Any other workout fanatics here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
500 push-ups, 1, 000 pull-ups, and 2, 000 Hindu squats a day helps a lot. Trust me.

I'll take things you can do in a jail cell for 500 Alec.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Conker wrote:
500 push-ups, 1, 000 pull-ups, and 2, 000 Hindu squats a day helps a lot. Trust me.

Man you need ta quit

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Conker wrote:

Baldwin?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SP_Fever
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject:

Jen Selter, that is all.
Phil Jackson (June 17th, 2009):"What was our model of this team? The Ring, the ring, that was the model. Its not just this band of gold, its the circle that's made a bond between all of these players, a great love for one another, its a great feeling."
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

I'm about 160 5'10-5'11. 7% body fat. I'm trying to cut a little bit more so I'm in the gym 4-5 times a week for about an hour and a half. I'm trying my best to get a six pack. I've never had one before even though I've always been skinny with a fast metabolism.

7% body fat is ripped. When I'm cut I tend to sit anywhere between 5-7% and that is mega lean, my abs are very defined when I finish cutting. At bulking stage I'm about 12% or so and still have pretty defined abs then.

If you're at 7% you should have pretty visible rip game already.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

I go for a 3 mile walk almost every day, that is it for me. But it works. My goal was to lose weight, and by walking regularly and cutting portion sizes, I have lost 65 pounds since the middle of 2010. The best thing is that everything I am doing is sustainable, no short cuts.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject:

56 wrote:
for supplements I only use this Muscle Milk Whey Protein from Costco, I just picked it up because it had the highest amount of protein per serving lol (27g).

I'd recommend looking more at the percentage of protein per serving than the amount. A lot of proteins just come with a larger scoop(35-40g) which just means more filler. I myself like to use Gold Standard or Dymatize elite which have like a 31g scoop and 24g of protein per scoop.

It all depends on what your goal is. These are lean proteins for people who want to build muscle but also lose some weight(fat). There other proteins are good for people who are already lean and are looking to add mass that will help them build more muscle.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

For me I'm trying to build muscle while leaning out. I've gone from 285lb's in 2012 to 195. The key for me is the diet. NOT going on a diet but cleaning up your daily diet; the foods you eat on a regular basis.

Chicken breast, turkey, egg whites, greek yogurt, spinach, asparagus, almonds and protein shakes are where I get most of my protein from. They're all lean sources. I'll eat oatmeal, Kashi Go Lean cereal or high fiber wheat bread/tortillas for carbs(mostly in the morning to fuel the day or before a workout). Lots of veggies(greens: spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, peppers, onions, broccoli, avocado), a good amount of fruit(bananas, green apples, oranges, grapes) and I'll also combine them to make green juice.

Water, water, water is always important too.

Like anything, knowledge will get you a long way. Know what your body needs in terms of calories and macros(carbs/proteins/fats) and adjust that to suit your goals. When working out, figure out what you wanna go for and then figure out what the best way to get there is. More weight doesn't necessarily mean more muscle, it just means more strength. For muscle building you want to damage the muscle as much as possible before you let it recover/rebuild itself so it will grow. Slow controlled reps are what's gonna do that. More time under tension = more damage.

I like to end my workouts with a burnout. Just go with a lighter weight until failure or I'll do triple drop-sets until failure. I've gotten great results from that. Fasted morning cardio also helps with weight loss or cardio after lifting(when your body is already in fat burning mode). Tabata workouts are also very effective and great if you're not trying to spend an hour or two at the gym; you can do it in 20-30 minutes and do it anywhere since you dont need any equipment. I definitely recommend those to anyone trying to burn fat or just exercise without having to go to/pay for a gym.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
56 wrote:
for supplements I only use this Muscle Milk Whey Protein from Costco, I just picked it up because it had the highest amount of protein per serving lol (27g).

I'd recommend looking more at the percentage of protein per serving than the amount. A lot of proteins just come with a larger scoop(35-40g) which just means more filler. I myself like to use Gold Standard or Dymatize elite which have like a 31g scoop and 24g of protein per scoop.

It all depends on what your goal is. These are lean proteins for people who want to build muscle but also lose some weight(fat). There other proteins are good for people who are already lean and are looking to add mass that will help them build more muscle.

Good looking out...I was about to ask people for their recommendations on protein powders. I literally am clueless as to what I should actually be looking for. I want protein. I want it to taste fairly good. I don't want it to make me fat.

Last edited by leor_77 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I go for a 3 mile walk almost every day, that is it for me. But it works. My goal was to lose weight, and by walking regularly and cutting portion sizes, I have lost 65 pounds since the middle of 2010. The best thing is that everything I am doing is sustainable, no short cuts.

Congrats - Cardio is the most important thing, but I think you would benefit from strength/resistance training. Having more muscle may increase your metabolism, and make it easier to lose weight. It also can become freaking addictive, in a good way. I literally am pissed off today because I want to do push-ups (as well as some other exercises), but I can't because it's still sore from the previous workout. Definitely an addiction you want to have.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
56 wrote:

Good looking out...I was about to ask people for their recommendations on protein powders. I literally am clueless as to what I should actually be looking for. I want protein. I want it to taste fairly good. I don't want it to make me fat.

Yeah, I recommend those two(Gold Standard by Optimum Nutrition or Dymatize Elite) for just a great lean source of protein with like 120 calories per scoop, 24g of protein and less than 3g of carbs or fat. These are good for people who don't really wanna gain much weight but want to build some muscle. It's also good for anyone as a post workout drink since it's pretty much pure protein and fast absorbing. The weight gainers are good for just that: gaining weight and casein is a good choice for a morning snack or a bedtime snack since its slow absorbing it will either fuel your muscles all day or help them rebuild overnight while they're recovering.

I used to take 2 scoops at a time(50g of protein) but stopped doing that after I learned that your body can only absorb about 30 grams of protein at a time and the rest is just gonna be used for energy, basically wasted IMO.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject:

^I used to use Gold Standard and I loved the taste of it, but it's a little on the expensive side. Also the whey protein I use is 35g per scoop and 27g protein so the ratio of grams of protein to serving size in grams is actually slightly higher than Gold Standard's. It doesn't taste as good as Gold Standard and a little high on the cholesterol side but I'm not too worried about that. I mean 1 whole egg has 62% of daily value of cholesterol and I've been fine eating 3-4 for breakfast every other day (I am currently bulking though). And for the amount I receive, it's actually cheaper.

As for the 30g protein at a time, I saw that a while ago as well and believed it for a while but I don't believe that anymore. I don't have the science to disprove it's accuracy, but from my experience it doesn't seem very accurate. Once I tried the whole 30g protein per meal, but increasing my meals and I didn't notice any difference from before. I just found it a big hassle spreading out my meals. I resorted back with no problem.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:

Is this some kind of crossfit?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject:

56 wrote:
^I used to use Gold Standard and I loved the taste of it, but it's a little on the expensive side. Also the whey protein I use is 35g per scoop and 27g protein so the ratio of grams of protein to serving size in grams is actually slightly higher than Gold Standard's. It doesn't taste as good as Gold Standard and a little high on the cholesterol side but I'm not too worried about that. I mean 1 whole egg has 62% of daily value of cholesterol and I've been fine eating 3-4 for breakfast every other day (I am currently bulking though). And for the amount I receive, it's actually cheaper.

As for the 30g protein at a time, I saw that a while ago as well and believed it for a while but I don't believe that anymore. I don't have the science to disprove it's accuracy, but from my experience it doesn't seem very accurate. Once I tried the whole 30g protein per meal, but increasing my meals and I didn't notice any difference from before. I just found it a big hassle spreading out my meals. I resorted back with no problem.

Yeah, whatever works is the way to go. I typically will eat more than 30 grams of protein when I have chicken or turkey but when I'm doing shakes, I only do 1 scoop. I just didn't notice a difference from 1 scoop to 2 scoops in results so I felt I was wasting it. Like you said, that stuff is pricy so I like to make it last lol.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Oh same here dude, I just prefer to eat only 3 meals a day with about 60-80g protein/meal. I never have used more than 1 scoop of Whey protein in 1 sitting.

Most of my protein shakes nowadays are actually homemade weight-gainers:

1 1/2 cups Milk
1/2 of a banana
3 Tbsps Peanut Butter
1 serving of Whey Protein

~650 calories and about 55g of Protein. Tastes amazing as well.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Finally have started paying attention to my legs! Had a very intense workout with squats (combined with sprints) yesterday and I've been feeling it big-time today. You definitely feel it walking, but feel it much more when you're sitting down or getting up from a chair, or in and out of your car (i.e. squat motion). It's a GREAT pain, though, so I'm happy. Makes you sleep like a baby.

Also, pretty happy I got some good high intensity cardio, as well. Sprints, stairs, etc.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject:

56 wrote:
Oh same here dude, I just prefer to eat only 3 meals a day with about 60-80g protein/meal. I never have used more than 1 scoop of Whey protein in 1 sitting.

Most of my protein shakes nowadays are actually homemade weight-gainers:

1 1/2 cups Milk
1/2 of a banana
3 Tbsps Peanut Butter
1 serving of Whey Protein

~650 calories and about 55g of Protein. Tastes amazing as well.

Nice. nothing mixes better than banana and PB.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Finally have started paying attention to my legs! Had a very intense workout with squats (combined with sprints) yesterday and I've been feeling it big-time today. You definitely feel it walking, but feel it much more when you're sitting down or getting up from a chair, or in and out of your car (i.e. squat motion). It's a GREAT pain, though, so I'm happy. Makes you sleep like a baby.

Also, pretty happy I got some good high intensity cardio, as well. Sprints, stairs, etc.

Awesome. Yeah, legs are very important because they're your biggest muscles(your quads and hammys) and exercises for legs like squats and deadlifts are compound exercises which work the whole body which will burn the most fat.

If you think the day after leg day is bad, wait til 2 days after leg day.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Conker wrote:

Is this some kind of crossfit?

He's just joking (I think?).
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

Quick question for you guys...Last Friday, I was feeling and looking really jacked. Had a great squat session, as well as a really good chest workout, and a little bit or arms.

I had to take a break to let my legs heal (still feeling it a little bit today), and because I had a lot of HW, but I feel and look skinnier. My pants are also falling down. With that said, when I step on the scale, I weigh more. I'm not worried about my weight one way or another, but just don't want to lose that much mass (especially muscle mass) if I have to take a little break.

I also feel hungrier than normal, even on days when I'm not working out. Is this just a case of muscles weighing more than fat? Kind of confused.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Well during/right after a workout, you're on what is called "the pump"; all of your muscles are pumped up from being damaged and the blood rushing into them. So you will always look much more ripped right after the workout. Usually within an hour or so it'll wear off and you'll go back to normal but the difference will make you feel smaller.

As for the weight gain, if you're doing compound exercises like squats, deadlifts and bench press it will help burn fat. So you'll lose fat while putting on muscle(the fat wont "turn into muscle" as some people believe). Muscle is denser than fat so you can get leaner and look thinner but end up weighing more. Pay more attention to BMI than just your weight. It's more accurate when measuring how fit you are.

And whenever you start lifting, you're gonna start to see an increase in appetite. I always say listen to your body - if it says it wants food, then eat - but try not to go overboard either. You could also just be dehydrated from sweating during exercise and that will make you feel hungry when all you need is to rehydrate.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject:

^^Thanks for the great info.

In the meantime, I've been very happy with the results I'm getting on my squats. Imagine walking up an incline/hill, and you just power up it like it's nothing. It feels like I'm going downhill anytime I go uphill.

You MUST do squats. It's not even about the looks - You'll kill it during your cardio sessions, and walking, jogging, running, etc. will all become much easier.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Btw any thoughts on my chipotle lunches? Like I said, I try to make them as healthy as possible. Its tough with my coworkers lol

That will depend on macronutrient goals you're aiming for (carbs/proteins/fats), he mentioned that cutting carbs might help you get to where you want to be. Brown rice is healthy, however it does have quite a bit of carbs. I'm seriously addicted to Chipotle too, but had to cut out the carbs for while which meant leaving out the rice/beans and going with fajita veggies/lettuce/meat/pico de gallo (no corn) etc.

You can try the Chipotle nutrition calculator to customize it to your macros:
https://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/nutrition_calculator/nutrition_calculator.aspx
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
What are your goals?

Body-weight exercises are good, but deadlift, squat and bench should be a staple of your routine. Squat and deadlift especially work the whole body while adding strength.

I imagine you, like most people (and myself), hate cardio, so what I would recommend to make it easier is the following:

on days you lift (let's say MWF), go for a walk after. Nothing too strenuous, keep your heart rate up, but walk for about 15-20. If you have a treadmill, set it to around 3 and put the incline to max (or near max, if you are particularly tired).

On days you do not - HIIT. I would recommend 1 on/1off sprints; do HIIT for about 20 minutes, follow it up with another 10-15 of walking as a cool down. Do that, say, Tuesday and thursday.

Rest on the weekends. Don't worry about lifting or body weights - give yourself a much deserved rest. Add weight steadily (5 pound each routine, each MWF) and you will develop strength (slowly but surely) and, if you do lifts like squat, overhead press, deadlift - you will do so over your whole body. If you are looking for definition primarily, then the biggest factor is simply your diet. Your muscles (once they are developed) will only show if you have a lower body fat. Cardio/diet will help with the latter; lifts for the former.

If you tell me your goals I can might be able to provide more information or direct you to programs I like. I do the above and I am lifting a lot more than I used to be able to in what has been a relatively short amount of time. I am somewhat lax with my diet, however, and I pretty much despise cardio so I could be better, but I have seen good gains thus far.

can you send me your workout? my goal is to gain mass but still be cut at the same time. getting cut like kobe will be perfect. not trying to be ron artest or lebron or anything. i have maybe 3 days to lift, i can play bball on the wkends
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure if this is a setback, or just par for the course, but I wanted (and still want) to really upgrade by cardio. I didn't do any weights today. Just did some hardcore sprints, stairs, jogging, etc.

It felt like my lungs were burning. I was also a little nauseous. I suspect the nausea had something to do with water intake, as I chugged a ton of water, and felt a little better, in that regard. Felt a little out of breath for about an hour afterwards. I'm not sure if this is normal, due to being a bit out of cardiovascular shape, or if it's something else.

If it's normal, I might have to take a step back. Do power-walking, with some light jogging here and there. Rather get in shape more gradually/slowly, than to deal with some of these physical things.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: