail and he rebounds fairly well.

I would expect with proper training and nutrition I would hope he should get up around 250 eventually.

Gasol has always been a good rebounder, he was never as skinny as Kelly and he is a couple inches longer, plus Gasol played in the post a lot which kept him close to the basket, which makes it easier to get rebounds. Gasol is so much better than Kelly. Gasol as a rookie average 18 points and 9 rebounds, pretty much his career average.

In 2010 Gasol was flirting with superstar status, then for reason unknown the wheels came off and Gasol has been anything but a superstar since then, however comparing Kelly to Gasol is reach.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Kelly wasn't a good rebounder in college, I think if he can average 6 in 18-20 mpg we should be happy.
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:

He needs to play with a defensive-minded, rebounding machine center to really glue up his weaknesses on those fronts. But he's interesting. He's like a 6'11" shooting guard, but also with an insane foul drawing rate. I actually like that quirk the most.
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Kelly wasn't a good rebounder in college, I think if he can average 6 in 18-20 mpg we should be happy.

6 in 20 minutes is already a high number!
That's more than Andrew Bynum, Andersen (decent/good rebounder in a team with nobody to rebound) and it's a bit under what Reggie Evans does.
Kelly is far from that level.
If he can average 4.5 per 20 minutes, I think it would be awesome right now (he is at 3.5 in over 21 minutes).
That's really not his thing. 6/20 (or 9/30) is over what Favors or Gibson are doing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: