Spurs have won 19 in a row (tied for 6th longest)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Spurs have won 19 in a row (tied for 6th longest)

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO -- Tony Parker had 18 points and eight assists and Tim Duncan had 15 points and eight rebounds as the San Antonio Spurs rolled to a 111-90 victory over the Golden State Warriors on Wednesday night, extending their franchise-record winning streak to 19 games.

San Antonio (59-16) extended its league-leading record to four games over the Thunder City (54-19) ahead of their matchup Thursday night in Oklahoma City.

Longest win streaks ever.
Lakers - 33
Heat - 27
Rockets - 22
Capitols & Bucks - 20
Lakers, Celtics & Spurs - 19

Or 5th longest how ever you want to look at it.

Last edited by eureca on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Impressive. They've smashed the squads they were supposed to beat and worked some really good playoffs teams.

Last edited by doughboy90650 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Impressive. They've smashed the squads they were supposed to beat to worked some really good playoffs teams.

They completely dismantled Indiana.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Business as usual. Especially when they fall short in the playoffs, yet again.

But maybe this year will finally be the year.

!...
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Yes, yes! Come on PhillyDoc, you know you want to make a prediction.

There isn't a better time to do it either. Spurs are in total domination mode unlike last year just prior to the playoffs w/ the Lakers. Just one little prediction...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

Pop may not rate ahead of Riles or Phil, but he's a master of resting patterns and gimmickry. Seems like it distorts the normal course of events for a good team that's been around for a long time, even though they also find perfect fit after perfect fit for their game style and small market. We had to sit here and grouse about LA being too worn out in 2011, even with much of the same core that won two titles. They don't ever seem to run on fumes or grind metal in the RS, even in the years where they do get beat in the POs. That's not easy to do, RS or not. I'm more envious of -that- than I have been of any playoff success they've had, which is only on par with what the Lakers have done since 2000.

Indy will rue this skid they've had if and when they get beat by Miami in a Gm 7. Their coaching staff has to be concerned that they've peaked too early, though they'll never admit it publicly.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject:

I respect the Spurs even though I am not a fan of theirs.

The only way the team goes bad is when Timmy retires.

Until then, the Lakers could learn a thing or two about ways of preserving a core of old players and mixing youth the next time the Lakers are championship contenders.

Bye.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:

Until then, the Lakers could learn a thing or two about ways of preserving a core of old players and mixing youth the next time the Lakers are championship contenders.

Bye.

Every year, I think they're done. I just don't get it. They are amazing and should be working on back to back titles.

Lakers couldn't build like them with the current core because Kobe is a volume shooter. Lets say he takes a step back and shoot at the volume of Manu, but then Pau is still no Duncan. And who would be as good as Parker? It's just much easier to build around a dominant post who's also a willing passer. The Spurs just move the ball around like crazy. I can't imagine Duncan retiring after this season. Not with how they're playing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

I wouldn't count them out, especially this year. Maybe the western conference is deeper this year, but they are even better than they were last year. Plus Miami is worn down and beaten this year as well, so maybe the Spurs will learn and not choke like they did last year.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject:

playing @OKC tomorrow. If it doesn't end there it wont end for the rest of the season.

Yes this is taking account that they are probably going to be resting starters for the last few games since they are so far ahead and that we're playing them for our last game.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

I guess 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007 didn't happen. This sounds like a comment about a team like The Atlanta Braves or 90's Buffalo Bills.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:

Bye.

I don't get the hate against the Spurs way of doing business. They have a tiny market. It's not like free agents are flocking to San Antonio. They draft wisely (Kahwai Leonard the last great pick). They scout well internationally. They keep their payroll reasonable. Their old HOF star takes a voluntary paycut. The players are loyal to Pop. It's a great system.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

I guess 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007 didn't happen. This sounds like a comment about a team like The Atlanta Braves or 90's Buffalo Bills.

The spurs were heavily favored with ref help from 03-07
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
gumby wrote:

Bye.

Every year, I think they're done. I just don't get it. They are amazing and should be working on back to back titles.

Lakers couldn't build like them with the current core because Kobe is a volume shooter. Lets say he takes a step back and shoot at the volume of Manu, but then Pau is still no Duncan. And who would be as good as Parker? It's just much easier to build around a dominant post who's also a willing passer. The Spurs just move the ball around like crazy. I can't imagine Duncan retiring after this season. Not with how they're playing.

The Spurs are the perfect marriage between a historically great big and great management. They are showing why teams continually go big over small. It's just easier to build around a big if you don't F stuff up. Aside from Russell, Duncan is the only elite pivot that has had a team give him the type of support that he needs every year. When he leaves you will see a huge difference. Pop knows this, which is probably why he says he is retiring when Duncan does.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

And what's crazy is how close they were to making the Finals again in 2004 (Fisher shot), 2006 (Manu dumb foul on the Dirk and-1) and winning last year (Allen shot).
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
KBH wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

The spurs were heavily favored with ref help from 03-07

I'm sure.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:

There isn't a better time to do it either. Spurs are in total domination mode unlike last year just prior to the playoffs w/ the Lakers. Just one little prediction...

I don't think he'll be responding bro. Doubt he has internet privileges in the looney bin. I can just see him now walking the suicide watch halls, in his white hospital gown with his ass showing, holding a headless Ray Allen action figure and speaking in tongues.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
gumby wrote:

Bye.

I don't get the hate against the Spurs way of doing business. They have a tiny market. It's not like free agents are flocking to San Antonio. They draft wisely (Kahwai Leonard the last great pick). They scout well internationally. They keep their payroll reasonable. Their old HOF star takes a voluntary paycut. The players are loyal to Pop. It's a great system.

The Spurs really run their business well. Unfortunately they seem to peak a couple weeks too early every year...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
K2 wrote:

I don't think he'll be responding bro. Doubt he has internet privileges in the looney bin. I can just see him now walking the suicide watch halls, in his white hospital gown with his ass showing, holding a headless Ray Allen action figure and speaking in tongues.

Yeah, I think that Ray Allen 3 pushed PD over the edge.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
K2 wrote:

Yeah, I think that Ray Allen 3 pushed PD over the edge.

Yup! It's time for the annual PhillyDoc jinx boys!! hahahahah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
gumby wrote:

Bye.

That is all true. It is also true that they primarily rely on the unusual confluence of 3 guys who have stayed together and healthy enough for more than a decade to take turns leading the team (Duncan was first, but Manu became as important for a while, and the last several years, including the last title, Parker has been the most important), while being willing to take significantly less than market value, allowing the team to have the capital to spend on role players around them. And Pop is a witch, just no way to deny that. But even he has benefited from being in SA and not LA. Here, he'd be eaten alive for not bringing a title since 2007.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

It also helps when your owner is the right hand of Stern (or more likely vice versa), and gets to negotiate a series of CBA's that hamstring his oppositiion.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Look at it as if you had a baby when the Spurs won their last title, they would be going to school now. It looks like this will be the Clippers year (if they stay healthy).
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gumby wrote:

Bye.

That is all true. It is also true that they primarily rely on the unusual confluence of 3 guys who have stayed together and healthy enough for more than a decade to take turns leading the team (Duncan was first, but Manu became as important for a while, and the last several years, including the last title, Parker has been the most important), while being willing to take significantly less than market value, allowing the team to have the capital to spend on role players around them. And Pop is a witch, just no way to deny that. But even he has benefited from being in SA and not LA. Here, he'd be eaten alive for not bringing a title since 2007.

I don't think any Spur has ever been "as important" as Duncan in his tenure. Manu and Parker don't have the defensive impact that Duncan has and it's not as if he's an afterthought offensively. Without Duncan they wouldn't win squat. Even know, I think the Spurs would be better off losing Parker than Duncan. I think Pop knows this as well, which is why he is abandoning ship once Duncan retires.

Spot on about the stars sacrificing the dollars, but it's easier to do when the superstar sets the tone and takes one himself.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gumby wrote:

Bye.

I don't think any Spur has ever been "as important" as Duncan in his tenure. Manu and Parker don't have the defensive impact that Duncan has and it's not as if he's an afterthought offensively. Without Duncan they wouldn't win squat. Even know, I think the Spurs would be better off losing Parker than Duncan. I think Pop knows this as well, which is why he is abandoning ship once Duncan retires.

Spot on about the stars sacrificing the dollars, but it's easier to do when the superstar sets the tone and takes one himself.

Maybe we quantify important differently. Perhaps if I said take the lead we'd be closer in idea. Right now, Parker is the guy who sets the tone and allows Duncan and Manu to pick their spots. Couple that with a cohesive mix and match crew that pop specializes in, and they can sit various guys and just rock on.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: