Bill Simmons: Bucks close to being sold
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Bill Simmons: Bucks close to being sold

Quote:
Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 52m

Hearing the Milwaukee Bucks are very VERY close to being sold pending league approval. Might be done already. PS: Not to the Seattle guys.

Quote:
Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 44m

Off last tweet: NBA would rather see Bucks stay in Milwaukee but a new arena has to be part of it. Franchise alone will go for 525-550 mill.

LINK

This is a interesting topic, to discuss about.... I wonder what the Bucks fans think about this.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject:

Bucks, fans seem very excited about this, I wonder if something like this can happen to the Lakers in the future.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

Bucks getting #1 pick confirmed.

!...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

Hill or Kidd. All Big Dog does is score.

I haven't left 20 yrs ago, Dawg. Kidd and Vinny. That's a duo, right there. Inside-out attack.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

SI notes conflicting reports.

http://nba.si.com/2014/04/05/milwaukee-bucks-herb-kohl-selling-team/

I don't think the Bucks sell for $525M unless the new owner can move them.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject:

I think their staying....they probably need a new ownership group to inject some excitement and moves into the franchise. The current owner is getting up there in age so it was bound to happen. As far as Seattle is concerned, if they couldn't pry the Kings away, I don't see how they could get the Bucks away from Milwaukee, when you consider they have a slightly bigger market, have actually done something in the past, and have had superstars play in the market before.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject:

The Seattle MSA is over twice the size of the Milwaukee MSA. Milwaukee is the 5th smallest MSA with an NBA team (Memphis, OKC, New Orleans, and Utah are smaller), while Seattle would be middle of the pack at 14th (between Detroit and Minneapolis). If you take into account income and wealth factors, Seattle is far superior as a pro sports town.

The intriguing question is which team moves from the WC to the EC if the Bucks move to Seattle or San Jose? I'm thinking Minnesota, but Memphis and New Orleans would be candidates, too.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Bucks, fans seem very excited about this, I wonder if something like this can happen to the Lakers in the future.

Be careful what you wish for.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
my first thought too
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
my first thought too
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The Seattle MSA is over twice the size of the Milwaukee MSA. Milwaukee is the 5th smallest MSA with an NBA team (Memphis, OKC, New Orleans, and Utah are smaller), while Seattle would be middle of the pack at 14th (between Detroit and Minneapolis). If you take into account income and wealth factors, Seattle is far superior as a pro sports town.

The intriguing question is which team moves from the WC to the EC if the Bucks move to Seattle or San Jose? I'm thinking Minnesota, but Memphis and New Orleans would be candidates, too.

As much as I'd hate to see the tradition of the Milwaukee Bucks come to an end, I'd love for the team to move to Seattle. Minnesota would be my choice to move to the EC and taking Milwaukee's place in the Central Division makes the most geographic sense. As far as taking Minnesota's place in the WC Northwest Division, you can't really get more Northwest than Seattle.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject:

^Agreed.

Minny would be the most logical choice to move to the EC because of their regional proximity to the other Central Division teams.

What I want to know is how the hell is a POS franchise like Milwaukee going to sell for $500M+? The Warriors didn't even go for $500M and the Kings sold for $530M+

Damn, the NBA looks like a pretty solid investment. No wonder the values keep going up.
1. Pour all sorts of money into buying a franchise
2. Spend recklessly on bad contracts for mediocre talent
3. Claim to be "losing" money in CBA negotiations despite continued record revenues and TV contracts
4. Collect the benefit of record multi-billion dollar TV contracts while pushing to cut back on player contracts
5. Get bailed out of said previously signed bad contracts
6. Proceed to spend recklessly once again and claim more "losses"
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:

Bucks fans sound so happy about this but they won't be as happy when they find out the team is gonna be shipped to Seattle
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Why would you have a team in Milwaukee?

Why does anyone choose to live in Milwaukee?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
SI notes conflicting reports.

http://nba.si.com/2014/04/05/milwaukee-bucks-herb-kohl-selling-team/

I don't think the Bucks sell for $525M unless the new owner can move them.

the kings valuation to stay was higher than that and the new tv deal is soon, i'd say 525 is pretty fair.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Bucks fan sounds so happy about this but he won't be as happy when he finds out the team is gonna be shipped to Seattle

Fixed for numerical accuracy.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Pau Gasol is nice
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
24 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
my first thought too

unless ... jim .... decides .... to .....
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject:

Update. Simmons may have been right. Some of the names being kicked around are surprising. David Kahn?

Quote:
The NBA Board of Governors will meet in New York next Thursday and Friday and one of the main topics likely will be the future of the Bucks. There is a distinct possibility a new ownership group will be revealed at that time.

The Bucks’ sale process has been cloaked in secrecy. In fact, any bidder who wanted to get into the “Bucks-for-sale” game had to sign confidentiality forms. Because this is a high-stakes game, where the sale of the Bucks is expected to be around $500 million, few people directly involved in the situation have been willing to discuss specifics of the bidding process, particularly Bucks owner Herb Kohl, who has been extremely tight-lipped.

Yet, over the last two weeks, bits and pieces about the Bucks’ impending sale have leaked out, including:

* The gentleman orchestrating the negotiations is Steve Greenberg, the managing director of Allen & Company in New York and son of baseball Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg.

Greenberg has strong ties with several individuals who have expressed interest in buying the Bucks, including Mark Attanasio, the Milwaukee Brewers owner. Greenberg was an advisor to the Allan “Bud” Selig family when the Brewers were sold to Attanasio.

Attanasio has apparently had more than a passing interest in the Bucks for some time. A year ago, the scuttlebutt among NBA officials was Attanasio and former Memphis Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley were the primary candidates to become the Bucks’ next owners. Heisley is no longer in the picture after having suffered a major stroke. He has gone through extensive rehab and is in a nursing home.

Greenberg also happens to know NBA super-agent Arn Tellem, who also has shown interest in the Bucks. Tellem, who owns a professional basketball team in Israel, began his career as an attorney in Los Angeles with the firm of Manatt, Phelps, Rothenberg and Tunney. One of Tellem’s mentors was none other than Greenberg.

* There are some individuals within the Bucks organization and in the NBA who contend the leading group to buy the Bucks consists of several deep-pocketed individuals from the Chicago area. Whether Richard Chaifetz is a part of that group is unknown, although Chaifetz has publicly let it be known he covets owning an NBA franchise.

Chaifetz is the founder and chairman of Chaifetz Group. He also founded ComPsych Corporation in 1984, the world’s largest provider of employee assistance programs.

Chaifetz is a neuropsychologist and graduate of St. Louis University. In 2007, he made a $12 million donation to his alma mater, which named Chaifetz Arena after him.

Bryan Colangelo, the former president and general manager of the Toronto Raptors, has also been linked to the Chicago group. There are some NBA officials who believe Colangelo could become the Bucks’ president of basketball operations if the Chicago group emerges victorious.

Another former NBA general manager rumored to be the “face” of another group is David Kahn. He was the president of basketball operations for the Minnesota Timberwolves before being relieved of his duties last May.

Quote:
* It’s no secret former Bucks guard Ulysses “Junior” Bridgeman is interested in being part of a new Bucks ownership. Bridgeman, whose No. 2 jersey has been retired by the Bucks, is the president of Bridgeman Foods LLC. His company owns and operates more than 160 Wendy’s restaurants in the United States.

Another local figure associated to Bucks sales rumors is Jon Hammes. A Racine native, Hammes is the founder and managing partner of Brookfield-based Hammes Company, which is recognized as the nation’s leader in health care facility development. His company was also involved in the construction of sports facilities, including the Kohl Center in Madison, and the renovation of Lambeau Field in Green Bay.

Hammes was the target of considerable conversation recently when there was a report of his $450 million private equity offering. There was speculation the money would be used for the purchase of the Bucks or put toward the construction of a new arena. As it turned out, the money, as stated in the papers, was acquired solely for health care projects.

It isn’t out of the realm of possibilities Hammes could still wind up being a Bucks owner, although most likely in a minority capacity.

I have also been told yet another prominent local businessman, Craig Leipold of Racine, never even entered talks about purchasing the Bucks. Leipold has checked out possibly buying the Bucks in the past but is now heavily immersed in the NHL as the majority owner of the Minnesota Wild.

Leipold, I was told, simply had no keen interest in landing the Bucks once he learned Kohl and NBA officials had placed an asking price of $500 million on the franchise, a sum he and others felt was vastly inflated.

* The latest name to surface on the Bucks’ ownership rumor mill is Tom Werner, once the majority owner of the San Diego Padres. He later teamed with John Henry and Larry Lucchino to form the Fenway Sports Group, which bought the Boston Red Sox in 2002 for $660 million. Werner’s group also bought Fenway Park and 80 percent of New England Sports Network. He is chairman of the Red Sox and Liverpool of the Premier League.

Link to Article

I think Leipold has it right -- a $500M price tag on the Bucks is absurd, unless you plan to move them to a viable market. We'll see whether the greater fool theory operates here. On the other hand, Werner is a big fish with no apparent Milwaukee connections. That's the guy that Bucks fans need to worry about.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

Ain't that the truth. New Orleans gets sold and wow...they get Anthony Davis!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Arn Tellem as an owner? Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest as he represents a number of NBA players?

Tellem's Clients
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:

Reported to be a $550 million dollar deal pending league approval.

Bucks to announce sale of team
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject:

Edit: Misunderstood the post. Delete please
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

Hmm.

1.The team is being sold to two hedge fund managers from New York who have no apparent connection to Milwaukee.

2. None of the Milwaukee people who are listed above (in my April 11 post) are involved.

3. The sales price is $550M, which is way too high for a team in Milwaukee. On paper, the Kings sold for $534M, but that included the arena. The Bucks do not own their arena. Accordingly, the sale price for the Bucks is significantly higher than the sales price for the Kings, even though Milwaukee is probably an inferior market.

Hello, Seattle Bucks. The new owners and the league will make a show of trying to work out the new stadium, but then it will all be over.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: