Uncle Phil going after Lamar and MWP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I was thinking this was a possibility. Phil is likely thinking about putting Metta, Lamar and even Fish in NY as bench players and more importantly practice players who help the team understand how to run the Tri.

I highly doubt he is expecting them to do more than what he wanted Pippen, Grant, Harper etc. to do in their small runs with the Lakers (Pippen never played only coached a bit at camp I think).

It makes sense especially for Melo, who IMO could be one of the best Triangle players Phil ever had after Kobe, Jordan and Pip. The Triangle allows you to do all the things Melo is strong at without having to worry about being doubled as easily. I'm not sure if Melo is staying and I doubt he wins a title in NY, but I expect him to thrive in the Tri if he ever adopts it and understands it's strengths.

The hard thing for Phil will be to find something for Ray Felton, JR Smith, and a lot of the crap overpaid talent that doesn't fit. Even Bargnani fits better in the Tri, and Tyson can give them the D that Phil has always coveted. However Bargs can't do much else than help them run the O.

I do think 50 wins is realistic for NY next season with the right small moves and system, but that's about as high as their ceiling can get. They're not going to be a contender without getting Melo someone who can do playmaking, 2nd option scoring (Pippen role) for him.

the triangle will only help melo if they find him a Pippen. see kobe became jordan/pippen. mike had pippen. who does melo have? will melo all of a sudden turn into this solid distributor?
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I was thinking this was a possibility. Phil is likely thinking about putting Metta, Lamar and even Fish in NY as bench players and more importantly practice players who help the team understand how to run the Tri.

I highly doubt he is expecting them to do more than what he wanted Pippen, Grant, Harper etc. to do in their small runs with the Lakers (Pippen never played only coached a bit at camp I think).

It makes sense especially for Melo, who IMO could be one of the best Triangle players Phil ever had after Kobe, Jordan and Pip. The Triangle allows you to do all the things Melo is strong at without having to worry about being doubled as easily. I'm not sure if Melo is staying and I doubt he wins a title in NY, but I expect him to thrive in the Tri if he ever adopts it and understands it's strengths.

The hard thing for Phil will be to find something for Ray Felton, JR Smith, and a lot of the crap overpaid talent that doesn't fit. Even Bargnani fits better in the Tri, and Tyson can give them the D that Phil has always coveted. However Bargs can't do much else than help them run the O.

I do think 50 wins is realistic for NY next season with the right small moves and system, but that's about as high as their ceiling can get. They're not going to be a contender without getting Melo someone who can do playmaking, 2nd option scoring (Pippen role) for him.

the triangle will only help melo if they find him a Pippen. see kobe became jordan/pippen. mike had pippen. who does melo have? will melo all of a sudden turn into this solid distributor?

Tyson Chandler
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject:

Peoples Hernandez wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
So is he going to fire Woodson? Or is he going to take on the Tex Winter role behind the bench?

Rambis as HC of the Knicks.

People snicker but I wouldn't be surprised if Phil goes with him over Kerr.

NO chance. Rambis can't communicate nearly well enough to teach the triangle, and he is a proven non-motivator. He won't get another HC job in this league.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject:

lol at people who wanted this guy in our FO. I can easily see him hiring Rambis aka his #1 yes man as his puppet coach
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
dood23 wrote:
"We're gonna try some things with the triangle offense, Melo"

"You had me at 'offense'"

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
So is he going to fire Woodson? Or is he going to take on the Tex Winter role behind the bench?

Rambis as HC of the Knicks.

People snicker but I wouldn't be surprised if Phil goes with him over Kerr.

NO chance. Rambis can't communicate nearly well enough to teach the triangle, and he is a proven non-motivator. He won't get another HC job in this league.

What about Fisher?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: