Lakers Leaning Toward Retaining Mike D'Antoni For 14-15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 9m

Past 3 weeks I've been told Lakers will decide Mike D'Antoni's future when season ends. I'm told Lakers are leaning toward keeping him.
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject:

tom wrote:
Quote:

Past 3 weeks I've been told Lakers will decide Mike D'Antoni's future when season ends. I'm told Lakers are leaning toward keeping him.

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:
In addition I'd say Boris Diaw is a better defender now than he was under MDA.

Fat Diaw did a very surprisingly great job guarding Lebron in the Finals.
guarding lebron isnt as hard as you think. you have to be a tweener to pull it off.

Sf/PF. meaning you have to be quick enough to stay in front of him and strong enough to deal with him when he starts to go into bulldoze mode or if he tries to back you in.

boris is a tweener guy. not many guys like him in the nba. most tweeners are stretch 4's. guys that are thin, athletic, can shoot. but cant stop a PF to save their lives.because they are to thin and not strong enough. this does not describe boris.

boris actually played solid defense for the suns for a year or so as well. and in stints. he was at his best with the suns. sure he's done pretty good with the spurs. basically diaw needs structure of a good team. if the team is bad diaw will be flabby and sorry out there.

marion played solid defense under mda.

so did raja bell
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject:

up until last week I thought he was going to stay. Now the season ticket holders are screaming and they have to make a change somewhere. Mitch has to go or Mike dantoni........since we know jim buss wont fire himself.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Nordvader wrote:
You barely have room to talk PNP when I pointed out your statement was false about D'Antoni:

postandpivot wrote:
mda isnt in phoenix because phoenix decided to go with more cost savings. that made them go out and get another type of team. no reason for mda to stay around for a rebuilding project.

You decided to say:

postandpivot wrote:
good find. i still stand by it. they were not going to spend more cash after that.

You can't be in the business of asking people not to lie about something and standing by a false statement even after you were corrected with facts.
sure i can. i still stand by what i said. and i aint moving off of it. i explained that to you in the other thread. so please dont piece quote to make your point.

i will call out lies when i see them. i dont go around lying for the sake of an agenda. first off. i never wanted mda to begin with. go look up my old posts when we had phil. some hear on LG swore that MDA's offense with the suns (7 seconds or less) which we dont run...was the best offense in the nba because it produced so many points and at that time we couldnt beat them in the playoffs(with a less team of course).

i said then mda's 7 secs or less offense isnt made to also play defense. you cant run that fast, play that fast and expect guys to have enough gas in the tank for defense. but he had to do what he had to do with who he had on that roster. amare non defender. so now he has to put marion at PF to speed the game up and lucky for him marion was a solid defender on most non thick pf's and most Sf's and even some sg's if need be. same with diaw. nash couldnt defend. barbosa was to thin/short of a guy to really defend any 6'5+ sgs when he and nash were on the floor together.

so mda was pushed into a situation where he had to go with a run and gun mentality. have never seen a run n gun coach go with run in gun while shaq is at center. or timmy d is at pf. NEVER. i see the run n gun when they realize they cant defend well enough to beat good teams so they have to try to out score people.

well guess what happened with our lakers with all the injuries and all the young guys and just a lack of talent on the defensive end. we have to outscore teams. and mda is the perfect coach for that situation. which is the situation we're still in until something changes. then to boot. there are no superstar coaches out there to get. so once again we're going to fire another coach just to fire another coach with no real plan on who out there can take us to the promise land if we even had a top level roster.

thats why i'm not in the rush to fire the guy.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
foshowtime wrote:

NBA players don't become great defensive players due to coaching.

Tom Thibodeau would like to have a word. So would Gregg Popovich, heck when you compare what D'Antoni has done, so would Phil.

I mentioned Thibs. He also has great defensive players and so did Phil. Actually, Phil was asked whats the best way to create a good defense, he said to get good defensive players. This is part of the reason Phil prefers to play veterans.

Also, look at the Lakers' defense when Phil first came back. It wasnt that great.

Coaches do come up with overall team defensive concepts. It is up to the players to buy in. Some Players are great defenders from the beginning, and some players usually veterans buy into the defensive team concept in years where they have a chance at a ring.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
av3773 wrote:
I can't say I know much about Ollie, I am aware of what he has done at UConn the last 2 years, which is impressive. Would be an interesting direction to go, I think the Lakers can use an infusion of positive energy, perhaps a coaching hire such as this might be part of it....a lot still seems up in the air

At least for me, I can go with an inspired hire like Ollie and if it doesn't work out, I'm ok with that. That's why I'm not harsh on the FO re: Nash/Howard, it was worth the gamble. It failed horribly, but I appreciate the onions it took to make such a move.

I fear that we may go conservative based on our recent failures. To do that with coaching would be a shame IMO.
we wont go conservative. because there's no such conservative coach to run to at this point. all the old guard is retired and done. then there's the new breed and the retreads. so we either hire a retread we think can fit for us going forward or we hire an ollie type.

"Conservative" for me = retreads. Get the familiar/sentimental name: Byron Scott, get the family friend: Dunleavy, get guys like Karl, etc.

I get that we have Kobe, but we need to also find our next coach and give him the room to grow and develop the team. Heck, Miami went with Spolestra; Indy went with Vogel. Guys who were with the team and have institutional memory. Maybe that's one route and I do see that we're grooming one in Madsen.

And I understand that mixed results with college coaches in the NBA as well. But I will insist, even though it's unlikely, that Ollie is the best choice.
for all i know. Ollie is the man. i wont fight it. cause like his old coach said this morning. the guy is a fighter. he was never that good in college. he sure as heck wasnt that good in the nba .yet he had a 13 yr career. and here he is coaching. when i heard he was coaching i was like WHO? WHY HIM? but he's been hearing that his entire life i bet. and here he is. so sure he could be that next guy. i'm not fighting any hire they make. thats how questionable the crop of names are out there. i cant call it. before mike brown. i said i want adelman. solid offense solid defense knows how to work with young talented for the future if need be. knows how to work with vets(but hasnt seen the finals in this era of basketball(a concern of mine).

karl is a solid coach. but like mda even though karl preaches defense. his teams were uptempo teams. because he never had lock down defenders in the paint. which proves my theory on mda. you set up mda with kg or noah at center. and mda would look like a pretty good defensive coach. you give him gasol and he will have that guy chucking 3's to compensate for the lack of defense. thats his mentality. if i cant beat you this way. i'll out score you.

but all these coaches are questionable in this era. karl couldnt get nene, jr smith, melo, and bird man to buy in 100%. he did get that batch of "lesser talented individually but more talent combined"..to play hard every night. but they clipped him because he couldnt take them to the finals. as if that team was good enough to be in the finals. lol at that.

So i'm not sure what karl could do with the lakers.

every new name may be ran out of town because of the pressures of being a L.A. coach. it can be too much for a lot of guys. especially non nba guys or nba coaches that have only coached in small cities(hollins).

there isnt a single coach i think kobe and gasol(if he's back) would listen to more so then the next guy. because non of them are phil. non of them have nba rings on their fingers. so when times get tough kobe/gasol will be right there vetoing the coaches moves. you cant have that.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
up until last week I thought he was going to stay. Now the season ticket holders are screaming and they have to make a change somewhere. Mitch has to go or Mike dantoni........since we know jim buss wont fire himself.
so you want magic wand mitch to go? just to see someone go? wow. crazed fans for real.
cyclo7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Jim Buss isn't going to fire a coach who's under contract for 2 more years. He doesn't want to win that bad.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:

cyclo7 wrote:
Jim Buss isn't going to fire a coach who's under contract for 2 more years. He doesn't want to win that bad.

One of those years is a team option.
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject:

cyclo7 wrote:

how do you know how much he wants to win??
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
another silly post.

so Jim is selfish when he made that move for cp3 and had dwight waiting in the wings? got rid of old man gasol for he really started breaking down on us. that was selfish? or was it selfish that cuban, jordan, and dan gilbert cried about the trade. and got it revoked by stern?

oh so it was selfish to then have a plan C after being blindsided by stern for the nixed deal. and to go get nash(who was perfectly healthy the year before)?

oh so was it selfish for jim to mention to his dad and mitch "lets at least give phil a call and see where his head is"?

stop it with these post folks. you dont have to lie on the guy. just because the lakers are bad now doesnt mean the FO is selfish or worthless or bad. it means we've won so much so often its time for us to do a full rebuild. we tried to reload with the cp3 deal. they blew that up. that forced us into a full REBUILD mode. jerry buss wasnt a selfish owner after the magic era and we had to wait 10+ years for another ring. and we had a team with no stars on it for years. i mean i never once thought Doc buss was selfish.

And another silly post debunking your delusions. here's what you missed because you're enamored with your opinion as being the universal truth.

1) CP3 is not a jim brain child. The opportunity was there and Mitch did most of the work. so everything you whined about is blah blah blah.

2) if you understand the dynamics of Jim and his hatred for the triangle you wouldn't be so astronomically naive about Jim's inclusion of Phil in his "search" for a coach. Read what Jeanie said in her memoirs regarding that process and how she was hurt by her brother's "disingenuous" attempt to include Phil. You can still believe Jim's intention to call Phil in and having Mitch call late at night to say "you don't have the job," something Phil calls "slimy" - as a purely for the benefit of the organization if you want. it's your world.

I don't have to lie about anything. you can draw your own conclusions. I believe in Magic Johnson when he calls out Jim - He's saying from his heart and being in the know - "Jim buss has to get his ego out of running the Lakers."

Only Phil has said himself that he thinks it was Dr. Buss who passed on him, so count him amongst those who disagree with you.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DimesnD wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
another silly post.

so Jim is selfish when he made that move for cp3 and had dwight waiting in the wings? got rid of old man gasol for he really started breaking down on us. that was selfish? or was it selfish that cuban, jordan, and dan gilbert cried about the trade. and got it revoked by stern?

oh so it was selfish to then have a plan C after being blindsided by stern for the nixed deal. and to go get nash(who was perfectly healthy the year before)?

oh so was it selfish for jim to mention to his dad and mitch "lets at least give phil a call and see where his head is"?

stop it with these post folks. you dont have to lie on the guy. just because the lakers are bad now doesnt mean the FO is selfish or worthless or bad. it means we've won so much so often its time for us to do a full rebuild. we tried to reload with the cp3 deal. they blew that up. that forced us into a full REBUILD mode. jerry buss wasnt a selfish owner after the magic era and we had to wait 10+ years for another ring. and we had a team with no stars on it for years. i mean i never once thought Doc buss was selfish.

And another silly post debunking your delusions. here's what you missed because you're enamored with your opinion as being the universal truth.

1) CP3 is not a jim brain child. The opportunity was there and Mitch did most of the work. so everything you whined about is blah blah blah.

2) if you understand the dynamics of Jim and his hatred for the triangle you wouldn't be so astronomically naive about Jim's inclusion of Phil in his "search" for a coach. Read what Jeanie said in her memoirs regarding that process and how she was hurt by her brother's "disingenuous" attempt to include Phil. You can still believe Jim's intention to call Phil in and having Mitch call late at night to say "you don't have the job," something Phil calls "slimy" - as a purely for the benefit of the organization if you want. it's your world.

I don't have to lie about anything. you can draw your own conclusions. I believe in Magic Johnson when he calls out Jim - He's saying from his heart and being in the know - "Jim buss has to get his ego out of running the Lakers."

Only Phil has said himself that he thinks it was Dr. Buss who passed on him, so count him amongst those who disagree with you.

Yet Jeanie (who would have more knowledge about the whole process than Phil) said she was betrayed by her brother, not her dad.

There are different angles of the story. Different opinions.

Only fact is that Jim Buss played a big role in the hiring of MDA. Who made the final call, etc etc has been discussed about to death here.

Jim Buss interviewed Phil and went to Jeanie to see if him and Phil could work together. He ran the show in the hunt for a new coach.

Therefore, he deserves a lot of the responsibility of the MDA hire. Does he deserve all of it? Probably not, but a big portion of it.

Your goal is to pretend that Jim only played a small role in the hire, if any at all. That it's all on Jerry Buss.

That angle of yours is not working now, and it has never worked.

Or another one of your favorite angles is that Jim's role was identical in the MDA hire as it was with the Phil hire in 05, Mike Brown in 11. Wrong. Jerry was the one leading the charge in those hires. He was the one getting more involved and he was interviewing people and meeting with them. That didn't happen with MDA due to Jerry's declining health. Big difference in Jim's role in the MDA hire compared to the other hires.

Last edited by Krispy Kreme on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject:

tom wrote:

I really doubt it. the Lakers know, there gonna feel a whole world of pressure from season ticket holders, they are gonna ask for the firing of MDA..... the Lakers priority has always been being loyal to there fans... at least under Dr. Buss's watch... let's hope that trend continues.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

If Jim Buss wanted Phil Jackson to be the coach, he would have been the coach. Point blank.
jab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

I know I am not alone, but I just want to say.....If MDA coaches next year, regardless of what FA or FAs we acquire, despite whomever we draft....I just want watch. I have watched the fewest Laker games this year dating back to the 70s when very few came on TV. BTW, if I am boycotting, I feel many others will as well, including at the ticket gates.
jab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

before the editors jump in...i meant WONT watch
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:
Why are fans excepting the possibilty that MDA is coming back? We have to hit the streets and protest if they try to bring that clown back. There is no way I'm watching this team next year if he's the coach.

We accept it because we've learned to expect that of all the possible decisions to be made, Jim Buss will make the one that defies the most logic.

So yeah, D'Antoni is staying.

1. Jim doesn't want to pay two coaches.
2. Firing D'Antoni is admitting he done (bleep) up, and his fragile ego won't let him admit defeat.
3. He wants to let the rest of the league know that the Lakers don't fire coaches.
4. Next year's another tank year, so why not ride it out with Pringles in the last year of his deal?

Now if Jimbo's world...this makes total sense. The problem is that Jimbo's world is one which is completely divorced from reality.

And so is your's apparently....to pretend you know what Jim is doing/thinking.

That's like a totally witty comeback.

It's a message board where we're all free to speculate and offer points of view which may differ from your own.

Last edited by K28 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DimesnD wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
another silly post.

Yet Jeanie (who would have more knowledge about the whole process than Phil) said she was betrayed by her brother, not her dad.

Only fact is that Jim Buss played a big role in the hiring of MDA. Who made the final call, etc etc has been discussed about to death here.

Jim Buss interviewed Phil and went to Jeanie to see if him and Phil could work together. He ran the show in the hunt for a new coach.

Therefore, he deserves a lot of the responsibility of the MDA hire. Does he deserve all of it? Probably not, but a big portion of it.

Your goal is to pretend that Jim only played a small role in the hire, if any at all. That it's all on Jerry Buss.

Or another one of your favorite angles is that Jim's role was identical in the MDA hire as it was with the Phil hire in 05, Mike Brown in 11. Wrong. Jerry was the one leading the charge in those hires. He was the one getting more involved and he was interviewing people and meeting with them. That didn't happen with MDA due to Jerry's declining health. Big difference in Jim's role in the MDA hire compared to the other hires.
wait so we ignore phil's own words to keep the agenda alive. Your Honor we are calling witness Jeanie Buss aka the most tainted of the witnesses. the guy's fiance. that always wanted him to be in the lakers FO or coach the lakers or both.lol. and we're supposed to take every word a woman says about her boo/beau ... stop it.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject:

jab wrote:
I know I am not alone, but I just want to say.....If MDA coaches next year, regardless of what FA or FAs we acquire, despite whomever we draft....I just want watch. I have watched the fewest Laker games this year dating back to the 70s when very few came on TV. BTW, if I am boycotting, I feel many others will as well, including at the ticket gates.
bye bye. dont watch. if you dont realize this is a players league. shame on you.

if you cant see that our guys are hurt beyond belief. and thats the main culprit of our issues. shame on you.

dont
watch.

the lakers wont miss you.

lol at swearing you wont watch after a horrible season drowning in injuries. so if we end up with melo, LBJ, and irving. but mda is the head coach. you still wont watch? LOL at that.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DimesnD wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
another silly post.

wait so we ignore phil's own words to keep the agenda alive. Your Honor we are calling witness Jeanie Buss aka the most tainted of the witnesses. the guy's fiance. that always wanted him to be in the lakers FO or coach the lakers or both.lol. and we're supposed to take every word a woman says about her boo/beau ... stop it.

Stop what? I already said there's different viewpoints and angles to the story. But Jim was heavily involved in the coaching search. I never said Jeanie's word was fact.

Read before you ask me to "stop it".
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
jab wrote:
bye bye. dont watch. if you dont realize this is a players league. shame on you.

if you cant see that our guys are hurt beyond belief. and thats the main culprit of our issues. shame on you.

dont
watch.

the lakers wont miss you.

lol at swearing you wont watch after a horrible season drowning in injuries. so if we end up with melo, LBJ, and irving. but mda is the head coach. you still wont watch? LOL at that.

Give it a rest buddy.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
If Jim Buss wanted Phil Jackson to be the coach, he would have been the coach. Point blank.

I think Phil might have had a say in the matter as well and there is no indication he was interested in coaching here or anywhere else.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

I think Phil might have had a say in the matter as well and there is no indication he was interested in coaching here or anywhere else.

Phil Jackson wanted the job, long been established. But if that's the narrative you want to stick with, then go right ahead. That's your story and you're sticking to it. I don't blame you for coming up with something to try and make sense of the terrible decision.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Phil Jackson wanted the job, long been established. But if that's the narrative you want to stick with, then go right ahead. That's your story and you're sticking to it. I don't blame you for coming up with something to try and make sense of the terrible decision.

I don't think Phil wanted to coach again. He was considering it when Mitch and Jim came to his house but it was shutdown later the next early morning by bringing in the coach who has led this franchise to their worst record of all time lol.

Phil was aiming for a upper management position ever since he retired.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23
Jump to: