Rex Chapman says John Calipari to the Lakers is a "done deal". (Mitch says its not true p.4)(Calipari denies it p.8)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Anyone else find it interesting that after 15 pages of replies to this thread that Jim Buss, I mean Ventura Laker Fan has not made a comment. Hmmmm!!!

Knock it off.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

Calipari doesn't have the gonads to take on the Lakers position. He is going to hide as a college coach, because he isn't a guy that can handle the true pressure of coaching at the highest level.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject:

Rex Chapman was on Dan Patrick Today

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
pd23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject:

I would also like to look at Jay Wright.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
Calipari doesn't have the gonads to take on the Lakers position. He is going to hide as a college coach, because he isn't a guy that can handle the true pressure of coaching at the highest level.

I suspect you know very little about Calipari.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

You are correct. Hoping a little reverse psych. will get him here though.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

The guy pulled a Jack Haley. Dude has no credibilty now.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
24 wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

You are correct. Hoping a little reverse psych. will get him here though.

Well played.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Coach Cal isn't coming to the NBA. He never made it to the pros as a player and his one foray in the NBA ended in a disaster. I'm sure people would like to point to Pete Caroll as an example of a recent college coach who made it in the pros, but Pete was a pro coach who went down to the college ranks to revive his career. Not to mention he gets paid plenty to coach at Kentucky and can use the leverage of the pro ranks to get even more money. Plus he gets to recruit kids to come to his school which is a big freedom he doesn't have in the pros.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:

pd23 wrote:
Maybe Cal wants to leave because he might have commited some violations along the way at Kentucky and he might want to get out before they come out. Just an idea, he has been know for this at Memphis and Umass.

That is the only way I think Coach Cal leaves Kentucky. Because the NCAA investigators have some dirt on him. We've seen college coaches who loved the college style leave for the pros because the NCAA was ready to lay down the hammer on the program and the way one to avoid it was to jump to the pros. Leaving the school with the penalties but the coach gets away scot free and maybe even get a raise in income while they are at it.
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Coach Cal isn't coming to the NBA. He never made it to the pros as a player and his one foray in the NBA ended in a disaster. I'm sure people would like to point to Pete Caroll as an example of a recent college coach who made it in the pros, but Pete was a pro coach who went down to the college ranks to revive his career. Not to mention he gets paid plenty to coach at Kentucky and can use the leverage of the pro ranks to get even more money. Plus he gets to recruit kids to come to his school which is a big freedom he doesn't have in the pros.

if the calipari thing is serious than I agree with this......Calipari has always been in charge even when he was with the Nets. He'd not only have 1 but 2 guys he above him in Jim and Mitch....maybe it's not a big deal for Calipari at this point but it gets tough for college coaches to adjust to the pros in that way.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

This is the guy that coaches Randle at Kentucky right?
See where I'm going with this
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SickwithIt1010
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

tom wrote:
Question,why is this still a topic being discussed. Both sides have denied it. Rex has back peddled. Nothing to see here.

Because thats how it goes with almost any coaching change that gets leaked before they want it too.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

wow what a douche....backpaddler
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
This is the guy that coaches Randle at Kentucky right?
See where I'm going with this

I think he would be on board with Exum too. He loves his guards and he's coached some great ones.

Do I think Cal can win us a title? No. Do I think he can recruit high prized free agents and get a team to perform really well? Yes.

He might not be the championship coach but he's a great guy to get us out this negative perception surrounding us and he's fantastic with Mitch to get you guys you covet. I've never heard a player complain about Callipari so I think he would do really well here.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:

I'm more interested in Calipari's coaching philosophies, than his resume. I don't watch college ball, but I'm interested to know which NBA coach is comparable to Calipari's style of coaching? I'm hoping someone says Phil Jackson, or Pop.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
DimesnD wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
I don't know much about Calipari but if he's a huge recruiter like you guys make him out to be, then that is probably one of the reasons why we'd even consider him (if we are).

Two theories on winning.
1) having too much talent still requires a decent coach. A bad coach will waste it all (del Harris) Spoestra isn't a great coach but he has the best talent- he wins.

2) Not having talent requires an extra-ordinary coach and a fully-engaged team philosophy. A bad coach with average talent will be a lotto team. A great coach will make the most out of their talent. Thibodeau has a defensive philosophy - all players buy into it. Noah/Hinrich/Boozer/Butler/Dunleavy compared to pau/kendal/Hill/wes/meeks aren't worlds apart. Thibs would likely get 10+ more wins out of that lakers lineup with Kaman/Swaggy as reserves.

That brings it to calipari. He isn't a bad coach nor is he great. But you are spot on. He knows how to get talent. his specialty - elite talent. And that's what the lakers need. D'antoni is the opposite. he repels elite talent and elevates scrubs. Once the talent have signed, what ever system cal runs, players will follow their coach, because he's the reason they chose to be there.
tHIBS aint getting any more wins this season with this many hurt players. sorry aint happening.

again yall mis the point. who does thibs always have to anchor his defense? a defensive anchor(KG or Noah). is there anyone on our roster that resembles either one of those guys defensively? NO.

there goes your great thibs defense. and i like thibs.

It seems your point is this: no great coach could win with this injured team.

But that doesn't answer the question of whether MDA is a good coach. It just tells me that at best, this season was not a fair measuring stick due to injuries.

He needs a specific type of team to succeed and yes, he needs a HOF level PG in the style of Nash to run it. We aren't getting one of those anytime soon.

I would take Noah/Hinrich and Butler over any of our starters Defensively especially NOAH!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
I'm more interested in Calipari's coaching philosophies, than his resume. I don't watch college ball, but I'm interested to know which NBA coach is comparable to Calipari's style of coaching? I'm hoping someone says Phil Jackson, or Pop.

He has a combination of Riley and Phil attitude wise. Tends to coach a bit like Phil, at least in practice. Gets the team going on the offense, which he uses to teach the defense without telling them, and uses film to break down their image of themselves and what they do, works them into a collective. Very well liked, has a bit of that us and them edge.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:

One of the factors not being discussed is Calipari's Salary.

I think he's making 5 mil a year right now. So to convince him to come I think you have to offer him a hefty pay raise. I can't see us offering $6-7 mil to Calipari when he hasn't done anything in the league. Doc is getting 7 right now and he's the highest paid.

I'd love to see either Ollie or Calipari but I'm not sure it happens. I wouldn't bet on it, but I would love to see it.

That said Calipari is not appreciated at all in Kentucky so he could be willing to go for like 5.5. If that's the case, I would be a happy man.

_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:

Well he has a bad hip like Phil. The guy is the opposite of Phil or even Pop on the sidelines. Getting totally worked up over everything. Wears himself out. Question is can he survive a 100 games a year in the NBA vs under 40 in NCAA. If he comes over and that seems a real longshot he needs to calm down to last. Here is a quote about him..

“I once told him that just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean that people are out to get you. John coaches through that paranoia and turns that paranoia of nobody liking my team into fuel. That’s when he does his best work.”
mambomamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

rumor should have said lakers are not keeping d'antoni after this season.

then kupchak can confirm or deny it then we all know at the getgo
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject:

NastyNas_87 wrote:
world wide wes + calipari = lebron james

imagine this:

lakers hire Calipari. land #3 pick and draft Dante Exum. sign LeBron James.

Exum
Kobe
LeBron

2015 nba champs

As crazy as that might sound, I think it is possible, not sure about Exum but we will have a lottery pick.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Faceman wrote:
I don't want Calipari. He already showed how NBA capable he is.

Last century. Of course, nothing has changed since then.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

Well he has a bad hip like Phil. The guy is the opposite of Phil or even Pop on the sidelines. Getting totally worked up over everything. Wears himself out. Question is can he survive a 100 games a year in the NBA vs under 40 in NCAA. If he comes over and that seems a real longshot he needs to calm down to last. Here is a quote about him..

“I once told him that just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean that people are out to get you. John coaches through that paranoia and turns that paranoia of nobody liking my team into fuel. That’s when he does his best work.”

Sounds like him and Kobe are kindred spirits.
lakeshow2422
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dFGIcV-hH5w/Uoz0JKRLXOI/AAAAAAAAEdI/QTMXdwaT3Ac/s1600/AChance.jpeg
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17
Jump to: