Rex Chapman says John Calipari to the Lakers is a "done deal". (Mitch says its not true p.4)(Calipari denies it p.8)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Look, if we sign Caliparia can we at least just do a ONE YEAR DEAL. See if he's any good before giving him 3 years like Brown and Antoni ?!!

u serious with this thing? so he is leaving everything he has to coach the laker 1yr?

just 1 yr?
Atticus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
The mistake Calipari made the last time was taking on GM duties as well. NBA front offices are a good old boys network, and just coming in without "paying dues" is usually not a good idea (Phil may find out a bit about this with regard to his huge, jealousy-inducing salary as a rookie exec).

But there's no doubt he's a good coach. He is a big personality, recruits well, has the respect of his players, is flexible and innovative on schemes (and they are pro ready), and his teams play hard and to their potential. A lot is made of the talent he gets, but try putting teams together in one season repeatedly. It isn't easy.

As GT said in another thread, the X and O stuff is a bit overrated between coaches. Phil was no X and O genius, but his ability to lead and get buy in and everyone to play their role was much more important. That and the ability to thrive in the LA media (and fan base) are key to the job, and Calipari has them in spades.

LADYNASTY
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
The mistake Calipari made the last time was taking on GM duties as well. NBA front offices are a good old boys network, and just coming in without "paying dues" is usually not a good idea (Phil may find out a bit about this with regard to his huge, jealousy-inducing salary as a rookie exec).

But there's no doubt he's a good coach. He is a big personality, recruits well, has the respect of his players, is flexible and innovative on schemes (and they are pro ready), and his teams play hard and to their potential. A lot is made of the talent he gets, but try putting teams together in one season repeatedly. It isn't easy.

As GT said in another thread, the X and O stuff is a bit overrated between coaches. Phil was no X and O genius, but his ability to lead and get buy in and everyone to play their role was much more important. That and the ability to thrive in the LA media (and fan base) are key to the job, and Calipari has them in spades.

As someone who can't sit down and watch college basketball (like watching paint dry to me), I can't give an honest opinion about his coaching style. You say he runs a pro style offense? What does it consist of? Feeding the post? Pick n roll? Is he like D'Antoni in which he needs a skilled guard to run the show?

Just curious because I couldn't bring myself to watch college ball the last few years. I might catch a half here and there to see what certain prospects look like. But that's it. And I was just getting into the NBA when Calipari was coaching the Nets. So I don't remember much about his NBA days. Which even if it was bad, shouldn't be held against him. Coaches can evolve and learn from mistakes.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject:

I really think World Wide Wes is blowing this smoke for a different reason, one to get Calipari more money at Kentucky and send a smoke signal to Lakers that they are a player for LeBron this summer more than they currently think so choose your next head coach wisely and dont keep D'Antoni
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

LADYNASTY wrote:
24 wrote:

As someone who can't sit down and watch college basketball (like watching paint dry to me), I can't give an honest opinion about his coaching style. You say he runs a pro style offense? What does it consist of? Feeding the post? Pick n roll? Is he like D'Antoni in which he needs a skilled guard to run the show?

Just curious because I couldn't bring myself to watch college ball the last few years. I might catch a half here and there to see what certain prospects look like. But that's it. And I was just getting into the NBA when Calipari was coaching the Nets. So I don't remember much about his NBA days. Which even if it was bad, shouldn't be held against him. Coaches can evolve and learn from mistakes.

watching Kentucky last 3 games his offense looks like roll the ball on the court and let the Harrison twins figure it out lol
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
I really think World Wide Wes is blowing this smoke for a different reason, one to get Calipari more money at Kentucky and send a smoke signal to Lakers that they are a player for LeBron this summer more than they currently think so choose your next head coach wisely and dont keep D'Antoni

If you're going to be a player fir any big FA this summer, and there might not be a LBJ too, then Antoni pretty much has to go. If Cal means LBJ to the Lakers I'm on my way to go get him.
LADYNASTY
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

If the source of this rumor is Caliparis agent, then all of this is just a leverage ploy for a bigger contract from Kentucky. We've seen it so many times. Just a little too coincidental that it comes on the eve of the National Championship. Where viewership is at it's highest. Now it's all over ESPN and other sports sites.

Also Kupchak doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would be negotiating with agents while he still has a coach under contract. Put out feelers? Maybe. But to have a "done deal" in place? Not buying it. My hunch is we'll see Calipari get a nice extension from Kentucky in the next few weeks.
pd23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

LADYNASTY wrote:
24 wrote:

It's hard in college, but he has an adaptive style to fit who his best players are. The PG's were not that good this year, but they did try to feed the post. They were better at feeding the post with Cousins and Wall. When he had A Davis, they were more of a running team. He is a master at adapting offense to the players skill sets.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

His offensive style has varied with personnel, but he runs primarily 1 in 4 out stuff, heavy on dribble penetration, cuts, off ball screens, and 3 point shots. Works the post where appropriate. Defensive schemes rely on a mobile rim protector and aggressive defense moving the offense to the baseline.

George Karl borrowed some of Calipari's offensive stuff with Denver.
LADYNASTY
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
LADYNASTY wrote:
24 wrote:

watching Kentucky last 3 games his offense looks like roll the ball on the court and let the Harrison twins figure it out lol

Sooooo its slightly more complicated then the chuck-fest offense we got going on here under D'Antoni?

What about defense? Anythings gotta be better then what D'Antoni/Rambis have cooked up this year?
LADYNASTY
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
His offensive style has varied with personnel, but he runs primarily 1 in 4 out stuff, heavy on dribble penetration, cuts, off ball screens, and 3 point shots. Works the post where appropriate. Defensive schemes rely on a mobile rim protector and aggressive defense moving the offense to the baseline.

Thank you for explaining! So from the sounds of it, he's able to adapt according to personnel. That's encouraging. Would be refreshing to see after our last two coaches.

On defense, especially in college, I imagine he runs a lot of zone, full court press and trapping? Which won't cut it in an 82 game season. But it sounds like he knows how to use a defensive anchor (Davis).

As long as he wouldn't come in here and run this team like Pitino ran the Celtics, then it sounds like he could adapt well to the NBA game. My only other concern would be how veteran players would respond to him. His cheerleading from the sideline seems like it would wear thin after a period of time. Hopefully he's adaptable in that sense.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:

LADYNASTY wrote:
24 wrote:

Thank you for explaining! So from the sounds of it, he's able to adapt according to personnel. That's encouraging. Would be refreshing to see after our last two coaches.

On defense, especially in college, I imagine he runs a lot of zone, full court press and trapping? Which won't cut it in an 82 game season. But it sounds like he knows how to use a defensive anchor (Davis).

As long as he wouldn't come in here and run this team like Pitino ran the Celtics, then it sounds like he could adapt well to the NBA game. My only other concern would be how veteran players would respond to him. His cheerleading from the sideline seems like it would wear thin after a period of time. Hopefully he's adaptable in that sense.

Mostly man to man with features like forcing opponents into areas and trapping them there, funneling, etc. But he starts with aggressive stopping the ball (the flip side of his dribble drive starting the O), and tends to get them into their defense by first teaching the O and making them guard it.

FWIW, here's a quote from him on his philosophy:

"You want to have someone with a high motor, a guy like Michael Kidd-Gilchrist," Calipari says. "The high motor guys are easier to teach. The low motor guys are harder to teach because they stop all the time. It's the hardest thing for a guy who wants to stop all the time to learn he can't. It starts in the recruiting process and how you present it. We present it as: If you don't guard people you aren't going to play."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/george_dohrmann/11/05/Kentucky-John-Calipari/index.html#ixzz2yKA5Ec00
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

Calipari plays much more man defense than most teams. Even when the zone was working in the championship game, he'd go back to man at times.

I'm not sure he'd get the same respect from veterans as he would from 18 year old kids. But I never heard of recruits wanting to transfer from Kentucky when they get there either like they had for other coaches, so it isn't like he's hard to play for.

I'd personally go elsewhere, but I prefer Calipari to Hollins, Dunleavy, Karl, and other bigger name NBA coaches.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

Lakers are going to fire D'Toni. who is out there that can be face of the franchise and also do a good job at coaching?

please don't say Ollie.

Calapri can coach as well as be the face of the franchise from management side i think
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

Question,why is this still a topic being discussed. Both sides have denied it. Rex has back peddled. Nothing to see here.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

I don't discount Ollie as a choice. He's got the leadership and knowledge. The question is does he have the desire and ability to handle what comes in a large market.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject:

I just noticed that Mitch never said Antoni's job was safe...
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:
Calipari plays much more man defense than most teams. Even when the zone was working in the championship game, he'd go back to man at times.

I'm not sure he'd get the same respect from veterans as he would from 18 year old kids. But I never heard of recruits wanting to transfer from Kentucky when they get there either like they had for other coaches, so it isn't like he's hard to play for.

I'd personally go elsewhere, but I prefer Calipari to Hollins, Dunleavy, Karl, and other bigger name NBA coaches.

exactly my thinking. I will add Byron scott to that list too.

prefer JVG or go with the guy with highest potential
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I don't discount Ollie as a choice. He's got the leadership and knowledge. The question is does he have the desire and ability to handle what comes in a large market.

also he just joined UConn no need to jump ship so soon
LADYNASTY
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LADYNASTY wrote:
24 wrote:

Mostly man to man with features like forcing opponents into areas and trapping them there, funneling, etc. But he starts with aggressive stopping the ball (the flip side of his dribble drive starting the O), and tends to get them into their defense by first teaching the O and making them guard it.

FWIW, here's a quote from him on his philosophy:

"You want to have someone with a high motor, a guy like Michael Kidd-Gilchrist," Calipari says. "The high motor guys are easier to teach. The low motor guys are harder to teach because they stop all the time. It's the hardest thing for a guy who wants to stop all the time to learn he can't. It starts in the recruiting process and how you present it. We present it as: If you don't guard people you aren't going to play."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/george_dohrmann/11/05/Kentucky-John-Calipari/index.html#ixzz2yKA5Ec00

If that's the case, then I'd like the hire. Unfortunately I feel like it's just a leverage ploy from agents. But I certainly would welcome someone like Calipari over these NBA retreads.

With Calipari, it seems like you'd get a bit of Pat Riley type. Smart and charismatic. Good with the media, and someone who'd embrace the LA lifestyle. The Lakers need that right now. Someone who can take the media spotlight off ownership for a little while.

And if this is the direction Jim/Mitch want to go, I'd applaud it. I'd rather take the risk and see Calipari fail then watch a Mike Dunleavy-type patrolling the sidelines for two years, leading us to the same results as D'Antoni.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

Anyone else find it interesting that after 15 pages of replies to this thread that Jim Buss, I mean Ventura Laker Fan has not made a comment. Hmmmm!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Can you elaborate a bit more on the latter part of your comment? Do you think he doesn't like the limelight? I understand UCONN is no Kentucky, but I guess we'll see within the following days (and possibly years) whether he likes the spotlight.
Megatron24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject:

Stan Van Gundy would be a good choice as well.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:

Can you elaborate a bit more on the latter part of your comment? Do you think he doesn't like the limelight? I understand UCONN is no Kentucky, but I guess we'll see within the following days (and possibly years) whether he likes the spotlight.

It's not a matter of what I think. It's a question. Does he want the spotlight of a big market? Does being from LA mean he wants to take that on? Is it in his makeup? I don't know. That's an important thing. One of the main reasons both Phil and Riley thrived in LA is because they both not only accepted the spotlight, expectations, and pressure, they craved it. Ollie needs to have that if he's going to succeed in LA.

That's why I don't discount him (the unknown), but I'm not all over the bandwagon. He's an excellent coach, but i don't know if he's a bright lights guy. He might prefer a smaller market. Some guys do. That's why I worry with OKC. They have good management and talent, and are familiar to him, and have no big press breathing down his neck. Much better jump off point IMO. Unless he really wants the show.
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Anyone else find it interesting that after 15 pages of replies to this thread that Jim Buss, I mean Ventura Laker Fan has not made a comment. Hmmmm!!!

i find it more interesting that after 15 pages of replies to this thread, you couldn't find anything better to post. Hmmmmm!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17
Jump to: