Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't be upset if we hire him.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject:

Looks like his price went up and his chances went down for a right away approach.

Bye.
Go4thaGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject:

Ollie Ollie Ollie Ollie!
Go Chargers!
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

There's an ESPN Insider article about Ollie jumping to the NBA

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post/_/id/3623/nba-factor-looms-for-kevin-ollie-huskies

Could someone with Insider give us a summary of the blog?

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“It’s just a matter of time,” said one NBA general manager. “The league will come calling. He’s a great communicator and has a calm demeanor. This win alone, however, doesn't just tilt the scale. It breaks it.”

Quote:
“He would be excellent,” another GM said following Monday night’s victory. “He’s a stud. He understands the NBA, he’s a leader, has faced adversity and fought through it.”

Quote:
One NBA executive told me that whichever team (or teams) makes a run after Kevin Durant when he becomes a free agent, “will throw the whole ATM after [Ollie].” That makes sense given the enormous amount of respect KD has for his former teammate in Oklahoma City. I remember Durant telling me a few years back, just after Calhoun convinced Ollie to join his staff as an assistant, that Ollie would be a star. Durant couldn’t stop gushing about Ollie’s character as a person, and his knowledge of the game.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post/_/id/3623/nba-factor-looms-for-kevin-ollie-huskies/refresh/true

Throw the ATM at Ollie now.

Go for plan K-K-K Kevin (Ollie, Love, Durant).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject:

So, does Durant recruit Ollie to OKC? Does it work in reverse?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Maybe. But he still has Scott Brooks and barring an epic collapse by OKC, don't see that franchise eating Brooks' contract AND paying for Ollie.

Remember, this is OKC and not the new capital of "eating coaches' contracts" (Lakers).
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Kevin Ollie or David Blatt or if Chicago fires him Tom Thibodeau

any of those will do

Stop already with Blatt .. you're meshuggah. No chance noway no how. Billy D. or Cal would be the other two non-NBA names asuuming K is forever not available.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

Maybe. But he still has Scott Brooks and barring an epic collapse by OKC, don't see that franchise eating Brooks' contract AND paying for Ollie.

Remember, this is OKC and not the new capital of "eating coaches' contracts" (Lakers).

My guess is Brooks is on the quiet hot seat. If he doesn't make it to the finals at the least, I can see them changing direction. Presti is too smart not to know he's got to keep Durant happy as well.
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

My guess is Brooks is on the quiet hot seat. If he doesn't make it to the finals at the least, I can see them changing direction. Presti is too smart not to know he's got to keep Durant happy as well.

I agree, but I don't think it's necessarily fair. I'm not entirely sure Westbrook is the best #2 for Durant.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

How much $ is Brooks owed if they cut bait with him? This is the OKC team that wouldn't amnesty Perkins b/c of the $, and wouldn't pony up $ to keep Harden either. Would they eat Brooks' contract AND pay a hefty salary to Ollie? (Lakers would have likely amnestied Perkins, kept Harden, fired Brooks and ate his contract, and hired Ollie).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

How much $ is Brooks owed if they cut bait with him? This is the OKC team that wouldn't amnesty Perkins b/c of the $, and wouldn't pony up $ to keep Harden either. Would they eat Brooks' contract AND pay a hefty salary to Ollie? (Lakers would have likely amnestied Perkins, kept Harden, fired Brooks and ate his contract, and hired Ollie).

Harden was a tax decision, which is much bigger than the dollars of his contract (going from receiving to paying tax dollars). They also felt adding another center instead of Perkins was more expensive than its value. But I'm not sure they feel that way about Brooks. If they can't get over the hurdle with him, and feel they can get a guy who helps keep Durant, they might bite. I would in their shoes. Ollie fits their profile exactly.
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject:

I think if OKC cuts Brooks they deserve to lose, that's two big mistakes the first be Harden....
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject:

Cup-of-noodles wrote:
I think if OKC cuts Brooks they deserve to lose, that's two big mistakes the first be Harden....

Brooks is a terrible coach
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

Harden was a tax decision, which is much bigger than the dollars of his contract (going from receiving to paying tax dollars). They also felt adding another center instead of Perkins was more expensive than its value. But I'm not sure they feel that way about Brooks. If they can't get over the hurdle with him, and feel they can get a guy who helps keep Durant, they might bite. I would in their shoes. Ollie fits their profile exactly.
Is Ollie the coach that will bring them rings?
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

Lakers need really really really good coach, Thibs, or they need to start fresh. I would be surprised to hell if the Lakers gave an offer to Ollie and he refused. Getting Ollie for 2016 is enough for me. 2016 is Durant time. Lakers can build this team as well as you can rebuild it withing 2 years. Imagine, getting Ollie this offseason and drafting an Embiid or Exum, and than getting Love next year, and that having Ollie recruit Durant to LA? This is the for sure path to run. This is what is realistic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

I think he could. Significantly, I think he helps work out the Westbrook/Durant dynamic. For the most part, with the exception of the title game ( ), he got two headstrong PGs in Napier/Boatright to co-exist. Both wanted to be the man of the team but he got them to buy into having 2 PGs.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

I think he could. Significantly, I think he helps work out the Westbrook/Durant dynamic. For the most part, with the exception of the title game ( ), he got two headstrong PGs in Napier/Boatright to co-exist. Both wanted to be the man of the team but he got them to buy into having 2 PGs.
The motivation for Napier/Boatright was the suspension.

To change just for changing and financial reasons (Ollie will be cheaper than Brooks) has consequences that are usually detrimental to winning rings - ala Laker style who would have never traded Harden at that time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

To change just for changing and financial reasons (Ollie will be cheaper than Brooks) has consequences that are usually detrimental to winning rings - ala Laker style who would have never traded Harden at that time.

I follow the UCONN team closely. Of course the suspension was one motivator, but that suspension could have easily destroyed the UCONN team with one or both of these guys leaving UCONN. They didn't. You know one reason why? Ollie. He kept this team together and made the two of them work it out. Previously, Boatright was off the bench and it was the Napier show. But look how he integrated two college-level starting PGs. not an easy thing to do.,
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject:

Black Salt wrote:
Lakers need really really really good coach, Thibs, or they need to start fresh. I would be surprised to hell if the Lakers gave an offer to Ollie and he refused. Getting Ollie for 2016 is enough for me. 2016 is Durant time. Lakers can build this team as well as you can rebuild it withing 2 years. Imagine, getting Ollie this offseason and drafting an Embiid or Exum, and than getting Love next year, and that having Ollie recruit Durant to LA? This is the for sure path to run. This is what is realistic.

I would LOVE to see the Lakers follow your plan. But I really doubt it happens. I cannot envision them making such a bold, innovative and outside-the-box move.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:

SmokeAndAshes wrote:
Black Salt wrote:

I would LOVE to see the Lakers follow your plan. But I really doubt it happens. I cannot envision them making such a bold, innovative and outside-the-box move.

This is my K-K-K plan. Kevin (Ollie, Love, Durant). Um, I might have to work on a better nickname.
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SmokeAndAshes wrote:
Black Salt wrote:

This is my K-K-K plan. Kevin (Ollie, Love, Durant). Um, I might have to work on a better nickname.

Yeeah, I think so!!

May I suggest: the EK3 : Exum or Embiid, Kevins x 3 (Ollie, Love, Durant)
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Shouldn't we ask Rex Chapman first, hate to not get his opinion bout this since his lack of knowledge & fame had the guarantee on Cal. Media seeking phony & bitter ex player!
HC: Riley
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

I follow the UCONN team closely. Of course the suspension was one motivator, but that suspension could have easily destroyed the UCONN team with one or both of these guys leaving UCONN. They didn't. You know one reason why? Ollie. He kept this team together and made the two of them work it out. Previously, Boatright was off the bench and it was the Napier show. But look how he integrated two college-level starting PGs. not an easy thing to do.,
Looking for the qualities that Ollie possess now that will take OKC farther than Brooks (translation: win a Ring)

People already know that he knows basketball, players like him and has a successful (albeit) coaching career in college.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SmokeAndAshes wrote:
Black Salt wrote:

It was the Kevin and Kevin plan which was already kind of coincidental. Now we're really truly interested in a third Kevin. What are the chances? And to get them all? That would be unbelievable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: