Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Mad props Johnny

Here is some anthony robbins

"Youll never love your life until you Love your body"

Thanks homie.

Christ, you lost almost 100 lbs in 8 months. GJ!

I really need to cut out the alcohol though. It's making the cutting so much harder but damn, I 'm so weak .
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Been training my dad this year, he's trying to lose weight. He was about 280 at the start of the year, and is already down to about 245.

His goal is to get down to about 220 by new year's day, he's been putting in some serious work. Feels weird because when I was a kid he'd be the guy on the sidelines shouting at me when I played sports, trying to fire me up, now the tables are turned

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:

Ultimately, just do what works for you.....The most important thing is to find something that you ENJOY, because that makes it infinitely easier to stick with it.

The two best pieces of fitness advice a person can give/take right here.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
How's everyone doing?

Leor - still kicking butt?

Loslakerss - hows the new routine going?

CMB - are you back to being 1998 Malone-esque

Still on the same routine(just finished my 7th week) and loving it because I'm still seeing results. I think after maybe 12 weeks I'll switch it up but I've been making gains and leaning out a bit too while being more flexible with my diet. I'm pretty happy right now.

Hope everyone else is making progress as well.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

You guys make me wanna work out so bad.

My general background for anyone who is interested:

I was always skinny growing up. Graduated highschool and weighed about 119lbs. Im around 5'9..At about 22 years old i started "bulking" and managed to get to 147lbs in about a year or year and a half (you guys have no idea how 'big' this was for me). I was pretty happy, by the time i started working full time after college i completely erradicated my gym life and before i knew it, im at the doctor getting a physical, i look at the scale.. bam 162lbs.

I knew i was growing a beer belly but always told myself i was skinny. I cut down a bit on food. Sat at 159lbs for a good time. Finally hit the gym again in february till now (going to brazil so it motivated me a bit more). Dropped to about 156lbs and felt good. Around 3 weeks ago i started T25 and dropped.. man i sweat like a pig!!! Im down to 153lbs right now and feel gooda bout it. My goal is to be at 145ish by the time i leave to brazil (19th of June). I plan to start lifting again on saturday. Hopefully i can do T25 in the morning and hit the weights at night.

Gonna be hard but ima try my best.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a fanatic, but I've spent the last four weeks getting back into fitness mode. I run 3 miles a day on a 3 on/1 off pattern, swim a mile every other day and then do some strength work on different parts of the body using different techniques basically everyday to some extent or the other. It's definitely part of my routine now and I'm actually to the point where I don't mind the running or the swimming and look forward to the gym.

Lost 5.6 pounds the first week and I have leveled off the last couple at about 1.5 pound a week, but I am noticeably thinner, so I'm guessing I've gaining some muscle weight as I am losing fat weight.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
C M B wrote:
Has anyone here met any CrossFit person who wasn't a total (bleep) moron?

On a more serious note, I crossfit 6 times a week and absolutely love it. I've been doing it for a little over a year now and can honestly say that I am the "fittest" that I have ever been. I've slimmed down to 9% body fat and my cardio is better than it has ever been. I ran the tough mudder in AZ in April and I don't think I got winded once the entire time. I find myself having to do some lifts (mostly bench) outside of class, but my back and core is stronger than it has ever been, which makes sense, since most CF lift are full body and don't isolate.

It's funny, I was just reading the Apple/Beats thread and see the parallel with CF. The reason so many people hate CF is similar to why audiophiles hate Beats. There are tons of people new to crossfit who think that it's the greatest thing ever, when in reality they aren't even using proper form. If someone told me their workout routine was better than mine when they weren't even doing it right, I'd laugh at them too. This is made worse by the many crossfit trainers who either don't care about form or push their classes to work faster or lift more before they are able to safely do so. I was lucky that I joined a gym with some responsible trainers, who have helped me improve my Oly lifting form while making some pretty big gains.

With all that said, the dbags who hate on crossfit because "they don't even do strict pull-ups!!1" are 10 times worse than any of the obnoxious people who talk about crossfit all the time. Who cares if my workout is different than yours? I may do kipping or butterfly pull-ups, but I also do 100 of them in a short period of time. If it's so easy, you do it and tell me how your arms and traps feel afterwards.

Ultimately, just do what works for you. I've been working out for years, and have found that crossfit is a very fun and productive method of staying in fantastic shape. I'm enjoying working out more than I ever have before, and the results speak for themselves. I have other friends who have great results working out in a globogym, and that's great too. Everyone is different. The most important thing is to find something that you ENJOY, because that makes it infinitely easier to stick with it.

100% correct, I recently started crossfitting too.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Jeffs wrote:
C M B wrote:

On a more serious note, I crossfit 6 times a week and absolutely love it. I've been doing it for a little over a year now and can honestly say that I am the "fittest" that I have ever been. I've slimmed down to 9% body fat and my cardio is better than it has ever been. I ran the tough mudder in AZ in April and I don't think I got winded once the entire time. I find myself having to do some lifts (mostly bench) outside of class, but my back and core is stronger than it has ever been, which makes sense, since most CF lift are full body and don't isolate.

It's funny, I was just reading the Apple/Beats thread and see the parallel with CF. The reason so many people hate CF is similar to why audiophiles hate Beats. There are tons of people new to crossfit who think that it's the greatest thing ever, when in reality they aren't even using proper form. If someone told me their workout routine was better than mine when they weren't even doing it right, I'd laugh at them too. This is made worse by the many crossfit trainers who either don't care about form or push their classes to work faster or lift more before they are able to safely do so. I was lucky that I joined a gym with some responsible trainers, who have helped me improve my Oly lifting form while making some pretty big gains.

With all that said, the dbags who hate on crossfit because "they don't even do strict pull-ups!!1" are 10 times worse than any of the obnoxious people who talk about crossfit all the time. Who cares if my workout is different than yours? I may do kipping or butterfly pull-ups, but I also do 100 of them in a short period of time. If it's so easy, you do it and tell me how your arms and traps feel afterwards.

Ultimately, just do what works for you. I've been working out for years, and have found that crossfit is a very fun and productive method of staying in fantastic shape. I'm enjoying working out more than I ever have before, and the results speak for themselves. I have other friends who have great results working out in a globogym, and that's great too. Everyone is different. The most important thing is to find something that you ENJOY, because that makes it infinitely easier to stick with it.

100% correct, I recently started crossfitting too.

Plus if cross-fit takes one less fattie off the street, I'm all for it.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Wellp, may as well throw in my two cents.

Last year I balloned to 185 (I'm 5'8"). Got my driver's license and I was just disgusted. Monty might remember a post I made about my feet hurting/ankles always feeling sore around this point. I've always been a thin guy but years of partying like a mofo and happy hour with the fellas left me with a beer belly and bloated face.

Started working out a bit after this point. I was just swimming, doing light jogging, etc just to get my lungs back. After about a month, I started P90. I dropped to 168 by the end of last summer.

Since then, I've been lifting/doing cardio.

Sunday: Chest/Cardio (One of the T25 routines for cardio)
Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Arms/Abs (T25 or UFC Fit routine for abs)
Wed - Back
Thursday - Shoulder.

Usually do light ab workout daily.

When I started lifting I was barley able to bench 115 lbs. Last Sunday I hit a new plateau with my last set of reps @ 190. I won't lie, I'm pretty damn proud . I've never been in this shape in my life and I can't imagine going back to a life pre-working out.

Once the ball is rolling, it's almost impossible to stop wanting to workout. A buddy of mine who I hadn't seen in months got inspired to workout/lose weight and dude went from 220 to 190 in a few months.

My goal now is to maintain the same size but lose the last bit of side/lower back fat. It's hard as hell because I still enjoy a drink here and there and my eating habits are still not as clean as it needs to be.

Oh, and my feet no longer hurt. Think it was because I got fat .

Dude that's awesome. Good luck getting back to what you were and then some. Sounds like you've got a good routine, and honestly, any is better than none for a working person.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Jeffs wrote:
C M B wrote:

100% correct, I recently started crossdressing too.

I knew there was a reason we got along
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject:

Anything is better than Planet Fitness.

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

LOL
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I'm not a fanatic, but I've spent the last four weeks getting back into fitness mode. I run 3 miles a day on a 3 on/1 off pattern, swim a mile every other day and then do some strength work on different parts of the body using different techniques basically everyday to some extent or the other. It's definitely part of my routine now and I'm actually to the point where I don't mind the running or the swimming and look forward to the gym.

Lost 5.6 pounds the first week and I have leveled off the last couple at about 1.5 pound a week, but I am noticeably thinner, so I'm guessing I've gaining some muscle weight as I am losing fat weight.

100% awesome. Keep up the great work!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

100% awesome. Keep up the great work!

Thanks!

Got my run and swim in today. I'm working with my new kettle bells this afternoon. Those things kick my ass, but it's a really satisfying workout.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Anything is better than Planet Fitness.

Is that Coach Brown
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject:

got blood test results.. Blood Glucose too high.. 94 have to start cardio I guess

sigh ..
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject:

got blood test results.. Blood Glucose too high.. 94 have to start cardio I guess

sigh ..

Check out marksdailyapple.com

and/or

Read "The Paleo Diet", and give it a shot. It will change how you look at food entirely. Forget everything you think you know about diet, and just jump in headfirst. You can thank me later.

Mark Sissons book, The Primal Blueprint, is very similar to the paleo diet. His site though is a great resource, and its updated daily with all sorts of interesting stuff.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Thank you shanesen008..

can I do H.I.I.T with weights instead of traditional cardio?
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

^ Of course you can, Trey. Just make sure you don't rush and sacrifice some form in the process. I highly recommend HIIT over traditional cardio. You get more out of your workout and don't tend to "coast" as many people tend to do over long cardio workouts.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject:

I have started doing dumbbell curls that go into shoulder presses standing on one leg alternating legs.. they rock

Doing like a tri set rushing over to seated behind the neck triceps press right afterwards

Thanks Jeffs

Got any favorite exercises?
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:

I've been doing crossfit the past year and a half or so, so pretty much everything I do is high intensity.

If you're looking for a high intensity dumbbell workout, I'd try man makers. Find a weight where you can do sets of 5. You can progressively increase the weight as you get stronger and/or get more comfortable with the movements. You use a lot of muscle groups with these. Do 5 sets of 5 and you'll understand where the name comes from. If you can handle it (and have one available to you), do 50 jump ropes after each set of 5.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Noice!! Be rocking some 100lbers

I might just try those.. thank you for the suggestion

My buddy actually used to do the Cybergenics workouts.. said they were deadly
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Thank you shanesen008..

can I do H.I.I.T with weights instead of traditional cardio?

HIIT is awesome, and you dont need weights at all. If done properly youll be spent. I wouldnt use weights, honestly. Balls to the wall sprints are murder on every muscle in your body. Once a week was enough for me. Walking was uncomfortable for 3 or 4 days after a really good bout of HIIT sprints. I cant imagine using weights.

Traditional cardio IMO is rather pointless. IMO youll get much more out of doing a circuit with body weight exercises or weights that is constantly varied. Youll be getting your cardio and strength training in at the same time, in a shorter time period. And since youre adding strength training to it, youll get the added bonus of a higher metabolic rate while your body recovers over a few days. When you do sustained aerobic exercise you are only increasing your calorie burn rate while youre doing it. Once your heart rate returns to normal, its over. Also chronic cardio tends to stimulate slow twitch muscle fiber much more so than fast twitch, and even converts fast twitch to slow twitch. Nobody but an endurance athlete wants that.

Just ask yourself whether youd want to look like an olympic sprinter, or a marathon runner. Simple choice for most of us. No offense to marathon runners. I cant do it. Fortunately, i see no need for it. Lifting heavy things without getting winded though, i see uses for that every day.

Check out crossfit and paleo, and just stick to whatever is fun for you. Eat when youre hungry, and dont when youre not and pay no attention to the scale, but check the mirror now and again and youll be great.

GL!

Edit: I just though of this after i hit submit. HIIT is extremely intense, and unless youre in decent enough shape already to run, not jog but RUN, then i would recommend working up to it. Form isnt just important in the weight room. The biggest hurdle to success in fitness, at least in my experience is injury. Take it slow, life is a marathon, not a sprint. Oh the irony.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject:

You guys got me ready to buy a newspaper and start my mirror pics
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: