Any other workout fanatics here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

Anyone use phone apps to track progress

Oddly enough this will be one of the first times I ever get really serious about my health..

I once had an awesome job installing robotics equipment and working 72 hours per week and had a hot Taiwanese girlfriend and still managed to workout six days per week.. I think I can do a little better than I have been

I saw a man in his early thirties jogging the other day. He looked like he spent the last four or five years in a cubicle programming away... flaccid muscle tone and man boobs ..but the (bleep) was doing something to improve his life. I cheered him and recognized if he can do it so can I.

I currently have a beard for the second time ever in my 43 years in this physical form. I am ready!

I have been remarking lately that our mind owns our life..do we own our mind?

Just had some 8 mile "Lose Yourself" lines go through my head..
Make me King
A New World Order
Success is my only (bleep) option. Failures not!

*I was once able to rep out 275 x 15 at u of o.. I know my potential. .just got to get to livn!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:

Oddly enough this will be one of the first times I ever get really serious about my health..

I once had an awesome job installing robotics equipment and working 72 hours per week and had a hot Taiwanese girlfriend and still managed to workout six days per week.. I think I can do a little better than I have been

I saw a man in his early thirties jogging the other day. He looked like he spent the last four or five years in a cubicle programming away... flaccid muscle tone and man boobs ..but the (bleep) was doing something to improve his life. I cheered him and recognized if he can do it so can I.

I currently have a beard for the second time ever in my 43 years in this physical form. I am ready!

I have been remarking lately that our mind owns our life..do we own our mind?

Just had some 8 mile "Lose Yourself" lines go through my head..
Make me King
A New World Order
Success is my only (bleep) option. Failures not!

*I was once able to rep out 275 x 15 at u of o.. I know my potential. .just got to get to livn!

Apps are good for counting calories if you are meticulous about it. There are a few other ones that use your GPS for running/cycling etc.

Whatever keeps you engaged in maintaining the lifestyle gets a thumbs up from me.

I know people who use the fitbit device ( or something similar) and just by virtue of the fact that it tallies how many steps they take, they find themselves walking more just to see if they can improve.

Whatever it takes my friend.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:

For tracking calories and/or carb intake, the MyFitnessPal app seems to work fairly well. Their food database has many types of foods already listed by other members, so chances are that you'll find it in there without needing to lookup the nutrition components elsewhere. If you eat a certain meal combination regularly, you can just select that entire meal combination and plug it into the tracker. As it keeps a constant running total, you're able to adjust your intake accordingly throughout the day and stay on course.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I've used "Lose It" before when I was tracking calories but dont anymore. I use the Nike Running app a lot and it's great because it compares all of your runs so you're always competing with yourself, trying to set a new personal best.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject:

http://i.imgur.com/p5XT1YM.jpg

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject:

So, I'm thinking of getting running shoes. I'd wear them for lifting weights, sprints, jobs, stairs, etc. I'd probably wear them when going to the mall, or doing anything else that would require me to walk a lot.

I've heard good things about Asics, and have tried the Nimbus, Cumulus and Kayano. The Cumulus kind of impressed me the most, although it was a bit tight. Not sure if I have wide feet - for the wide ones I tried, it was definitely more comfortable, yet it still felt slightly lose near the ankle.

Not sure what works for you guys, but it's kind of hard picking through the endless brands/models of shoes.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
So, I'm thinking of getting running shoes. I'd wear them for lifting weights, sprints, jobs, stairs, etc. I'd probably wear them when going to the mall, or doing anything else that would require me to walk a lot.

I've heard good things about Asics, and have tried the Nimbus, Cumulus and Kayano. The Cumulus kind of impressed me the most, although it was a bit tight. Not sure if I have wide feet - for the wide ones I tried, it was definitely more comfortable, yet it still felt slightly lose near the ankle.

Not sure what works for you guys, but it's kind of hard picking through the endless brands/models of shoes.

So, I went over to DSW, looking to possibly score a deal, and I sure did. Bought the Asics Gel Kayano 20's - Normal price is $150, but these were 50% off for whatever reason at about $75. Probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn in my life. Only slight issue is some pressure in the toes in one of my shoes - Perhaps lacing has something to do with that.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

I have the New Balance Minimus Zero shoes; they are pretty damn sweet, and they do help me with weight lifting as well.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

cisternachyli wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I have the New Balance Minimus Zero shoes; they are pretty damn sweet, and they do help me with weight lifting as well.

I use Minimus too but DAMN do they wear out. I load up on them when they're on sale at the outlet.

Definitely try these minimalist style shoes before buying though. I know some people that just can't get used to the lack of padding.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

I have more shoes than my girlfriend does, most of them sports related. I have about 5 pairs of football boots, 4 or 5 martial arts shoes, a couple of running hoes, some cycling shoes, some that I wear just for weightlifting. My life gets complicated when it comes to selecting what shoes to wear...

If you want running shoes and are serious about them, my advice would be to go to a running shop, and get them to find a pair that suit your feet (width, arch, etc,,,) and then the surfaces you will be running on. You can get a very comfortable pair then that don't hurt your feet to run in at all.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
choylaychunkuen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject:

I just starting working out again after a 2 year layoff. Now my workout is different than from the past. I started about 2 weeks ago. My training regimen is this: M-Pull ups: close and wide grip. T-Overhead Press: dumbells. W-Push ups. Thurs-Curls:dumbells. Fri-Goblet Squats. As many reps with 1-2min rest, perfect form, all within 1hr. Increase in weight every month. All this is done at home, but will go back to the gym in a couple of months. Want to see if this workout strategy brings reults that i want before I go back to the gym.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

choylaychunkuen wrote:
I just starting working out again after a 2 year layoff. Now my workout is different than from the past. I started about 2 weeks ago. My training regimen is this: M-Pull ups: close and wide grip. T-Overhead Press: dumbells. W-Push ups. Thurs-Curls:dumbells. Fri-Goblet Squats. As many reps with 1-2min rest, perfect form, all within 1hr. Increase in weight every month. All this is done at home, but will go back to the gym in a couple of months. Want to see if this workout strategy brings reults that i want before I go back to the gym.

Props! For anything and everything positive you do and especially for keeping notes and progress charts..

I hate it and love it but DIET is King esp when you age
Vitamin Cottage /Natural Grocers sells like 16 servings of whey for $9 iirc..their brand
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Any of you guys try Quest Bars? They are, IMO, the best protein bars available - My favorites are the Cookie Dough, Choc. Brownie, and Cinnamon Roll. Not cheap, but not too expensive. Gonna see if I can score a good deal online.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Going back to exercising, I've been noticing that I have a problem with phlegm/mucus in the back of my throat when running. It's very distracting, and sometimes I even have to just stop, and walk for a while. It sucks when you're stopping for anything other than being winded or muscle soreness/pain. I really don't eat before a run, and just drink water. Not sure what the cause could be.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Any of you guys try Quest Bars? They are, IMO, the best protein bars available - My favorites are the Cookie Dough, Choc. Brownie, and Cinnamon Roll. Not cheap, but not too expensive. Gonna see if I can score a good deal online.

Check slickdeals and put a deal alert for them. I load up when I can get them for ~ 16-17/box.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Check slickdeals and put a deal alert for them. I load up when I can get them for ~ 16-17/box.

I was gonna say the same thing. I love Quest bars...for a cheaper alternative protein bar that's still pretty tasty, I get Powercrunch bars from Trader Joes for like a buck. They have wafers in them which makes it feel like more of a candy bar. Downside is they're only 13-14 grams of protein compared to Quest's 20 grams.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: